TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Putt Out Golf Practice System

I only three putt three holes maybe four today. It happened when the green speed changed from slow to fast. It was hard to adjust after 11 holes. My worst putting hole I was way across the green from the hole and it was a multiple breaker with two elevation changes. The new stroke was not perfect but it was good and it needs more time to become consistent. 

Arccos is still down, so I still don't have anything valuable in the way of data.  I don't like counting putts, because that's too dependent on how you hit the ball and how you chip.  

I'm still convinced that I'm putting better, and I'm also convinced that Allie is putting better as well.  One thing I've noticed is that I'm hitting the center of the putter face more frequently.  And while this has made me a little better at short putts (6' and less), my lag putting is getting noticeably better.  It's so much easier to control your speed when you hit more putts solidly.  And all this is from practicing putts that are six feet or less.  I haven't felt this good over a putt since I was in high school.  Coincidentally, I had a putting mat in my basement in high school, and I practiced putting almost every day.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the key to the success of PuttOut is the micro-target.  The micro-target makes it addicting.  Honestly, hitting three-footers over and over again isn't all that exciting.  But I'll hit 50 three-footers trying to hit that damn micro-target.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Hitting the micro target from 4' is one of my main tests for comparing putters to see how I line them up at address and get the ball started. Currently gaming an EXO 7s which is the record holder with 5/10 made in the micro target from 4'. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 8/1/2019 at 9:44 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Allie and I spent a few minutes scuffing up the centerline with our feet, and the mat is much better.  Not perfect, but better.

Just to get this into the thread, we scuffed the mat perpendicular to the centerline, back and forth, for a good 10 minutes or so.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm going into my 6th week of testing (same 2-3 sessions + 2 rounds of 18 holes per week) and my ShotScope just died after week 3. Battery is so weak that I can't finish a round of 18 like I used to. So I'm now back to taking putting stats with an app or pencil. Obviously it's not as complete, since no distances are provided, so just the basic putts per hole, 3-putts per round and # of putts per round are recorded.

My observations so far:

-The dreaded groove in the center of the mat. Like other reviewers this showed up around week 3 of my testing. If I look carefully, I can see the ball wobble between the edges of the groove. It's even more obvious if you draw a line on the ball. I asked my kids to stomp on it, brush it with their feet in all directions and that temporarily fixed it. But 4 sessions later it came back. So I decided to move my practice sessions to the putting green on my home course. This obviously changes the results a lot, since all putts have a break.

-I really didn't like the mirror at the beginning because of high the putter was hovering over the mat. Now I'm loving it! Not only do I feel less skidding, but my stance over the mirror (eyes on the line) feels so natural. It was a tiny correction (originally my eyes were about an inch inside the line), but it didn't feel forced.

-The gate has also been extremely helpful. It provides instant feedback to my stroke and allows me to correct it right away.

-While the PuttOut let's you decide whether you want to use the micro-target or not... I really don't see why anybody would choose not to use it. Even with it popped open, the ball still returns to you simulating a made putt and I tried the drill "make 25 in a row from 5ft" and never missed a single putt. So I tried to make the drill harder by going 6ft, same results... so I realized only drills with the micro-target involved pose a real challenge.

1st half summary

Mirror gets an A
Gates also an A
Mat just a C

And how does that affect my putting stats? I practice with 5 drills total... 3 of them are optional and 2 of them are mandatory for all testers (to have the same baseline for comparison):

• Take two putts each from 1–6’ on the mat. Give yourself 1 point for each “make” that rolls up and down the PuttOUT; give yourself 3 points for each perfect putt. Keep track of your results each time you try the drill.

• Set up a full length putt with the mirror and guide bars in place. Set the gate two feet in front of your ball position. Attempt ten putts; track how many go through the gate perfectly without touching it.

After 3 weeks of testing, you would expect a noticeable improvement, right?

For the first drill, you can get a maximum of 36 points if you can hole the micro-target 12 times. My average was 17 points... but surprisingly, the results didn't improve when comparing week 1 and week 3. Scores were pretty consistent and no outliers observed.

For the second drill, I did observe some improvement. First sessions I was only able to putt 6 out of 10 through the gates, in the end I was getting to 8 out of 10.

I'm now collecting data for the 2nd half (weeks 4 to 6) and will consolidate them into Stage 2... unless you guys have questions and would like to discuss them beforehand 🙂

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On 8/10/2019 at 2:02 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

Just to get this into the thread, we scuffed the mat perpendicular to the centerline, back and forth, for a good 10 minutes or so.

Did you use your hands or some kind of brush?

The groove forming might be a deal-breaker for some people. What I really liked about the PuttOut was being able to practice at night when the kids are asleep... just go downstairs and putt away. But if I have to drive 30mins to the golf course to use their putting green, then I'm pretty sure I'll be lazy and limit putting practice to the weekends after my rounds... if at all...

