TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Putt Out Golf Practice System

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Each of you got the mirror, gate, mat, and puttout. What is you goal or skill that you think each will be improving and do you think you need them all?

Mirror - Get my eyes over the ball.  I have a tendency to lean back when I putt, with my eyes too far inside, my weight on my heels, my hands too low and the toe in the air.  This forces me to lean farther forward.  Allie has the same problem and misses short putts because of it.

Gate - Small target/small miss.  I like the feedback.

Mat - Rolls great.  Yes, it's only six feet long, but if I can extend my "always make" zone from 3 feet to 4 feet, I'll one putt more and three putt less.

PuttOUT - Gotta have a target.  Feeling like you made a putt gives you a sense of accomplishment.  And returning the ball back to you makes it easy to use.

23 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Think of the skills as line, speed, read, stroke. In my mind line would be the gate, stroke would be the mirror, nothing for read and nothing for speed. You have to convince me that the return aspect of the puttout is speed since you are limited on distance; meaning how does this setup help you with speed control on 20 footers.

I agree with everything but speed.  The micro-target helps with perfect speed, which will lead to more putts lipping in instead of lipping out.  But you are correct; we are not going to get better on speed control on 20 footers.

In my mind, there are two reasons you practice:

1. Increase your one-putt distance.  Move your automatic make zone farther from the hole.  If you're automatic from two feet, increasing it to three feet lowers scores.
  2. Increase your three-putt distance.  If you start three putting at 20 feet, moving that to 25 feet lowers scores.

These tools definitely impact #1.  That's pretty obvious.  But they also help with #2.  If I increase my one-putt zone from two feet to three feet, I'm going to three-putt less.  Now, I also need to work on my lag putting, and this does not help with that.

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

As you go through the testing how do you compare the products to the various “DIY” approaches like a ruler, sleeve of balls, small mirror, etc. are these cost effective devices that warrant the cost.

Getting this stuff for free kind of blows up the whole perception of value, so that's tough to determine.  The PuttOUT mat is $90.  If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I might buy a BirdieBall mat instead.  But after rolling this up, throwing it in the car, driving for four hours and unrolling it in a hotel room, I think I like the PuttOUT mat better.  And the alignment lines really help you line up.  This mat is far, far better than a $30 mat from Dicks.

The mirror/gate is $70.  The lines and the notch are great, but I could just putt off of a mirror for much less.  The putt wouldn't roll correctly, but I could ensure that I get my eyes over the ball.  Unlike @Kanoito, I feel like I hit solid putts from the mirror, so I do like this mirror.

The trainer is wonderful.  I can only speak for myself, but forcing myself over and over to hit three foot putts to hit the micro-target gets me to practice those putts that I wouldn't bother with.  I can't get excited about making 50 three footers, but I can stand there and hit at the micro-target for a long time.

Could you get just about all of these benefits for less money?  Sure, if you're willing to invest some of your time to find them and put them together.  But for someone who is going to spend money on gadgets, these look like they're going to be a good value for the spend.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The mirror/gate is $70.  The lines and the notch are great, but I could just putt off of a mirror for much less.  The putt wouldn't roll correctly, but I could ensure that I get my eyes over the ball.  

Great feedback, thanks

I wasn’t advocating putting off the mirror but using it as a check for setup, which is really the intent of a mirror.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Great feedback, thanks

I wasn’t advocating putting off the mirror but using it as a check for setup, which is really the intent of a mirror.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me.  I can check my setup all I want, but hitting a bunch of putts with my eyes in the proper position, then seeing them hit my line is the feedback I need.  This mirror gives me that, whereas a regular mirror does not.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

More questionsemoji16.png

1. You haven’t missed a single putt inside 6’. Is that on course or puttout? If it is puttout, how often will you see that 6’ on the course and how does that translate to other putts?

2. How long is the putt for that drill?

3. A great point about mirrors. I setup off the ball so if a mirror is trying to get me to setup over the ball it will change my stroke. Basically do you change to fit a product or do you adapt to what you naturally need to do?

