Our Sponsors

Wanted to give a quick update on my progress

The Planemate has become part of every warm up routine.  Whether I'm just out at the range for the day, or getting ready for a round.  I've modified the warm up protocol just a bit from what is suggested to fit me a bit more.  The protocol has you doing 5 shots with the Planemate, followed by 5 shots without.  I've been hitting a minimum of 5 with the Planemate, but don't switch to swinging without it until feel my swing and rhythm feel right.

I've also started venturing out more into the "Advanced Protocols."  The most recent one has been greenside bunkers.  It has you using the short band, but really focusing on standing the shaft up quickly in the backswing.  I was able to find a good practice bunker and hit some of the best shots I've ever hit out of it.  Normally, I'll get lucky and get a few good ones, but this was repeatable!  

Hands down, this is the best training aid I've ever used!

• Like 5

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I've got a little reputation around here for hacking together homemade versions of golf gear. I wanted to do a Plane Mate, I really did. But I couldn't come up with a way to do so that would have e

Chris - this is to you and anyone reading.  If everyone simply succumbed to the Planmate, they could create a predictable ball flight with enough precision. Function means it works.  Positiv

Ok. Now that I have spent some time with the planemate. Here are my thoughts. As a training aid junkie....this is without a doubt the most helpful training aid ever invented. My inside takeaway is com

Posted Images

I just did my first session of the day 5 protocol, resist, relax, and rotate. This is the meat and potatoes of what the Planemate is all about. You keep the resistance in the band going to halfway and continue to hold the resistance through until you reach the top of the swing. You then relax the hands which are then shallowed by the band. Then you rotate the body through the shot. 

This is the one routine I'm going to spend a lot of time with in order to get the feeling down. I know this is touted as a seven day program, but as someone who works in auto manufacturing, I understand the value of repetition when learning something new. I want this to become second nature and not something I have to think about when swinging a club. 

I tried hitting some balls and initially found myself letting my arms overtake my body, leading to some pretty bad results. Once I started trying to collect the ball with the club, it started getting better. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can continue to go outside and practice or I'm going to have to move things around on the carport to make room to swing. 

• Like 4

Not having insight into the rest of the protocols beyond the 7-days, what's everyone's assessment of the utility of Planemate as an indoor offseason training aid?

I'm stationed in Omaha, which means winter and cold temperatures...my ceiling is tall enough in the basement to hit wiffle/practice balls with a short iron, I just (obviously) wouldn't have any ball flight to actually observe. In your opinion does Planemate have value for an offseason of basement training?

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

11 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Not having insight into the rest of the protocols beyond the 7-days, what's everyone's assessment of the utility of Planemate as an indoor offseason training aid?

I'm stationed in Omaha, which means winter and cold temperatures...my ceiling is tall enough in the basement to hit wiffle/practice balls with a short iron, I just (obviously) wouldn't have any ball flight to actually observe. In your opinion does Planemate have value for an offseason of basement training?

A lot of the focus is on body movement, so it can be done indoors.  I did all 7 protocols in my own house while I was working through them.  That being said, I feel it has always been beneficial to check things by hitting actual balls.  At least into a simulator so you can get some idea of the ball flight.  I thought I was working through everything perfectly, but when I went to the range for the first time, I had a pretty good slice.  I was able to work back through the protocols to figure it out, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without seeing some sort of ball flight.

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

• 2 weeks later...

New member here.  But I have been rocking the Planemate for the past month.  Not as fastidiously as Goalie Mike!  But I've been using it on the range before my rounds just for 20 practice swings and about 10 balls hit with the Planemate.  Mostly the Day 5 protocol of "stress, stress, relax" is what I go through.  Helps bring on the ghost arms but really to get the feel of rotating my hips to a finish position.  Getting that feel helps put my swing into shape for the round.

I'm not sure I'm a 17 handicap, but that's what the Grint tells me I have.  Anyway, I typically shoot low 90s from regular men's tee or the tips.  Hit drives fairly straight, averaging 265 yds.  Since using the Planemate I've scored about 4 rounds in the 80s, as low as 82.  My swing has improved for sure, but I've also improved dramatically with my short irons.  To which I also owe a lot to Martin Chuck himself.   His youtube videos work for me.  Also my new Mizzies really let me aim at the pin from 170 yds and closer.

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.5* Tensei Stiff

Woods:  Orlimar Tri-metal 13* and 17* original stiff flex shafts (also have the SF-302 iron set 2-SW)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey 50*, Harry Taylor 56* and 60*

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (original)

So I pulled the trigger and got a Planemate, and have now completed the 7-day protocol.  However, I had a very interesting first round since using it.  I hit balls on the range and I was striping it...I was convinced I was in line for a great round.  I then went out and shot the worst round of the season.  My putter was largely to blame for that, but my ball-striking was pretty awful.

Those of you with experience with the Planemate:  have you found it beneficial to try and replicate the feels of the Planemate while you're playing, or trust that the Planemate effect is slowly impactin your swing and just play?

I know in a way this is a stupid question; for most trying to play "golf-swing" is a bad idea.  I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else struggled the first time out...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I pulled the trigger and got a Planemate, and have now completed the 7-day protocol.  However, I had a very interesting first round since using it.  I hit balls on the range and I was striping it...I was convinced I was in line for a great round.  I then went out and shot the worst round of the season.  My putter was largely to blame for that, but my ball-striking was pretty awful.

Those of you with experience with the Planemate:  have you found it beneficial to try and replicate the feels of the Planemate while you're playing, or trust that the Planemate effect is slowly impactin your swing and just play?

I know in a way this is a stupid question; for most trying to play "golf-swing" is a bad idea.  I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else struggled the first time out...?

Has taken me a couple months but has really helped by pitching game and shorter irons for sure.. My driver miss is now a hook which is better than my slice since i can play to the right edge of the fairway and be mostly fine.  i have lost distance on my mid and longer clubs from using this and fixing other swing faults. Hopefully i can gain a little of that back and gain consistency. The biggest thing i have found is, i need to stop trying to guide my swing and trust my motions instead. I think that is where the planemate will shine in terms of building muscle memory. This offseason will be huge since i plan to do the red band protocol in hopes to have all that muscle memory. Hope that helped.

My question to others, has anyone used this with the speedtrap 2.0 to just enforce swing plane and club head path? they seem like they may pair well together

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji: XLR8 Draw Setup

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges  54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up  **Testing :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid**

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:or KSigs or :taylormade-small: TP5 pix 2.0

:Arccos:

7 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I can comment and say after my initial enthusiasm, I've not really touched it for the past six weeks. I'm definitely going to work with it in the off-season, however.

I played really good golf after getting the PlaneMate, but I think a lot of my struggles for the past few weeks were the result of playing golf swing after getting it. I was finding myself too obsessed with certain pieces of the swing instead of just being athletic and letting it rip.

So much of my downswing success hinges on things like grip and alignment so those things can be worked on without the PM.

I do think my chipping got immediately better, however, and it's possibly worth it just for that. I found it really helped me to properly rotate through the chip using my entire body. I otherwise had a habit of doing everything with my arms only and stabbing at the ball, which led to all sorts of poor strikes while chipping.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

30 minutes ago, edingc said:

So I can comment and say after my initial enthusiasm, I've not really touched it for the past six weeks. I'm definitely going to work with it in the off-season, however.

I played really good golf after getting the PlaneMate, but I think a lot of my struggles for the past few weeks were the result of playing golf swing after getting it. I was finding myself too obsessed with certain pieces of the swing instead of just being athletic and letting it rip.

So much of my downswing success hinges on things like grip and alignment so those things can be worked on without the PM.

I do think my chipping got immediately better, however, and it's possibly worth it just for that. I found it really helped me to properly rotate through the chip using my entire body. I otherwise had a habit of doing everything with my arms only and stabbing at the ball, which led to all sorts of poor strikes while chipping.

