TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tour Striker Planemate

13 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

Just read through the thread and learned a lot. I think I have an answer to why I’m missing right, but want to hear some input... awesome info from @RickyBobby_PR

If this is really the long band, I believe it is connected too far up on the shaft which may cause some issues. I usually try to place it near the balance point of the iron.

For example, it would be really tough to keep tension on the band during the takeaway without doing some manipulation with the long band connected so close to the hands.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

48 minutes ago, edingc said:

If this is really the long band, I believe it is connected too far up on the shaft which may cause some issues. I usually try to place it near the balance point of the iron.

For example, it would be really tough to keep tension on the band during the takeaway without doing some manipulation with the long band connected so close to the hands.

It looked like the long band to me too and if it is it’s definitely to high on the shaft. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20 minutes ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

That’s the short band. Place it about 4 in from the grip

What club were you using with the short band?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

7i

That’s one of the first problems. The short band should be used for sw or pw, maybe a 9i Max.  The long band would be used with the 7i and probably no more than a 6i. Also per the protocols the short band should be for less than full swings. 

The short band with a 7i may or or may not be causing some of your initial takeaway issues as you try to keep tension on it. 

Post a video with the short band on a wedge or the long band on your 7i

25 minutes ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

Here’s my pw and short band. Feels like my wrist is in a better position, but face still slightly open at p6 compared to how it was at p2

Getting the short band paired with a wedge improved some of the issues we saw in the first video with the hand path and lifting of the arms but your hand path is still out a little to far. Is should be tracking more inside while the club head stays outside the hands(pic 1).

your takeaway doesn’t include and real hip rotation so you lack depth in the swing (pic two hours hip have bare moved back and away from the ball (pic 2). You arms are in a decent position but the lack of depth is why you see the face more open at p6.

If we look at pic 3 where you shallow the shaft then look at pic 4 which is just a few frames after that you hands/forearms rotate towards the ball and steeping the shaft. You should be trying the put more bow in the left wrist as you start that shallowing and getting from p4 down to p6. 

this gets us to pic 5 where you see the face more open from the steeping of the shaft and lack of depth that leads to the hips stalling and then in pic 6 you get closer to the ball at impact with your whole body.

at the start of the takeaway feel like your right knee, hip and shouldn’t move back this will help your hand path move  in more and help keep the club head in a better spot. 

044254E6-38B4-40FD-AA23-422DCDF09D26.jpeg

661913E7-CD2D-477A-AD4E-89B4A104255C.jpeg

9F015E1E-9078-4852-98A3-BA9B61F3729E.jpeg

455B387D-9B61-437B-80EA-8AEF47C48B4E.jpeg

0C82D2CB-7B46-487F-BAE3-831ADAFFF197.jpeg

C2205FCB-56B8-4A97-A06F-478C67A28329.jpeg

@RickyBobby_PR thank you much for the breakdown. Shows how much guidance this product needs.  To summarize, I should focus on greater hip/shoulder rotation p2 to p4, actively bow the wrists p4 to p6. 

the early extension may part because I don’t have a ball in front me. 

the takeaway confused me with the early protocols because they didn’t focus much on hip rotation. If I keep rotating from the start, I assume my hands would be more inside?

9 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

@RickyBobby_PR thank you much for the breakdown. Shows how much guidance this product needs.  To summarize, I should focus on greater hip/shoulder rotation p2 to p4, actively bow the wrists p4 to p6. 

the takeaway confused me with the early protocols because they didn’t focus much on hip rotation. If I keep rotating from the start, I assume my hands would be more inside?

For the early protocols they don’t really focus on the hip rotation much but I believe that’s due to the short band pro corps being focused on less than a full length swing. The hip/shoulder turn has to match the swing type. A 1/2 or 3/4 swing doesn’t need as much rotation in the swing as a full shot would. As mentioned in other posts I haven’t really watch the long band protocol series in a long time and just skimmed thru them when commenting on some of the other posts in here, so I don’t recall if/what they talk about regarding hip and shoulder rotation. 

As for the hip/shoulder rotation your shoulders for the most part are fine in your swing, the lead shoulder moves down, hard to tell if it moves towards your right leg from this angle and lighting. You do a good job keeping the right arm on top of the left, it’s just you need to create a little more room in the takeaway. If you watch the short band protocol when David starts the portion of the drill for the take away he doesn’t have a huge shoulder turn at p2 and if you watch his right hip it doesn’t really turn but if move backwards which creates room and notice his hands move or stay close to his right hip they don’t get further away.  Let the protocol call 1 video get to that point then scroll the video back and forth to see it in some what slow motion and you can see his right night and hip move slightly back and his left leg can be seen in front of his right leg a little.

As for p4 to p6 yes add just a little active wrist bow instead of rotation of the forearm. You did a good job of the relaxation piece of the drill but then had a very small amount of forearm rotation that cause the shaft to stand up a little. From that spot of where you relaxed the shaft feel like you add some pressure into your left leg by adding a small amount of knee flex and feel like your arms stay where they are and your body does all the work to rotate into impact

Came across the video the other day 

11 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

A video I came across the other day on Instagram has some good slow mo of hand path and hip movements in the takeaway

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CKXET5Lhs9Q/?igshid=vk9jd9x1l4cw

31 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A video I came across the other day on Instagram has some good slow mo of hand path and hip movements in the takeaway

That awesome. Never thought of the net to get the feeling of. Dropping the club head and keeping pelvis contact. Way better than a wall 😆

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Net is a good one to work with, although the next video of the series, he really changes his takeaway from straight back to inside. Can really confuse some folks

29 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

That awesome. Never thought of the net to get the feeling of. Dropping the club head and keeping pelvis contact. Way better than a wall 😆

Right it makes it easier to not damage a wall or even have rubber rub off. Meandmygolf have a video somewhere using alignment rod on a wall 

Just now, PAndaemonium89 said:

Net is a good one to work with, although the next video of the series, he really changes his takeaway from straight back to inside. Can really confuse some folks

Yeah there’s the feeling/exaggeration of a drill to engrain a feel and how in reality it’s not as drastic of a move. GG talks about this regarding his squat and separation of the leg move in transition. He mentions how someone will never actually be in the position but the exaggeration is needed to get the feel. Bradley Hughes has an over exaggeration for the transition in his drill series. There might be some YouTube videos of it. He puts the large bag he used for his other drills on a table then puts the club in the shallow position and squats way down til the shaft hits the bag. Again he says nobody will ever be in that position during the swing

Video from IG of a pro I worked with in 2019/2020 on fixing hand path and rotation and learned about the right knee, hip, shoulder back to start the swing and how the hand path moves in. He’s also one of the pros that participates in threads on wrx and like Monte has been used by several  members which is why I used him for lessons and what I’ve been working on this offseason. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKhBS0SleSD/?igshid=1fy1iyfeh4qnb

@RickyBobby_PR, would you also recommend the Smart ball for keeping connection if that is still a struggle with the planemate?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

@RickyBobby_PR, would you also recommend the Smart ball for keeping connection if that is still a struggle with the planemate?

Absolutely. It’s a great tool for that. I’ve seen different instructors talk about using it for swings to left arm parallel due to having some arm separation from that point to the top and others who don’t really talk much about that but for sure if making 1/2 to 3/4 swings.  I have one I use peridically.

Some other good drills are 

1) insert alignment rod into an iron or hold it on the side then place alignment rod on left hip. Feel it stay there till the hands get to your right leg. If you want to take this to a full swing set the wrist at this point. The alignment will be on or close to your thigh and parallel to the target line and as you rotate and fold arms to the top of the swing the alignment rod should point at or inside the target line. This portion of the drill is to get the shaft more parallel or as Martin says stand it up like an umbrella.

edit: found one of the meandmygolf videos on this drill

2) do the same thing on the right hip til your hands get to hip high or want some call p2z this will help with the keeping the arms connected to the chest as well as train the right arm to stay on top of the left. If you want to take this to the top finish the turn while folding the right arm and pointing the rod similar to #1 

edit: couldn’t find the videos of me doing this drill from my online lesson with Dan but did recall seeing it with another student of his. Around the 2:30 mark can see Dan demonstrating it

3) a long towel under the arm pits. This is a drill for 1/2 and 3/4 swings. Towel should stay under both arms til left arm parallel. Got this one from the gg online course.

@RickyBobby_PR those videos were great, got back to short pitching motions with the band. I decided to take some swings without the band, sadly to see how much potential speed in losing on upper body disconnect. With my PW, I hit the ball 120 yds just from P2 position- just from firing the hips. That was my stock distance with a full swing. I need to learn how to fire those hips from P4

9 hours ago, PAndaemonium89 said:

@RickyBobby_PR those videos were great, got back to short pitching motions with the band. I decided to take some swings without the band, sadly to see how much potential speed in losing on upper body disconnect. With my PW, I hit the ball 120 yds just from P2 position- just from firing the hips. That was my stock distance with a full swing. I need to learn how to fire those hips from P4

If you are on Instagram checkout martin’s post commenting on Alex Noren hitting balls with the planemate. David Woods posted some comments in there as well and also posted the video on his page with and posted some replies and comments too.

As far as the protocols go do you perform the day 1-7 every day or maybe even 1-4 or 5? 

On 1/26/2021 at 8:39 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yep, still can’t hit a draw. Will have to take it to my coach next time I see him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I gave the Planemate another shot this winter after giving up on it this past summer. As I've continued to work on my swing, it has become evident the Planemate really does get you in the right positions for a powerful, repeatable movement.

One of the pieces of "homework" from my last in-person lesson was to work on keeping my head quiet on the downswing. My tendency was to throw my upper body/head left through impact. With the Planemate, this manifested itself as the band working underneath my trail arm or on my trail wrist on the follow through.

I've been working on a few different feels to get the head moving more on a swivel. The major feel for me is that my right shoulder goes down and out on the downswing rather than out and around. I strapped the Planemate on tonight, and sure enough, down and out keeps the band off my trail arm perfectly. I couldn't get to the range last weekend because of the snow, but I'm hoping to get out there again this weekend to give this new feel a shot. I'll probably bring the Planemate with me just to get some good feels going before I start hitting actual balls.

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

14 minutes ago, edingc said:

I'm so glad I gave the Planemate another shot this winter after giving up on it this past summer. As I've continued to work on my swing, it has become evident the Planemate really does get you in the right positions for a powerful, repeatable movement.

One of the pieces of "homework" from my last in-person lesson was to work on keeping my head quiet on the downswing. My tendency was to throw my upper body/head left through impact. With the Planemate, this manifested itself as the band working underneath my trail arm or on my trail wrist on the follow through.

I've been working on a few different feels to get the head moving more on a swivel. The major feel for me is that my right shoulder goes down and out on the downswing rather than out and around. I strapped the Planemate on tonight, and sure enough, down and out keeps the band off my trail arm perfectly. I couldn't get to the range last weekend because of the snow, but I'm hoping to get out there again this weekend to give this new feel a shot. I'll probably bring the Planemate with me just to get some good feels going before I start hitting actual balls.

Have you not hit balls with the PlaneMate on?  I haven’t either, just wiffle balls in the basement, but I still feel I’m getting plenty of benefit out of it.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

20 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Have you not hit balls with the PlaneMate on?  I haven’t either, just wiffle balls in the basement, but I still feel I’m getting plenty of benefit out of it.

I've hit a few wiffles here and there. Martin makes it looks so easy on the videos. The one time I tried at the range I had pretty awful results so I quickly gave it up.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

43 minutes ago, edingc said:

I've hit a few wiffles here and there. Martin makes it looks so easy on the videos. The one time I tried at the range I had pretty awful results so I quickly gave it up.

When I ran the first 3 or 4 protocols at the range they ones with the ball in the way didn’t look or sound like him or David’s shots

On 2/10/2021 at 7:28 PM, edingc said:

Did you struggle with the 5th protocol in the "advanced protocol" series...the one with the long green where you get to the top of the takeaway (shaft parallel), relax that position (or basically bow the wrist and move the clubhead behind the handle), and then "collect" the ball?

The short band protocols had a similar drill and I had no problem with...did that drill with a gap wedge.  With the long green band doing the protocol I described, but with a 7 iron, my contact is extremely thin.

What club are you using for the long green band protocols?

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

17 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Did you struggle with the 5th protocol in the "advanced protocol" series...the one with the long green where you get to the top of the takeaway (shaft parallel), relax that position (or basically bow the wrist and move the clubhead behind the handle), and then "collect" the ball?

The short band protocols had a similar drill and I had no problem with...did that drill with a gap wedge.  With the long green band doing the protocol I described, but with a 7 iron, my contact is extremely thin.

What club are you using for the long green band protocols?

Correct, any time I tried to move into full swing this past summer I was unable to do so successfully. 

I have an old 6 iron that I use for the protocols.

I'm going to be one of "those" people and say I haven't really followed the protocols much this winter. I just strap on the Planemate for a few minutes with the long band and work through 10-15 iron swings. I really should do better, and as @RickyBobby_PR alluded to, I should give it a longer chance at the range.

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

9 minutes ago, edingc said:

Correct, any time I tried to move into full swing this past summer I was unable to do so successfully. 

I have an old 6 iron that I use for the protocols.

I'm going to be one of "those" people and say I haven't really followed the protocols much this winter. I just strap on the Planemate for a few minutes with the long band and work through 10-15 iron swings. I really should do better, and as @RickyBobby_PR alluded to, I should give it a longer chance at the range.

Okay, thanks.  Part of me is thinking I'm not covering the ball enough or getting to my lead foot enough, but that's not really a talking point for Martin or David during the protocol description.  I also moved the band connector up the shaft a little too just to make sure I didn't have too much fight from the band.

My GolfTec coach has told me he wants me to work on getting some of the "collapse" in my arm out of my swing so maybe this will be a good way to work on that.