Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Putt Out Golf Practice System

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I vaccuumed mine and it seemed to help make it appear like there was less groove. Putt Out seems to recommend rolling it back up and putting it in the tube. I always leave mine laid out on my cork floor in the basement. 

The other option is to move the hole left and right of the center line which will also add difficulty and help prove if you'lining up as well as you think with less lines to help. 

I roll mine up after every practice session (or the kids will end up playing on it) and the groove is still there.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On 7/15/2019 at 7:58 PM, yungkory said:

Anyone have any plush carpet they can test the mat on? I don't have a long enough hard surface in my house so if I were to buy one, I'd have to put it on the carpet and we got some pretty plush stuff with soft padding underneath.

I have it on a fairly firm oriental rug.  Doesn't seem to be an issue, but nothing like plush carpet.

7 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Putt Out seems to recommend rolling it back up and putting it in the tube. I always leave mine laid out on my cork floor in the basement. 

I did not know that.  I will start rolling mine up every night.  My wife will probably appreciate that.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

6 hours ago, Kanoito said:

I roll mine up after every practice session (or the kids will end up playing on it) and the groove is still there.

That's no bueno.  I'll still try it and report back.

The mat definitely wrinkles when Allie steps on it.  If I pull the right edge taut, it's fine.  Tomorrow night, I'll try with a book.  So far, I'm loving the target and the mirror, but I can't see spending $90 on a mat that develops a groove in two weeks.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Well I was wondering why I was having issues with following the routine on the package and it's because of my path. Wow I knew it was off but my goodness I started to use the mirror and the gates and couldn't do crap. This review may end up in my revamping my whole putting stroke.

22 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Well I was wondering why I was having issues with following the routine on the package and it's because of my path. Wow I knew it was off but my goodness I started to use the mirror and the gates and couldn't do crap. This review may end up in my revamping my whole putting stroke.

The good part is I think I found an old putting stroke I used a year or two ago that got me rolling it better than I have in a while. That meant I actually hit the micro target and didn't hit any gates. After 30 minutes of using that stroke I was able to stop thinking about it so much. Gonna take this to work on my 48 and hope that the stroke is consistent after 12 hours of not practicing it.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:30 PM, Kanoito said:

Do they suggest brushing it, ie. against the grain of the fibers to raise them back up?

Just fyi, with a Birdie Ball you can brush it "down" (= faster) or "up" (= slower).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 7/9/2019 at 4:58 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I'm really curious about the speed of the mat and how it translates to grass. Every single putting mat I've ever had was lightning fast then I'm leaving everything short on the course. 

+1.  We had one in our "think tank/war room" at work and it was a astro-turf like product that rolled pretty true but like a billiard table.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

12 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Do they suggest brushing it, ie. against the grain of the fibers to raise them back up?

Just fyi, with a Birdie Ball you can brush it "down" (= faster) or "up" (= slower).

We have a fairly large BirdieBall mat at one of our two First Tee locations, and it's very nice. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I bought a BirdieBall 2 years ago and it was so fast compared to the greens I play here, it was useless. That's why I was interested in having a PuttOut mat on my carpet, because I read that might cause it to roll slower. However, the reviews saying it forms a groove turned me off to it. Hopefully at the end of your reviews, I'll have a good idea of whether or not I should grab one!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Has anyone tried contacting them yet about the grooves? I sent an email but no response so far.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

On 7/10/2019 at 8:58 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I'm really curious about the speed of the mat and how it translates to grass. Every single putting mat I've ever had was lightning fast then I'm leaving everything short on the course. 

Also curious about the friction. Past mats were carpet-like so my putter smoothly slid back and forward on them even if pressed down. As we all know, grass is not slick like that so I'd run into issues where I've engrained a stroke that wants me to drag the putter along the ground only to be met by the harsh reality of a "chunked putt".  

Comments on either of these areas would be appreciated. 

I've got a piece of moulding to rig up a rough stimpmeter, remembering high school trigonometry and movement restrictions due to yet another medical procedure may push me back to next weekend, but I'm hoping to get something sorted in the next couple of days.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Something I've done recently in the "take it to the course" category: in settling in for a putt, I imagine the PuttOUT over the hole. In particular, I try to figure out the way the PuttOUT would need to be oriented to allow the correct break to bring the putt on the line to the micro target.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Something I've done recently in the "take it to the course" category: in settling in for a putt, I imagine the PuttOUT over the hole. In particular, I try to figure out the way the PuttOUT would need to be oriented to allow the correct break to bring the putt on the line to the micro target.

Nice! Everybody has their own visualization "key" to help them find either a line to the hole or a spot to putt to -- this sounds like a great method!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Today I was practicing and when I wasn't making as many putts as I thought I should have I took a break. After the break I bellied some wedges and immediately made 5 in a row. Still not sure why I can belly a wedge better than I can putt. Made progress on my stroke though and made more today than I have since I've had the whole get up.

Appreciate the feedback, Cam! Thanks for joining us!

So basically we just have to wipe down the center line once in a while to fix it? I did try it at first and it only fixed it for about 30 mins, then it went back to the groove. Or is there a better way to "rough it up"?

Hi Cam - Thanks for joining the conversation.  I'll be sure to try it when I get home from vacation tomorrow.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Can has been great to work with.  We started this conversation about the testing back in the spring.   I'm glad we were finally able to get it going, he was very patient working with the busy testing schedule we had this year. 

And Putt Outs willingness to provide the complete system for testing was very generous. 

I'm looking forward to reading everyones thoughts.  This system is high on my list to take what is the strength of my game to an even higher level. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

14 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Appreciate the feedback, Cam! Thanks for joining us!

So basically we just have to wipe down the center line once in a while to fix it? I did try it at first and it only fixed it for about 30 mins, then it went back to the groove. Or is there a better way to "rough it up"?