Not specific to the Planemate, but I have the same issue of focusing too much on "golf swing" when I watch too many videos and try to implement what I see. I am in the same boat regarding setup. If my grip, alignment, and other elements are proper, then usually good things happen. But I find my setup starts to get faulty and sloppy at times.

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

58 minutes ago, edingc said:

Thanks, you’re kind of confirming what I suspected.  I am going to crank through the initial 7-day protocol again this week to really bake it in, but when I play Friday and Sunday just try to play golf and hope some fundamental improvement comes through.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks, you’re kind of confirming what I suspected.  I am going to crank through the initial 7-day protocol again this week to really bake it in, but when I play Friday and Sunday just try to play golf and hope some fundamental improvement comes through.

Thanks again.

One of my best rounds of the year was a day or two after I spent about an hour just rehearsing days 1-3 in my basement hitting wiffles into some cushions. It was only after I tried to move further along in the days that I really struggled.

Due to COVID I wasn't able to work with full swings on the range, I do think that would have helped. I just don't have a good space at home to do that.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

42 minutes ago, edingc said:

One of my best rounds of the year was a day or two after I spent about an hour just rehearsing days 1-3 in my basement hitting wiffles into some cushions. It was only after I tried to move further along in the days that I really struggled.

Due to COVID I wasn't able to work with full swings on the range, I do think that would have helped. I just don't have a good space at home to do that.

You’re describing my entire practice routine.  Up until my Planemate purchase it’s almost always dry GOLFTEC drills in the basement.  Now I’m doing that, plus Planemate protocols with wiffle balls in the basement.  (And SuperSpeed MWF morning but who’s counting...)

I get to the range when I can, but full-time job, three little kids...

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks again.

I think the 5th day (resist, resist, relax) is the most important lesson to run through for warm ups before a round.  That "relax" move is the key for my swing, and I'm figuring it out on the course.  When the "relax" move is made, that's when I'm planting both feet for my rotation and  getting my lead wrist ready to roll into what I call the "Snap Impact" position so that my clubface will be square.  And actually my first practice hit on the range without the planemate usually results in a yank/hook.  But now my body is integrating that muscle memory better, and my game has been improving, but it hasn't been a linear progression for me - just that the general trend is that my scores are getting lower (I've been using the planemate for almost 2 months now).  My best rounds used to be  93-96, but now I have 8 rounds in the 80s over the past two weeks.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.5* Tensei Stiff

Woods:  Orlimar Tri-metal 13* and 17* original stiff flex shafts (also have the SF-302 iron set 2-SW)

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey 50*, Harry Taylor 56* and 60*

Putter: Bettinardi BB1 (original)

I'm always down for interesting new contraptions that will help my golf game.  Thanks for the info. 

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

1 hour ago, Markelly82 said:

I'm always down for interesting new contraptions that will help my golf game.  Thanks for the info. 

Well despite my concerns, I am confident it's going to help me improve.  I really was striping it on the range, and my usual pull was gone.  I just need to get out of my own head once I get to the first tee...

I'll continue to post feedback as I use it.  @edingcis probably taking the smarter approach and waiting until the offseason to go all in on it.  In my case, not many would accuse me of being smart...  🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge. Planemate came in today. Definitely need to watch the set up video a little closer before going after day 1 again. Holy ghost hands though that feeling is crazy. Not sure how folks say they do it prior to a round as a warmup I felt silly trying to swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

New here.  Actually found this thread while searching for Planemate Reviews.  I ordered mine yesterday and just got notified that I should have it on Friday.  Now I need to get a net and mat ordered so I can hit some balls in my garage.  The plan is that over the winter months in North Dakota I will work heavily with this Planemate.  Looking to get a Mevo+ and have a simulator in my garage that I can take down and move around, move it outside in the summer, etc.  

Thank you everyone that has taken the time to review this product.  I am looking forward to getting started.

• Like 3