Golfspy_CG2

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

Our Sponsors

Oooo it's nearly Christmas, do I sense a stage two in the air?

I’ve been working on it. But 12 hour work days as of late, on top of kids ballet and whatnot.

A recent chain of events might have some exciting news for the Shanks Haus. I’ll know more tomorrow afternoon.

I am doing my best not to let you all down.

I managed to play 7 holes last weekend. It was about 40° I think. Even thinned one, and still love them.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I’ve been working on it. But 12 hour work days as of late, on top of kids ballet and whatnot.

A recent chain of events might have some exciting news for the Shanks Haus. I’ll know more tomorrow afternoon.

I am doing my best not to let you all down.

I managed to play 7 holes last weekend. It was about 40° I think. Even thinned one, and still love them.

After hitting these last Saturday, you are my hero.  I was able to successfully size down to the i210's and i500's, but the BP's are in a league of their own.  To be honest, I like the look of the i500's the best.  If they had shifted my numbers more, I might be tempted.

Don't let them grind you to a pebble. An older colleague once told me that no matter how fast I turn-over the inbox, it will be re-filled just as fast.

• Like 5

Might have it done by Christmas Eve. I’ll be working tomorrow and Monday all day. Even more problems arose.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2019 at 7:10 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Don't let them grind you to a pebble. An older colleague once told me that no matter how fast I turn-over the inbox, it will be re-filled just as fast.

Words of wisdom.  That's why people at work that know me know to call me when they don't see a reply immediately.

• Like 3

Well DLK... I wouldn’t make a very good Santa.

Can’t deliver the goods on Christmas. I’m just not satisfied with how it sounds and the photos I have, I don’t want to rush out a bad Stage 2.

Been the busiest month that I can ever remember.

My apologies everyone.

Soon.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Can’t deliver the goods on Christmas. I’m just not satisfied with how it sounds and the photos I have, I don’t want to rush out a bad Stage 2.

I’m a big believer in slow and steady for the W.

Just enjoy Christmas with your fam, brother.

We’ll still be here whenever you’re ready.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

Been the busiest month that I can ever remember.

My apologies everyone.

Soon.

No need for apologies, we know you won't share until it's just right 😁😎

• Like 3

Great reviews so far shankster. I just hit the bp’s today up in Canada at a balmy 27 deg f. Obviously inside a hitting bay. They felt amazing and really looking at getting a set. I found a Used set online but they looked in horrible condition. May have been the previous owner but just wanted to hear your opinion on the hydropearl 2.0 finish. Thanks man.  

• Like 1

Great reviews so far shankster. I just hit the bp’s today up in Canada at a balmy 27 deg f. Obviously inside a hitting bay. They felt amazing and really looking at getting a set. I found a Used set online but they looked in horrible condition. May have been the previous owner but just wanted to hear your opinion on the hydropearl 2.0 finish. Thanks man.  

The Hydropearl 2.0 takes some getting used to. I tested the i200’s, I didn’t care for that finish at all.

The second generation is far better, but still needs some work in the durability department.

I am working on the finishing touches for the stage 2 part of the review. Which I address my thoughts, but since we are on the topic....

I think especially on the BP’s they should have went with chrome or black even. They get dents and dings just looking at them. I don’t like taking them to the range, even if I clean the bucket, they still take on some wear and tear I hadn’t seen before. Even compared to a softer Bridgestone forges wedge.
  • Like 2
  • Off Topic 1

The blueprints are a great iron. They are small and thin but surprisingly forgiving for what they are. Would love to own a set. 

• Like 1

Just finished reading my way through the entire thread.  Lovely read.  😎

I admit I am biased, having a Ram Tour Grind (among others) habit...

• Like 1

Just finished reading my way through the entire thread.  Lovely read.  
I admit I am biased, having a Ram Tour Grind (among others) habit...

Thanks for reading. And I’m glad you got some substance out of it.

My first clubs were some ancient Wilson Blades, I loved them... but there is nothing like these new blades out.

I wouldn’t be scared to hit these in near freezing temps. You’d have to pay me to hit a 70’s/80’s and maybe even 90’s blade any more.

I had access to a barn full of old clubs, so I am sure I hit some Ram Tour Grinds, I remember using a Ram Driver and had a bucket load of Ram golf balls.

I’d call my self a modern traditionalist, I don’t like big huge clubs, from the driver on down. These fit the bill nicely. (I think the stage 2 says that exact same thing).
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

Thanks for reading. And I’m glad you got some substance out of it.

My first clubs were some ancient Wilson Blades, I loved them... but there is nothing like these new blades out.

I wouldn’t be scared to hit these in near freezing temps. You’d have to pay me to hit a 70’s/80’s and maybe even 90’s blade any more.

I had access to a barn full of old clubs, so I am sure I hit some Ram Tour Grinds, I remember using a Ram Driver and had a bucket load of Ram golf balls.

I’d call my self a modern traditionalist, I don’t like big huge clubs, from the driver on down. These fit the bill nicely. (I think the stage 2 says that exact same thing).

Thinking a bit more about your review comments, especially about bounce.

There are a few blades out there with bounce, but not that many.  Hogan and Mizuno irons both have a fair bit of bounce in some of their models, I'm not sure who was first, but guessing Hogan, based on Larry Bobka comments regarding Tiger's first Titleist irons.  Have a set of Mizuno MS-11s, which range from 5* to 7* in the 3-9 irons, and 8* in the PW.  It's not that much compared to the Blueprints, but in their time, it's rather a lot, LOL. 

I found in using those Mizunos how much I liked having that extra bounce, which I'd increased by bending the set to 21*-49* in the 3-PW (they have same specs as MP29).  It plays quite well for me in a great many conditions.  My swing is a bit steeper than some, thanks to somewhat shortish arms, and the bounce can be a bit handy.  After picking up a set of MP37s this past summer, I rediscovered the joy of that bounce (the 37s range from 5*-7*).

The relative lack of bounce is the only real complaint I might have about the Ram Tour Grinds I've attached myself to.  Even the last couple iterations, the FX Nickels and TG-898s, don't have much, if any, bounce.

Bounce is our friend.  🙂

• Like 1