Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

Precision Pro has folowed up it's NX7 rangefinder a Most Wanteed Wnner for Value with the NX9 HD.  Offering all the same technology from the previous version but enhanced HD optics take this price friendly range finder to a new level where it competes with some of the biger name brands. 

nx9hd_12x8.jpgPrecisionn Pro has provided the following testers all with the NX9 HD to test out on the range, on the course and any other interesting place they may decide to put it to work.

Follow along as they will be sharing their thoughts via a Stage 1 post in the next couple of days, then participating in an ongoing dialouge about their experiences, and wrapping up with a comprehensive Stage 2 post. 

Testing the NX9 HD are the following members.

jbmullin                                            Stage 1                Stage 2

jonmusc08                                      Stage 1                Stage 2

FromRighttoLeft                             Stage 1                Stage 2

Perserveringgolfer                         Stage 1                Stage 2

Russtopherb                                   Stage 1                Stage 2

B.Boston                                         Stage 1                Stage 2

poprocksncoke                             Stage 1                 Stage 2

GolfSpy_MPR                                Combined Review

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• Precision Pro NX9 HD Range Finder Stage 2 – September 11/2019

Once again, a big thank you to Precision Pro and MGS for the great opportunity to be a product tester, it was a great experience and one I hope to be considered for again.

I have not used a range finder before, so I have no previous history to compare this one to. I have a very understanding wife who doesn’t care how much I golf because the season is about 5 decent months, so I was able to get 20 rounds of golf in over this testing period.

I stated that I had a couple goals in stage 1 that I felt like with the help of the NX9 would move me a little closer to where I want to be.  I wanted to improve my stat of leaving 54% of my approach shots short and eliminate that 9-iron bump and run shot that unfortunately I have become well versed at.  I also wanted to try and confirm or dial in my yardages on all my clubs, I have a rough idea but really needed to put them together to try and not be short and improve on the 32.4% GIR that comes along with the 54% short approach.  Some lofty goals for a range finder, but the NX9 is a great aid in the quest.  Small gains but gains non the less and I also have become more aware of club distances.

IMG_1085.thumb.PNG.ffa15561fd87a047c9bf91bdbdfb23d3.PNGpic9.thumb.png.71c316b5ccecc788592a76b3e917e52d.png

• LOOKS & FEEL   

Score      9 out of 10 

The NX9 is very compact, comfortably fits in the palm of my hand and is not heavy of awkward to hold and use. The biggest issue was the operator holding it steady and hitting the target.  The case is also small and fits well in the golf bag. I like the small hints of bright green but it’s not loud or attention seeking. Its feels durable like it could survive a drop or two, of a falling off a cart. Very operator friendly, two buttons power on and mode. Case has proved to be as durable as the finder, been tossed around my golf bag lots and it looks show room new.

SETUP

Score     15 out of 15

As stated, very easy to use, I had my 10-year-old daughter taking yardages for me and I would verify, and it was bang on.

Out of the box straight forward, point and shoot, very quick feedback once the operator was able to hit the intended target. That takes some practice.

Accuracy

Score   14 out of 15

The only issue I had with accuracy was not the device itself but the ability of the operator to hit the flag and hold it steady. I could see folks that don’t have steady hands or shakes having an issue with this.

I found myself always taking at least 2-3 measurements, just to be sure I was hitting the flag or pin, I did start to become more confident in it over the last few rounds.  

I had a couple goals and I was able to make at least a couple small improvements and I do feel the nx9 has helped me at least start on the path of being a better golfer.

Did have some issues using it with sunglasses on, would compare it to trying to take a picture through the finder with a cell phone.  Shots of the yardage markers on the driving range. Couple yards off what they are advertising.

IMG_0853.jpg.f6bf5755072526bdafbc1773fd3b44c5.jpg

On-Course

Score   37 out of 40

This is basically plug and play, open the box and point and shoot.  Its very small, lightweight and tucks easily into the scorecard pocket of my golf bag, as a walker its important to me to not make the bag heavier.  

Taking the few seconds to point and shoot for distance has helped me think more about what I want to do or accomplish with the pending golf shot. It has made me think more about club selection based on pin location or shot type based on what kind of obstruction I have near me or that might impact my shot path.  

I did not play much using the slope feature, I would go back and forth between the two and there was never really much difference between the two numbers, I was trying to just not leave I short.

Without experience with a range finder I really don’t have a base to compare to, but this device checks the boxes for me.

I did have it “lock up” on me during one round where it would read 17 yards for every distance. I basically put it away and tired it the next day and all as well and have never been able to replicate it.

Play it or Trade It

Score   18 out of 20

As stated before, I have no history with range finders other than when I was in the market for one, I did some research, but nothing compares to the real thing.  Its well-built, small, light and exceptionally easy to use, but can also be a challenge to hit the target on the first or second try.  I had not heard of this brand before so knowing how I shop; I likely would have paid extra for the name on the box like Bushnell.  It’s a keeper for me for now, but I have not stopped looking at other devices and can see myself eventually upgrading to something else.

