If you could go back in time and buy your favorite set brand new...

bens197

4 hours ago, juspoole said:

Still a good amount for sale on the Bay if interested.

Yep, I check a few times a month.  I'm a lefty and the few that I've seen were so beat up that I'd be afraid to hit them because they would fall apart...lol

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

So, I'm putting a whole bag together, sorry Steve.

Driver: MacGregor NVG, no doubt. Demoed this driver for a week when that was possible through golf galaxy, loud and long. Love it

FW: 3 and 5 woods the Adams Ovation line of Fairway woods. A better Tight Lies, I still have the three wood in my basement in case I ever have a hankering to switch up my FW set up

3 Hybrid: Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti. 21* and that True Temper Crossfire shaft, I loved hitting that club at Dick's and our indoor range so much.

4-P: Cleveland CG2, going a bit off the board here but those things were buttery soft with that CMM metal. Just thick enough to have given me confidence in my ball striking days

Wedges: Titleist Vokey. Oil can finish, rust coming in... yes please

Putter: Ping Doc 17. A weird choice but honestly one of my favorite putters of all time

• Like 1

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Project X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe Raw 48* (bent from 50*), 53* (bent from 54*), and 58*, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Here’s my two. I know I already said Grads but I forgot to mention Ram FX Tour Grinds.

IMG_7409.JPGIMG_7410.JPG

• Like 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Favorite set I've owned and wish I could buy brand new? Titliest 735 CM irons, Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can wedges, Titleist 905R driver, and I'd keep my 906 F2 fairway - just add a 5-wood to go with it. Putter would likely be a Tel3 although I've never owned one - I've just always admired them. 

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

I still think pound for pound, the first R7 Quad TP with a Mitsubishi Rayon TP-70 LT shaft was the best driver Taylor Made put to market.

This was a great driver, I had it with FUJI 757, probably the club that has had longest tenure in my bag. When it launched I was working in the golf business and was on staff with TM. I got invited down to Carlsbad and was able to get fit at their facility. We were one of first people to hit on their range. They fit the driver first took our specs and went to building. We finished with remainder of fitting and got a tour of facility. As we walked out they handed us our drivers and we drove to play Torrey Pines South. Pretty good day!

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Here’s my two. I know I already said Grads but I forgot to mention Ram FX Tour Grinds.

IMG_7409.JPG.f38e5a08db6e8823b464dbdb408ba54b.JPGIMG_7410.JPG.9eb1277e55ed6b6327f7ed3a0ff8ca5c.JPG

Ram Tour Grinds are awesome sticks. I really liked the Ram Pro Set which was a combo set. There is a NOS on eBay for $250 bucks but it’s got the regular flex shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

This was a great driver, I had it with FUJI 757, probably the club that has had longest tenure in my bag. When it launched I was working in the golf business and was on staff with TM. I got invited down to Carlsbad and was able to get fit at their facility. We were one of first people to hit on their range. They fit the driver first took our specs and went to building. We finished with remainder of fitting and got a tour of facility. As we walked out they handed us our drivers and we drove to play Torrey Pines South. Pretty good day!

That’s awesome. This was about the same time they launched tmagconnection and let’s just say it was tempting...
  • Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Mizuno MP 14 - BEST irons I have ever owned - man they were awesome.

Founders Club 200 Series - just another set of incredible blades - true butter knives but man they were great. Miss those too.

Would still play either of those.

Beryllium Copper Ping Eye 2 (not the plus) L wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Driver: Tough one.  Its obvious that today's drivers are far superior to older equipment. That being said, I would still buy and play the Taylor Made 360ti.  I hit the crap out of this thing in the early 2000's. 
Fw: Easy one here. OG Tour Edge Exotics 3wd.  Hands down the goat.
Utility: Adams Idea Pro 2 & 3 Irons
Irons: Mizzy MP14's.  I have had 4 sets of these though the years. I miss them.
Wedges: Cleveland 588
Putter: still looking for a good one... 

I loved those idea pro hybrids - but I was thinking back pre hybrid days. I could game them now with a weaker shaft NP.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Irons would be i20 or Mizuno Mx-23

driver would be Bridgestone j715 or 2016 Tm m2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 years later...
On 7/10/2019 at 11:03 PM, deejaid said:

I got my favorites, in brand new condition and I didn’t have to go back in time.

1992 Macgregor CB-92/VIP combo set. All the heads were new unhit when I got them, the VIP musclebacks still had the plastic on the face.

In the bag now. Love them.

P1100236.jpg

P1100242.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pure class...chapeau!

• Like 1

I've got the hand-me-down MacGregor woods and Wilson irons that my uncle gave me when I took up the game.

as well as every new set that I've ever bought

except for a couple that I took a bath unloading early  because I ended up disliking them so much.   

I've got stainless sets like Wilson 1200GEs and Titleist DCI 962s. 

I've got forged sets like my Mizuno MP52s.

I don't quite know what to call the modern multi-piece construction irons that I'm playing now.

But if, instead of selling them, you make them the décor theme of your basement,

you don't have regrets. 

I really like all the sets that I've kept because all of them were capable of playing better than I could.

