revkev

I hate to fly

Our Sponsors

3 hours ago, GB13 said:

I am not a great flyer. I do it when I have to, but I definitely don't enjoy it. Strangely my biggest mental hurdles are takeoff and landing. Once we are at cruising altitude I feel pretty safe, but I definitely have butterflies when landing and taking off. 

I heard that the planes land themselves now? Don't know if that eases your discomfort or not?

Personally, I hate flying as well but it's because I get sick and Benadryl/Dramamine doesn't always work, especially if there's turbulence.

• Sad 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Guess you wouldn't like those long over water flights then. When we visit my daughter in Australia, it's about 15 hrs. over water from LA. 

Like them, no.

It hasn’t prevented me from flying however. My wife and I spent our honeymoon on Kauai on a 10 hour shot from Kennedy. Hawaii was un-be-lievable and I’d go back in a heartbeat.
  • Like 2

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

24 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Like them, no.

It hasn’t prevented me from flying however. My wife and I spent our honeymoon on Kauai on a 10 hour shot from Kennedy. Hawaii was un-be-lievable and I’d go back in a heartbeat.

I flew direct to Laguardia from Honolulu. Nothing like passing out on the plane, waking up excited that you might be close, and seeing that you still have 6 hours left 😓

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

41 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Like them, no.

You should try Bermuda - only 650 miles from the east coast. We've been to Hawaii a couple of times but hate the plane ride = no easy way from Cleveland. 

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

I heard that the planes land themselves now? Don't know if that eases your discomfort or not?

Personally, I hate flying as well but it's because I get sick and Benadryl/Dramamine doesn't always work, especially if there's turbulence.

To be honest, knowing that no one on the plane has control of it, and that I'm relying on a program to land a plane makes it worse. I mean, I know flying is safer than driving, but it just seems unatural. It also doesn't help that my #1 fear is heights.  

• Like 4

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

It's not the actual plane ride that I hate, as much as it is the whole airport/airline thing.

Exactly!
A 2 hour flight takes 8 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I flew direct to Laguardia from Honolulu. Nothing like passing out on the plane, waking up excited that you might be close, and seeing that you still have 6 hours left 

Hahaha yup! And when we arrived at Kennedy I felt like I was in a parallel universe.
  • Like 1

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

I would rather take a bus.

On a flight into Seattle once, we came over Mt. Rainer and dropped a good bit of altitude, the guy sitting next to me was on the overhead.

Ever since... not excited.

I love airports, and planes. Just don’t like flying.

• Like 4

No issues with flying, but there have been some planes that made me wonder about their flight worthiness.

The last trip was from Colorado Springs to Dulles via Denver. Small snow storm in Denver threw everything off. I had to fly from Denver to LAX to Dulles on the red eye.

Landed at 7, started the meeting at 8. Long, long day.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rev I will fess up - I hate flying too or more specifically the take off and landing. Good grief I hate it. We just got back from Orlando and I told my wife that I was driving next time - I can't remember her exact words but the vibe was something like "suck it up crazy man." So there's that. But I digress - I'm with you Rev!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I love flying! If I had the time and money, I'd take lessons and try and get my licence.

• Like 3

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

image.png

To be honest, knowing that no one on the plane has control of it, and that I'm relying on a program to land a plane makes it worse. I mean, I know flying is safer than driving, but it just seems unatural. It also doesn't help that my #1 fear is heights.  

I have a commercial pilot in my congregation. I can assure you that the pilot flies the plane. Certainly there are lots of automated things happening but in the end you need the pilot to take off, land, exercise altitude or flight path changes.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

34 minutes ago, revkev said:

I have a commercial pilot in my congregation. I can assure you that the pilot flies the plane. Certainly there are lots of automated things happening but in the end you need the pilot to take off, land, exercise altitude or flight path changes.

Good, that definitely makes me feel better. 

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I used to love flying- I still love the initial acceleration but after we take off and we're at 'no return' height I now have anxiety.

Doesn't help that I'm flying again in a few days.

