Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tour Striker Planemate

@dlow206 [mention=89655]rbsiedsc[/mention] have you noticed the plane mate helping with your head position/eye on the ball? I used to follow my hands back to make sure I wasn’t over-swinging, but the plane mate seems to have cured me...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 8/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, edingc said:

So I can comment and say after my initial enthusiasm, I've not really touched it for the past six weeks. I'm definitely going to work with it in the off-season, however.

I played really good golf after getting the PlaneMate, but I think a lot of my struggles for the past few weeks were the result of playing golf swing after getting it. I was finding myself too obsessed with certain pieces of the swing instead of just being athletic and letting it rip.

So much of my downswing success hinges on things like grip and alignment so those things can be worked on without the PM.

I do think my chipping got immediately better, however, and it's possibly worth it just for that. I found it really helped me to properly rotate through the chip using my entire body. I otherwise had a habit of doing everything with my arms only and stabbing at the ball, which led to all sorts of poor strikes while chipping.

This is what Pia Nilsson has been advocating for years - Think Box / Play Box. Basically when it’s time to think and plan your shot, do so. But when it’s time to play - just trust the work you’ve done.

so much easier said than done especially with so much history fighting for attention but the logic is sound and my coach has always used this as our foundation together - and when I let that happen I’m able to perform at levels that show me my best self, golf wise 😉

53 minutes ago, taskerc said:

This is what Pia Nilsson has been advocating for years - Think Box / Play Box. Basically when it’s time to think and plan your shot, do so. But when it’s time to play - just trust the work you’ve done.

so much easier said than done especially with so much history fighting for attention but the logic is sound and my coach has always used this as our foundation together - and when I let that happen I’m able to perform at levels that show me my best self, golf wise 😉

Iirc Pia is also an advocate for doing this on the range with block practice and swing work. Keep everything the same on the practice range as on the course 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Iirc Pia is also an advocate for doing this on the range with block practice and swing work. Keep everything the same on the practice range as on the course 

Hands down my biggest challenge on the course as well.  "If you think you stink" proves true with me.  I intend to give Zen Golf another read and hopefully take some of that to the course as well, although if I do that am I now thinking about thinking?  Ha ha

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

18 hours ago, Micah T said:

@dlow206 [mention=89655]rbsiedsc[/mention] have you noticed the plane mate helping with your head position/eye on the ball? I used to follow my hands back to make sure I wasn’t over-swinging, but the plane mate seems to have cured me...

I believe so yes. Although i recently follow the club back more as I am trying to be less with my arms and more with my hips. once I feel comfortable with that, i believe not looking will become second nature.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

15 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I believe so yes. Although i recently follow the club back more as I am trying to be less with my arms and more with my hips. once I feel comfortable with that, i believe not looking will become second nature.

The club going back should be more with the shoulders and not the hips. The triangle between your arms, chest and club should move together the first 18-24”, basically til your hands are just past the right leg. This is in between p1 (address) and p2 (shaft parallel to the ground) when you move to p2 the hips should then join into the movement of getting to p3 (left arm parallel to the ground)...at this point your hips, knees, ankles and rib cage are helping to rotate into position while adding some extension of the right hand and bending of the right elbow. 

Look at the fix video at the bottom. Does a good job explaining the takeaway

https://www.ggswingtipsgolf.com/backswingtakeaway

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The club going back should be more with the shoulders and not the hips. The triangle between your arms, chest and club should move together the first 18-24”, basically til your hands are just past the right leg. This is in between p1 (address) and p2 (shaft parallel to the ground) when you move to p2 the hips should then join into the movement of getting to p3 (left arm parallel to the ground)...at this point your hips, knees, ankles and rib cage are helping to rotate into position while adding some extension of the right hand and bending of the right elbow. 

Look at the fix video at the bottom. Does a good job explaining the takeaway

https://www.ggswingtipsgolf.com/backswingtakeaway

Thanks. I am getting too many thoughts in my head and confusing things.....

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks. I am getting too many thoughts in my head and confusing things.....

You’re welcome. My advice is to focus on getting the takeaway to p2 working better. If these are off then the rest of the swing is going to be compensations.

There are various instructors who say that from p2 all that needs to happen is a turn. 

I did the day two protocol day which involves rotating from the club at the ball to finish just a little higher that the hips using one hand at a time. I find this to be the most brutal day of the program, as it really puts pressure on the left forearm. 

It moves from there to doing swings with each hand, and I'll say that wasn't pretty. I actually made some decent contact using my left hand only, but my right was a lost cause. 

I then moved on to some pitch shots wearing the band and I had to ask myself, "where was this when I was on the course?". Spent a while getting the feel of what a good shot was supposed to feel like before removing the Planemate and hitting a lot more shots. The positive reinforcement was a sight for sore eyes. Crisp, clean contact shot after shot. I think sometimes I let my hands take control when I'm near the green and I needed a reminder to let the body take control. 

The talk of rotation, hand depth and hand height have been discussed in this thread.

This is a good breakdown of a swing that has some fo these faults.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJMW6Rvpdnb/?igshid=3es6al7udjro

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The talk of rotation, hand depth and hand height have been discussed in this thread.

This is a good breakdown of a swing that has some fo these faults.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJMW6Rvpdnb/?igshid=3es6al7udjro

So is this any better for a turn? This feels like the most I can turn and weight shift. Sorry for no club. Trying to rest some tendinitis. Thanks for sharing. 

My Reviews:

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

So is this any better for a turn? This feels like the most I can turn and weight shift. Sorry for no club. Trying to rest some tendinitis. Thanks for sharing. 

That’s a pretty good turn. Doing it without a club is the right way to start. Gets the body used to the movement.

do you have your feet flared at all? 

one thing I notice is you get a little sway still and the weight/pressure moves towards the outside of your right foot. This will limit the ability to turn as well. A slight bump into the right side is good guys like rory do it. The key is to feel it on the inside of the right foot.

can you send one from face on too?

edit: another thing is you want to gain flex in the left leg as you lose flex in the right leg.

17 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s a pretty good turn. Doing it without a club is the right way to start. Gets the body used to the movement.

do you have your feet flared at all? 

one thing I notice is you get a little sway still and the weight/pressure moves towards the outside of your right foot. This will limit the ability to turn as well. A slight bump into the right side is good guys like rory do it. The key is to feel it on the inside of the right foot.

can you send one from face on too?

edit: another thing is you want to gain flex in the left leg as you lose flex in the right leg.

Merry Christmas 

My Reviews:

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Merry Christmas 

To me it looks like you don’t transfer any pressure to your trail side. At the top of you backswing you should be able to lift te toes on your right foot off the ground and you should just a little bit of pressure in your left heel if not having it off ground just a little bit. I think you make this type of move to avoid the sway like we see in the down the line video.

Your hips turn flat and your shoulders look like they do a bit too (this is something I fight in my swing as well). There should be some a move of the left shoulder down in the start of the swing with a little side bend on the left side...almost like a side crunch. And as you continue to rotate the ribs and hip there would be a little more bend in the left side. As you are doing this the left leg should flex as well which will get some tilt in your.

You do a good job of the left shoulder and left leg going down then around in the downswing but based on your backswing move you aren’t building and keeping any pressure in your right foot instep and leg.

Let me look for a couple videos that demonstrate this concept. 

rotation isn’t really a problem for you. The top of your backswing you get your shoulders more than 90*. It’s about getting it working in better sequencing.

I know @Kenny B had a similar thought about your shoulder swing when he asked for a face on with the club. I’m curious to hear his thoughts on this one and if we see similar things

I couldn’t find the video of Dan Carraher talking about losing flex in trail leg and gaining in the front leg and talking about where pressures should be in the toes and heels.

Martin does a little bit of that in this video

Overall I think Alex Riggs has one of the better videos of the movement of the swing on social media Thats is pretty easy to understand.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIqd2f2BSix/?igshid=h0vlexhtn60d

On 12/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

To me it looks like you don’t transfer any pressure to your trail side. At the top of you backswing you should be able to lift te toes on your right foot off the ground and you should just a little bit of pressure in your left heel if not having it off ground just a little bit. I think you make this type of move to avoid the sway like we see in the down the line video.

