Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

US Amateur Qualifer

Golfspy_CG2

Nice pics and summary. Our new deaconess’s brother is an aspiring pro but hasn’t turned yet to try and play in this year’s AM (he missed a playoff at the second US Open stage by a stroke.)

He will hit the Florida mini tour circuits after this - really brutal way for a 21 year old to break in. There are tons of grizzled players down here who go very low in those events.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

45 minutes ago, revkev said:

Nice pics and summary. Our new deaconess’s brother is an aspiring pro but hasn’t turned yet to try and play in this year’s AM (he missed a playoff at the second US Open stage by a stroke.)

He will hit the Florida mini tour circuits after this - really brutal way for a 21 year old to break in. There are tons of grizzled players down here who go very low in those events.

yeah, thanks.  The pics were more of an afterthought, I didn't go out with the idea or thought of "covering" it.  It was just that hole I saw the start differences in their shots as I was walking up the fairway,  I tried to stay back and out of the way most of the round.   But I was struck by just how good and how far these guys hit it.  One of the USGA officials I was standing next to on a par 3 that was playing 206, told me a kid earlier in the day hit a 7 iron.   I just shook my head and we laughed.  

My friend who caddies, lives down near you, I think I have mentioned him to you before, he's  a member at Southern Hills.  He's told me about some of the guys on mini tours and Brian his player lives over in Orlando and has played a lot of golf against those guys.  So he isn't intimated by good competition, which I think helped him in this event.   Hopefully he does well today, but he's pretty far back.  

I'd love to come back down there this fall and play a few days, I love his course.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

yeah, thanks.  The pics were more of an afterthought, I didn't go out with the idea or thought of "covering" it.  It was just that hole I saw the start differences in their shots as I was walking up the fairway,  I tried to stay back and out of the way most of the round.   But I was struck by just how good and how far these guys hit it.  One of the USGA officials I was standing next to on a par 3 that was playing 206, told me a kid earlier in the day hit a 7 iron.   I just shook my head and we laughed.  
My friend who caddies, lives down near you, I think I have mentioned him to you before, he's  a member at Southern Hills.  He's told me about some of the guys on mini tours and Brian his player lives over in Orlando and has played a lot of golf against those guys.  So he isn't intimated by good competition, which I think helped him in this event.   Hopefully he does well today, but he's pretty far back.  
  I'd love to come back down there this fall and play a few days, I love his course.   

Let me know if you’re coming down!!!

I’ve had the experience of playing courses where I saw regular tour/ hogan tour/hooters tour and LPGA events on them. Distance can certainly be stunning but at times so can strategy especially as it’s employed by LPGA players.

I was stunned by the way they played a 400 yard par 4 at Black Wolf run for their US Open. The hole has a deep fairway bunker 220 yards off the tee on the left and a river that bisects the fairway at 245 yards on the right.

Most of the field that I saw hit 5 wood,5 wood taking all the hazards out of play. It would be frightening to hit a 5 wood into that green over water and sand.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've never been to a US Amateur qualifier but have been to two US Junior Am qualifiers in 2007 and 2012.  It was a humbling experience.  Some big names in the current professional golf landscape were in those fields.

Watched a kid from my home club shoot an opening round 63 to lead his qualifier by 3 shots over Peter Uihlein.  He would ultimately finish 4th and fail to make the Junior Am field but his opening round was stunning!  Every single shot he hit into the green seemingly covered the flag stick.  I don't think he had a birdie putt longer than 15 feet all day.  That round is what I think of when I hear players say "63 is the worst I could have scored today!"  Had the kid made a few putts, he could have easily been a few shots lower.

Update:  He shot another +1 (73) to finish +2 missing by a lot, the 4th spot got in with a -3.    

He was pretty upset at himself for finishing poorly both days, he bogeyed the final two holes both days.  They were different holes as he played back nine first the first day, then the front nine the second day.  

Talking to his coach/my buddy this morning.   He hit the ball pretty well both days off the tee, he just never had enough birdie looks to over come those bogeys.    He''s down in VA today playing in I think the Eastern Amateur. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12