4. A few millimeters can make a big difference. The gate would be my primary aid to use since it addresses face control which could be considered one if the most important parts of putting. 1* off on face angle and you miss a straight 10 foot putt. The gate provides margin of error to ensure you are starting the ball on intended line. It can be use for any stroke length to see how consistent you are. Meaning I don’t need a target at 20 feet to see how accurate I am.

Thanks for your thoughts. Please keep the questions in mind as you go through you testing to see if you are improving your putting skills

I like  how you ask questions that I personally haven't even considered. This opens up other focus points to my testing method.

1. Haven't missed a single putt inside 6ft on the mat. As you mentioned, it's just a straight line without break, so not a hard achievement. I can't tell you exactly how often it comes up on the course, I will guess pretty often, since my GIR sucks and I chip a lot into the 6ft radius. According to ShotScope, I have 97% made percentage inside 6ft and average 1 stroke to finish when inside 6ft. This upcoming weekend will be my first round on the course after using the PuttOUT, will report back.

2. That drill requires 6ft putts, from one side of the mat to the other end. In my Stage 1 you'll find a photo of the rolled out mat. You place the ball in the circle and try to land it between the 2 dotted lines (1ft space)

3. You described it better than I did: right now I feel like I'm just adapting my set-up to fit the mirror. Maybe that's good, maybe I've been doing it wrong the whole time and now the mirror is correcting me. Maybe I'll get used to it. Definitely need more reps to find out.

4. Definitely. But since I've holed every putt inside 6ft so far and I'm pretty sure there was more than a few millimeters offline there, it makes me think that 99% accuracy is enough to make the putt. Just for reference, I did the drill twice and went 9 out of 10 and 6 out of 10 without touching the gate.

I'll definitely keep those in mind!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

3 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I agree with everything but speed.  The micro-target helps with perfect speed, which will lead to more putts lipping in instead of lipping out.  But you are correct; we are not going to get better on speed control on 20 footers.

Yes!!! I forgot about the micro-target. I had one session with more than 21 putts until I holed the micro-target from 3ft. This drill and the dotted line one definitely are for pace and speed.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

10 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Yes!!! I forgot about the micro-target. I had one session with more than 21 putts until I holed the micro-target from 3ft. This drill and the dotted line one definitely are for pace and speed.

I hit the micro-target from 3' in 6 tries the night before last and 10 tries last night.  It took me 36 tries tonight.  And poor Allie took 40 whacks at it without keeping it in the micro-target.  But that's the beauty of it.  If I asked her to hit and make 40 3-footers, she'd get bored after about 10 putts.  But she stood there and ground out 40 putts trying to hit that stupid little hole.  

Edited by HardcoreLooper
3 feet, not 3 inches.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

I’ll start this off by saying that I am a putter and putting approach junkie so my questions will probably support that thought.

Each of you got the mirror, gate, mat, and puttout. What is you goal or skill that you think each will be improving and do you think you need them all?
Think of the skills as line, speed, read, stroke. In my mind line would be the gate, stroke would be the mirror, nothing for read and nothing for speed. You have to convince me that the return aspect of the puttout is speed since you are limited on distance; meaning how does this setup help you with speed control on 20 footers.

As you go through the testing how do you compare the products to the various “DIY” approaches like a ruler, sleeve of balls, small mirror, etc. are these cost effective devices that warrant the cost.

I haven't used a mirror for years, and when I got mine I thought it was faulty. My eyes were so far past the ball they were almost off the mirror. I'm certain this was contributing to my left misses, especially on longer putts. The magnetic aspect of the mirror is more of a problem for me, it feels a bit like the putter sticks to the mirror. I will look into this more. I probably don't intend on using the mirror for extended session, more for quick check ups of my head position.

Speed control on long putts will be interesting to monitor. Although the mat and pressure trainer wont directly have an influence, I wouldn't be surprised if more precise speed control on 6 foot putts transfers in some degree to longer putts. 

Initial drills with the gate have been fun, and should have a real impact on line.