• Like 3

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

So made it home safe - but wow - we experienced the outer bands of Barry landing -

So with 45 minutes left i the flight instead of the typical gentle descent we got a quick ascent from 33 to 38 thousand feet and a shift East. We followed the spine of Florida down and a quicker descent - all, including flight attendants, seat belted,bumping around and quickly descending through thunder clouds to TPA -

Oh boy - I’m having a scotch or two now.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

So made it home safe - but wow - we experienced the outer bands of Barry landing -

So with 45 minutes left i the flight instead of the typical gentle descent we got a quick ascent from 33 to 38 thousand feet and a shift East. We followed the spine of Florida down and a quicker descent - all, including flight attendants, seat belted,bumping around and quickly descending through thunder clouds to TPA -

Just think how much more you appreciate the solid ground under your feet.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Descending into Florida in the summer is always a treat during PM spot showers. The cloud formations are always beautiful but it certainly doesn’t make for a smooth ride.

• Like 4

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

I’ll usually checkout www.aviationweather.gov and fronts maps about a week prior to flying.

The aviation site has PIREPS (pilot reports) of turbulence and or smooth air (negative turbulence).

It helps reduce anxiety and I can estimate where we’ll expect to find some potholes.

The good news is that the airlines are in the business of uninterrupted flights and they’ll do whatever they can to find smooth air.

If you’re familiar with typical flight routes you’ll be able to see if you’re in for a good one or not based upon any deviation or length of flight.

One other thing you can do is go to flightaware and they’ll show you the accurate flight time and altitude.

• Like 2

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

In my line of work, I fly a fair amount.  Not as much as the consultants who work for me, who fly out every Sunday and fly home every Thursday night, but generally once or twice a month.  I'm not an anxious flyer; I just hate the experience of it all.  I'm just old enough to remember when flying was special and when all flyers were treated like royalty.  My mom would make me wear a coat and tie.

I have enough status on American to be able to fly standby when I want (I usually schedule myself for a later flight, then try to get to the airport with enough time to walk to the gate and try to board the flight before), but not enough to get upgraded much.  

Where the experience used to be uniformly outstanding, it's now very hit and miss.  I've dealt with gate agents that worked their asses off to get me on a flight and attendants that have really gone over and above, and I've dealt with people who really just don't give a rip.  The cost of lower prices is inconsistent service.

Thankfully I'm not an anxious flyer, but I certainly get it.  I wish I could sleep on planes, but it just doesn't work for me so I usually just do work.  I live near a second-tier airport (Richmond, VA), so I rarely fly direct anywhere I'm going.  I'm intimately familiar with the Charlotte airport by now.  Among other things, I know exactly where to go to buy a new power cord for my Mac when I leave mine at a client site 😊

Given the amount of flying I do, I'd been lucky with cancellations until just recently, but it couldn't have come at a worse time.  I made President's Club at work this year, and my wife and I spent a wonderful four days in Punta Mita, MX.  We were leaving a day early to get home to see my oldest daughter's Senior Capstone presentation for the project she'd been working on all year.  DFW was socked in with electrical storms, so our flight was canceled.  We all had to go back through customs to get our luggage, then go back to the ticketing agents to make new arrangements.  The agent we worked with was phenomenal, and she managed to get us on standby on a flight that would bring us back to Richmond via LAX -> CLT -> RIC.  Needless to say, we were happy just to have a chance.  There was one open seat on the flight, but several people had not checked in.  We sat at the gate and waited and hoped.  My wife got excited when they made the final call and there were still seats, but I told her that they'd make a couple more final calls, and they'd personally page anyone not checked in.  The Hernandez family had not checked in, and then we saw three people strolling in our direction.  Sure enough, the Hernandez's showed up at the last possible second, and we were shut out.  I had to go back through customs again to get the luggage, then go back to ticketing to try to get home.  All the DFW flights the next day were oversold, so we wound up flying that same LAX -> CLT -> RIC route the next night.  That took 18 hours and got us home the morning after my daughter's presentation.

So, yeah, sometimes flying sucks. 

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Reminds me of the many Horrible Flights we had during my work career. Don’t miss it for one minute.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list