Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tour Striker Planemate

3 hours ago, blyth63 said:

Anyone else had the tightening knob crack? Mines only lasted 10 days!

Nope, I hand tighten it pretty darn snug, but haven't had a problem.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

On 4/29/2021 at 6:06 AM, blyth63 said:

20210428_193330.jpg

yes, mine broke off about 6 weeks in.  I contacted them and sent a photo and they sent a replacement.  The replacement has been fine so far.

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.5* Tensei Stiff

Woods:  Orlimar Tri-metal 13* and 17* original stiff flex shafts (also have the SF-302 iron set 2-SW)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey 50*, Harry Taylor 56* and 60*

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (original)

• 4 weeks later...

Is the Planemate beginning to run it's course? This had a lot of discussion here and around the interwebs and a lot of discussion on social media for about 18 months. I noticed there doesn't seem to be much buzz around this online anymore. 

It looks like a good day to play golf!

8 minutes ago, TaketheCannoli said:

Is the Planemate beginning to run it's course? This had a lot of discussion here and around the interwebs and a lot of discussion on social media for about 18 months. I noticed there doesn't seem to be much buzz around this online anymore. 

I personally think it’s a perfect addition to range sessions and an easy day to day backyard swing trainer. I’m using it about 4x per week. It has not completely transformed my swing but it’s helping me practice much better habits 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, TaketheCannoli said:

I don’t know about running it’s course, I think it’s just not “new” anymore and let’s face it, if you want to sell a training aid right now the market is all about speed training.

For me, like @Lacassem, I’m getting plenty of use out of mine and am already hatching plans to incorporate the as yet untouched red band into my next offseason...

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

6 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I don’t know about running it’s course, I think it’s just not “new” anymore and let’s face it, if you want to sell a training aid right now the market is all about speed training.

For me, like @Lacassem, I’m getting plenty of use out of mine and am already hatching plans to incorporate the as yet untouched red band into my next offseason...

Yea I haven’t touched red yet either. Have a pretty good routine day to day and a little different when I hit the range (1-2x) per week

well said “it’s not new” anymore so it loses that hype and everything is Bryson right now so swing mechanics get lost in the shuffle

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

12 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Yea I haven’t touched red yet either. Have a pretty good routine day to day and a little different when I hit the range (1-2x) per week

Sounds like you're glad you bought...good to hear.

You're actually hitting balls on the range with it then?  I only ever hit wiffles in the basement with it; my daily routine now is to rip through protocols 15 to 20 reps of protocols 1 and 2, and then 30 of 5...really trying to burn in the shallowing effect.  I can't say I do it every day, but most.

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sounds like you're glad you bought...good to hear.

You're actually hitting balls on the range with it then?  I only ever hit wiffles in the basement with it; my daily routine now is to rip through protocols 15 to 20 reps of protocols 1 and 2, and then 30 of 5...really trying to burn in the shallowing effect.  I can't say I do it every day, but most.

Yes I am actually doing "full" swings not really full but I try to atleast get the full motion of what I would do on course. I tend to have a couple cross overs on the finish but it really helps me with takeaway and transition. I am still flicking a little at impact but for the short few months I have been using it I am noticing improvements which is positive.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Longtime reader, first time poster.  This has been a great thread!

I received a PM last week and have been diligent with it due to bad weather.  I’m up to protocol 5, and have been compounding the drills at home with foam balls (e.g., Sunday: protocol 1; Monday: protocols 1 and 2...this morning: protocols 1-5). 

I was invited to play today last second.  I didn’t have time to hit the range, and haven’t hit a real ball in weeks.  As you can imagine, the first few holes were horrific - pulls, shanks, and way too many swing thoughts.  Toward the end of the round, I stopped trying to replicate the PM movements and just relaxed, with better results.  Overall, my wedge play from 100 in was surprisingly great and I was hitting my irons 15-20 yards longer than usual.  Driver and long irons were bad.

After dinner, I went to the range to work things out.  Oddly, something clicked and I was striking all of my irons as well as I have in years - very flush and with the same 15-20 yard distance gain (presumably due to better rotation and contact).

