TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tour Striker Planemate

14 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Saturday! Can’t wait to test it out. Today’s protocol is key for me. Letting that relax happen and shallowing the club, I’ve never had so many pure contact shots in a row in my life

I'm with you.  I've really focused on the first few protocols to work on a good takeaway (used to whip it inside pretty bad), but my attention has definitely pivoted to the shallowing work.  When I do it, I get the nice little baby draw I'm after.  When I don't, dead pull.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm with you.  I've really focused on the first few protocols to work on a good takeaway (used to whip it inside pretty bad), but my attention has definitely pivoted to the shallowing work.  When I do it, I get the nice little baby draw I'm after.  When I don't, dead pull.

This has really helped with my wrist action. My swing relied so much on timing before (still does but less things all coming together at once now). Ive been looking back alot when not hitting any balls when doing the "umbrella" Funny how that one movement clicks and allows so many things to happen.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

This has really helped with my wrist action. My swing relied so much on timing before (still does but less things all coming together at once now). Ive been looking back alot when not hitting any balls when doing the "umbrella" Funny how that one movement clicks and allows so many things to happen.

The umbrella is key. In watching some swing videos I realized I wasn't fighting the PM enough and was getting my arms really behind me. I haven't actually put the PM back on, but having the feeling of going "up the wall," or "standing up the umbrella" got me back on track.

Good on you for sticking with the PM protocols. I need to bring it with me to the range and work some with it.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Good on you for sticking with the PM protocols. I need to bring it with me to the range and work some with it.

Same here.  I have to admit I’d be a little self-conscious about strapping that thing on and then chunking a bunch of range balls...

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Working my way through the advanced protocols and I'm really enjoying the the work on the backswing and transition to impact.  That umbrella thought really is simple and easy to adopt.  

My hands still want to release through and the band sneaks under if I try a full swing, but my 3/4 and chip pitch shots have been feeling good.  I must be stalling out somewhere with the full swings.  Might set up the video to see if I can capture it.  

I'd like to hit another bucket or two with those partial shots (maybe actually off grass) before getting to the course, but the feel dynamite during practice swings.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Finished up my first set of protocols. Actually utilizing it in the range for 3 range session this past week and it’s wonderful. I’ve already noticed and more importantly felt my striking patterns to be much better. Today hit 30 balls with the planemate on and it instantly transferred after taking it off. I utilized both my 8 and 4 iron after removing it and this was several consecutive balls with 1 hosel0A9DC0C5-7EE2-4548-98C8-50D9E686D7F1.jpeg.fabb473d45b6e7cbd06a88eaea9455f4.jpeg

I also had several people come up and ask what I was utilizing when I first strapped in. They were very intrigued.

I am going to continue to revert back to these protocols Probably day 1/3/4 throughout the week and move into the advanced section and see what we see. So far loving  my swing for this year (see what happens on grass)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Can anyone describe the feeling they get going from the top of the backswing to shallow to ball without PM attached. My head keeps telling me LOOP.

Loop makes me want to use my arms too much.

I try to think “relax” as they use in the drills. If I’m rehearsing the move I might try to feel a twist. But I honestly try to avoid swing thought during actual swing and focus on the shot I want to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

7 hours ago, blyth63 said:

Can anyone describe the feeling they get going from the top of the backswing to shallow to ball without PM attached. My head keeps telling me LOOP.

Martin and David continually use the term "let the band win" when using the PlaneMate; to me what they are essentially describing is letting the weight of the clubhead fall.  Structurally speaking then with your hands and arms, it seems to me the only way to do that and maintain the basic structure of your hands and arms is to begin to feel your right elbow (for a right-hander) begin to tuck in to your hip.

My two cents.  I'm with @B.Bostonthough...when on the range go ahead and chase that feeling, but on the course focus on the target not your swing.

9 hours ago, blyth63 said:

I’m thinking pendulum for me. I’m thinking of letting that club drop down and my hands/arms are just the guide not the force anymore. 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Got in protocol 2 in the advanced protocols in today. This video helped a lot as my takeaway (thanks @B.Boston for saying it) is to inside. I noticed it a few into the protocol and corrected.

this one as they said in the protocol video is a workout. Hell of a stretch and this ones going into the routine moving forward.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

9 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Got in protocol 2 in the advanced protocols in today. This video helped a lot as my takeaway (thanks @B.Boston for saying it) is to inside. I noticed it a few into the protocol and corrected.

this one as they said in the protocol video is a workout. Hell of a stretch and this ones going into the routine moving forward.

Yeah I think my sides are still a little sore... haha

I really like that one.  I can see that take back to parallel - check - raise the umbrella being my go to feel move in my pre shot routine now.  It's a good feeling one for me.

15 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

does it feel like you're standing the club straight up and down and that it's over your right ear?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

14 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

does it feel like you're standing the club straight up and down and that it's over your right ear?

Over the right ear but it’s pretty vertical. I did the “tension test” as I call it and the club falls on plane it’s a good feeling 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 12/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Here you go. I tried to take everyone’s advice and try to rotate more and not move my arms as much. 

The one thing you should do is practice with shoes on!  bare or socked feet don't give you the same feels and also inhibit movement.....

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.5* Tensei Stiff

Woods:  Orlimar Tri-metal 13* and 17* original stiff flex shafts (also have the SF-302 iron set 2-SW)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey 50*, Harry Taylor 56* and 60*

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (original)

5 minutes ago, chaeslounge said:

The one thing you should do is practice with shoes on!  bare or socked feet don't give you the same feels and also inhibit movement.....

Debatable on the bare feet part.  Sean Foley often has his players practice in their bare feet...he's argued that denying a player the built-in stability functions of modern golf shoes trains a player to better grip the ground.

4 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Debatable on the bare feet part.  Sean Foley often has his players practice in their bare feet...he's argued that denying a player the built-in stability functions of modern golf shoes trains a player to better grip the ground.

I don't disagree with that perhaps on actual grass turf, but it's gotta be tough on your trail toes on a carpeted or hardwood floor....

Anyway, sorry folks, kinda reading all the posts on this thread, and haven't provided my personal experience with this swing aid.  I got the Planemate last summer and it's helped me tremendously.  I'm 51 yrs old and basically realized last year that I had been swinging the club incorrectly my entire life (a lot of casting, with thin hits and lots of slices).

Prior to using the PM and watching a lot of youtube instruction videos, I was scoring from 100-110 range, and after the PM, I've brought down my scoring to the low 90s/high 80s last year alone.  I've played about 10 rounds this season, and I shot an 82 so far.  A lot of that improvement was due to the PM.  As people have noted, immediate improvement on the short iron/wedge play.  And then more consistent ball striking with my other clubs after doing the initial protocols.

What I've been working on this spring have been the advanced protocols.  And this is where shallowing of my swing is the goal. I still have a steep swing path, causing slices and thin hits.  Protocol 5 in the advanced protocols, "impact position", really gets at the rolling of the left wrist at the top of backswing or start of downswing, with corresponding right wrist bending like a waiter holding a tray over their shoulder.  Basically what Dusting Johnson does at the top of his backswing - but not as pronounced in my case.  Anyway, that wrist position creates the lag that everyone talks about.  

That wrist position is actually easier for me with the driver/fairway woods than my irons, and where I was basically topping out at 250 yds max on my drives at the beginning of last season, I am now carrying my drive from 260-275 yds with the magical baby draw flight path with more consistency.  I frequently out drive my (younger) buddies by like 60 yards now.

So, from my personal experience, I love the Planemate and try to practice with it before every round and always at the driving range.  

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.5* Tensei Stiff

Woods:  Orlimar Tri-metal 13* and 17* original stiff flex shafts (also have the SF-302 iron set 2-SW)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey 50*, Harry Taylor 56* and 60*

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (original)

@Lacassem, have you been able to get on course post-protocols yet?  Or was that the snowed out round you were referring to in another thread...?

Just a swing in the yard, but this was not immediately after a workout and I’ve never had a path pattern like this.  I’m excited to get to the range/course and see some video hitting balls.  

Pretty sure this would have been a big ol slice since it looks like my face is open... but that usually get cleaned up when I actually have the ball to focus on.

@Lacassem, have you been able to get on course post-protocols yet?  Or was that the snowed out round you were referring to in another thread...?

Only swings I have taken have been simulator. Was snowed out for my first round of the year. I am hoping to get out this Saturday with my son but well see. I really need some turf interaction to see the changes.

The simulator swings, taken with a grain of salt for the first 9, felt absolutely fantastic and just the feel of the good contact consistently is positive at this point for me.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Have gone through both 7 day and advanced protocols and I have my daily protocols that I find very beneficial for me. Take away impact and follow through are the big points for me. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed not only the equipment itself but the explanations from Martin and David are key for me. Sometimes I struggle with understanding/interpreting a lot of golf mechanics and purpose of doing something in the swing but these guys hit the nail on the head for me. Associating certain movements to other sports is key for my own understanding. 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Have gone through both 7 day and advanced protocols and I have my daily protocols that I find very beneficial for me. Take away impact and follow through are the big points for me. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed not only the equipment itself but the explanations from Martin and David are key for me. Sometimes I struggle with understanding/interpreting a lot of golf mechanics and purpose of doing something in the swing but these guys hit the nail on the head for me. Associating certain movements to other sports is key for my own understanding. 

I'm glad to see you're liking it and sticking with it.  I agree that while most of the focus and outside discussion is on the shallowing aspect, the muscle memory it helps build for a better takeaway is invaluable.

That said, the shallowing part is where I'm really trying to go right now.  I've had a couple dead pulls with driver lately that I can attribute to not shallowing and an out-of-sequence rake to the left.  That's what's really been hold me back of late, but I'm confident I'm improving.

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm glad to see you're liking it and sticking with it.  I agree that while most of the focus and outside discussion is on the shallowing aspect, the muscle memory it helps build for a better takeaway is invaluable.

That said, the shallowing part is where I'm really trying to go right now.  I've had a couple dead pulls with driver lately that I can attribute to not shallowing and an out-of-sequence rake to the left.  That's what's really been hold me back of late, but I'm confident I'm improving.

Is there any other contributing factor do you think or is strictly shallowing? For me the key to the shallowing is making sure I have my extension at the top. I have found I fail to shallow when I go back to my habit of bending the wrists instead of "raising the umbrella".

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

14 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Is there any other contributing factor do you think or is strictly shallowing? For me the key to the shallowing is making sure I have my extension at the top. I have found I fail to shallow when I go back to my habit of bending the wrists instead of "raising the umbrella".

Well I've never had the benefit of catching one of those pulls on film, but I really think it's just sequencing...not getting that little bump forward first that facilitates the hands dropping.  Honestly, it's mostly mental for me, I find that I hit that shot when my focus is on the ball rather than collecting it and sending it to the target where my focus should be.

@Lacassem, this is a video I like to watch a lot and have in mind.   He doesn't use the word shallow per se, but if you watch he's basically talking about his lower body clearing and his arms/hands dropping and then releasing the club, whereas when I hit those pulls I'm talking about I'm just releasing way too early I think.

Fred Couples' Keys To an Effortless Golf Swing | Golf Tips | Golf Digest - YouTube

Always good for my game and tempo to draw some inspiration from watching Freddy swing. 

How he could swing so effortlessly and still develop back problems is beyond my understanding...

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

@Lacassem, this is a video I like to watch a lot and have in mind.   He doesn't use the word shallow per se, but if you watch he's basically talking about his lower body clearing and his arms/hands dropping and then releasing the club, whereas when I hit those pulls I'm talking about I'm just releasing way too early I think.

Fred Couples' Keys To an Effortless Golf Swing | Golf Tips | Golf Digest - YouTube

Always good for my game and tempo to draw some inspiration from watching Freddy swing. 

How he could swing so effortlessly and still develop back problems is beyond my understanding...

It is amazing that he can make it look so easy and still pumped them out there around 300 yards.  It may look effortless, but there's still a lot of torque going on there!

Also an update:  I warm up with the planemate in the morning while my reports are running for the day, Just did a few free swings and I still feel like the planemate is pulling me into positions... so cool and strange at the same time.

Ah yes makes sense!

some folks are just prone to issues. Like me family history says I’ll have knee problems down the road. Almost a guarantee. Wonder if his family had a history of it. 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, blyth63 said:

Anyone else had the tightening knob crack? Mines only lasted 10 days!

no issues here.  Still a new user as well, but not issues to report.

1 hour ago, blyth63 said:

Anyone else had the tightening knob crack? Mines only lasted 10 days!

Still good here. I try not to overtighten and typically using the smaller part of the shaft tube so I dont overtighten.

Check out my reviews:

WITB: