Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Whatever happened to stack and tilt?

think it went to the same place as Tathata golf 😉

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

The one and only time I've gone to a PGA professional for a lesson, he was preaching stack and tilt.  I take responsibility for the poor choice.  He was the teaching pro at my former club.  I only took maybe 3 lessons but he had me so screwed up, it took two years to fully recover.  I've always been something of a "loner" and prefer to figure things out on my own.  Dig it out of the dirt so to speak.  I was playing a lot of competitive golf back then and wanted to knock those last 3 or 4 strokes off my game.  Looking back now, I didn't need to change anything.  I could have done much better for myself by getting my short-game tighter.

It was a mistake for me much like it was for Mike Weir!

Golf swings go through phases. Stack and tilt, a swing, golfing machine, and now the whole focus on lower body rotation. I am not saying any of these are right or wrong, but as players win or lose with these approaches instructors target the latest trend. Coaches want to find a niche that gets them students. Gankas is all the rage now but what I see is him promoting the drill with the really exaggerated lower body. It’s bold and flashy but is the same thing lots of other coaches teach...people seem to like bold and flashy. Also not all coaches are good at teaching a method and a student may not be best suited for a particular method. Lots of reasons for them not being the best way.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Many ways to swing a club, some things are fads and disappear, others get taught with no change. Teaching pros learn, adapt and tweak their philosophies and methods all the time. 

As technology evolves it allows for these swing types to be studied and tweaked or abandon. Imo it boils down to the pro and what they feel is best for a student. Some may use early wrist set and upright takeaway ala leadbetter before he called it the a swing. Others prefer a natural set like tiger and others use. Some use a Ben Hogan, GG type separation of legs and rotation while others use a pressure shift/lean and rotate.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1