Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

Precision Pro has folowed up it's NX7 rangefinder a Most Wanteed Wnner for Value with the NX9 HD.  Offering all the same technology from the previous version but enhanced HD optics take this price friendly range finder to a new level where it competes with some of the biger name brands. 

nx9hd_12x8.jpgPrecisionn Pro has provided the following testers all with the NX9 HD to test out on the range, on the course and any other interesting place they may decide to put it to work.

Follow along as they will be sharing their thoughts via a Stage 1 post in the next couple of days, then participating in an ongoing dialouge about their experiences, and wrapping up with a comprehensive Stage 2 post. 

Testing the NX9 HD are the following members.

jbmullin                                            Stage 1                Stage 2

jonmusc08                                      Stage 1                Stage 2

FromRighttoLeft                             Stage 1                Stage 2

Perserveringgolfer                         Stage 1                Stage 2

Russtopherb                                   Stage 1                Stage 2

B.Boston                                         Stage 1                Stage 2

poprocksncoke                             Stage 1                 Stage 2

GolfSpy_MPR                                Combined Review

• Like 4

Stage 2 Placeholder

July 14, 2019 

(FYI I was away on a holiday so I have not received my rangefinder yet. I should have it this week I think and will complete stage 1 then.)

UPDATE! - The NX9 has arrived!

D8zJny5.jpg

5ac64SC.jpg

FCNkQT8.jpg

lQCkZJQ.jpg

My first unboxing video, I apologize for the camera. I was trying to do it one handed and although it was in landscape mode it was upside down and this is the best I could do! Next video will be better!

First off I want to thank MGS and Precision for the opportunity, I really apprecaite it. I love golf gear and new tech.  I’m from Eastern Canada, Cape Breton Island to be specific. I live in Calgary, Alberta now and have for some time. The first time I was really aware of golf was when I was nine and I watched Jack Nicklaus win the Masters in 1986. It was a rainy spring day and there was nothing on TV but it. I was captivated for that day.  I think I had goosebumps. A few years later I saw Ian Baker Finch win the British Open and I immediately thought of that little nine-hole course my school bus drove by every day and had that feeling of excitement I still get in my gut when I go golfing.

Nobody in my family played but I called up right then and asked if they were open yet. The owner gave me a confusing answer to me at the time. “The Flags aren’t in yet.” I had no clue what that meant and assumed he meant he was open. I went up the next day and despite them being closed he let me and my cousin’s play. I was the only one that kept playing after that day. 30 years later and I still love the game just as much. I’m a total addict. I got down to an eight index and leveled out at around a ten, up until two years ago.

I think I mostly love the game because it’s really man against himself. It’s the ultimate test of self control. If you think you’re good at hiding your bad side, golf will sort that out and show you what you are. It shows you the truth. You can cheat if you want but you'll know the truth, there's no way around it. Golf is like your big sister growing up. She'll find all your weak spots and expose them.

Anyway, a few years ago I was having major back issues but wanted to get my first round of the year in anyway. This is May 23rd, 2017. We get started on the back nine and on the twelfth hole I took a swing despite knowing my back was bad and heard a sickening “CRACK” and I dropped like a rock. I managed to get back to the parking lot and an Ambulance had to take me to the hospital from there. Found out I had disc issues, a compression fracture and osteoporosis. I got tested for everything under the sun as for a man my age (39 at the time), it’s rare to have osteo. Luckily (it often means bone cancer) for me it was just a genetic thing. With osteo, the disc issues and my stupidity it was a perfect storm haha!

Two years later and I’m back golfing again but learning left handed as it’s easier on my back. Just got a bone scan done and I’m increasing density due to exercise and medication. I’m currently a 34 index. My worst round is 138 and my low 104 from the wrong side of the ball. I don’t know if there could be anyone happier to be back golfing. I honestly didn’t know if it would ever be an option so the scores are secondary to that, however I’m a competitive s.o.b. so I want to get good again.

My goal this year is to break 90 although it’s been tough learning left handed so that is pretty ambitious. My putting is pretty good and my short game is coming nicely. I’m not hitting full shots solid at all, that is my biggest issue. I used to be a pretty long hitter so averaging 170 yards off the tee right now is a bit crappy to be honest. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate being out there, I do.

Here is my current swing:

I bought all used clubs (except for the Hogan wedge which is new) with graphite reg shafts as I assumed my club head speed wouldn’t get high enough to need stiff. We’ll see I guess. I din't get fit as I didn't know if I'd be able to even really play. Here is my setup:

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind LW

:ping-small: Ketch Mallet

I have a Garmin vivoactive smart watch that has a gps. I’m not thrilled with it to be honest, it's a pain in the butt to use and very basic. I love golf gear and have had range finders in the past as well. I think both GPS and range finders have their uses. My old rangefinder was slow so I didn’t like it. I have Game Golf too but it doesn’t work that well in my opinion. Love the stats though.

I hope having this range finder will make it easier for me to judge how far I'm hitting my clubs and will help me over-club instead of under-club which is what I tend to do. I also really need it for the range as the targets aren't marked when I go usually. Or they are but not to the stall. 

Again, I'll update the post when I get my new NX9! 

Edit: Some pics from the trip including the best breakfast sandwich I've ever had. 

Links 1.jpg

links 3.jpg

links 5.jpg

July 14 stokes gained.png

• Like 5

About me as a golfer

First of all thank you MGS and Precision Pro. I’ll do my best to keep up the standard of honest testing.

Secondly, I’m old……there….I’ve said it. I’m starting my sixth decade on this planet and I’ve chased the small white ball around it for five of them, and it still eludes me.

A long long time ago… on a planet we all live on, I was a teen……my uncle took my brother out to try golf, I said I’d tag along as it was summer, school was out and I was bored. He hated the game, I was hooked. The chance to smash a ball as hard as I could in any direction was too good an opportunity to pass up as my body was bursting with energy (those were the days) 😊

I played the local muni as much as I could over that hot summer – I mention it was hot as Scottish summers are usually mild and damp – the 9 hole muni had it’s usual type of players, it ranged from kids who hit the ball and ran after it, ladies and old guys with all the gear and a scattering of ‘gangs’ who would either nick your ball or ask to see your driver then walk away with it calmly surrounded by their ‘henchmen’. The smaller and less brave thugs would just sit near a tee and shout abuse that Richard Pryor would have blushed at. I say ‘gangs’ but they were kids my age but street smart. Needless to say I became adept at playing quickly and ‘ready to run’ golf.

giphy.gif

I gave the game up after that as I discovered girls, snooker/pool, alcohol and hanging out.

Started back again at 20, joined a club, handed in my three cards and got my first official handicap of 18. Hooked again I played and practiced in all conditions as I was going to be the best I could. I got down to a 5 in my first season and capped it by winning a comp with a sub par round and coming 6th in the club championship.

giphy.gif

Roll on a few years and the handicap hovered between 3 and 5 but I could also have a swing breakdown for weeks and couldn’t work out why. I’d never had a lesson and knew nothing about the technical side of the game. I had bought a set of Titleist blades off the shelf and adapted my swing to suit what I had – (decades later I looked at them in the garage to see they were regular lite shafts! Who needs fitted 😉) – So I started getting lessons and finding out about shafts, kick points, swing weights, launch angle blah blah and my game got consistently worse as I chased my swing issues through club tweaking and changing.

giphy.gif

I call this period of the last 20 years my ‘talking golf era’. I could talk knowledgably about the tech and my head was full of the latest swing thoughts, top pro’s books and youtube golf gurus that guaranteed sure fire ways to fix my game and play like the pro’s. When I knew nothing I practiced until I found a way it worked. Now that I was armed with an encyclopedic knowledge I tried everything, usually at the same time. It’s a bit like going to the gym and straddling multiple machines while holding weights instead of working on my arms, then quads, then legs etc

giphy.gif

Jump forward to present day and my love/hate relationship of the game is still as strong as it always was, but now just a tad more realistic. I have succumbed to the lure of new clubs as my very old Mizuno T zoid pro’s weren’t forgiving enough and the forgiveness promised by todays OEM’s was surely the only reason my 85 could have been 75, in my head! So I tried many fittings with many major names, settling on Titleist 718 AP2’s trying to capture my Titleist youth, they didn’t suit, so I traded and bought Mizuno MP18 SC’s with Modus 3 tour 105 in ‘S’. Happy with them for looks, feel and sound and will probably last me a long time. Driver was a Titleist 910 D3 9.5, just bought a Cobra F9 and getting used to higher loft and longer shaft. I have an  old Callaway Steelhead 4+ wood that is as precious to me as Stensons 3 wood. I use the Sky Caddie watch as I only (think I) need F/M/B yardages as I can see any hazards ahead. I still have a decent SS of 89mph with a 6 iron and around 100-102mph with driver, I just have to keep the body fit now as distance is definitely shrinking.

giphy.gif

I’m still competitive and I still envisage a sub par round when standing on the first tee, 4 hrs later I sign for ‘another’ 80-85 while muttering “there’s always next time”. I go home and self analyse from memory but it usually gets foggy, not because of age (I think that’s the reason but can’t remember lol), but playing the same course a lot it’s easy to mix up the poor drive on 4 with the great drive on 4 I played last week. I’ve never been that interested in golf gadgets that take lots of prep and even more attention on the course. Tried a laser once many many years ago and it was so difficult to see through and lock onto anything I gave up after 5 minutes. I do like tech though, that’s why I have the Skycaddie watch with F/M/B yardages, quick check and pull the right club. Stats I do like, my club puts up basic stats in your profile of rounds completed and it shows me weak scoring holes but that’s it. The only ‘issue’ with F/M/B yardages is it leaves lots of room for guessing i.e Pin looks like it’s nearer the back, middle is 150yds so it ‘must’ be ‘about’ 160yds, this leaves doubt in my head and indecision, but when you play a course at St Andrews the greens are enormous and it could easily be 2 clubs difference from middle to back.

This is where a laser trumps GPS. Taking doubt and indecision out and meaning I can swing smoothly and confidently at an exact yardage, rather than jumping on a 9 iron or holding back on a 7.

First Impressions

Quality looking box, nice graphics and colour plus it feels solid. Almost like it houses a prestige watch or expensive perfume.

1468315248_NX9box.thumb.jpg.f4b2c44dc2c2f3f9b8f880a52d91b59e.jpg

1496990991_nx9topbox.thumb.jpg.683c0989cd988aa715c05063b2d8127c.jpg

Well protected inside with instructions (not needed really but clear and simple if you did) and the hard case protector for on course carrying.

979250979_nx9caseinbox.thumb.jpg.67aa59e954404714469fdbbec2c35a8d.jpg

1965542668_nx9caseonbox.thumb.jpg.74cbdeb8491f8dd75ae7819a472e4aed.jpg

The laser itself is smaller than I envisaged, but that’s a good thing, fits easily in my average man size hands with fingers naturally placed on the two buttons on top. One to ‘fire’ and one for mode. Eye piece is a soft rubber and easy, but firm, turning for focus, I say firm as that stops it turning by accident in the case and going out of focus. Soft rubber is essential for us glasses wearers as we have to bash it into the glasses lens frequently.

2120661119_nx9openbox.thumb.jpg.f680833911457df5d22b7124cc392473.jpg

1871503963_nx9itself.thumb.jpg.bb93dde501e0eb99f77bbc3d30e3ea87.jpg

1080245553_nx9magnetside.thumb.jpg.d1dcfa1c2a6a1d499a91e56222041db9.jpg

2120661119_nx9openbox.thumb.jpg.f680833911457df5d22b7124cc392473.jpg

I read the enclosed instruction manual from cover to cover first, that’s not my usual style or even very manly as us men don’t need instruction literature, right men? But on this occasion and to ensure my MGS test was done properly and efficiently I thought it prudent to learn as much as I could before jumping in. It all reads easily, makes sense and easy to follow.

First use

Straight out the box I was lasering anything in the garden- Wow! My shed is 22yds from the house and the trampoline is 19yds….that’s good to know 😉

First competitive round and I was peppering the pin, lasered the flag and knowing it was ‘X’ yards I hit an easy iron that landed pin high which actually caused me some anxiety as I’m used to coming up short, putting was poor so it was easy 2 putt pars. Fellow competitors told me afterwards they thought I was going to smash it today! I didn’t as I got defensive and made easy bogies but it was a joy knowing, and not guessing, a yardage.

Locking on took some time, had to fire a few times as I was lasering the tree or mound behind the hole, so to be sure I had to fire a good 4 or 5 times for safety. This will get better as I get used to it. A ‘welcoming’ vibration meant I hit what I aimed at.

I had the laser and case dangling on my push trolley which made it easy for access using the elasticated loop to open and close. One issue is the caribiner that holds it to the trolley. The spring coupling arm broke after 2 rounds, fortunately I noticed in my bag and it didn’t happen on the course. I DM’d a message via twitter to precision golf (without saying I was an MGS Tester) and they had a new caribiner in the post within hours- Excellent customer service. I might have to invest in getting a stronger one though, just in case.

One other very slight niggle is the ‘MODE’ button is right beside the ‘fire’ button and I found I’d switched from yds to meters without knowing, I only noticed when I lasered the 150yd marker at our range and it said 144!

Apart from that first impressions are very positive.

Fire any questions here to me or the other testers and we’ll answer as best we can.

Stage 2 will, or could be, more revealing with numerous rounds and practice under our belts.

Please note, the personal info at the beginning I’ve used from a test done last year but there’s a ton of new spies who wouldn’t have seen it.

nx9 front on.jpg

• Like 7

Stage One – July 16, 2019 

20190716_095933.jpg.886203329f116a2c7174418e813633bb.jpg

First off I would like to thank MGS for the opportunity to test the Precision Pro HD!  This will be my first experiment other than a skycaddie (I’ll get more into that later) with distance golf equipment.  I  hope to do MGS proud and will try to answer as many questions you readers may have that I can.

I began golfing at the age of 10 with my father and my grandpa at a 9 hole course in Delano, California.  I remember the hot summers there in 100+ degree temperature being dropped off in the morning and picked up at the end of the day when my parents got off work.  I have played golf ever since.  Played for my high school team, Tulare Union and then for Bakersfield College.  Soon after college I started working at Wasco Valley Rose Golf Course.  While working at the golf course in Wasco I was elected to PGA membership in 1998 and worked in the golf business until 2004.  Other courses I worked at included Stockdale Country Club, North Kern, Hanford Country Club and eventually became Head Professional at the course I grew up on in Delano.

20190716_101101.jpg.fe8489fb0f45bd673ca6a3216015e18c.jpg

These days I don’t get a chance to play often as I used to (although that used to be everyday so…) my family which includes a 4 year old keep pretty busy these days but I typically can still keep it in the 70’s.   If I were to list strengths of my game it would be putting and I am consistent with my driver off the tee.  When I used to play almost every day I considered myself to be a great chipper around the greens, these days I don't have the touch I used too, that’s the downfall of not enough practice time I guess.  If I did have to choose a weakness in my game it would be the gap between my 5 iron and 3 wood.  Have tried fairway woods and hybrids which I absolutely loath, just haven’t found the right one.  

Currently in my bag I have a set of the Ben Hogan Ft Worth Black irons 4-PW, Taylormade SLDR driver, Taylormade R11s 3 wood, Cleveland wedges and an Odyssey Sabertooth putter.  I still have a set of Callaway Apex irons that I use on occasion depending on how I’m feeling that day and if I want to do something different. 

20190716_100323.jpg.7f7c9814306fc271bf6ac2ae8f3a3a17.jpg

I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy, I have worked on computers and can usually figure devices out by playing around with them.  My wife just says I don’t like reading instructions, maybe she’s right?  That being said, I currently get my yardages but the old tried and true method of using yardage markers and stepping it off.  We all know how accurate that is, right?  There was this one time I had a skycaddie though.  I just found it a little too troublesome to have to download new courses when needed and too make sure it was always charged.  Unfortunately the skycaddie fell victim to I forgot it in the cart one day.  I never bought any yardage device after that, don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I didn’t want to I just didn’t.

20190716_100032.jpg.0bfc79144b46656b7030c1a4ef36d4e8.jpg

My first impressions of the Precision Pro NX9 HD was that it is a very bright color, hopefully that the sturdy case and the strong magnet that I can attach to the golf cart will keep me from forgetting in in the cart!  Who am I kidding, I know there will be times I have to run back to the cart and pray it’s still there.  The Precision Pro NX9 HD also came packaged very well and also in the bright green box.

20190716_095808.jpg.5d25de60117a5894f28664b00cf42a14.jpg

I am hoping with the use of the Precision Pro NX9 HD that I am able to become more accurate with my irons and not have to wonder if I got a bad yardage, didn’t hit it as well as I thought I did or just got a hold of that one!  There are a couple of holes out there I have questioned the yardage markers on and am anxious to see if it’s me or is it the markers?  Full well knowing it could still very well be me.  Stay tuned……..

• Like 3

Admin reviews are a bit different format than the ordinary Stage 1/Stage 2. Through the next several weeks, I'll keep editing this post here with my observations about the Precision Pro NX9 HD range finder.

I'll begin with my failed attempt at an unboxing video. I pulled the green box out of the shipping box and brought it downstairs to my putting green. My dog and youngest daughter also came down. Let's just say that it I never succeeded in getting the thing unboxed:

Later that afternoon, @Kirke and I sat down a filmed a more sedate unboxing, though with a couple of light moments courtesy of Kirke:

About me

I've chronicled the state of my game pretty extensively in this thread. I'm an entirely mediocre golfer, regularly playing most of my rounds around bogey golf. The strength of my game is my putting, which is better than average for my handicap. My iron play is also decent, in part thanks to the help provided by the PING G700 irons I was able to review last summer. My biggest weakness in my short wedge game, where I'm regularly throwing away multiple strokes per round.

image.png

My current distance measuring device is a budget laser range finder. It's a pretty utilitarian device. I've had no reason to distrust its yardages, but it is a challenge to lock on to a specific target. Holding it steady enough is very difficult, and I often take five or more measurements to get the flagstick rather than the trees behind the hole.

I have used the GPS features of a couple of different apps for getting yardages in the past, but I don't want to go back to those. I am very obviously a tech and data nerd, and I have a tendency to fiddle with these devices during a round, especially if they're not working exactly how they should. That kind of distraction has had adverse effects on my scoring. So a key feature I'll be looking for in the NX9 is its ability to get me a quick yardage without pulling my attention out of the round.

First Impressions

The other reviewers have done a great job taking pictures of the device itself. My opinion is that it is right in the Goldilocks zone for weight: enough that it doesn't feel like a cheap toy, but not too heavy for using.

Setup and use is pretty intuitive.

The case is well thought out. When not in play, the case can be zippered securely closed. During rounds, the elastic band easily holds the case closed while allowing quick access to the NX9.

Like others here, I've been very impressed with the magnet on the NX9. I've played one round thus far with a cart since getting my NX9, and the magnet held on the cart without any hint of failure. The only downside: I ended up forgetting it was stuck to the cart when I finished my round and left it behind. There's a happy ending to the story, though:

An Initial Concern

One early concern is the button setup. On top of the device, there are two buttons: the main button that powers the rangefinder on and triggers the laser, and the second button that switches the device mode and measurement unit (yards/meters). To change units, you hold the mode button for three seconds. That's just fine.

The concern I have is that a single tap of the mode button switches the NX9 from standard mode to slope mode. For me, this is not anything more than a trivial annoyance. It's very easy to accidentally press the mode button while grabbing the device.

My concern is for those who might use the NX9 is an official, sanctioned round of golf. Unless I'm mistaken, even in rounds that permit the use of rangefinders, the use of the slope calculation is not permitted. A scrupulous and honest golfer might easily (and inadvertently) put the rangefinder to his eye and find that he's got the NX9 in slope mode and suddenly be facing the prospect of a penalty.

• Like 8

Stage 1 is up

I’m doing a lot of testing next week , please message or tag any questions you have or tests you would like see.

• Like 4

Stage 1 is live! 

Tag me with any question or comments you guys would like me to address during the review process!  I'll be sure to make note on any tests you guys come up! 

• Like 2

Hey Spies, my Stage 1 is now up!!! Give it a read and be sure to let me know if you have any questions!!!

• Like 3

Stage 1 is up!

• Like 5