Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Putt Out Golf Practice System

7 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I'm really curious about the speed of the mat and how it translates to grass. Every single putting mat I've ever had was lightning fast then I'm leaving everything short on the course. 

Also curious about the friction. Past mats were carpet-like so my putter smoothly slid back and forward on them even if pressed down. As we all know, grass is not slick like that so I'd run into issues where I've engrained a stroke that wants me to drag the putter along the ground only to be met by the harsh reality of a "chunked putt".  

Comments on either of these areas would be appreciated. 

Your observation is spot on. According to the website, the thing is rolling at a 10 on the stimp.

I've done 2 sessions (which adds up to more than 150 putts) and haven't left a single putt short. On the contrary, all the putts I make come back about 1ft, which according to their design, is the same distance you would end up at if you had missed.

On the course, 90% of my misses are short, but this was already an issue for me before I got to try the PuttOUT. Don't be fooled by my ShotScope stats, those were just a few rounds where I intentionally forced myself to go past the hole.

My guess: not only is the mat faster than regular greens, but since the PuttOUT returns your ball, you are not afraid to send it past the hole, a psychological effect so to speak.

So we'll see if the weekly sessions on the mat worsens my problem on the course 😄

Regarding the friction, it's really smooth. I didn't notice any difference, because I hover my putter slightly above the ground with very light grip pressure. Maybe this is also contributing to my short putts?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

My question to all the testers is do you guys ever see a time when you don't putt with the micro-target out?

Since either way, the ball rolls back to you, I always have the micro-target out. Pure laziness 😄

• Like 2

My stage 1 is up.

I'm hoping to build a homemade stimpmeter to compare the mat to my club's practice green. My first impressions of the speed and roll of the mat are that is a little bit slower than my club's greens, but is very true, with no weird roll that I would sometimes get on my old crappy mat. 

The last line of my stage 1 is a hint to what I think was the cause of my left misses on my baseline data

• Like 4

@Peaksy68 I hope you change out of those jeans into your Loudmouth pants for any future photo's mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, MattF said:

@Peaksy68 I hope you change out of those jeans into your Loudmouth pants for any future photo's mate.

Loudmouths are being held back for my return to real on course competition golf. I'm not likely to be too competitive, but I'll look good😀

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Kanoito said:

because I hover my putter slightly above the ground with very light grip pressure. Maybe this is also contributing to my short putts?

I'd suggest possibly yes. I'd also held the putter really lightly .. almost to the point of the putter head twisting on impact .. and recently went to a bit more snug - but still not tight - grip. Maybe experiment with it during your testing?

I’ll start this off by saying that I am a putter and putting approach junkie so my questions will probably support that thought.

Each of you got the mirror, gate, mat, and puttout. What is you goal or skill that you think each will be improving and do you think you need them all?
Think of the skills as line, speed, read, stroke. In my mind line would be the gate, stroke would be the mirror, nothing for read and nothing for speed. You have to convince me that the return aspect of the puttout is speed since you are limited on distance; meaning how does this setup help you with speed control on 20 footers.

As you go through the testing how do you compare the products to the various “DIY” approaches like a ruler, sleeve of balls, small mirror, etc. are these cost effective devices that warrant the cost.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

I'd suggest possibly yes. I'd also held the putter really lightly .. almost to the point of the putter head twisting on impact .. and recently went to a bit more snug - but still not tight - grip. Maybe experiment with it during your testing?

Will certainly do. Gotta log a few more rounds after my PuttOUT session to see how it changed. Unfortunately, ShotScope only let's you view the performance for last round, last 5 rounds, last 15 rounds or all. So I can't tell the difference week to week. But I am loggig them on my spreadsheet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

I’ll start this off by saying that I am a putter and putting approach junkie so my questions will probably support that thought.