Conclusion

Once again thank you to Precision Pro and My Golf spy for this amazing opportunity, what a deal, play more golf, keep a very good range finder for your troubles.  There is very little I could find that I did not like, I let my friends use it on there cart with the magnet and the thing never moved.

Insert broken record here, but as someone with no experience, no loyalty to any brand, or preconceived notions or feelings towards a device I can honestly say the NX9 is a great product.  Its point and shoot right out of the box, very quick response time and just feels like it is built to last.  Based on the prices of other devices, if you don’t own one now but have wanted to, I would strongly recommend the NX9.

FINAL SCORE       93 out of 100

pic7.jpg.0da69a9597cd185668819a631b7b49ca.jpg

IMG_1085.PNG

Edited by Jbmullin
duplicate picture

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Stage Two - Precision Pro NX9 HD – Official MGS Forum Review

Sept. 11, 2019

Intro

The Precision Pro NX9 is a rangefinder with optional slope (can be turned on and off). Testing this above and beyond normal operations is unnecessary. I wanted to treat this review the same way I treat my current rangefinder (2009 Bushnell V2 tour slope edition). Fortunately I was able to play approximately 6 rounds since receiving the item. My plan was to shoot yardages, toss it around the cart, and utilize the magnet. Boring… I know… but it’s a rangefinder, not an iphone. Though I was it would have rain while playing so I could check for any issues in the rain.

Looks & Feel (9 out of 10 points) 

Describe the following for the watch and sensors:

• Great compact shape. Good feel to the material. Comfortable to hold.

• Only 2 buttons; one to shoot yardage, the other to change settings. One complaint… the settings button is too close to the yardage button and accidentally gets hit (-1).

• I have not had any reason to believe the long term durability should be an issue.

• Great storage case. Zipper and a bungee strap. No issues with the carabiner on my end.

Setup (14 out of 15 points)

• Easy to use. 1-click of the settings button turns on and off the slope. Holding the button down will change yards to meters.

• Battery has lasted 6 rounds so far…

• Slope is very easy to turn on and off. If you’re paranoid competitors may cheat during a round (when slope is illegal), then it may be happening (-1).

Accuracy (12 out of 15 points)

• Hard to measure accurate distances… unless you know a calibrated set distance already. In comparison to my old Bushnell V2 Tour slope edition, the yardages matched +/- 1yd. (-1)

• I ended up shooting one of my best rounds ever (82) the other weekend while using the NX9. I must have had great confidence in yardage from the NX9 in order to score and hit the right clubs.

• The NX9 does shoot random items and does not require pins to have the prism. This is helpful when checking distance to trees or markers, etc.

• Optics were quite clear and magnification is strong. With stronger magnification comes more sensitivity to movement. Someone with shaky hands may have a difficult time locking in on a pin. (-2)

•  Typically shoot a flag 2-3x per shot for verification anyway.

On-Course (35 out of 40 points)

• Very simple to use right out of the box. I consider myself to be tech savvy but this is very straightforward.

• I would have to say it improved my routine if anything given the magnet feature. I thought it would be a gimmick and cause the NX9 to fall off and possibly lose the unit during the round. It has not fallen off even once! Being able to stick it on the golf cart post and grab it as you’re exiting the cart is an added convenience from the cup holder.

• Thoroughly enjoyed using it on the course. Nice and compact.

• The NX9 does pick up any item for yardage. With that being said, its great to be able to get the distance to a tree but can also pick-up the tree when you need the flag. This can be very very costly if you do not have a good feel and judgement for distance already. (-5)

• I can’t say I play any better or worse while using it. Play is a matter of ball striking and touch. But it does help if you have the right yardage. +/- 1 or 2 yards won’t cost me strokes. If it is 10yds off, then I’ll blame the rangefinder.

Play it or Trade it? (13 out of 20 points)

As previously mentioned, I currently game a 2009 Bushnell V2 Tour slope edition. The NX9 is definitely quicker at acquiring a yardage by an extra 1-2 seconds. The NX9 has a greater magnification (7x compared to 5x) but that can be a positive or a negative. Money plays a big factor in decisions (duh). Since I already have a rangefinder, then there is no way I would pay $330 to upgrade to a NX9. If I did not have a rangefinder, I would definitely consider this one as it fits the mold for what you get for the price point. The ‘free batteries for life’ is a nice touch but that all depends on how often you play (or if you play in the cold the batteries die faster). My 10 year Bushnell does the same thing except having a magnet; cool feature but not worth an upgrade. As a casual golfer (8-12 rds/yr), $330 can be an expensive price for a convenience tool. $330 is also not a STANDOUT price to make me sway away from Bushnell or Leupold.

2107342458_rangefindercomparison.jpg.55ab7318523fadd40dd0b7164ea12a90.jpg

Using rangefinders in tournaments is questionable. I do like the fact that it speeds up play BUT tournaments state that the device cannot provide more than flat distance (i.e. no slope, humidity, wind, etc). Most rangefinders with slope have a button to turn it on and off. It is too easy to tap a button to be cheating and by the time your back to the clubhouse, tap the button and you’re all of a sudden back in regulation. I hope the USGA says any rangefinder is allowed with any feature. This will speed the game and avoid paranoia and speculation.