Your hips turn flat and your shoulders look like they do a bit too (this is something I fight in my swing as well). There should be some a move of the left shoulder down in the start of the swing with a little side bend on the left side...almost like a side crunch. And as you continue to rotate the ribs and hip there would be a little more bend in the left side. As you are doing this the left leg should flex as well which will get some tilt in your.

You do a good job of the left shoulder and left leg going down then around in the downswing but based on your backswing move you aren’t building and keeping any pressure in your right foot instep and leg.

Let me look for a couple videos that demonstrate this concept. 

rotation isn’t really a problem for you. The top of your backswing you get your shoulders more than 90*. It’s about getting it working in better sequencing.

I know @Kenny B had a similar thought about your shoulder swing when he asked for a face on with the club. I’m curious to hear his thoughts on this one and if we see similar things

Sorry for not being on earlier.  Just got home.

@rbsiedsc  I agree with @RickyBobby_PR.  You have a good upper body turn, but it comes early at the expense of the hip rotation.  You have a slight tilt at address which is good (could be a little more), but almost immediately lose it, standing up straight and slight reverse pivot, which doesn't allow you tonged the pressure to your right foot.  It looks like during the backswing the left leg moves to the right but is pretty straight, rather than the left knee bending in.  Hard to see with the baggy pants.  lol

Your shoulder turn reaches 90º and your hips are still turning.  The hips and shoulders should turn from address together until the hips can't move any more (about 45º), then the shoulder turn starts and continues to the top of the swing.

Remember... Chubb says: "It's all in the hips, it's all in the hips."  lol

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Sorry for not being on earlier.  Just got home.

@rbsiedsc  I agree with @RickyBobby_PR.  You have a good upper body turn, but it comes early at the expense of the hip rotation.  You have a slight tilt at address which is good (could be a little more), but almost immediately lose it, standing up straight and slight reverse pivot, which doesn't allow you tonged the pressure to your right foot.  It looks like during the backswing the left leg moves to the right but is pretty straight, rather than the left knee bending in.  Hard to see with the baggy pants.  lol

Your shoulder turn reaches 90º and your hips are still turning.  The hips and shoulders should turn from address together until the hips can't move any more (about 45º), then the shoulder turn starts and continues to the top of the swing.

Remember... Chubb says: "It's all in the hips, it's all in the hips."  lol

Thanks. @Kenny B and @RickyBobby_PR, I try to force my left knee down and right. It does not want to without feeling like I am falling over. 

My Reviews:

On 12/19/2020 at 5:29 PM, edingc said:

All of the chatter in this thread inspired me to put on the Planemate yesterday and figure out the long green band. I never spent much time with it earlier in the summer, and when I did, I really struggled with the band snapping underneath my arms on the follow through. That's something Martin specifically calls out in the videos that should not happen.

I rewatched the Advanced Protocols finishing position video and picked up on something Martin mentioned that I had missed previously: feeling the right wrist in full extension with palm facing down and slightly away as the club is coming into the ball.

Ta-da! That fixed the band issue, which came down to my misuse of the right hand in the downswing. Previously, I had been keeping the palm down but actively rolling my right wrist into flexion as I was meeting the ball. This basically yielded a flipping movement at the ball. When my timing was good, I could leave the face just open enough to hit the ball straight, but otherwise it was pull/pull hook city.

IMG_20201219_122352.jpg.d5d7aef7adf34a604f4596ed14494a15.jpg

I went to the heated range this morning to work on the new feel and was amazed at how much better I hit the ball. Lots of 6 irons with 132+ ball speed, 4 hybrids in the mid-140s, and most importantly a lot more balls hit straight with a slight draw. Toward the end of my buckets I started getting tired and falling back into the old habits, but I'm ready to get back with a very focused range session some time this upcoming week.