Each of you got the mirror, gate, mat, and puttout. What is you goal or skill that you think each will be improving and do you think you need them all?
Think of the skills as line, speed, read, stroke. In my mind line would be the gate, stroke would be the mirror, nothing for read and nothing for speed. You have to convince me that the return aspect of the puttout is speed since you are limited on distance; meaning how does this setup help you with speed control on 20 footers.

As you go through the testing how do you compare the products to the various “DIY” approaches like a ruler, sleeve of balls, small mirror, etc. are these cost effective devices that warrant the cost.

Sorry, your question is too complicated 😄

I've used it for 2 complete sessions and these are my findings:

1. True, PuttOut doesn't help with reading, since it's basically just straight putts. So far, I haven't missed a single putt inside 6ft. It just helps me get a repetitive stroke.

2. There is another drill that is just hitting putts and trying to stop the ball between 2 lines. In my first try, I landed 4 balls before missing the zone and on my second try I missed after 2 balls. IMO, that is really bad compared to not missing a single putt out of 150 putts. And in both tries, my misses were long (see @GolfSpy STUDque previous question). This is probably where I'll struggle the most with, but hopefully show the improvements on the course (the 20footers).

3. I've tried the mirror and honestly didn't like it. The fact that the putter is sitting slightly higher than the ball irritates me and doesn't allow for clean contact. And I can't tell if when I stand over the mirror my eyes are lined up correctly, because that's my natural posture or I'm setting up with the goal to have my eyes over the ball. Still doesn't feel natural to me, need more reps. And somehow the alignment magnets bother me too.

4. I can do without the gate. The few milimeters I'm offline probably won't affect the outcome and ball will go in.

5. Can't comment on the DIY approaches because I'm too lazy for that. Like many other things in life, time is money and both are perfectly valid approaches.

• Like 4

Sorry, your question is too complicated
I've used it for 2 complete sessions and these are my findings:
1. True, PuttOut doesn't help with reading, since it's basically just straight putts. So far, I haven't missed a single putt inside 6ft. It just helps me get a repetitive stroke.
2. There is another drill that is just hitting putts and trying to stop the ball between 2 lines. In my first try, I landed 4 balls before missing the zone and on my second try I missed after 2 balls. IMO, that is really bad compared to not missing a single putt out of 150 putts. And in both tries, my misses were long (see [mention=73629]GolfSpy STUDque[/mention] previous question). This is probably where I'll struggle the most with, but hopefully show the improvements on the course (the 20footers).
3. I've tried the mirror and honestly didn't like it. The fact that the putter is sitting slightly higher than the ball irritates me and doesn't allow for clean contact. And I can't tell if when I stand over the mirror my eyes are lined up correctly, because that's my natural posture or I'm setting up with the goal to have my eyes over the ball. Still doesn't feel natural to me, need more reps. And somehow the alignment magnets bother me too.
4. I can do without the gate. The few milimeters I'm offline probably won't affect the outcome and ball will go in.
5. Can't comment on the DIY approaches because I'm too lazy for that. Like many other things in life, time is money and both are perfectly valid approaches.

More questions

1. You haven’t missed a single putt inside 6’. Is that on course or puttout? If it is puttout, how often will you see that 6’ on the course and how does that translate to other putts?

2. How long is the putt for that drill?

3. A great point about mirrors. I setup off the ball so if a mirror is trying to get me to setup over the ball it will change my stroke. Basically do you change to fit a product or do you adapt to what you naturally need to do?

4. A few millimeters can make a big difference. The gate would be my primary aid to use since it addresses face control which could be considered one if the most important parts of putting. 1* off on face angle and you miss a straight 10 foot putt. The gate provides margin of error to ensure you are starting the ball on intended line. It can be use for any stroke length to see how consistent you are. Meaning I don’t need a target at 20 feet to see how accurate I am.

Thanks for your thoughts. Please keep the questions in mind as you go through you testing to see if you are improving your putting skills

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Mirror - Get my eyes over the ball.  I have a tendency to lean back when I putt, with my eyes too far inside, my weight on my heels, my hands too low and the toe in the air.  This forces me to lean farther forward.  Allie has the same problem and misses short putts because of it.