All. In.

Yup @Kanoito, it should be as simple as that. In fact, we've kept one specific model in our London office to see how it wears and develops with (A LOT) of use:

I've attached a picture of a 1.5 year old (left) and brand new (right) mat below to demonstrate the difference in appearance over time. As you can see, although the surface hasn't changed a whole lot, the new mat is a more sparkly with the fibres standing on end in the sunlight, whereas the 1.5 year-old mat is more of an unvaried colour throughout. This is because the fibres have been flattened out across the whole mat over hundreds of hours of putting/grind/obscure product development brainstorms.

Of course, if you do want to keep the mat staying at its most sparkliest for longer, the easiest thing to do along with brushing it is to vary the lines you putt on. So instead of just putting down the single central line, try mixing it up and putting with the two other parallel side lines, from the opposite end, or even across the mat diagonally and see how you fare.

Fingers crossed this is a help but if you have any more questions, fire them over and we'll be right here to answer them posthaste!

Cam

Mat Comparison.jpg

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Can has been great to work with.  We started this conversation about the testing back in the spring.   I'm glad we were finally able to get it going, he was very patient working with the busy testing schedule we had this year. 

And Putt Outs willingness to provide the complete system for testing was very generous. 

I'm looking forward to reading everyones thoughts.  This system is high on my list to take what is the strength of my game to an even higher level. 

*dabs with delight*

Well that's very kind of you @Golfspy_CG2. Let's hope the products help you as well as everyone else take the part of the game which there really shouldn't be any excuses for lacking to the next level. Here. We. Go.

We moved the gate and mirror to the side for the six footers and the gate drill tonight, and we were actually able to get a decent number of putts through the gate again.  Some light scuffing with the foot down the centerline didn't seem to help much.  I'll get the broom out to see if that helps.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The ball still wobbles after brushing the mat up and down. I'll try the other 2 parallel lines and see if it's better. 

I gotta say, I didn't like the mirror at the beginning, now I'm loving it.

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

The video made me realize I'm standing too close too it looks like standing away from the ball a little more might help too.

Where are your eyes in the mirror in relation to the ball? I've found that for me, I do best when my eyes are just inside the ball, no more than an inch. Helps my stroke, and helps me see lines. Working with a normal mirror as well, I found that my putter was pretty toe up because my hands were too low, something I read about when researching P2 grips: https://p2grips.com/the-science/

The eye line feedback from the mirror is probably my favorite thing about it, and the gate you put in front of the mirror to check if you're putting the ball on your line.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

3 hours ago, yungkory said:

Where are your eyes in the mirror in relation to the ball? I've found that for me, I do best when my eyes are just inside the ball, no more than an inch. Helps my stroke, and helps me see lines. Working with a normal mirror as well, I found that my putter was pretty toe up because my hands were too low, something I read about when researching P2 grips: https://p2grips.com/the-science/

The eye line feedback from the mirror is probably my favorite thing about it, and the gate you put in front of the mirror to check if you're putting the ball on your line.

My eye line in this was half way on the mirror. When I stood back barely on the mirror but I started to make more putts.

19 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Still have some path issues but it's now every once in a while instead of constant 20190725_093921_1.gif

Great stuff, @tommc23. It's falling into what we've always wanted for those trying our products from the beginning: to get more people practicing and really giving themselves the chance to improve... and that's exactly what it sounds like you're doing! 

As a side note, with the amount of trade shows, events and in seeing people first-hand, it really does become evident that it's not a lack of skill in improving putting, it's the lack of willingness to try. Now being an MGS contributor, it probably won't be those on here who have a golf-defeatist mindset but if someone approaches us to see what's happening, we'll often ask them if they're a good putter with the answer almost certainly being one of two responses:

1) "I'm a great putter, I don't need to practice"

2) "I'm a terrible putter, it won't help"

Our big goal is to try and design products that actually make people want to practice. Over time, this will lead (please, please, please) to inevitably noticing tendencies which you can either decide to adjust (with or without a teacher's guidance), or roll with them and know how to use them to your advantage (see Tiger toe strikes: https://bit.ly/2JV2xK4). In any case, you know your stroke better so hearing that you're making what you feel are helpful adjustments that aren't simply a fleeting idea from a friend* but are built on real testing... THAT is the music to our ears. 

Bravo, T23. Keep on the grind. 💪

*Hey, we'll all do it.

Did a rough speed comparison with my clubs practice green using a very rough homemade stimpmeter.

IMG_0564.JPG

The mat is definitely slower than my clubs green, which was about 11. I rolled balls from reduced distance to roll the longest I could on the mat. From the same mark (about 2” short of 30” standard the practice green was about 1.5’ faster.

Using the ramp on the practice green was really good, something I can definitely see myself doing moving forward

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Allie and I spent a few minutes scuffing up the centerline with our feet, and the mat is much better.  Not perfect, but better.  Interestingly, the groove seems to be more noticeable when you hit putts firmer.  That seems to be a bit counterintuitive.

I do want to let everyone know that the phone I use with Arccos (not my daily driver, that one has a crappy GPS chip) has decided to drop dead on me, so I don't have quantitative data for my review.  I will say that qualitatively, I am annoying the living sh!t out of my buddies with my putting.  If I'm playing a course with reasonably smooth greens, I feel like I can't miss from inside 10 feet.  And I was pretty happy with my putting before this.  Allie feels like she is putting better as well.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:09 AM, PuttOUT said:

what we've always wanted for those trying our products from the beginning: to get more people practicing and really giving themselves the chance to improve

I think that's the key.  Maybe these products aren't that much better than others on the market, but if they get you to practice, then they are good and you'll get better.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino