Tour Striker Planemate

Have gone through both 7 day and advanced protocols and I have my daily protocols that I find very beneficial for me. Take away impact and follow through are the big points for me. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed not only the equipment itself but the explanations from Martin and David are key for me. Sometimes I struggle with understanding/interpreting a lot of golf mechanics and purpose of doing something in the swing but these guys hit the nail on the head for me. Associating certain movements to other sports is key for my own understanding. 

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Have gone through both 7 day and advanced protocols and I have my daily protocols that I find very beneficial for me. Take away impact and follow through are the big points for me. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed not only the equipment itself but the explanations from Martin and David are key for me. Sometimes I struggle with understanding/interpreting a lot of golf mechanics and purpose of doing something in the swing but these guys hit the nail on the head for me. Associating certain movements to other sports is key for my own understanding. 

I'm glad to see you're liking it and sticking with it.  I agree that while most of the focus and outside discussion is on the shallowing aspect, the muscle memory it helps build for a better takeaway is invaluable.

That said, the shallowing part is where I'm really trying to go right now.  I've had a couple dead pulls with driver lately that I can attribute to not shallowing and an out-of-sequence rake to the left.  That's what's really been hold me back of late, but I'm confident I'm improving.

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM DHY 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm glad to see you're liking it and sticking with it.  I agree that while most of the focus and outside discussion is on the shallowing aspect, the muscle memory it helps build for a better takeaway is invaluable.

That said, the shallowing part is where I'm really trying to go right now.  I've had a couple dead pulls with driver lately that I can attribute to not shallowing and an out-of-sequence rake to the left.  That's what's really been hold me back of late, but I'm confident I'm improving.

Is there any other contributing factor do you think or is strictly shallowing? For me the key to the shallowing is making sure I have my extension at the top. I have found I fail to shallow when I go back to my habit of bending the wrists instead of "raising the umbrella".

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

14 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Is there any other contributing factor do you think or is strictly shallowing? For me the key to the shallowing is making sure I have my extension at the top. I have found I fail to shallow when I go back to my habit of bending the wrists instead of "raising the umbrella".

Well I've never had the benefit of catching one of those pulls on film, but I really think it's just sequencing...not getting that little bump forward first that facilitates the hands dropping.  Honestly, it's mostly mental for me, I find that I hit that shot when my focus is on the ball rather than collecting it and sending it to the target where my focus should be.

• Like 2

@Lacassem, this is a video I like to watch a lot and have in mind.   He doesn't use the word shallow per se, but if you watch he's basically talking about his lower body clearing and his arms/hands dropping and then releasing the club, whereas when I hit those pulls I'm talking about I'm just releasing way too early I think.

Fred Couples' Keys To an Effortless Golf Swing | Golf Tips | Golf Digest - YouTube

Always good for my game and tempo to draw some inspiration from watching Freddy swing. 

How he could swing so effortlessly and still develop back problems is beyond my understanding...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

@Lacassem, this is a video I like to watch a lot and have in mind.   He doesn't use the word shallow per se, but if you watch he's basically talking about his lower body clearing and his arms/hands dropping and then releasing the club, whereas when I hit those pulls I'm talking about I'm just releasing way too early I think.

Fred Couples' Keys To an Effortless Golf Swing | Golf Tips | Golf Digest - YouTube

Always good for my game and tempo to draw some inspiration from watching Freddy swing. 

How he could swing so effortlessly and still develop back problems is beyond my understanding...

It is amazing that he can make it look so easy and still pumped them out there around 300 yards.  It may look effortless, but there's still a lot of torque going on there!

Also an update:  I warm up with the planemate in the morning while my reports are running for the day, Just did a few free swings and I still feel like the planemate is pulling me into positions... so cool and strange at the same time.

• Like 5

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Ah yes makes sense!

some folks are just prone to issues. Like me family history says I’ll have knee problems down the road. Almost a guarantee. Wonder if his family had a history of it. 

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, blyth63 said:

Anyone else had the tightening knob crack? Mines only lasted 10 days!

no issues here.  Still a new user as well, but not issues to report.

• Like 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

1 hour ago, blyth63 said:

Still good here. I try not to overtighten and typically using the smaller part of the shaft tube so I dont overtighten.

• Like 1

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

3 hours ago, blyth63 said:

Nope, I hand tighten it pretty darn snug, but haven't had a problem.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 6:06 AM, blyth63 said:

20210428_193330.jpg

yes, mine broke off about 6 weeks in.  I contacted them and sent a photo and they sent a replacement.  The replacement has been fine so far.

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.5* Tensei Stiff

Woods:  Orlimar Tri-metal 13* and 17* original stiff flex shafts (also have the SF-302 iron set 2-SW)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey 50*, Harry Taylor 56* and 60*

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (original)

• 4 weeks later...

Is the Planemate beginning to run it's course? This had a lot of discussion here and around the interwebs and a lot of discussion on social media for about 18 months. I noticed there doesn't seem to be much buzz around this online anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

It looks like a good day to play golf!

8 minutes ago, TaketheCannoli said:

Is the Planemate beginning to run it's course? This had a lot of discussion here and around the interwebs and a lot of discussion on social media for about 18 months. I noticed there doesn't seem to be much buzz around this online anymore. 

I personally think it’s a perfect addition to range sessions and an easy day to day backyard swing trainer. I’m using it about 4x per week. It has not completely transformed my swing but it’s helping me practice much better habits 

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, TaketheCannoli said:

I don’t know about running it’s course, I think it’s just not “new” anymore and let’s face it, if you want to sell a training aid right now the market is all about speed training.

For me, like @Lacassem, I’m getting plenty of use out of mine and am already hatching plans to incorporate the as yet untouched red band into my next offseason...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I don’t know about running it’s course, I think it’s just not “new” anymore and let’s face it, if you want to sell a training aid right now the market is all about speed training.

For me, like @Lacassem, I’m getting plenty of use out of mine and am already hatching plans to incorporate the as yet untouched red band into my next offseason...

Yea I haven’t touched red yet either. Have a pretty good routine day to day and a little different when I hit the range (1-2x) per week

well said “it’s not new” anymore so it loses that hype and everything is Bryson right now so swing mechanics get lost in the shuffle

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

12 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Yea I haven’t touched red yet either. Have a pretty good routine day to day and a little different when I hit the range (1-2x) per week

Sounds like you're glad you bought...good to hear.

You're actually hitting balls on the range with it then?  I only ever hit wiffles in the basement with it; my daily routine now is to rip through protocols 15 to 20 reps of protocols 1 and 2, and then 30 of 5...really trying to burn in the shallowing effect.  I can't say I do it every day, but most.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Sounds like you're glad you bought...good to hear.

You're actually hitting balls on the range with it then?  I only ever hit wiffles in the basement with it; my daily routine now is to rip through protocols 15 to 20 reps of protocols 1 and 2, and then 30 of 5...really trying to burn in the shallowing effect.  I can't say I do it every day, but most.

Yes I am actually doing "full" swings not really full but I try to atleast get the full motion of what I would do on course. I tend to have a couple cross overs on the finish but it really helps me with takeaway and transition. I am still flicking a little at impact but for the short few months I have been using it I am noticing improvements which is positive.

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Longtime reader, first time poster.  This has been a great thread!

I received a PM last week and have been diligent with it due to bad weather.  I’m up to protocol 5, and have been compounding the drills at home with foam balls (e.g., Sunday: protocol 1; Monday: protocols 1 and 2...this morning: protocols 1-5). 

I was invited to play today last second.  I didn’t have time to hit the range, and haven’t hit a real ball in weeks.  As you can imagine, the first few holes were horrific - pulls, shanks, and way too many swing thoughts.  Toward the end of the round, I stopped trying to replicate the PM movements and just relaxed, with better results.  Overall, my wedge play from 100 in was surprisingly great and I was hitting my irons 15-20 yards longer than usual.  Driver and long irons were bad.

After dinner, I went to the range to work things out.  Oddly, something clicked and I was striking all of my irons as well as I have in years - very flush and with the same 15-20 yard distance gain (presumably due to better rotation and contact).

With the start of warm weather upon us, do you guys have any suggestions as to how should I approach my PM usage?  On one hand, I’m worried about this inconsistency lasting weeks/months as I continue to drill away with 2 to 4 protocols per day.  On the other hand, my old swing was very inconsistent - flashes of brilliance mixed with mediocrity (I was about a ~10 hdcp last year thanks to a good short game but bad beyond ~150 yards).  Basically, is the PM best left for the offseason or can it be used effectively and concurrently in-season?  Thanks in advance! 

• Like 2