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

4 hours ago, Kanoito said:

I realized only drills with the micro-target involved pose a real challenge.

Exactly.  Using the micro-target increases the challenge so much that you really feel a payoff when you hit that target.  Making 30 straight 3 footers is a great drill, but there's not that great a feeling of success when you complete it.  So unless you're really driven, you're going to make every excuse not to do that drill.  Hitting the micro-target feels so good that you don't notice you've just hit (and made) 30 or more 3 footers.  Even if you hit the MT in a couple of putts once in a while, you'll have plenty of nights where it takes 50 tries to make it.

The gate drill is pretty challenging for me as well, but I get frustrated because any flaw in the mat throws the putt off and you hit the gate.  And you have to fetch the ball, whether you make or miss.  I can hit 10 putts through it, but I'd lose my mind trying to hit 50.

4 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Did you use your hands or some kind of brush?

The groove forming might be a deal-breaker for some people. What I really liked about the PuttOut was being able to practice at night when the kids are asleep... just go downstairs and putt away. But if I have to drive 30mins to the golf course to use their putting green, then I'm pretty sure I'll be lazy and limit putting practice to the weekends after my rounds... if at all...

We used our feet.  And we really put some effort into it.  The two of us spent a good 15 minutes or so on it.  

Allie lowered her personal best for 9 holes this past weekend, with only 1 3-putt.  Definitely the best I've ever seen her putt.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I videoed myself putting for the micro target. 7 minutes of viewing pleasure. I couldn’t get it to upload, hopefully I can split it and get it loaded.

Absolutely agree that the micro target is the way to go. Being disappointed after missing the micro target by a millimetre whilst making 80-100 consecutive putts is an interesting feeling. The narrowed focus that comes with using the micro target is great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I agree with @Peaksy68 and @HardcoreLooper about the micro target: I simply can't recall a time I've ever closed the target.

For the gate: I like it, and I want to like it more. I use a laser level to make sure my mirror, gate, and PuttOUT are all perfectly lined up. But my problem with the gate on my indoor green is that every time I hit it (which is often), it gets bumped slightly offline. If I leave my laser on, it's easy to reposition. But if I want to putt with the laser off, getting it exactly back in place is a bit annoying.

On an actual green, where it is pushed into the green, that isn't a problem. I wonder if getting a bit more weight in the plastic bases for the gate might help keep it from moving indoors.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

One of the advertised benefits of the Putt-Out hole is that the specific curvature is supposed to roll the ball back to you an equal distance to how far it would have rolled past the hole on a missed putt. 

Sometimes I close the micro target so that the ball will roll smoothly up and down the mat to work on speed control. I will hit putts with the intention of die-ing them in the hole so they roll onto the white base but not up the ramp. Then a standard speed put with the intention of having the ball roll back 1 -  2 feet off the ramp. Then even harder getting it to roll back 3-4 feet off the ramp to simulate a 10+ foot putt on the mat. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

I haven't been using Arccos for the past few months because the GPS on my current phone is atrocious, and my old phone decided to up and die on me.  But going without stats for most of the season has been driving me nuts.  So I decided to record all my shots/clubs/yardages manually so I could correct everything in the web dashboard.  That's the level of dedication we bring to these reviews 🤣

So it took a while, but after getting all of the data in, I had a +3.3 handicap for putting today.  For context, my last four rounds in Arccos (all before the PuttOut training started) were +0.8, +4.6, 4.0 and +2.4.  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Managed to upload my Pressure putting video. It's long, and very repetitive, but does give an idea of how difficult it is to get the ball to rest in the micro target.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

Managed to upload my Pressure putting video. It's long, and very repetitive, but does give an idea of how difficult it is to get the ball to rest in the micro target.

[/url]  
Great video! I thought you had gone back to back on hitting the micro target there for a second. Looks like you've got great speed control.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Have you guys done the drill where you try to land the ball between in the zone between lines? That's for distance control and I must say... mine is atrocious!

On 8/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I agree with @Peaksy68 and @HardcoreLooper about the micro target: I simply can't recall a time I've ever closed the target.

For the gate: I like it, and I want to like it more. I use a laser level to make sure my mirror, gate, and PuttOUT are all perfectly lined up. But my problem with the gate on my indoor green is that every time I hit it (which is often), it gets bumped slightly offline. If I leave my laser on, it's easy to reposition. But if I want to putt with the laser off, getting it exactly back in place is a bit annoying.

On an actual green, where it is pushed into the green, that isn't a problem. I wonder if getting a bit more weight in the plastic bases for the gate might help keep it from moving indoors.

I'll hope my superintendent doesn't read this part of the review 😂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

20 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Nicely done.  I thought you had 3 in a row there for a moment 👍

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Nicely done.  I thought you had 3 in a row there for a moment

It’s a bit strange, but I “hole” more from 3 feet than 1, maybe a focus thing, or a stroke rhythm difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

7 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Have you guys done the drill where you try to land the ball between in the zone between lines? That's for distance control and I must say... mine is atrocious!