Although the Puttout system won't help with reading putts, I'm a believer in the old maxim of "every putt is a straight putt". Personally I'm probably a better than average reader of putts, perhaps due to having a bit of a creative side, and constantly adjusting to subtle angles in my work.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

My holing speed seems to be about 1 inch short of perfect. Nearly all my putts that don't stay in the micro hole roll back just past the 1 foot line. My ratio for perfect to in the hole is abysmal!

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

One thing to note about this (and any mat) - If you're short and your toes are on the mat when you putt, you are liable to wrinkle it.  The Allie-gator has to watch out for this (she's only 4' 7").  Luckily, this mat does a pretty good job of laying flat, so as long as she treads lightly, it stays flat.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Mirror update, it isn't magnetic, the removable guards are. The plastic frame feels a bit like it sticks to the putter head.

Another very important thing to remember when trying to use the micro hole, if you don't push the insert out, there is no hole for the ball to rest in 😳

Trying to hit the "perfect" putt really does tighten my focus. 

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

20 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I hit the micro-target from 3' in 6 tries the night before last and 10 tries last night.  It took me 36 tries tonight.  And poor Allie took 40 whacks at it without keeping it in the micro-target.  But that's the beauty of it.  If I asked her to hit and make 40 3-footers, she'd get bored after about 10 putts.  But she stood there and ground out 40 putts trying to hit that stupid little hole.  

Allie got it in 7 tries tonight.  And I got it in the first try.  Walk off...

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Have any of you been able to put something under the mats to simulate a break?  

Have you tried the training aids on an actual putting green to see how using the mat translates to the greens?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

43 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

Have you tried the training aids on an actual putting green to see how using the mat translates to the greens?

my floor is in a house from 1878 I get enough break naturally.

My stage 1 is going to be up in a few minutes and boy do ya'll have a boat load of questions already I like it.

3 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Haven't had the chance to take it out on the practice green, I rather play 18 😄

19 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Haven't had the chance to take it out on the practice green, I rather play 18 😄

Something that I really have enjoyed about my PuttOUT trainer is to use it during outings.  I'm sure we've all been there when the putting green is packed and there are 5 people hitting to the same hole.  I've made my own hole on the putting green by taking out the trainer and using it in an open area of the practice green.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

57 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

Something that I really have enjoyed about my PuttOUT trainer is to use it during outings.  I'm sure we've all been there when the putting green is packed and there are 5 people hitting to the same hole.  I've made my own hole on the putting green by taking out the trainer and using it in an open area of the practice green.

I have yet to do this, but it folds up so small that I'll definitely try it. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 7/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, Peaksy68 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if more precise speed control on 6 foot putts transfers in some degree to longer putts. 

Totally agree with that -- I try to think of my 6 ft putt speed as my baseline from which I try to calibrate the stroke on longer (or uphill), and shorter (or downhill), putts.

Also..

Interested to hear more testers' thoughts about the mirror, as you each get more experience working with it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2nd week with the mirror. It's getting better, more natural... but still don't like the contact with the ball when using the mirror.

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Interested to hear more testers' thoughts about the mirror, as you each get more experience working with it!

It's giving Allie fits, trying to hit it through the gate, but she's doing much better with keeping her eyes over the ball.  And same with me.  I feel like I'm SBST when I'm putting my best (never been on SAM or anything like that), so having my eyes over the ball really makes it seem easier to put a good stroke on the ball.

Fellow testers - Are you noticing a groove forming in the mat?  My oldest says she thinks she can see a groove in the mat.  I don't know if I see it or not.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Has the mirror caused anyone to change their setup and eye position?   If you did change,  what was the reason was it because you thought you were doing something you weren't (thought eyes were over the ball) or because people say your eyes should be over the ball?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

40 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Has the mirror caused anyone to change their setup and eye position?   If you did change,  what was the reason was it because you thought you were doing something you weren't (thought eyes were over the ball) or because people say your eyes should be over the ball?

Absolutely for me. I thought my eyes were over the ball, they were about 3 inches outside.

