Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Putt Out Golf Practice System

One of the advertised benefits of the Putt-Out hole is that the specific curvature is supposed to roll the ball back to you an equal distance to how far it would have rolled past the hole on a missed putt. 

Sometimes I close the micro target so that the ball will roll smoothly up and down the mat to work on speed control. I will hit putts with the intention of die-ing them in the hole so they roll onto the white base but not up the ramp. Then a standard speed put with the intention of having the ball roll back 1 -  2 feet off the ramp. Then even harder getting it to roll back 3-4 feet off the ramp to simulate a 10+ foot putt on the mat. 

• Like 4

I haven't been using Arccos for the past few months because the GPS on my current phone is atrocious, and my old phone decided to up and die on me.  But going without stats for most of the season has been driving me nuts.  So I decided to record all my shots/clubs/yardages manually so I could correct everything in the web dashboard.  That's the level of dedication we bring to these reviews 🤣

So it took a while, but after getting all of the data in, I had a +3.3 handicap for putting today.  For context, my last four rounds in Arccos (all before the PuttOut training started) were +0.8, +4.6, 4.0 and +2.4.  

• Like 6

Managed to upload my Pressure putting video. It's long, and very repetitive, but does give an idea of how difficult it is to get the ball to rest in the micro target.

• Like 4

Managed to upload my Pressure putting video. It's long, and very repetitive, but does give an idea of how difficult it is to get the ball to rest in the micro target.

[/url]  
Great video! I thought you had gone back to back on hitting the micro target there for a second. Looks like you've got great speed control.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Have you guys done the drill where you try to land the ball between in the zone between lines? That's for distance control and I must say... mine is atrocious!

On 8/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I agree with @Peaksy68 and @HardcoreLooper about the micro target: I simply can't recall a time I've ever closed the target.

For the gate: I like it, and I want to like it more. I use a laser level to make sure my mirror, gate, and PuttOUT are all perfectly lined up. But my problem with the gate on my indoor green is that every time I hit it (which is often), it gets bumped slightly offline. If I leave my laser on, it's easy to reposition. But if I want to putt with the laser off, getting it exactly back in place is a bit annoying.

On an actual green, where it is pushed into the green, that isn't a problem. I wonder if getting a bit more weight in the plastic bases for the gate might help keep it from moving indoors.

I'll hope my superintendent doesn't read this part of the review 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Nicely done.  I thought you had 3 in a row there for a moment 👍

• Like 1

Nicely done.  I thought you had 3 in a row there for a moment

It’s a bit strange, but I “hole” more from 3 feet than 1, maybe a focus thing, or a stroke rhythm difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

7 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Have you guys done the drill where you try to land the ball between in the zone between lines? That's for distance control and I must say... mine is atrocious!

I hate that drill on such short putts.  I feel like I decelerate when I do it.  Just a mental problem for me.

1 hour ago, Peaksy68 said:

It’s a bit strange, but I “hole” more from 3 feet than 1, maybe a focus thing, or a stroke rhythm difference.

I agree.  I can't hit it easy enough to make it into the micro-target from 1 foot without taking several tries at it.

+4.9 putting handicap today, and I left a 15 footer short and in the jaws.  Now I need to play someplace where I don't know the greens nearly so well.

• Like 4

On 8/17/2019 at 11:02 PM, Peaksy68 said:

Thanks for the video.  I think it does really show how much focused practice the system provides. That is excellent.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Not a big fan, speed control on 4-5 foot putts is of least importance (other than 2-3 feet) and these mats are quicker than most greens I play on. The biggest benefit is it shows you that your backswing should be very short if you are not going to decellerate on the forward swing. 

It requires more focus than hitting the ball into the full sized cup in my opinion because the margin of error is small. 

• Like 1

Allie and I played in 2-person scramble today, and it was my first really meh putting day since starting the PuttOut testing.  I didn't make anything over a foot today, missing a couple inside six feet.  Of course, Allie only gave me two chances inside 10 feet, because she made everything else we had, so I didn't get to putt much.  I've never seen her make so many putts inside 10 feet.  

• Like 5

I've been starting my practice sessions with the mirror and gate set at 3 feet. My head position is much better than when I started using the mirror, and is now pretty much automatic. The last few times I've put the first 3 cleanly through the gate and then moved onto other drills.

My putting on the weekend was reasonably good, missed one 4 foot putt, made a few from 4-8 feet. I had 2 x 3 putts, one was after a very poor 1st putt from 40 foot, the other after leaving myself 70 foot away with multiple slopes to negotiate. Both times I shaved the hole with my second putt.

Several near misses that went exactly where I aimed at perfect speed but misread the break, or more accurately the lack of break.

• Like 5

I've tried to turn this into a drinking game so I can get my golfing buddies to mess around with it. I have been trying to think take a drink every time you miss the micro target but make it on the ramp itself, this would probably lead to way too much drinking. Drink every time you make the micro target would probably be too little drinking. Trying to think of games to play with it makes practicing easier and more interesting. I hate practicing so this is a way to get myself to use it. The next worst thing is my floor sloping so bad makes using the mat difficult since it rolls nice then just turns out of no where.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, tommc23 said:

floor sloping so bad

Maybe get a piece of thick plywood long enough for the mat .. and optionally wide enough for you to also stand on .. and try to shim where needed to get it all level..?

I like the drinking game idea! Maybe make up teams and the first team to N number of hole-outs makes the other team chug/do a shot 🤣

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Maybe get a piece of thick plywood long enough for the mat .. and optionally wide enough for you to also stand on .. and try to shim where needed to get it all level..?

I like the drinking game idea! Maybe make up teams and the first team to N number of hole-outs makes the other team chug/do a shot 🤣

I'm hoping my new house has a more level area for me to use this. If not I like the idea of the plywood I didn't think of that.

I finally was able to figure out creating a gif using my gopro. My goodness is this a pain but I like it. You can see I didn't have it lined up right as it hit the ramp and right off the side. Also you can see how it just kind of dives right near the end.

FHD0007_Trim_1.gif

• Like 4

The groove is back, and that's not a good thing.

I can deal with it for the points drill and perfect putt, but the mirror/gate drill is nearly impossible right now.  We gave up on it tonight.

I played a different course on Sunday to see how I'd putt on greens I hadn't seen in a while.  Unfortunately, they were so badly torn up, they were just unputtable.

• Like 1

I'm hoping my new house has a more level area for me to use this. If not I like the idea of the plywood I didn't think of that.

I finally was able to figure out creating a gif using my gopro. My goodness is this a pain but I like it. You can see I didn't have it lined up right as it hit the ramp and right off the side. Also you can see how it just kind of dives right near the end.
FHD0007_Trim_1.gif.c41e1b89ed5ccb38a0472459fbbe09f8.gif

Hard to tell from the gif, but it looks like maybe you turn your whole body to follow the ball resulting in pulls.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hard to tell from the gif, but it looks like maybe you turn your whole body to follow the ball resulting in pulls.

I'll video myself to see never noticed. This is a camera on my head my head never moved to follow the ball it has such a wide angle of view that I was shocked it followed the ball.

• Like 3

I'll video myself to see never noticed. This is a camera on my head my head never moved to follow the ball it has such a wide angle of view that I was shocked it followed the ball.

Even with the wide angle of view I wouldn’t expect to see the turn to the left through the follow through. That is why I thought you turned you head

This is what I need to avoid on my short putts to avoid the left miss. Reaction is to watch the ball go into the hole. Easier for me on longer putts since I don’t see the hole in my peripheral vision.

• Like 1