With the start of warm weather upon us, do you guys have any suggestions as to how should I approach my PM usage?  On one hand, I’m worried about this inconsistency lasting weeks/months as I continue to drill away with 2 to 4 protocols per day.  On the other hand, my old swing was very inconsistent - flashes of brilliance mixed with mediocrity (I was about a ~10 hdcp last year thanks to a good short game but bad beyond ~150 yards).  Basically, is the PM best left for the offseason or can it be used effectively and concurrently in-season?  Thanks in advance! 

@OHgolfer2Nice post! What do you think is the reason for the extra 15-20 yards? Is it better contact or higher clubhead . speed? and assuming the OH in your handle means Ohio? If you are interested, there is a strong Ohio group on here. Regular outings etc.

@Lacassem@Getoffmylawn Are you having any challenges integrating each separate movement into one smooth swing? Did you have any problems with the relax portion, especially in protocol 3?

It looks like a good day to play golf!

8 hours ago, OHgolfer2 said:

Longtime reader, first time poster.  This has been a great thread!

I received a PM last week and have been diligent with it due to bad weather.  I’m up to protocol 5, and have been compounding the drills at home with foam balls (e.g., Sunday: protocol 1; Monday: protocols 1 and 2...this morning: protocols 1-5). 

I was invited to play today last second.  I didn’t have time to hit the range, and haven’t hit a real ball in weeks.  As you can imagine, the first few holes were horrific - pulls, shanks, and way too many swing thoughts.  Toward the end of the round, I stopped trying to replicate the PM movements and just relaxed, with better results.  Overall, my wedge play from 100 in was surprisingly great and I was hitting my irons 15-20 yards longer than usual.  Driver and long irons were bad.

After dinner, I went to the range to work things out.  Oddly, something clicked and I was striking all of my irons as well as I have in years - very flush and with the same 15-20 yard distance gain (presumably due to better rotation and contact).

With the start of warm weather upon us, do you guys have any suggestions as to how should I approach my PM usage?  On one hand, I’m worried about this inconsistency lasting weeks/months as I continue to drill away with 2 to 4 protocols per day.  On the other hand, my old swing was very inconsistent - flashes of brilliance mixed with mediocrity (I was about a ~10 hdcp last year thanks to a good short game but bad beyond ~150 yards).  Basically, is the PM best left for the offseason or can it be used effectively and concurrently in-season?  Thanks in advance! 

My two cents:

One, never a good idea to play “golf swing” instead of golf when you get out on the course.  In other words, don’t try to replicate PlaneMate feels on the course...you’re doing enough reps of the protocols, at some point you have to trust that the training will come through and impact your full swing.  
Two, I’d make sure the PlaneMate is consistent with what you truly need to work on.  For me, I was whipping the club too inside on the takeaway, I can get too steep on the downswing, and I tend to steer with my hands instead of letting my big muscles control the club face.  PlaneMate is perfect for me, but maybe not for everyone...I think it is good practice to get a lesson or two and make sure you’re addressing the right faults.

6 minutes ago, TaketheCannoli said:

@OHgolfer2Nice post! What do you think is the reason for the extra 15-20 yards? Is it better contact or higher clubhead . speed? and assuming the OH in your handle means Ohio? If you are interested, there is a strong Ohio group on here. Regular outings etc.

@Lacassem@Getoffmylawn Are you having any challenges integrating each separate movement into one smooth swing? Did you have any problems with the relax portion, especially in protocol 3?

To your first question, see above...I find it’s not a challenge so long as I trust the training and not try to replicate it on the course.

The relax and shallowing part is the biggest challenge, largely because (and I suspect for most of us) it’s counter to the steep and even over-the -top move I’ve had in my swing for years.

46 minutes ago, TaketheCannoli said:

Like @Getoffmylawnsaid it’s tough because I am literally revamping a swing I’ve had my whole life. I have a lot of raw power that I need to harness the right way.

My flaws are 1) take away was inside as well but that was very easily corrected for me, that was pretty automatic which was good and 2) with my over the top transition it forced me to extend early and flick my wrists.....while that worked for me I relied 110% on timing and when it wasn’t right it was ugly.

the planemate has helped that transition slowly which I am fine with. I am not as over the top now which has allowed me to focus on shallowing, keeping my “buns down” and utilizing my core not my wrists. I’m still wristy but is a very hard habit to break and I’m ok with working on that over time. 

I think the biggest benefit not only to the equipment is the description in each protocol. I’m extremely visual and the way Martin shows while describing the how and why in each protocol is crucial for me. 

Long winded but to wrap up the relax wasn’t an issue for me, awkward but once it clicked it clicked. And while my entire swing top to bottom isn’t “tour” quality it’s slowly getting better which is all I can ask

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

2 hours ago, TaketheCannoli said:

Hello @TaketheCannoli, thank you for the kind words!  I will get involved in the OH group.  

As for the extra distance, I believe that it's a combination of (1) better hip rotation; and (2) better contact.  A good hip rotation was never something that I consciously focused on with my swing until the PM.  Also, perhaps as a result of the better rotation, my iron contact was far more consistent last night.  In past years, I'd often hit mid and long irons fat, thin, etc. and then swing a little slower to ensure better contact.  So far, with the PM, I've been able to maintain higher clubhead speed while making good contact.  Again, it's only been 5 days with the PM, so time will tell...

Edited by OHgolfer2
typo

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

My two cents:

One, never a good idea to play “golf swing” instead of golf when you get out on the course.  In other words, don’t try to replicate PlaneMate feels on the course...you’re doing enough reps of the protocols, at some point you have to trust that the training will come through and impact your full swing.  
Two, I’d make sure the PlaneMate is consistent with what you truly need to work on.  For me, I was whipping the club too inside on the takeaway, I can get too steep on the downswing, and I tend to steer with my hands instead of letting my big muscles control the club face.  PlaneMate is perfect for me, but maybe not for everyone...I think it is good practice to get a lesson or two and make sure you’re addressing the right faults.

Thank you for the reply, @Getoffmylawn!  As to #1, you're correct that I should've avoided focusing on the swing mechanics while on the course.  Just a bad habit of overthinking things on my part.  

For #2, that makes good sense regarding the PM being consistent with my true needs.  My takeaway has been generally solid in the past, but a too steep downswing has been an issue.  I would get too handsy in an effort to square the clubface at impact.  This would lead to 8 or 9 holes when everything worked great, and then 4 or 5 holes when I was completely out of sync (slice, snap hook, etc.).  I would have stretches of 2 over after 9 followed by a double or triple bogey stretch due to driver woes.  Hip rotation also wasn't a focus.  I plan on getting a lesson once the weather gets nicer here in OH.  

Out of curiosity, how often were you using the PM and how long did it take for you to trust your swing on the course?  Did you notice a correlation between more PM practice and a better/more consistent swing?

• 3 weeks later...

I curious if anyone else is struggling with the post-impact finishing position on quicker swings with the long band or driver swings. I feel like I have to do some work to prevent my right wrist from ‘releasing’ and getting the band caught on my hands. I have difficulty performing the follow through that they describe in advanced protocol “finishing position” with any speed so I’m curious if that feel is intended by design—something that I should lean into—or something that I should practice more to make it feel more natural. Basically it feels like I have to hold off on pretty hard with my hands. 

When I go slow I understand the follow through (or at least I can be in similar positions) but I’m unsure whether I should be feeling that same tension when I swing without the band or just let my wrist naturally straighten and stop worrying.

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

8 hours ago, AndySP said:

I curious if anyone else is struggling with the post-impact finishing position on quicker swings with the long band or driver swings. I feel like I have to do some work to prevent my right wrist from ‘releasing’ and getting the band caught on my hands. I have difficulty performing the follow through that they describe in advanced protocol “finishing position” with any speed so I’m curious if that feel is intended by design—something that I should lean into—or something that I should practice more to make it feel more natural. Basically it feels like I have to hold off on pretty hard with my hands. 

When I go slow I understand the follow through (or at least I can be in similar positions) but I’m unsure whether I should be feeling that same tension when I swing without the band or just let my wrist naturally straighten and stop worrying.

Yes it’s very difficult for me on anything more than smooth 3/4 swings. 

I Think this suggests that my hips are stalling out, but I think it may be that my hips are getting too far ahead of me, and have to stop at that point. 

I was actually going to rewatch those videos today and report back if I caught Something to help. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Thanks, I’m glad to hear I’m not all alone on this.

I practiced a little today trying to focus less on my wrist hinge and a bit more on keeping the correct swing plane and it started to feel good. I wondering now whether the purpose is to avoid handle raising or lifting out of posture rather than the wrist conditions in the follow through. 

They sell that wrist “impact strap” as well, to avoid “thumbing down” in the swing seems like a similar theory.  