It's not that I buy new clubs often.    I'm not a club ho.    It's just that I've been playing a while.

I suspect that when I die, however, they'll all end up in a dumpster. 

They have no sentimental meaning to the kids who tried and didn't care for the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually traded-in my father’s late 1960s Sam Snead Blue Ridge Special 3-5-7-9 irons for my first set, 1978 Titleist Lite 100s … without telling him. I believe it took me 5 years to break the news to him, when he was wanting to get back into golf. But by then, he was looking at a new set anyway.

Next set was my first pro line blades, Toney Penna … only available through pro shops.

But the first big name tour clubs I bought were 1980 Wilson Staff Tour Blades. I loved those clubs and would love to play them again, provided I still had my 20 yr old swing.

Now that I think about, I started my golf career buying a new set each year. No wonder I have boxes of old clubs. It’s an addiction.

877C7BEC-4541-4E56-BF09-C45829FE17AB.jpeg

77C70A85-F688-4A02-B2E6-8C2158BE6249.jpeg

0C54F928-1295-4B88-A3EB-8CE3A2E28D51.jpeg

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

10 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I actually traded-in my father’s late 1960s Sam Snead Blue Ridge Special 3-5-7-9 irons for my first set, 1978 Titleist Lite 100s … without telling him. I believe it took me 5 years to break the news to him, when he was wanting to get back into golf. But by then, he was looking at a new set anyway.

Next set was my first pro line blades, Toney Penna … only available through pro shops.

But the first big name tour clubs I bought were 1980 Wilson Staff Tour Blades. I loved those clubs and would love to play them again, provided I still had my 20 yr old swing.

Now that I think about, I started my golf career buying a new set each year. No wonder I have boxes of old clubs. It’s an addiction.

877C7BEC-4541-4E56-BF09-C45829FE17AB.jpeg

77C70A85-F688-4A02-B2E6-8C2158BE6249.jpeg

0C54F928-1295-4B88-A3EB-8CE3A2E28D51.jpeg

I traded off a set of those Penna Originals about 2 years ago now--- Never hit them--- Now I am a big Toney Penna persimmon wood fan

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I traded off a set of those Penna Originals about 2 years ago now--- Never hit them--- Now I am a big Toney Penna persimmon wood fan

I completely forgot about that driver. I had cracked the neck twice, and was trying to make it stronger the 3rd time, by coating it with epoxy, then realized I had filled & sanded down the neck so many times that it was just too thin to keep using. But what I also miss about wood heads was the individualism of Driver colors. I believe the stain I used on that Penna driver was a combo of my favorite Tommy Armour Mohogany and Cherry Red. I would love to dig out my old persimmon drivers, re-grip & re-whip, and hit them. Just for the memories.

E53FE2A0-CAED-4597-B922-111718E7432C.jpeg

9C0184B5-1E39-49D8-916F-E320CB08E69B.jpeg

B6ADF834-7312-48AF-9AEC-F12B455B3F6F.jpeg

• Like 1

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

7 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I completely forgot about that driver. I had cracked the neck twice, and was trying to make it stronger the 3rd time, by coating it with epoxy, then realized I had filled & sanded down the neck so many times that it was just too thin to keep using. But what I also miss about wood heads was the individualism of Driver colors. I believe the stain I used on that Penna driver was a combo of my favorite Tommy Armour Mohogany and Cherry Red. I would love to dig out my old persimmon drivers, re-grip & re-whip, and hit them. Just for the memories.

E53FE2A0-CAED-4597-B922-111718E7432C.jpeg

9C0184B5-1E39-49D8-916F-E320CB08E69B.jpeg

B6ADF834-7312-48AF-9AEC-F12B455B3F6F.jpeg

I hit persimmon quite a bit. Not as much as my pre accident days but some even now---- I keep at least 3 sets bagged up grab and go to play vintage golf. I also have a older Power Bilt laminate I use with range balls to practice my ball striking. I will not hit range balls with any of my persimmons. 2 of my Izette drivers and fairways have the pressed fiber inserts and I will hit nothing but balata with them. Even a soft modern ball with the cover material will damage those faces. 

• Like 1

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

16 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I hit persimmon quite a bit. Not as much as my pre accident days but some even now---- I keep at least 3 sets bagged up grab and go to play vintage golf. I also have a older Power Bilt laminate I use with range balls to practice my ball striking. I will not hit range balls with any of my persimmons. 2 of my Izette drivers and fairways have the pressed fiber inserts and I will hit nothing but balata with them. Even a soft modern ball with the cover material will damage those faces. 

Never knew that. If I get a persimmon out, I’ll make certain I have balata. Thx.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Never knew that. If I get a persimmon out, I’ll make certain I have balata. Thx.

It will not hurt a well cared for persimmon to hit a modern ball like a Wilson Duo Soft or a Srixon Soft Feel as long as it does not have the pressed fiber face. Plastic faces are fine with the softer modern balls. In the classic world opinions vary as to what modern ball is best to play persimmon with. My all time favorite is the older Lady Bridgestone with the blue writing. My second fav is the Srixon Soft Feel. 

• Like 1