Golfspy_CG2

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

They are.

Headed out tomorrow morning with the new boss. Hopefully I don’t embarrass myself...

Have to reschedule. Probably a good thing... for now.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, golfertrb said:

I want thank Shankster for his kind words and for allowing me to share my thoughts about the Blueprint irons. As I have said in other places on the site, in my golfing life I have bounced back and forth between a forged blade and Ping irons. When I first started playing golf at 20 years old, my initial "real" set of irons were Ping Eye irons with Ping Eye 2 woods. The first set of irons that I bought new were Lynx Parallax but they didn't last long because the blade bug bit me early on and I wanted a set of Mizuno blades but I had never played a blade so I purchased a set of used Founders Club 200  Series that I still have today. Those irons are fantastic - very, very thin sole and top-line and will give you exactly what you put into them. The problem with blades, of course, is that when you aren't swinging well - they are quite penalizing so I wanted something more forgiving and I bought a set of Ping Zing's - woods and irons. I played those for awhile until I missed the playability of blades and purchased a full set of Mizuno MP 14 1-PW. I played those irons till the chrome literally came off. These represent perfection for blades for me and the benchmark all other irons are compared to. When I wore those irons out, I bought 3-PW of the i3+ Blades and I played those until I missed a forged iron and bought MP 57's. In 2012, I bought Saqra 1150 3-PW blades which are Endo forged and I played those until I bought the i500's. All this to say, that when I say the Blueprint irons, I told me wife, "I'll never need to leave Ping again!" The truth is that after my two back surgeries, including a fusion, I just don't have the ability to practice like I once did and a full set of blades is really not practical. I like the i500 - they perform great for me and they have the look of a blade but the forgiveness more in keeping with a cavity back. That said, the shorter irons in particular have a bit of a clunky feel and do not move through the turf the way I want. Enter the Blueprint irons. 

I had initially planned on ordering 8-PW but the lofts disparates were too great so I ordered 9-PW to see how I get along with them. I ordered them in the Power Spec so that lofts matched the i500 and then I waited...

Then finally this happened:

IMG_Aug122019at101942PM.jpg.03503a475bf62045e3669b976f6dc050.jpg

As always, Ping sends their irons with the neoprene individual covers which, though not beautiful, are extremely effective:

IMG_Aug122019at102120PM.jpg.fdbc9e273318c67813fb5d27a8deca66.jpg

The Blueprints are just lovely and blend relatively well with the i500's:

IMG_Aug122019at102257PM.jpg.3b8cbcb5352222194f0d2324484aac46.jpg

IMG_Aug122019at102357PM.jpg.1386f32b6ec4b874f01d840e9e0550d9.jpg

I played today and the Blueprint are amazing! Good enough that I'm thinking about adding 6-8 - if I go to six iron, I can eliminate some of the gapping issues but time will tell. I will leave you with just some initial thoughts:

I had two holes today where I had 119 and 121 and the PW set up easy birdies on both. The PW is also exceptional to chip with around the greens. The first hole I used the PW to chip with was a long green where I had hit the front apron of the green with 31 paces to the hole. I chipped the ball to 3 ft for a great par and I did it just instinctively. I didn't have grind over it - it just worked. I had a similar shot of a par 5 where I was just short of the green on the my second shot and chipped to kick-in birdie range. So good. I was also faced with a shot I specifically bought the Blueprints for today. I had 119 into the wind and I hit a little 9 iron that came off exactly as I hoped it would. I have a lot more to say but I'll leave it at that tonight. I so appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts and I look forward to doing so moving forward. Thanks again Shankster!

IMG_Aug122019at102201PM.jpg

Great stuff here, do you notice a change in feel between the I500s and the Blueprints?

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Have to reschedule. Probably a good thing... for now.

Haha, it will give you time to find that fine balance of playing well but not beating the new boss too badly 😁😎

• Like 1

Great stuff here, do you notice a change in feel between the I500s and the Blueprints?

Great question. I don't mind the feel of the i500's - they feel solid and lively but don't compare to the sensation/sound of hitting a one piece forged muscle back. The Blueprint are sensational - firm but hugs the ball. They feel like an extension of your hands and chipping with them is intuitive. They are very different in feel but both are quite satisfying to me in different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

On 8/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, Shankster said:

No need to experiment. Make a change.

Love the peer pressure!