Gate - Small target/small miss.  I like the feedback.

Mat - Rolls great.  Yes, it's only six feet long, but if I can extend my "always make" zone from 3 feet to 4 feet, I'll one putt more and three putt less.

PuttOUT - Gotta have a target.  Feeling like you made a putt gives you a sense of accomplishment.  And returning the ball back to you makes it easy to use.

23 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I agree with everything but speed.  The micro-target helps with perfect speed, which will lead to more putts lipping in instead of lipping out.  But you are correct; we are not going to get better on speed control on 20 footers.

In my mind, there are two reasons you practice:

1. Increase your one-putt distance.  Move your automatic make zone farther from the hole.  If you're automatic from two feet, increasing it to three feet lowers scores.
  2. Increase your three-putt distance.  If you start three putting at 20 feet, moving that to 25 feet lowers scores.

These tools definitely impact #1.  That's pretty obvious.  But they also help with #2.  If I increase my one-putt zone from two feet to three feet, I'm going to three-putt less.  Now, I also need to work on my lag putting, and this does not help with that.

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Getting this stuff for free kind of blows up the whole perception of value, so that's tough to determine.  The PuttOUT mat is $90.  If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I might buy a BirdieBall mat instead.  But after rolling this up, throwing it in the car, driving for four hours and unrolling it in a hotel room, I think I like the PuttOUT mat better.  And the alignment lines really help you line up.  This mat is far, far better than a $30 mat from Dicks.

The mirror/gate is $70.  The lines and the notch are great, but I could just putt off of a mirror for much less.  The putt wouldn't roll correctly, but I could ensure that I get my eyes over the ball.  Unlike @Kanoito, I feel like I hit solid putts from the mirror, so I do like this mirror.

The trainer is wonderful.  I can only speak for myself, but forcing myself over and over to hit three foot putts to hit the micro-target gets me to practice those putts that I wouldn't bother with.  I can't get excited about making 50 three footers, but I can stand there and hit at the micro-target for a long time.

Could you get just about all of these benefits for less money?  Sure, if you're willing to invest some of your time to find them and put them together.  But for someone who is going to spend money on gadgets, these look like they're going to be a good value for the spend.

• Like 6

The mirror/gate is $70.  The lines and the notch are great, but I could just putt off of a mirror for much less.  The putt wouldn't roll correctly, but I could ensure that I get my eyes over the ball.  

Great feedback, thanks

I wasn’t advocating putting off the mirror but using it as a check for setup, which is really the intent of a mirror.

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Great feedback, thanks

I wasn’t advocating putting off the mirror but using it as a check for setup, which is really the intent of a mirror.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me.  I can check my setup all I want, but hitting a bunch of putts with my eyes in the proper position, then seeing them hit my line is the feedback I need.  This mirror gives me that, whereas a regular mirror does not.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

More questionsemoji16.png

1. You haven’t missed a single putt inside 6’. Is that on course or puttout? If it is puttout, how often will you see that 6’ on the course and how does that translate to other putts?

2. How long is the putt for that drill?

3. A great point about mirrors. I setup off the ball so if a mirror is trying to get me to setup over the ball it will change my stroke. Basically do you change to fit a product or do you adapt to what you naturally need to do?

4. A few millimeters can make a big difference. The gate would be my primary aid to use since it addresses face control which could be considered one if the most important parts of putting. 1* off on face angle and you miss a straight 10 foot putt. The gate provides margin of error to ensure you are starting the ball on intended line. It can be use for any stroke length to see how consistent you are. Meaning I don’t need a target at 20 feet to see how accurate I am.

Thanks for your thoughts. Please keep the questions in mind as you go through you testing to see if you are improving your putting skills

I like  how you ask questions that I personally haven't even considered. This opens up other focus points to my testing method.

1. Haven't missed a single putt inside 6ft on the mat. As you mentioned, it's just a straight line without break, so not a hard achievement. I can't tell you exactly how often it comes up on the course, I will guess pretty often, since my GIR sucks and I chip a lot into the 6ft radius. According to ShotScope, I have 97% made percentage inside 6ft and average 1 stroke to finish when inside 6ft. This upcoming weekend will be my first round on the course after using the PuttOUT, will report back.

2. That drill requires 6ft putts, from one side of the mat to the other end. In my Stage 1 you'll find a photo of the rolled out mat. You place the ball in the circle and try to land it between the 2 dotted lines (1ft space)

3. You described it better than I did: right now I feel like I'm just adapting my set-up to fit the mirror. Maybe that's good, maybe I've been doing it wrong the whole time and now the mirror is correcting me. Maybe I'll get used to it. Definitely need more reps to find out.

4. Definitely. But since I've holed every putt inside 6ft so far and I'm pretty sure there was more than a few millimeters offline there, it makes me think that 99% accuracy is enough to make the putt. Just for reference, I did the drill twice and went 9 out of 10 and 6 out of 10 without touching the gate.

I'll definitely keep those in mind!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I agree with everything but speed.  The micro-target helps with perfect speed, which will lead to more putts lipping in instead of lipping out.  But you are correct; we are not going to get better on speed control on 20 footers.

Yes!!! I forgot about the micro-target. I had one session with more than 21 putts until I holed the micro-target from 3ft. This drill and the dotted line one definitely are for pace and speed.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Yes!!! I forgot about the micro-target. I had one session with more than 21 putts until I holed the micro-target from 3ft. This drill and the dotted line one definitely are for pace and speed.

I hit the micro-target from 3' in 6 tries the night before last and 10 tries last night.  It took me 36 tries tonight.  And poor Allie took 40 whacks at it without keeping it in the micro-target.  But that's the beauty of it.  If I asked her to hit and make 40 3-footers, she'd get bored after about 10 putts.  But she stood there and ground out 40 putts trying to hit that stupid little hole.  

Edited by HardcoreLooper
3 feet, not 3 inches.
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

I haven't used a mirror for years, and when I got mine I thought it was faulty. My eyes were so far past the ball they were almost off the mirror. I'm certain this was contributing to my left misses, especially on longer putts. The magnetic aspect of the mirror is more of a problem for me, it feels a bit like the putter sticks to the mirror. I will look into this more. I probably don't intend on using the mirror for extended session, more for quick check ups of my head position.

Speed control on long putts will be interesting to monitor. Although the mat and pressure trainer wont directly have an influence, I wouldn't be surprised if more precise speed control on 6 foot putts transfers in some degree to longer putts. 

Initial drills with the gate have been fun, and should have a real impact on line.

Although the Puttout system won't help with reading putts, I'm a believer in the old maxim of "every putt is a straight putt". Personally I'm probably a better than average reader of putts, perhaps due to having a bit of a creative side, and constantly adjusting to subtle angles in my work.

• Like 4

My holing speed seems to be about 1 inch short of perfect. Nearly all my putts that don't stay in the micro hole roll back just past the 1 foot line. My ratio for perfect to in the hole is abysmal!

• Sad 1

One thing to note about this (and any mat) - If you're short and your toes are on the mat when you putt, you are liable to wrinkle it.  The Allie-gator has to watch out for this (she's only 4' 7").  Luckily, this mat does a pretty good job of laying flat, so as long as she treads lightly, it stays flat.

• Like 2

Mirror update, it isn't magnetic, the removable guards are. The plastic frame feels a bit like it sticks to the putter head.

Another very important thing to remember when trying to use the micro hole, if you don't push the insert out, there is no hole for the ball to rest in 😳

Trying to hit the "perfect" putt really does tighten my focus. 

• Like 4