I hate that drill on such short putts.  I feel like I decelerate when I do it.  Just a mental problem for me.

1 hour ago, Peaksy68 said:

It’s a bit strange, but I “hole” more from 3 feet than 1, maybe a focus thing, or a stroke rhythm difference.

I agree.  I can't hit it easy enough to make it into the micro-target from 1 foot without taking several tries at it.

+4.9 putting handicap today, and I left a 15 footer short and in the jaws.  Now I need to play someplace where I don't know the greens nearly so well.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 8/17/2019 at 11:02 PM, Peaksy68 said:

Thanks for the video.  I think it does really show how much focused practice the system provides. That is excellent.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

23 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Not a big fan, speed control on 4-5 foot putts is of least importance (other than 2-3 feet) and these mats are quicker than most greens I play on. The biggest benefit is it shows you that your backswing should be very short if you are not going to decellerate on the forward swing. 

It requires more focus than hitting the ball into the full sized cup in my opinion because the margin of error is small. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

Allie and I played in 2-person scramble today, and it was my first really meh putting day since starting the PuttOut testing.  I didn't make anything over a foot today, missing a couple inside six feet.  Of course, Allie only gave me two chances inside 10 feet, because she made everything else we had, so I didn't get to putt much.  I've never seen her make so many putts inside 10 feet.  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I've been starting my practice sessions with the mirror and gate set at 3 feet. My head position is much better than when I started using the mirror, and is now pretty much automatic. The last few times I've put the first 3 cleanly through the gate and then moved onto other drills.

My putting on the weekend was reasonably good, missed one 4 foot putt, made a few from 4-8 feet. I had 2 x 3 putts, one was after a very poor 1st putt from 40 foot, the other after leaving myself 70 foot away with multiple slopes to negotiate. Both times I shaved the hole with my second putt.

Several near misses that went exactly where I aimed at perfect speed but misread the break, or more accurately the lack of break.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

I've tried to turn this into a drinking game so I can get my golfing buddies to mess around with it. I have been trying to think take a drink every time you miss the micro target but make it on the ramp itself, this would probably lead to way too much drinking. Drink every time you make the micro target would probably be too little drinking. Trying to think of games to play with it makes practicing easier and more interesting. I hate practicing so this is a way to get myself to use it. The next worst thing is my floor sloping so bad makes using the mat difficult since it rolls nice then just turns out of no where.

12 hours ago, tommc23 said:

floor sloping so bad

Maybe get a piece of thick plywood long enough for the mat .. and optionally wide enough for you to also stand on .. and try to shim where needed to get it all level..?

I like the drinking game idea! Maybe make up teams and the first team to N number of hole-outs makes the other team chug/do a shot 🤣

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

47 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Maybe get a piece of thick plywood long enough for the mat .. and optionally wide enough for you to also stand on .. and try to shim where needed to get it all level..?

I like the drinking game idea! Maybe make up teams and the first team to N number of hole-outs makes the other team chug/do a shot 🤣

I'm hoping my new house has a more level area for me to use this. If not I like the idea of the plywood I didn't think of that.

I finally was able to figure out creating a gif using my gopro. My goodness is this a pain but I like it. You can see I didn't have it lined up right as it hit the ramp and right off the side. Also you can see how it just kind of dives right near the end.

FHD0007_Trim_1.gif

The groove is back, and that's not a good thing.

I can deal with it for the points drill and perfect putt, but the mirror/gate drill is nearly impossible right now.  We gave up on it tonight.

I played a different course on Sunday to see how I'd putt on greens I hadn't seen in a while.  Unfortunately, they were so badly torn up, they were just unputtable.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm hoping my new house has a more level area for me to use this. If not I like the idea of the plywood I didn't think of that.

I finally was able to figure out creating a gif using my gopro. My goodness is this a pain but I like it. You can see I didn't have it lined up right as it hit the ramp and right off the side. Also you can see how it just kind of dives right near the end.
FHD0007_Trim_1.gif.c41e1b89ed5ccb38a0472459fbbe09f8.gif

Hard to tell from the gif, but it looks like maybe you turn your whole body to follow the ball resulting in pulls.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hard to tell from the gif, but it looks like maybe you turn your whole body to follow the ball resulting in pulls.

I'll video myself to see never noticed. This is a camera on my head my head never moved to follow the ball it has such a wide angle of view that I was shocked it followed the ball.

I'll video myself to see never noticed. This is a camera on my head my head never moved to follow the ball it has such a wide angle of view that I was shocked it followed the ball.

Even with the wide angle of view I wouldn’t expect to see the turn to the left through the follow through. That is why I thought you turned you head

This is what I need to avoid on my short putts to avoid the left miss. Reaction is to watch the ball go into the hole. Easier for me on longer putts since I don’t see the hole in my peripheral vision.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG