bens197

If you could go back in time and buy your favorite set brand new...

As it says. I was playing with a friend recently who had an older set of clubs. Tried and true he plays a PING bag with a. TiSi Tec and i3’s. He shoots in the 80’s and is perfectly content with his gear. Just like the guy who drives a 20 year old car, change the grips and you’re good to go.

So it brings me to my question, if there was one set you could purchase brand new, no matter the age.

For me it would be a set of Mizuno Grad irons. I played my 962b’s at the same time and there wasn’t anything I loved looking at as much at that time.

So let’s hear it...full bag or just a portion of it.

I hated the TISI Tec but the original TISI with bimatrix shaft was the best driver I have ever owned. Would go back and buy it right now. 

I hated the TISI Tec but the original TISI with bimatrix shaft was the best driver I have ever owned. Would go back and buy it right now. 

TiSi was a monster. At 7* it would launch, carry and roll out. I loved that driver.
  • Like 1

I don't think any of my older clubs are as good as what I'm using today, so I don't think I'd want to go back and buy any of them again.  Although, I sure did like my Great Big Bertha 2 wood.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I don't think any of my older clubs are as good as what I'm using today

That's the key right there.  For me the question is more why I waited so long to upgrade.  For nostalgia sure, but I'm guessing most would find playing vintage clubs to be a disadvantage.  That said, if I had the game to match them, it would probably be a set of Hogan Apex II... the ones with his cameo on the back.  One of my Dad's regular golfing partners played those and I always thought they looked cool.

image.png.b5e2ed56897dd361caefdb7f2f2af364.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

It stands to reason that my older clubs were not as technologically advanced or as well fit to my current swing as what I’m gaming today.

I suppose I would be hurt least if I were to game my old Eye 2 SW so I will go with that.

Now if the question were what clubs did I enjoy most or that I wish I could still play - that would be another matter -

Driver - Tommy Armor PGA

3 wood - “

5 wood - Ping Eye 2

Hybrid. - Cobra 20 degree

Irons. - Eye 2 4-PW

SW. - SCOR 60

Putter. - EVNRoll ER 5

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Mizuno MP-32s for my irons...I still rue the day I got rid of them.☹️

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

MDGolfHacker

I kick myself for selling my Titleist 670’s. Lesson learned, never make a decision in anger.
  • Like 2

It stands to reason that my older clubs were not as technologically advanced or as well fit to my current swing as what I’m gaming today.

I suppose I would be hurt least if I were to game my old Eye 2 SW so I will go with that.

Now if the question were what clubs did I enjoy most or that I wish I could still play - that would be another matter -

Driver - Tommy Armor PGA
3 wood - “
5 wood - Ping Eye 2

Hybrid. - Cobra 20 degree

Irons. - Eye 2 4-PW
SW. - SCOR 60
Putter. - EVNRoll ER 5

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Glide 3.0 Eye2 model.
  • Like 1

Driver: Nakashima NP-1

Hybrid: Cleveland Halo

Irons: Mizuno MP-25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I see a set of mint BeCu Ping Eye 2 originals that were a thing of beauty. I would take a new set of them any day

• Like 2

I got my favorites, in brand new condition and I didn’t have to go back in time.

1992 Macgregor CB-92/VIP combo set. All the heads were new unhit when I got them, the VIP musclebacks still had the plastic on the face.

In the bag now. Love them.

P1100236.jpg

P1100242.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Wow, I’d probably get the victory red blades in a combo set. Loved the version I had but it’d be awesome to have the dream build...

• Like 2

Adams CMB. Was never lucky enough to own a set... only played with a borrowed one, but I loved it!

• Like 4

Adams CMB. Was never lucky enough to own a set... only played with a borrowed one, but I loved it!

Good answer. I will own a set of CMB’s at some point. Always liked those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

MDGolfHacker

Still a good amount for sale on the Bay if interested.

• Like 2

Driver: Tough one.  Its obvious that today's drivers are far superior to older equipment. That being said, I would still buy and play the Taylor Made 360ti.  I hit the crap out of this thing in the early 2000's. 

Fw: Easy one here. OG Tour Edge Exotics 3wd.  Hands down the goat.

Utility: Adams Idea Pro 2 & 3 Irons

Irons: Mizzy MP14's.  I have had 4 sets of these though the years. I miss them.

Wedges: Cleveland 588

Putter: still looking for a good one... 

Driver: Tough one.  Its obvious that today's drivers are far superior to older equipment. That being said, I would still buy and play the Taylor Made 360ti.  I hit the crap out of this thing in the early 2000's. 
Fw: Easy one here. OG Tour Edge Exotics 3wd.  Hands down the goat.
Utility: Adams Idea Pro 2 & 3 Irons
Irons: Mizzy MP14's.  I have had 4 sets of these though the years. I miss them.
Wedges: Cleveland 588
Putter: still looking for a good one... 

I still think pound for pound, the first R7 Quad TP with a Mitsubishi Rayon TP-70 LT shaft was the best driver Taylor Made put to market.
  • Like 1

It would have to be my Nicklaus Muirfield Irons that I bought used (1 season) back in the 1980’s. I gamed them for 15 years.

file-281553E2-043F-4B64-8E24-C03DC9AAADEF-14158-0000098F442D6093.png.6e088846929758189bc62ee100ddbfaf.png

file-64C8E92E-40F5-43A5-A619-178FB4B6E1D4-14158-0000098F40DA3282.png.128ff0d717fc43f4bbb08b1d8f45f2f8.png

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I still think pound for pound, the first R7 Quad TP with a Mitsubishi Rayon TP-70 LT shaft was the best driver Taylor Made put to market.

That thing was good, but for me, I just MASHED the 360ti.  I never developed a good relationship with the R7 Quad.  

R9 Superdeep is another story.

• Like 1