Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

If you could go back in time and buy your favorite set brand new...

bens197

Irons would be i20 or Mizuno Mx-23

driver would be Bridgestone j715 or 2016 Tm m2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 years later...
On 7/10/2019 at 11:03 PM, deejaid said:

I got my favorites, in brand new condition and I didn’t have to go back in time.

1992 Macgregor CB-92/VIP combo set. All the heads were new unhit when I got them, the VIP musclebacks still had the plastic on the face.

In the bag now. Love them.

P1100236.jpg

P1100242.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pure class...chapeau!

I've got the hand-me-down MacGregor woods and Wilson irons that my uncle gave me when I took up the game.

as well as every new set that I've ever bought

except for a couple that I took a bath unloading early  because I ended up disliking them so much.   

I've got stainless sets like Wilson 1200GEs and Titleist DCI 962s. 

I've got forged sets like my Mizuno MP52s.

I don't quite know what to call the modern multi-piece construction irons that I'm playing now.

But if, instead of selling them, you make them the décor theme of your basement,

you don't have regrets. 

I really like all the sets that I've kept because all of them were capable of playing better than I could.

It's not that I buy new clubs often.    I'm not a club ho.    It's just that I've been playing a while.

I suspect that when I die, however, they'll all end up in a dumpster. 

They have no sentimental meaning to the kids who tried and didn't care for the game.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 2 weeks later...

I actually traded-in my father’s late 1960s Sam Snead Blue Ridge Special 3-5-7-9 irons for my first set, 1978 Titleist Lite 100s … without telling him. I believe it took me 5 years to break the news to him, when he was wanting to get back into golf. But by then, he was looking at a new set anyway.

Next set was my first pro line blades, Toney Penna … only available through pro shops.

But the first big name tour clubs I bought were 1980 Wilson Staff Tour Blades. I loved those clubs and would love to play them again, provided I still had my 20 yr old swing.

Now that I think about, I started my golf career buying a new set each year. No wonder I have boxes of old clubs. It’s an addiction.

877C7BEC-4541-4E56-BF09-C45829FE17AB.jpeg

77C70A85-F688-4A02-B2E6-8C2158BE6249.jpeg

0C54F928-1295-4B88-A3EB-8CE3A2E28D51.jpeg

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

10 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I actually traded-in my father’s late 1960s Sam Snead Blue Ridge Special 3-5-7-9 irons for my first set, 1978 Titleist Lite 100s … without telling him. I believe it took me 5 years to break the news to him, when he was wanting to get back into golf. But by then, he was looking at a new set anyway.

Next set was my first pro line blades, Toney Penna … only available through pro shops.

But the first big name tour clubs I bought were 1980 Wilson Staff Tour Blades. I loved those clubs and would love to play them again, provided I still had my 20 yr old swing.

Now that I think about, I started my golf career buying a new set each year. No wonder I have boxes of old clubs. It’s an addiction.

877C7BEC-4541-4E56-BF09-C45829FE17AB.jpeg

77C70A85-F688-4A02-B2E6-8C2158BE6249.jpeg

0C54F928-1295-4B88-A3EB-8CE3A2E28D51.jpeg

I traded off a set of those Penna Originals about 2 years ago now--- Never hit them--- Now I am a big Toney Penna persimmon wood fan

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I traded off a set of those Penna Originals about 2 years ago now--- Never hit them--- Now I am a big Toney Penna persimmon wood fan

I completely forgot about that driver. I had cracked the neck twice, and was trying to make it stronger the 3rd time, by coating it with epoxy, then realized I had filled & sanded down the neck so many times that it was just too thin to keep using. But what I also miss about wood heads was the individualism of Driver colors. I believe the stain I used on that Penna driver was a combo of my favorite Tommy Armour Mohogany and Cherry Red. I would love to dig out my old persimmon drivers, re-grip & re-whip, and hit them. Just for the memories.

E53FE2A0-CAED-4597-B922-111718E7432C.jpeg

9C0184B5-1E39-49D8-916F-E320CB08E69B.jpeg

B6ADF834-7312-48AF-9AEC-F12B455B3F6F.jpeg

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

7 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I completely forgot about that driver. I had cracked the neck twice, and was trying to make it stronger the 3rd time, by coating it with epoxy, then realized I had filled & sanded down the neck so many times that it was just too thin to keep using. But what I also miss about wood heads was the individualism of Driver colors. I believe the stain I used on that Penna driver was a combo of my favorite Tommy Armour Mohogany and Cherry Red. I would love to dig out my old persimmon drivers, re-grip & re-whip, and hit them. Just for the memories.

E53FE2A0-CAED-4597-B922-111718E7432C.jpeg

9C0184B5-1E39-49D8-916F-E320CB08E69B.jpeg

B6ADF834-7312-48AF-9AEC-F12B455B3F6F.jpeg

I hit persimmon quite a bit. Not as much as my pre accident days but some even now---- I keep at least 3 sets bagged up grab and go to play vintage golf. I also have a older Power Bilt laminate I use with range balls to practice my ball striking. I will not hit range balls with any of my persimmons. 2 of my Izette drivers and fairways have the pressed fiber inserts and I will hit nothing but balata with them. Even a soft modern ball with the cover material will damage those faces. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

16 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I hit persimmon quite a bit. Not as much as my pre accident days but some even now---- I keep at least 3 sets bagged up grab and go to play vintage golf. I also have a older Power Bilt laminate I use with range balls to practice my ball striking. I will not hit range balls with any of my persimmons. 2 of my Izette drivers and fairways have the pressed fiber inserts and I will hit nothing but balata with them. Even a soft modern ball with the cover material will damage those faces. 

Never knew that. If I get a persimmon out, I’ll make certain I have balata. Thx.

2 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Never knew that. If I get a persimmon out, I’ll make certain I have balata. Thx.

It will not hurt a well cared for persimmon to hit a modern ball like a Wilson Duo Soft or a Srixon Soft Feel as long as it does not have the pressed fiber face. Plastic faces are fine with the softer modern balls. In the classic world opinions vary as to what modern ball is best to play persimmon with. My all time favorite is the older Lady Bridgestone with the blue writing. My second fav is the Srixon Soft Feel. 

G