Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Milled vs Insert

archieadams

I've used solid, unmilled heads before and am currently gaming an insert, but I've got a demo putter on the way that is a milled head. What are some of the biggest differences and/or adjustments going from the insert to a milled head?

Right Handed

Driver: Cobra Amp (circa ~2013)  8.5* X-Stiff

19* Hybrid: Cobra King F7 Stiff

Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2 714 X-Stiff

52* Wedge: Vokey SM6

56* Wedge: TaylorMade Tour Preferred

60* Wedge: Vokey SM6

Putter: Nike Method MC-3i Blade

Ball: Vice Pro+

Hard to answer without knowing the insert and milling patterns. Feel is basically sound feedback from impact. You can vary the “feel” of a non insert putter by changing face thickness or milling pattern. Inserts can be made if different materials. You could experience no difference to significant different. Basically lots of variable to consider.

In general an insert “feels”softer because the sound is more muted and ball doesn’t travel as far due to less energy transfer to the ball

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

Hard to answer without knowing the insert and milling patterns. Feel is basically sound feedback from impact. You can vary the “feel” of a non insert putter by changing face thickness or milling pattern. Inserts can be made if different materials. You could experience no difference to significant different. Basically lots of variable to consider.

In general an insert “feels”softer because the sound is more muted and ball doesn’t travel as far due to less energy transfer to the ball

Thanks for the reply, sounds like its just a test it and see type deal. The Nike MC-3i I've got now says it has a polymer aluminum insert and does feel very spongy when it hits the ball. I'll be interested to see how the milled putter does comparatively.

Right Handed

Like cnosil said, it will depend on how the milling is done and what kind of insert we are talking about. It sound like yours may be giving you a softer feel than you like. I currently play a Bettinardi Queen B milling that gives the putter a harder feel and seems to make it easier for me to get the ball to the hole. For some reason I seem to struggle with leaving everything short with soft inserts. Bettinardi makes other millings that feel softer though. It all depends on the model. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

... I think insert putters are just much better on most muni's. The ball sits in an ever so slight depression and an insert with roll technology gets the ball rolling faster and truer. I would never go back to a non insert putter. That said, Pro's or those at many CC's playing immaculate greens that are smooth and hard don't need roll technology and as others have said depending on the milling depth, a milled face creates a specific feel you can fine tune to your preference. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Ok so after my first round with the demo milled putter, I could definitely feel the difference. It was heavier which I think also helped with my stroke. Overall the milled putter just felt like a solid strike on the ball almost like a driver instead of the spongy feel from the insert. I didn't have any problem with feeling like the ball was jumping off the face either. There were a couple balls I hit off the toe a little that would have jumped way right off the insert that stayed much closer to my line with the milled putter, and one even trickled in the side of the hole.

All that to say I really liked the milled putter and will get another couple rounds in with it over then next two weeks before I have to send it back or potentially buy it outright.

Right Handed

I played 3 different insert putters and none roll like my Wilson 8802.  This putter has to be one of the most under rated milled offerings out there. Not pillow soft or too clicky….right in the middle which gives perfect feedback.  ill never roll an insert putter again. I owned pings and camerons and milled is where its at

Golf is cool

On 7/12/2019 at 1:00 PM, archieadams said:

I've used solid, unmilled heads before and am currently gaming an insert, but I've got a demo putter on the way that is a milled head. What are some of the biggest differences and/or adjustments going from the insert to a milled head?

My previous putter was an Odyssey White Hot Pro and every time I tried out a milled putter in the pro shop (from any company), I always thought they felt and sounded much harsher. It wasn't until I tried the SC Futura putters that I thought there was something comparable to what I had. I assume it's because the face and sole are aluminum instead of some kind of steel. Even still, I tried some of the newer SC Select putters and thought they felt even softer. It really is just dependent on what combination of materials and milling patterns are used as well as the mass properties of the putter.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...
Like cnosil said, it will depend on how the milling is done and what kind of insert we are talking about. It sound like yours may be giving you a softer feel than you like. I currently play a Bettinardi Queen B milling that gives the putter a harder feel and seems to make it easier for me to get the ball to the hole. For some reason I seem to struggle with leaving everything short with soft inserts. Bettinardi makes other millings that feel softer though. It all depends on the model. 

Leaving everything short, yep. I had an Odyssey tank rossie that was like that. Just a mushy face. It was fine on short putts but the farther i got from the hole the shorter it left them. I like my chipping feel and putting feel to be similar, so it just didn’t work for me. I could use an insert if it were a little bit firmer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

It's like every other golf club... what works for me will be different than what works for you.  Especially true for the putter which is purely a feel club IMO.  

I was firmly in the camp of non-insert milled putters, but I was also not a very good putter.  When I tried the Ping Sigma G, I loved the way the ball came off the face, and I am now a better putter.  Could I go back to milled?  Certainly, and I might putt just as well if I give it enough time to get used to the different feel, but I'm happy now and don't see me changing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

Loads of pro's use inserts!

Loads of pro's use milled!

It's def a feel thing and regardless of any course you play, Muni or Augusta a day after the Masters, its about confidence in getting a repeatable feel and response from your putter head.

Personally I like milled only, never found an insert that worked for me repeatedly and with longevity.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, Kenny B said:

I was firmly in the camp of non-insert milled putters, but I was also not a very good putter.  When I tried the Ping Sigma G, I loved the way the ball came off the face, and I am now a better putter.  Could I go back to milled?  Certainly, and I might putt just as well if I give it enough time to get used to the different feel, but I'm happy now and don't see me changing.

One of the guys I play with here in Yuma uses one of those.  On an early season hardly anyone on the course round we tried each others putter on every hole; each making putts from both ball positions.  I recall his felt fine as compared to my B61 but just had a deaden sound.  I've never had a putter fitting.  While I'm a firm believer in iron and driver/woods fittings, not sure about putter fittings 🤔.  I just pulled this graph up from PING and see that the B61 and Sigma G share similar characteristics... except that most eBay ads for the B61 list it as "vintage" 🤣.

PING_SigmaG_Comparisonchart.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

One of the guys I play with here in Yuma uses one of those.  On an early season hardly anyone on the course round we tried each others putter on every hole; each making putts from both ball positions.  I recall his felt fine as compared to my B61 but just had a deaden sound.  I've never had a putter fitting.  While I'm a firm believer in iron and driver/woods fittings, not sure about putter fittings 🤔.  I just pulled this graph up from PING and see that the B61 and Sigma G share similar characteristics... except that most eBay ads for the B61 list it as "vintage" 🤣.

PING_SigmaG_Comparisonchart.jpg

I recommend a putter fitting.  I had mine at Ping HQ when I was on my winter trip to someplace warm.  When I used the Sigma G Doon, I made everything.  It was a no brainer.  They don't sell equipment at Ping, but give you the specs and then you order wherever you want.  I liked the Doon because of the heavier head.  Got a shorter counter-balanced shaft and 71º lie angle.  I made everything when I tried it, and it wasn't like the honeymoon I get with drivers.  I still love it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I recommend a putter fitting.  I had mine at Ping HQ when I was on my winter trip to someplace warm.  When I used the Sigma G Doon, I made everything.  It was a no brainer.  They don't sell equipment at Ping, but give you the specs and then you order wherever you want.  I liked the Doon because of the heavier head.  Got a shorter counter-balanced shaft and 71º lie angle.  I made everything when I tried it, and it wasn't like the honeymoon I get with drivers.  I still love it.

Do you recall the cost?  Having the fitting at PING HQ would be fun.

Edit: Just spoke with PING and they do all fittings for free, by PING staff, and, as luck would have it, at the Granite Falls Course in Sun City Grand (where we're currently shopping for our next home) 👍.  Apparently they no longer do fittings at HQ's - at least for us mere mortals.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

13 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Do you recall the cost?  Having the fitting at PING HQ would be fun.

Edit: Just spoke with PING and they do all fittings for free, by PING staff, and, as luck would have it, at the Granite Falls Course in Sun City Grand (where we're currently shopping for our next home) 👍.  Apparently they no longer do fittings at HQ's - at least for us mere mortals.

Yes it was free.  I tried irons; the i200 and Ping G were just out, but they weren't any better than what I had at the time... i20.  But the putter fitting was interesting with the Ping cradle on the putter and iPhone app.  It told me a lot about my stroke.  It took some getting used to because I had to hit 5 putts (I think) from ~7 feet(?) without making a practice stroke.  I always make 3 practice strokes before a putt.  When I tried my Sigma G Doon, I made all 5 putts!! Sold!  I had to special order it from a dealer because it was shorter than standard, 71º lie angle, and 4º loft.

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest difference for me between milled and insert putters is distance control.  Although I won't say ALL insert putters are the same, I haven't had as good of distance control as I have with the Scotty Newport I have.  I'd also say that I'm better with the blade style versus Mallet.

When I was fit last spring my best two options were adjusting the scotty (loft/lie and counterweight) or getting the Ping (Sigma 2, which was an insert I did like).  It was a must more cost effective move to modify the scotty so that's what I did.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I just switched from a milled face to the Odyssey Stroke Lab with the White Hot Micro hinge insert and I really love the ability to feel the miss-hits when I am not striking it true and centered

1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png M5 9 deg [Project X Evenflow Black 65g] // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png SIM Max 3w 15 deg [Fujikura Ventus Blue 5-R] // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png JPX 919 5i-PW // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png ATV Grind Wedges 52-60 [KBS Tour Steel] // 1455271488_Odysseylogo.jpg.b9b3d31d23a9b217779870779776c15d.jpg Stroke Lab 7 // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png TP5 // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png BRD-4 [Cart-Red-Gray] // adidas_logo_21.png.8b407cf238a5268554c70f59912c11a7.png CodeChaos [White-Red]

1448174426_SuperSpeedLogo2.png.17b2bb92c3fb344ab94e0e85f7419d12.png SuperSpeed 2020 Testing Group

Initial Driver Swing Speed: 95 mph

20 minutes ago, J_L_35 said:

I just switched from a milled face to the Odyssey Stroke Lab with the White Hot Micro hinge insert and I really love the ability to feel the miss-hits when I am not striking it true and centered

Strange, Its the opposite for me! I can feel my strike location much better on my milled blade putter more than I could on my old White Hot Rossie.  I've only rolled a Stroke Lab putter once or twice so not sure if there's more feel on those.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8