• Like 2

Went to the range last night and just hit nine iron and pitching wedge. High/low, fade/draw - whatever you want. They are not as soft as other blades I have played but the feel is so so solid. They do EXACTLY what I hoped they would.

Played today and never hit the 9 iron (which was weird) but hit the wedge 4 times ranging from 97-121 yards and made birdie 3 out of 4 times. The first time I hit it was 115 yards into a breeze with a back right pin - absolutely stuffed it to 18". The coolest shot though was a third shot into the par 5 16th - I had 97 yards and the ball was literally laying on a huge leaf in the fairway. The shot is to an elevated green and the pin was back left - I wanted to hit a low skipper in there and it turned out exactly as I envisioned it. The one shot I hit with it that I failed to make birdie was my third shot after having to punch out from the trees after an errant tee shot on 17. I didn't quite make it to the fairway and had a birds nest of a lie in some knarly Bermuda. I had 115 to a green that is about 6 yards downhill that requires a precise shot over water - I opened the blade a bit and hit a lovely 3/4 shot that landed pin high leaving less than 8ft away. My confidence is really growing and my wife (who I took with me today) pointed to the wedge in the bag and said "Wow - your shots are really good with that club." I've added a picture to illustrate what she meant:

photo.jpg

• Like 8

Went to the range last night and just hit nine iron and pitching wedge. High/low, fade/draw - whatever you want. They are not as soft as other blades I have played but the feel is so so solid. They do EXACTLY what I hoped they would.

Played today and never hit the 9 iron (which was weird) but hit the wedge 4 times ranging from 97-121 yards and made birdie 3 out of 4 times. The first time I hit it was 115 yards into a breeze with a back right pin - absolutely stuffed it to 18". The coolest shot though was a third shot into the par 5 16th - I had 97 yards and the ball was literally laying on a huge leaf in the fairway. The shot is to an elevated green and the pin was back left - I wanted to hit a low skipper in there and it turned out exactly as I envisioned it. The one shot I hit with it that I failed to make birdie was my third shot after having to punch out from the trees after an errant tee shot on 17. I didn't quite make it to the fairway and had a birds nest of a lie in some knarly Bermuda. I had 115 to a green that is about 6 yards downhill that requires a precise shot over water - I opened the blade a bit and hit a lovely 3/4 shot that landed pin high leaving less than 8ft away. My confidence is really growing and my wife (who I took with me today) pointed to the wedge in the bag and said "Wow - your shots are really good with that club." I've added a picture to illustrate what she meant:

photo.thumb.jpg.3e963bd0c624fb99ecbf5fed96a3319a.jpg

Nice work... but please clean that club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Nice work... but please clean that club.

Don't fret! That picture was taken just prior to the scrubbing they all got 🙂

• Like 2

Ladies and gentlemen...

Today was the first day I came to appreciate these irons. Wow!!

I’ve been working on this single plane thing for a very short time, but I can already tell it is perfect for me. I had lost distance and more alarming was the accuracy. I used to rely on my laser beam iron shots. But have lately been watching them dive hard right...

Today though was a break through. I was planning on playing 9, but they were rather busy and had the special Olympic’s there today, which was pretty cool.

Put 2 hours of range work in. Set my phone up for video, but it didn’t record because if overheated!!!

Started off with some wedge shots, then mid irons, long irons, and finally on to the woods. My offline shots were only a few yards either way off target. An older couple stopped to watch me hit balls for 5 minutes or so I couldn’t mess those ones up.

Anyways, Moral of my story, Finally!! I was hitting the ball where and how I was supposed to. I remember why I like Forged clubs so much, that sweet spot mixed with the club entering the turf after the ball and the sensation that is transmitted through the shaft I am unable to put into words, so I’ll just say they left me speechless. So solid, and straight it was magical.

I hit these one right after another. One hop in nearly the same spot and into this little nest. 100 yard knock downs.

IMG_6318.JPG

Still so far my only gripe is the finish wearing so quickly.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Ladies and gentlemen...

Today was the first day I came to appreciate these irons. Wow!!

I’ve been working on this single plane thing for a very short time, but I can already tell it is perfect for me. I had lost distance and more alarming was the accuracy. I used to rely on my laser beam iron shots. But have lately been watching them dive hard right...

Today though was a break through. I was planning on playing 9, but they were rather busy and had the special Olympic’s there today, which was pretty cool.

Put 2 hours of range work in. Set my phone up for video, but it didn’t record because if overheated!!!

Started off with some wedge shots, then mid irons, long irons, and finally on to the woods. My offline shots were only a few yards either way off target. An older couple stopped to watch me hit balls for 5 minutes or so I couldn’t mess those ones up.

Anyways, Moral of my story, Finally!! I was hitting the ball where and how I was supposed to. I remember why I like Forged clubs so much, that sweet spot mixed with the club entering the turf after the ball and the sensation that is transmitted through the shaft I am unable to put into words, so I’ll just say they left me speechless. So solid, and straight it was magical.

I hit these one right after another. One hop in nearly the same spot and into this little nest. 100 yard knock downs.

IMG_6318.thumb.JPG.06017af784dd86b4bd422dc749b55c8b.JPG

Still so far my only gripe is the finish wearing so quickly.

I didn’t have my i210s very long, but the finish was definitely an issue with those. I get the idea of the Ping finish has to do with water, but I wish they’d have chrome options just so one’s clubs wouldn’t look 2 years old after four rounds of golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I was able to hit a few shots today with the Blueprint irons that were really wonderful - knockdowns, hold off shots, high, low, draws, fades - just so, so solid. And surprisingly forgiving for a blade. I hit one shot in particular a bit on the toe with the 9 iron and it carried a bunker and set up a birdie I did not deserve. With only having 2 clubs I don't have a tremendous amount to offer but these clubs are doing exactly what I wanted them to do, which is about as high a compliment I can offer.

• Like 5

Headed out tomorrow. For one of PMookies favorite rounds...

Just got the text from the boss...

“Golf. 1000”

Love it.

Been too long since I’ve given a meaningful update. Hopefully have some things to talk about tomorrow.

• Like 6

I have really enjoyed the i500's - I feel like they have helped me get my game back but the short irons were difficult to finesse; enter the Blueprint irons. Played Kickingbird in Edmond today - course was in great condition - we had rain this morning so the greens were really receptive and rolling great. I had two shots today that demonstrate why the Blueprint irons are so great: on the par 5 15th I had 102 for my third shot - playing into a bit of a breeze from the fairway - I hit a little PW to 6ft

IMG_4301.jpg.9faa44b927300dae9003c7bb27455010.jpg

On 17, a 407 yard par 4, I had 124 from the light rough:

IMG_4302.jpg.8fbf3b421feeac82749983adc9d13cda.jpg

Because of how great the PW is, I have taken the Glide 50* out so that I could put my Adams 4555 19* 5 wood back in the bag which worked out perfectly for me today - I had a 2 putt birdie on the par 5 12th due to the 5 wood but I digress - the Blueprint irons are legit.

• Like 4

Glad you’re having success with them! What do you think about a 6-8 capper playing them?

• Like 2

Glad you’re having success with them! What do you think about a 6-8 capper playing them?

That's a great question. Probably but it honestly depends on how good a ball striker they are. I do find these extremely forgiving for a blade due to the tungsten in the toe but honestly a more forgiving iron would likely be better in terms of scoring potential.

• Like 4

Good intentions on golf, but there was a giant tournament... maybe this weekend.

Work meeting tomorrow. I’ll have to stay overnight, and it just so happens there is a course at the hotel...

The test is going to be straight up against my previous set, prepping for the tournament on Friday. Ok it’s just a scramble, but I still want to win.

I don’t see the Blueprint’s getting taken out of the bag, but I am doing a one for one shot on the course. Mano a mano.

IMG_6350.JPG

• Like 7

Work meeting tomorrow. I’ll have to stay overnight, and it just so happens there is a course at the hotel...

The test is going to be straight up against my previous set, prepping for the tournament on Friday. Ok it’s just a scramble, but I still want to win.

I don’t see the Blueprint’s getting taken out of the bag, but I am doing a one for one shot on the course. Mano a mano.

IMG_6350.thumb.JPG.07fd5e5379ee2fa2e897ce84777b0262.JPG

That should be a great test - that's something I would enjoy doing but honestly I love a bit of forgiveness when I get into the middle irons and above. What iron is that? 7?

• Like 2

That should be a great test - that's something I would enjoy doing but honestly I love a bit of forgiveness when I get into the middle irons and above. What iron is that? 7?

6 irons.

The wedge from the Blueprint irons continues to impress - had two lovely shots Monday one from 102 and the other from 98 that were just amazing - both shots set up birdies. So easy to control and flight the ball. It has literally made my 50* of no value because I can hit the shots I need with the pitching wedge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2