This is actually something my coach picked up on two lessons ago (August, I think), but the feel he had me using was to feel my left hand chopping down and left, which achieved this result by putting the left wrist in flexion on the downswing. That feel worked OK, but I find myself to be more right-side driven and so the right wrist feeling is helpful for me.

I've been struggling with this as well since I started using the long band but I feel like my problem might be different.  I seem to either roll the band over or I leave the club face well open at impact. Even at slow speed I struggle to relax the club and get the clubface closed at impact without flipping it. Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong? 

3 hours ago, Patriots68 said:

I've been struggling with this as well since I started using the long band but I feel like my problem might be different.  I seem to either roll the band over or I leave the club face well open at impact. Even at slow speed I struggle to relax the club and get the clubface closed at impact without flipping it. Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong? 

Sounds like you might not be rotating properly. Post a video 

Sounds like you might not be rotating properly. Post a video 

Yeah we need to see it: I try and “feel” like my arms don’t move at all, I just rotate my hips thru impact.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

16 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Yeah we need to see it: I try and “feel” like my arms don’t move at all, I just rotate my hips thru impact.

Yeah. The arms are pretty much along for the ride. Some forearm rotation, setting of the wrist around p2, trail arm folding with just a little elevation. 

Thanks Guys here are a few quick videos I shot of me. It seems like I'm snapping the band over a lot on the full swings and am launching the ball way to the right on all of the swings. I am someone who often has a hard time getting a certain feel or being able to make my body do what a pro tells me to do in past lessons. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/hhZ1FrG2i1s

https://youtube.com/shorts/Dff81qmLBaU

https://youtube.com/shorts/3uwifi_e7wQ

Hopefully you guys can see these im very limited with my internet speed and reliability right now.

Jeff

21 minutes ago, Patriots68 said:

Thanks Guys here are a few quick videos I shot of me. It seems like I'm snapping the band over a lot on the full swings and am launching the ball way to the right on all of the swings. I am someone who often has a hard time getting a certain feel or being able to make my body do what a pro tells me to do in past lessons. 

Hopefully you guys can see these im very limited with my internet speed and reliability right now.

Jeff

Not an expert on the planemate,  but isn't the green the short band that is supposed to be attached just under the grip?  The standard and pro bands are the ones attached toward the clubhead.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Not an expert on the planemate,  but isn't the green the short band that is supposed to be attached just under the grip?  The standard and pro bands are the ones attached toward the clubhead.  

There’s a short green band that goes under the grip and a long green band like you see here

2 hours ago, Patriots68 said:

Jeff

Here’s what I see with pics to try and help.

You start to rotate the forearm early in the swing and the club moves a little inside. Right arm should be staying on top of the left arm longer. 

As a result when you get to the top you have a very cupped wrist. And the band is close to your arm, where if you had a flat or slightly bowed wrist or would be away from your arm a bit.

In transition you are stuck(a position I’m familiar with in my swing). The right elbow should be in front of the hip.

Due to you being stuck you corrective action is to throw the hands and then rotate them to square up. Which is why you feel the “flip”

a couple drills to work on rotation and keeping the right arm on top the left longer is 1) stick a club in your belly button and choke down on it. While keeping it in your belly button turn your chest without doing anything with your wrist or arms til they are at or just past your right thigh. 2) choke down on a club and stick it on your left hip and like with the other drill just turn the chest while keeping the club on your hip this the hands reach the right leg.

9D085E52-0D5A-4C61-9BE8-05399714BA7D.jpeg

F08E2007-A964-4BA4-A2A8-A43B1E4197B1.jpeg

E133FC6F-E5E7-4AA1-A6E1-9EF690C96032.jpeg

6ACCB9A4-10CC-47D1-BD37-7362A1E43598.jpeg

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s a short green band that goes under the grip and a long green band like you see here

thanks,  I always see the bands being different colors. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

53 minutes ago, cnosil said:

thanks,  I always see the bands being different colors. 

The full length bands have two colors. The green is the one for the next phase after the short band then the red band is the advanced one. 

the short green is usually referred to as the wedge band.