My practice routine now starts with about 10 putts using the mirror to check and regrain my setup 

I'm not sure if this setup issue is only since my injury hiatus, or if it's been a long term thing. I can see myself (did you like that😉) using the mirror long term for a quick checkup.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

It's giving Allie fits, trying to hit it through the gate, but she's doing much better with keeping her eyes over the ball.  And same with me.  I feel like I'm SBST when I'm putting my best (never been on SAM or anything like that), so having my eyes over the ball really makes it seem easier to put a good stroke on the ball.

Fellow testers - Are you noticing a groove forming in the mat?  My oldest says she thinks she can see a groove in the mat.  I don't know if I see it or not.

I was thinking about a groove forming the other day. Im not sure, but there could be a slight texture change happening. I might start putting from the other end of the mat for a while, then alternating.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes, I've definitely changed to get my eyes over the ball.  I suppose I should say that it's not a change as much as a correction back to what I know is correct for me.  I don't know that the position of my eyes really matters, but when I have my eyes over the ball, I keep my weight toward the balls of my feet and my hands higher.  I can do all of that with my eyes inside the line, but everything falls into place when my eyes are over the ball.  When my weight gets back on my heels, I tend to pull putts.  

After missing a couple of four-footers in a round last fall, I worked with one of the pros at TFT on this, and he confirmed that for me, I putt better with my weight forward and my eyes over the ball.  I won't say that this works for everyone.  I believe Ben Crenshaw has his eyes well inside the line.  Between Ben and me, we've won two Masters 🤣, so I think it's whatever works best for your stroke, but you would do well to have an expert pair of eyes observe how you putt.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Yes, I've definitely changed to get my eyes over the ball.  I suppose I should say that it's not a change as much as a correction back to what I know is correct for me.  I don't know that the position of my eyes really matters, but when I have my eyes over the ball, I keep my weight toward the balls of my feet and my hands higher.  I can do all of that with my eyes inside the line, but everything falls into place when my eyes are over the ball.  When my weight gets back on my heels, I tend to pull putts.  
After missing a couple of four-footers in a round last fall, I worked with one of the pros at TFT on this, and he confirmed that for me, I putt better with my weight forward and my eyes over the ball.  I won't say that this works for everyone.  I believe Ben Crenshaw has his eyes well inside the line.  Between Ben and me, we've won two Masters , so I think it's whatever works best for your stroke, but you would do well to have an expert pair of eyes observe how you putt.

Took my mirror to the practice green myself today and I was also too far away with my eyes about 4" inside, and very open to target with my feet and shoulders. Ball position had also crept beyond my left (forward to target as a righty) eye as well. Got everything back on track and got a good feel of the Spider X after today's 2 hour session.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

On 7/13/2019 at 9:46 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

OK, I'm not the only seeing things then.

I don't see the groove forming, but I did notice the ball going offline shortly before the hole. I thought maybe there was something under the mat creating the break, so I lift the mat and it's all flat. It's the same spot I've been using the past 2 weeks and the break wasn't there.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:42 AM, cnosil said:

I try to set-up naturally with the mirror cover. Then have my kids remove the cover and to see where my eyes are at. I'm pretty much over the ball, maybe 1 inch inside. But doesn't seem to affect my stroke nor the results.

I wanted to log my ShotScope results for yesterday's tournament and the battery died after 8 holes. Bummer!

On 7/13/2019 at 9:46 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

This is what I've heard from the reviews of the mat, and what made me hesitate on pulling the trigger. I hope it's not true!!

Anyone have any plush carpet they can test the mat on? I don't have a long enough hard surface in my house so if I were to buy one, I'd have to put it on the carpet and we got some pretty plush stuff with soft padding underneath.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I vaccuumed mine and it seemed to help make it appear like there was less groove. Putt Out seems to recommend rolling it back up and putting it in the tube. I always leave mine laid out on my cork floor in the basement. 

The other option is to move the hole left and right of the center line which will also add difficulty and help prove if you'lining up as well as you think with less lines to help. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0