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

2 hours ago, AndySP said:

I practiced a little today trying to focus less on my wrist hinge and a bit more on keeping the correct swing plane and it started to feel good. I wondering now whether the purpose is to avoid handle raising or lifting out of posture rather than the wrist conditions in the follow through. 

They sell that wrist “impact strap” as well, to avoid “thumbing down” in the swing seems like a similar theory.  

You're definitely not alone! I've been using mine for about a year and still struggle doing full swings at normal speed. Like @B.Boston mentioned, I typically stick to 3/4 swings. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

16 hours ago, AndySP said:

@B.Bostonalready hinted at this but I  found this happened to me when I stalled and stopped rotating/turning.  Martin Chuck really emphasizes using the body and your big muscles to control the club rather than your hands and arms, and it seems to me in my experience that was the "secret" to avoiding the band getting caught up as you describe.

7 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

@B.Bostonalready hinted at this but I  found this happened to me when I stalled and stopped rotating/turning.  Martin Chuck really emphasizes using the body and your big muscles to control the club rather than your hands and arms, and it seems to me in my experience that was the "secret" to avoiding the band getting caught up as you describe.

What I still haven't figured out is that I feel like I've rotated as much as I can but still get the band under me or close to under me on full swings.  I have two thoughts as to why this could be right now:

1.  My follow through is too flat going around my body vs up.  I know that I do not have that same vertical shaft feeling as I do on the 3/4 swings.

2. I turn too much too quick for where my upper body is at impact.

I'm going to try to record some swings later if its dry enough with the planemate on and I'll share.  

But I'd also like to add that the crispness of shots I've been seeing at the range and on the course have proven to me that even the slower speed swing work has had an impact on my game.  They weren't lying in the first week when they say that just the short band and pitching/chipping motion should improve your game.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I got mine last night. After some general use, it seems pretty good for keeping me on plane. It's an area that I continually struggle with.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I'm about to buy one of these used. The original owner never registered it and seems a bit confused by the process on the website. 

Does it eventually ask you for a serial number on the PM to complete registration after you add it to your cart and checkout? Is there a waiting period before it is completed to get into the advanced content?

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

10 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I'm about to buy one of these used. The original owner never registered it and seems a bit confused by the process on the website. 

Does it eventually ask you for a serial number on the PM to complete registration after you add it to your cart and checkout? Is there a waiting period before it is completed to get into the advanced content?

I'm pretty sure it asked me for my order number... It might be something worth giving them a call or e-mail about to see what you'd need.

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I only had to use my email address associated with my order

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I think the registration associates your email address with the order.  You go through another purchase order adding the advanced content to your cart and completing the "purchase" for $0.

You might have to call to see how you can do it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@B.Boston @Kenny B @RickyBobby_PR - Thanks for the help

To all you seasoned PM users:
Should I get into this thing mid-season? Or stash it in the closet for 4 months until the season is over, grind all winter, and emerge a new player next year instead of mixing in a bunch of playing with old habits? 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

Just now, BMart519 said:

@B.Boston @Kenny B @RickyBobby_PR - Thanks for the help

To all you seasoned PM users:
Should I get into this thing mid-season? Or stash it in the closet for 4 months until the season is over, grind all winter, and emerge a new player next year instead of mixing in a bunch of playing with old habits? 

So the whole first week is really focused on the short swing motion.  I can't see a reason why NOT to start at least that now.  My chip/pitching was immediately more crisp in contact but not significantly different in what I had for feel on distance.  

Honestly if I did nothing else but that week one routine as winter practice I think I'd have a big jump on my year next season, but I wouldn't worry about screwing yourself up too bad.  But YMMV, so don't get mad at me if it takes an adjustment period! haha

Just now, B.Boston said:

So the whole first week is really focused on the short swing motion.  I can't see a reason why NOT to start at least that now.  My chip/pitching was immediately more crisp in contact but not significantly different in what I had for feel on distance.  

Honestly if I did nothing else but that week one routine as winter practice I think I'd have a big jump on my year next season, but I wouldn't worry about screwing yourself up too bad.  But YMMV, so don't get mad at me if it takes an adjustment period! haha

I just recovered from the shanks (primarily on partial wedges), so I don't think this could possibly be worse compared to the number of balls I sent sideways under a tree or into the water. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60