Conclusion

It is required to be somewhat critical while also staying rational when doing a review. With that being said, the Precision Pro NX9 HD is an excellent product. The optics are clear, the accuracy matched well, it’s easy to use right out of the box, and has a magnet for convenience. Time will tell if the durability is needed. Given that it goes from golf bag, to hand, to golf cart, to bag, the durability should not be an issue. If you’re in the market for your first rangefinder, I would consider the Precision Pro brand. If you’re looking to replace an existing rangefinder, it all depends on what money is worth to you.

I would highly recommend EVERYONE play with a rangefinder. Trying to step off yardage or use sprinkler heads is such a waste of time. Get with modern age and buy a rangefinder. If you’ve ponied up for clubs, buy a rangefinder for everyone else’s sake behind you playing. My honest suggestion is to buy a used or older model rangefinder and save some cash. Save $50-$200 and skip the jolt, humidity, 5000yard distance, .01yd accuracy, etc features. OR, if money is no object, skip this review and buy the Bushnell XE which provides every feature because… why not.

Final Score:  83 / 100

Edited by JonMUSC08

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

July 14, 2019 

(FYI I was away on a holiday so I have not received my rangefinder yet. I should have it this week I think and will complete stage 1 then.)

UPDATE! - The NX9 has arrived!

D8zJny5.jpg

5ac64SC.jpg

FCNkQT8.jpg

lQCkZJQ.jpg

My first unboxing video, I apologize for the camera. I was trying to do it one handed and although it was in landscape mode it was upside down and this is the best I could do! Next video will be better!

First off I want to thank MGS and Precision for the opportunity, I really apprecaite it. I love golf gear and new tech.  I’m from Eastern Canada, Cape Breton Island to be specific. I live in Calgary, Alberta now and have for some time. The first time I was really aware of golf was when I was nine and I watched Jack Nicklaus win the Masters in 1986. It was a rainy spring day and there was nothing on TV but it. I was captivated for that day.  I think I had goosebumps. A few years later I saw Ian Baker Finch win the British Open and I immediately thought of that little nine-hole course my school bus drove by every day and had that feeling of excitement I still get in my gut when I go golfing.

Nobody in my family played but I called up right then and asked if they were open yet. The owner gave me a confusing answer to me at the time. “The Flags aren’t in yet.” I had no clue what that meant and assumed he meant he was open. I went up the next day and despite them being closed he let me and my cousin’s play. I was the only one that kept playing after that day. 30 years later and I still love the game just as much. I’m a total addict. I got down to an eight index and leveled out at around a ten, up until two years ago.

I think I mostly love the game because it’s really man against himself. It’s the ultimate test of self control. If you think you’re good at hiding your bad side, golf will sort that out and show you what you are. It shows you the truth. You can cheat if you want but you'll know the truth, there's no way around it. Golf is like your big sister growing up. She'll find all your weak spots and expose them.

Anyway, a few years ago I was having major back issues but wanted to get my first round of the year in anyway. This is May 23rd, 2017. We get started on the back nine and on the twelfth hole I took a swing despite knowing my back was bad and heard a sickening “CRACK” and I dropped like a rock. I managed to get back to the parking lot and an Ambulance had to take me to the hospital from there. Found out I had disc issues, a compression fracture and osteoporosis. I got tested for everything under the sun as for a man my age (39 at the time), it’s rare to have osteo. Luckily (it often means bone cancer) for me it was just a genetic thing. With osteo, the disc issues and my stupidity it was a perfect storm haha!

Two years later and I’m back golfing again but learning left handed as it’s easier on my back. Just got a bone scan done and I’m increasing density due to exercise and medication. I’m currently a 34 index. My worst round is 138 and my low 104 from the wrong side of the ball. I don’t know if there could be anyone happier to be back golfing. I honestly didn’t know if it would ever be an option so the scores are secondary to that, however I’m a competitive s.o.b. so I want to get good again.

My goal this year is to break 90 although it’s been tough learning left handed so that is pretty ambitious. My putting is pretty good and my short game is coming nicely. I’m not hitting full shots solid at all, that is my biggest issue. I used to be a pretty long hitter so averaging 170 yards off the tee right now is a bit crappy to be honest. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate being out there, I do.

Here is my current swing:

I bought all used clubs (except for the Hogan wedge which is new) with graphite reg shafts as I assumed my club head speed wouldn’t get high enough to need stiff. We’ll see I guess. I din't get fit as I didn't know if I'd be able to even really play. Here is my setup:

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind LW

:ping-small: Ketch Mallet

I have a Garmin vivoactive smart watch that has a gps. I’m not thrilled with it to be honest, it's a pain in the butt to use and very basic. I love golf gear and have had range finders in the past as well. I think both GPS and range finders have their uses. My old rangefinder was slow so I didn’t like it. I have Game Golf too but it doesn’t work that well in my opinion. Love the stats though.

I hope having this range finder will make it easier for me to judge how far I'm hitting my clubs and will help me over-club instead of under-club which is what I tend to do. I also really need it for the range as the targets aren't marked when I go usually. Or they are but not to the stall. 

Again, I'll update the post when I get my new NX9! 

Edit: Some pics from the trip including the best breakfast sandwich I've ever had. 

Links 1.jpg

links 3.jpg

links 5.jpg

July 14 stokes gained.png

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

Stage Two – Precision Pro NX9 – Official MGS Forum Review by FromRightToLeft, Sept. 10th, 2019

So to continue the review, I ended up getting right around 15 rounds in with this device. I have been really struggling with my switch to left handed golf the last two months and am only coming out of it somewhat now. That said I did a lot of testing. I compared it to my Garmin watch, then my new Bushnell Phantom GPS. My home course has a lot of hazards around the greens. They are environmental areas that make about 7 greens almost island greens. The NX9 had the most value for me in these situations. Also in the forced carries as I am not hitting the ball long right now. Some of these things the GPS doesn’t show.

Looks & Feel (8 out of 10 points) 

• It fit in my hand perfectly (I am a ML glove size) and the rubber for the eye socket was really comfortable. I was surprised that I liked the bright green but I did.
  • The durability and build quality seem very high. I dropped it a few times and there were no issues. I think if you buy one of these you’ll be good for many years without having to replace it.
  • The storage case is fantastic. It has a great zipper but also even when you have the zipper open it is designed so that your range finder falling out would be pretty unlikely. In fact mine never fell out once with the zipper open.

Setup (11 out of 15 points)

• The instructions for the NX9 are simple enough. The only thing I had to look at was the slope setting. It says “M1” for no slope and “M2” for slope setting. This I just don’t understand. Why make it so close? Why not have nothing on the screen if there is no slope on and “SL” or just “S” when it’s on? What does “M1 or M2” mean to anyone? This is poorly thought out and bad design in my opinion. 
  • I didn’t end up talking to customer service as the one issue I had resolved itself (more on this to come).

• So, I had an issue for a few rounds where I would tag something and it wouldn’t come off the screen. So I accidentally tag a tree behind the flag for example and I know the yardage is wrong at 100 yards. Its max 80 yards. So I hit the button to laser the flag again but the 100 yards won’t go away no matter what I try and tag. The golf cart 10 yards away still says 100 yards. This “getting stuck” in a yardage happened several times over a few rounds and then just stopped happening. The last 10 rounds I’ve not had an issue.
  • My other major issue was that it would tag trees behind flags very often instead of the flag. This could mean having to try two or three times to get a yardage.
  • As far as being accurate when you did tag the correct target it was awesome. Bang on to what my Bushnell GPS was saying and Garmin watch.

On-Course (30 out of 40 points)

• So, on the course it was really intuitive to just grab this and take it out once I got used to having it. I have a magnetic pocket so that helped I think (I walk with a push cart).  I didn’t use the magnet on a cart since I'm a walker, but it’s super strong when I tested it on my fridge!
  • I would also say that using a range finder often added probably 5-10 mins to my round when I was using the NX9. Just always having to find the target, double check it etc. added 10-15 seconds at least per shot.
  • I have used a Garmin watch and now a Bushnell Phantom GPS. I have to say I prefer the GPS in most instances. You just look down and you’re done. No taking it out, bringing it up to the eye, finding the target and then re-tagging it at least once or twice to make sure yardage is correct. My skill is also not high enough to need more than front, center, back of the green. I also hate playing slow.
  • As far as a range finder goes this was the best one I have ever used. It is very fast to tag and the screen is really clear. Mis-tagging trees was annoying though. I have owned a couple of basic Bushnell range finders in the past and the NX9 blew them out of the water; it was faster, more accurate and fit in my hand better than any of the other rangefinders.
  • The NX9 also had a much better screen than anything I’ve used before. The slope feature was really cool to have in certain spots as well although it feels like cheating....hah.

I have to say despite some annoyances I played better with the range finder than without it. As I mentioned, my home course has a lot of environmental areas near or around the greens and on forced carries off the tee. I would have under-clubbed many times without the NX9.

Play it or Trade it? (15 out of 20 points)

After much consideration I would have to say I would want this in my bag in any competitive match. For “pleasure golf” or say with nothing on the line I don’t think I’d use it more than a half dozen times a round. My GPS would be good enough in most cases.

Part of that might be that I’m a beginner again now playing left handed and general yardages are more than fine for me. When I was a single digit I think I would use it much, much more.

I think the NX9 would be geared towards pretty much anyone that needs accurate distances on the courses they play but more so for the better players. I feel that way about all range finders though. For a fifteen cap or above like me, a GPS with front, middle, back is more than enough in most cases. Everyone can use one of these for doglegs, forced carries and hazards not shown on GPS devices however. I also love it for the driving range. It's really handy there to tag different targets, be it a dark patch of ground or a marker. 

For myself being a high handicap right now with limited disposable income, I don’t think I would shell out the extra money for it above and beyond my GPS. Once I get down below a fifteen index I think I would then very likely buy one.

Conclusion

The NX9 was by far the best rangefinder I have used. It was really accurate with distances and fast to tag. My main issues were; not knowing if the slope was on or off due to poor graphic design and that it would miss-tag trees fairly often behind flags. Overall it’s something I’d want in my bag, especially when I get below that fifteen index.

Final Score: 76/100

Quick Video Review

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

About me as a golfer

First of all thank you MGS and Precision Pro. I’ll do my best to keep up the standard of honest testing.

Secondly, I’m old……there….I’ve said it. I’m starting my sixth decade on this planet and I’ve chased the small white ball around it for five of them, and it still eludes me.

A long long time ago… on a planet we all live on, I was a teen……my uncle took my brother out to try golf, I said I’d tag along as it was summer, school was out and I was bored. He hated the game, I was hooked. The chance to smash a ball as hard as I could in any direction was too good an opportunity to pass up as my body was bursting with energy (those were the days) 😊

I played the local muni as much as I could over that hot summer – I mention it was hot as Scottish summers are usually mild and damp – the 9 hole muni had it’s usual type of players, it ranged from kids who hit the ball and ran after it, ladies and old guys with all the gear and a scattering of ‘gangs’ who would either nick your ball or ask to see your driver then walk away with it calmly surrounded by their ‘henchmen’. The smaller and less brave thugs would just sit near a tee and shout abuse that Richard Pryor would have blushed at. I say ‘gangs’ but they were kids my age but street smart. Needless to say I became adept at playing quickly and ‘ready to run’ golf.

giphy.gif

I gave the game up after that as I discovered girls, snooker/pool, alcohol and hanging out.

Started back again at 20, joined a club, handed in my three cards and got my first official handicap of 18. Hooked again I played and practiced in all conditions as I was going to be the best I could. I got down to a 5 in my first season and capped it by winning a comp with a sub par round and coming 6th in the club championship.

giphy.gif

Roll on a few years and the handicap hovered between 3 and 5 but I could also have a swing breakdown for weeks and couldn’t work out why. I’d never had a lesson and knew nothing about the technical side of the game. I had bought a set of Titleist blades off the shelf and adapted my swing to suit what I had – (decades later I looked at them in the garage to see they were regular lite shafts! Who needs fitted 😉) – So I started getting lessons and finding out about shafts, kick points, swing weights, launch angle blah blah and my game got consistently worse as I chased my swing issues through club tweaking and changing.

giphy.gif

I call this period of the last 20 years my ‘talking golf era’. I could talk knowledgably about the tech and my head was full of the latest swing thoughts, top pro’s books and youtube golf gurus that guaranteed sure fire ways to fix my game and play like the pro’s. When I knew nothing I practiced until I found a way it worked. Now that I was armed with an encyclopedic knowledge I tried everything, usually at the same time. It’s a bit like going to the gym and straddling multiple machines while holding weights instead of working on my arms, then quads, then legs etc

giphy.gif

Jump forward to present day and my love/hate relationship of the game is still as strong as it always was, but now just a tad more realistic. I have succumbed to the lure of new clubs as my very old Mizuno T zoid pro’s weren’t forgiving enough and the forgiveness promised by todays OEM’s was surely the only reason my 85 could have been 75, in my head! So I tried many fittings with many major names, settling on Titleist 718 AP2’s trying to capture my Titleist youth, they didn’t suit, so I traded and bought Mizuno MP18 SC’s with Modus 3 tour 105 in ‘S’. Happy with them for looks, feel and sound and will probably last me a long time. Driver was a Titleist 910 D3 9.5, just bought a Cobra F9 and getting used to higher loft and longer shaft. I have an  old Callaway Steelhead 4+ wood that is as precious to me as Stensons 3 wood. I use the Sky Caddie watch as I only (think I) need F/M/B yardages as I can see any hazards ahead. I still have a decent SS of 89mph with a 6 iron and around 100-102mph with driver, I just have to keep the body fit now as distance is definitely shrinking.

giphy.gif

I’m still competitive and I still envisage a sub par round when standing on the first tee, 4 hrs later I sign for ‘another’ 80-85 while muttering “there’s always next time”. I go home and self analyse from memory but it usually gets foggy, not because of age (I think that’s the reason but can’t remember lol), but playing the same course a lot it’s easy to mix up the poor drive on 4 with the great drive on 4 I played last week. I’ve never been that interested in golf gadgets that take lots of prep and even more attention on the course. Tried a laser once many many years ago and it was so difficult to see through and lock onto anything I gave up after 5 minutes. I do like tech though, that’s why I have the Skycaddie watch with F/M/B yardages, quick check and pull the right club. Stats I do like, my club puts up basic stats in your profile of rounds completed and it shows me weak scoring holes but that’s it. The only ‘issue’ with F/M/B yardages is it leaves lots of room for guessing i.e Pin looks like it’s nearer the back, middle is 150yds so it ‘must’ be ‘about’ 160yds, this leaves doubt in my head and indecision, but when you play a course at St Andrews the greens are enormous and it could easily be 2 clubs difference from middle to back.

This is where a laser trumps GPS. Taking doubt and indecision out and meaning I can swing smoothly and confidently at an exact yardage, rather than jumping on a 9 iron or holding back on a 7.

First Impressions

Quality looking box, nice graphics and colour plus it feels solid. Almost like it houses a prestige watch or expensive perfume.

1468315248_NX9box.thumb.jpg.f4b2c44dc2c2f3f9b8f880a52d91b59e.jpg

1496990991_nx9topbox.thumb.jpg.683c0989cd988aa715c05063b2d8127c.jpg

Well protected inside with instructions (not needed really but clear and simple if you did) and the hard case protector for on course carrying.

979250979_nx9caseinbox.thumb.jpg.67aa59e954404714469fdbbec2c35a8d.jpg

1965542668_nx9caseonbox.thumb.jpg.74cbdeb8491f8dd75ae7819a472e4aed.jpg

The laser itself is smaller than I envisaged, but that’s a good thing, fits easily in my average man size hands with fingers naturally placed on the two buttons on top. One to ‘fire’ and one for mode. Eye piece is a soft rubber and easy, but firm, turning for focus, I say firm as that stops it turning by accident in the case and going out of focus. Soft rubber is essential for us glasses wearers as we have to bash it into the glasses lens frequently.

2120661119_nx9openbox.thumb.jpg.f680833911457df5d22b7124cc392473.jpg

1871503963_nx9itself.thumb.jpg.bb93dde501e0eb99f77bbc3d30e3ea87.jpg

1080245553_nx9magnetside.thumb.jpg.d1dcfa1c2a6a1d499a91e56222041db9.jpg

2120661119_nx9openbox.thumb.jpg.f680833911457df5d22b7124cc392473.jpg

I read the enclosed instruction manual from cover to cover first, that’s not my usual style or even very manly as us men don’t need instruction literature, right men? But on this occasion and to ensure my MGS test was done properly and efficiently I thought it prudent to learn as much as I could before jumping in. It all reads easily, makes sense and easy to follow.

First use

Straight out the box I was lasering anything in the garden- Wow! My shed is 22yds from the house and the trampoline is 19yds….that’s good to know 😉

First competitive round and I was peppering the pin, lasered the flag and knowing it was ‘X’ yards I hit an easy iron that landed pin high which actually caused me some anxiety as I’m used to coming up short, putting was poor so it was easy 2 putt pars. Fellow competitors told me afterwards they thought I was going to smash it today! I didn’t as I got defensive and made easy bogies but it was a joy knowing, and not guessing, a yardage.

Locking on took some time, had to fire a few times as I was lasering the tree or mound behind the hole, so to be sure I had to fire a good 4 or 5 times for safety. This will get better as I get used to it. A ‘welcoming’ vibration meant I hit what I aimed at.

I had the laser and case dangling on my push trolley which made it easy for access using the elasticated loop to open and close. One issue is the caribiner that holds it to the trolley. The spring coupling arm broke after 2 rounds, fortunately I noticed in my bag and it didn’t happen on the course. I DM’d a message via twitter to precision golf (without saying I was an MGS Tester) and they had a new caribiner in the post within hours- Excellent customer service. I might have to invest in getting a stronger one though, just in case.

One other very slight niggle is the ‘MODE’ button is right beside the ‘fire’ button and I found I’d switched from yds to meters without knowing, I only noticed when I lasered the 150yd marker at our range and it said 144!

Apart from that first impressions are very positive.

Fire any questions here to me or the other testers and we’ll answer as best we can.

Stage 2 will, or could be, more revealing with numerous rounds and practice under our belts.

Please note, the personal info at the beginning I’ve used from a test done last year but there’s a ton of new spies who wouldn’t have seen it.

nx9 front on.jpg

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Stage TwoPrecision Pro NX9 HD – Official MGS Forum Review by Perseveringgolfer, Sept 2019

Intro

As I’ve previously stated I’ve never owned a Laser device, and in fact only looked through one about 20 years ago and hated it. I’ve stuck with a GPS watch for F/M/B yardages only and guess what the flag yardage really is based on that. It’s an ok method but I do find myself second guessing the pin yardage especially on large greens. Links courses can have 50 yards front to back so theres an element of luck there based on what I can see using eyes only. I also wanted to affirm what our range distances are as I don’t think they are accurate, a laser will sort that out and make practice even more rewarding I felt.

Other testers have gone into good detail on their stage 2, and rather have another lengthy post I’m going to stick with the facts as I saw them in bullet form which might make for easy reading especially if you are looking for certain info on the NX9 HD.

Looks & Feel ( 9 out of 10 points)

General Shape / Size / Fit – Small, light, fits hand well, feels good.

Customization- You can have slope feature on or off. Turn the eyepiece for focus. Simple.

Durability or build quality- Feels solid. Magnet on the device is exceptional.

Storage cases- hard shell case with a zipper and an elasticated closure so you can have the zipper open and no fear of the device falling out when hanging on your bag or cart. Caribiner on case broke in 2 days, very flimsy. Worth putting on your own stronger one.

Are the instructions clear? Very simple and you don’t need them. Take out box and fire laser.

How quickly does it charge? No charging, battery replacements for life of the device I believe from Precision pro (might be conditions for that).

Did you need to ask for help or search online for an answer during setup? Nope

Customer Service interactions? Asked via twitter about the caribiner, they replied saying they would send one out immediately, nothing arrived.

Most/least useful metric? Toggling between slope/non slope an issue. Too easy to hit the slope button by accident. It should be elsewhere so you don’t inadvertently become illegal during a competition.

Are the yardages accurate? Compared to range sticks and Skycaddie GPS and yardages are very very close.

Do the calculation or “plays like” distances match up with what you would’ve come up with? Surprised by some that I thought were ‘X’ and Laser showed the true yardage, usually resulting in a pin high shot, delighted.

Are there any intermediate targets you have trouble getting distances for? Loads! I had lots of issues targeting pins when there were trees or any objects behind the Pin. I found myself lasering on average 4-6 times per pin as the first yardage ‘looked’ wrong, and usually was, as my shaky hands were lasering the tree or grass mound behind it, a difference of 20-30 yds sometimes and I could have been way off with my shot had I not lasered repeatedly.

On-Course (30 out of 40 points)

Did you have to think about or remember anything to use the product? Remembering to check that slope wasn’t activated on every lasering during a competition. Got annoying after awhile.

Did it interfere with your normal golfing routine? Sometimes! When we had to hurry or I was first to play I did feel I was slowing things up having to repeatedly laser then put it back in it’s case. Much slower than a quick glance at a gps watch for F/M/B distances.

Did you like using it? Sometimes! When targeting a clean flag without background clutter it was quick and easy and confidence building on club selection. Using in the wind or rain was quite challenging and usually saw me stopping use after a few holes.

Compare and contrast to what you are currently using or have used in the past. GPS watch is quick and easy, but leaves guesswork for pin accuracy. Lasering was affirming and made me use clubs I wouldn’t normally use with excellent results.

Do you play better or worse now that you’ve got a new method for yardages? Better! When I could use it I played much better, surprising myself and playing partners with my accuracy to pins

Play it or Trade it? (15 out of 20 points)

This is a difficult section as there are major pluses and some minor annoyances. I’ve played it in friendly games, single games, stroke competitions and matchplay comps. I especially found it useful on a strange course, except when it was a blind shot. After using for a few weeks I started using the GPS watch AS WELL AS the Laser and this combo proved to be a great affirmation and gave me choices, which in turn eliminated guesswork.

As I’m playing less golf with Autumn/winter approaching fast I’ve let a friend use it recently, who also has no experience of lasers. He is younger, less shaky hands and a better player. So far he is loving the benefits but also agrees with some of the niggles I’ve already mentioned.

So my answer to the question is, I would play it, but in combination with a GPS device and not in wind or rain, and also if I can persuade my friend to give me it back and buy his own!😉

Conclusion

As already stated I’ve never had or used a laser before so cannot comment on the other testers who have said it’s faster than other lasers, as I have no previous experience to fall back on. As a new user I suppose I was a tad disappointed to have to laser umpteen times and make sure slope was on or off everytime. Apart from that it did exactly what it said on the tin! Gave me accurate distances to my target and has helped enormously in my practice sessions with club yardages and gapping. For that alone it is worth the investment if you are at all serious about your game and want to improve. As an aside it actually brought some fun back into my game as I looked like a proper golfer sometimes and range sessions let me see how far I can really (not) hit a driver lol

Final Score: (80 out of 100)

Thanks again MGS and Precision Pro for allowing me to test this product and I hope I've given an honest opinion. I intend to keep adding to the thread with any positive or negative experiences as I continue to "use and improve" (could be a good marketing strapline for Precision Pro?)

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Stage Two - Precision Pro NX9 HD – Official MGS Forum Review by Russtopherb

When we last left our intrepid (or maybe insipid? Either could work here, TBH) hero, he was excited to be testing the brand-new Precision Pro NX9 HD Slope rangefinder for his fellow spies. As a weekend golfer who had never used a rangefinder before, would he lower his scores? Break 90 for the first time? Learn how to hit his driver? Discover that Racer X was really his older brother, hiding his identity and throwing races to protect him against agents of evil?

We now begin the exciting conclusion of “Russtopherb Tests The NX9” starting… NOW!!! 

Looks & Feel (7 out of 10 points)

The NX9, as pointed out in Stage One, is on the smaller side for a rangefinder but it fits perfectly in my hand. My 13yo was able to use the NX9 repeatedly out on the course without a problem as well, the rangefinder is simple enough to use that he was lasering distances without any instruction or input from me at all. 

The case, as many have pointed out, is designed to really hold onto the NX9, even if you accidentally forget to close it. The carabiner that’s attached to the case… well, that’s another story. I know other testers swapped theirs out; I just played it safe and left the case in my bag when I was walking. 

IMG_0098.jpg.8745c43e91b15f8294d9def8e1072e24.jpg

Some points get deducted however due to how close the Mode button is to the Shoot button. It’s FAR too easy to accidentally hit the Mode button and either turn the slope on/off by mistake, or change Yards into Meters. I did that more times than I can count while on the course, and to be honest, that’s an issue. If you’re in a foursome, you don’t want to waste time futzing with your rangefinder to make sure you’re lasering the correct distances.

IMG_0088.jpg.166a0a730d89e40410cf759b3f40bb6d.jpg

The NX9 also gets some points off for not having any external visual indicators for the slope mode. Now, I don’t play in any tournaments, however I can see a lot of golfers who want a solid budget-friendly rangefinder needing to pass this one by so there’s no concerns over the slope mode accidentally being engaged, or the ability to show playing partners & event organizers that they’re complying with the rules.

For some golfers these may not be big concerns. However, with the amount of times I accidentally changed the mode & measuring distance type just trying to laser a pin, I think it’s a design concern for future models. 

The NX9 does win some points back for it’s sturdy and STRONG magnet. I play a local muni that’s pretty hilly to start with, and the cart paths… well, let’s just say they’re still on the “needs to be improved” list for the new management group. I played 3 rounds there with the NX9 attached to the side of the cart at eye level when sitting, and that sucker did not budge a single centimeter. Attach that puppy to anything you want my friends - it ain’t going ANYWHERE.

Setup (15 out of 15 points)

As noted above in Looks & Feel, the NX9 is dead easy to use. I scanned the included instruction booklet when I first pulled it out of it’s case, and I haven’t needed to look back at it since. Nor have I needed to look up any info online, and let me tell you - I’m one of those weirdos who has to investigate the heck out of anything I purchase or want to use. Like, putting together entire spreadsheets when just thinking about maybe buying a new car in another year. Yep, I’m that guy. So the ability to use the NX9 without any concerns or needing to memorize step by step instructions is huge for a dummy like me. 

I know some of the other testers have interacted with Precision Pro in regards to their case concerns, however I never used the carabiner so no issues there. The battery life appears to be fantastic - after a couple of months of using it on the course, at the range, and letting my son use it with his golf team, the battery life hasn’t budged at all. With lifetime free battery replacements, I have zero concerns about being able to use the NX9 indefinitely. 

The eyepiece is great and as a glasses wearer I never had any problems with it. I adjusted it slightly when I first pulled it out of the box and I haven't needed to touch it since.

I made sure to register my NX9 online using the including instructions right away, and haven’t been back to their website since. I consider that a very good thing.

Accuracy (10 out of 15 points)

We’re going to start with the good here - I compared the NX9 with a couple of GPS apps (FunGolf and 18 Birdies) as well as my older Neo+ watch. Distances were almost dead on at elevation, with only a yard or two of difference, max. Having the slope here was beyond helpful when playing hilly courses, hitting into elevated greens, etc. The NX9 had no problem locking onto sand traps, trees, doglegs or tee box markers when I wanted to laser a drive distance. 

Now, we have to go with the bad - the NX9 can be extremely difficult to get a correct distance on the first shot. Here in New England, there’s trees EVERYWHERE. 

You can’t escape them. So it’s inevitable that you’ll be aiming at a flag that has trees behind it. You really need to shoot the pin a good 2-3 times at the very least to make sure you have the right distance. Sometimes I even had issues getting consistent distances when lasering a pin that had nothing behind it. 

Precision Pro recommends holding down the shoot button while slowly sweeping across the flag you are shooting, but that really didn’t do anything for me to give me the correct distance right away. I can understand wanting to shoot a pin 2x to play it safe, but needing to do it 3-4 times can be a problem. It may be that the HD & zoom features are the culprit here - I found that I needed to use both hands on the NX9 while also tucking my elbows against my body to steady the device. The more zoom you have on your device, the more your tiny movements are magnified. 

I will say that shots from 100 and in were far more apt to give me the correct distance right away, however after experiencing issues from further out I still lasered multiple times when I was in closer. 

On-Course (35 out of 40 points)

On course, the NX9 is dead easy to use. Now, we need to also factor in the fact that while it’s easy to use, you also need to make sure that you haven’t accidentally changed the distance type or turned slope off, and you also need to shoot your target a bunch of times. So while it’s easy to use, it’s not as simple as pull it out, laser once or twice, and toss it back in the case or your cart. 

All that said though, the NX9 still performs great - again, no issues at all with accuracy once you confirmed you had the correct yardage to the pin (or your aim point) by lasering it a few times. I never had a distance that was off at all. 

Even with the concerns that I noted above, it’s still faster and easier to use the NX9 than a phone app to get a distance, which is what I did before the NX9. No need to pull the phone out of your pocket, unlock the screen, wait for the app to update the hole you’re on, then put the phone away again… you get the gist of things. I also preferred it to my watch, as the Neo+ only gave straight line distance, making the watch much harder to use on doglegs or holes where hazards were in play based on my shot shape and distances. 

I made sure to have the NX9 on every round I played, including one with fellow spies Golf Spy Stroker and Wedgie. I never ran into a situation where the NX9 led me wrong, or gave me a bad reading. Every misplaced shot was purely on me! As much as I’d like to blame that dead pull with my driver in Acushnet that almost wiped out an entire group on another tee box on something besides my terrible swing, the NX9 was great to have out there. 

Having the NX9 on approach shots made a noticeable difference for me. While it didn’t show up on my scores unfortunately, guys I play regularly with pointed out that my wedges were much improved from 100 yards and in. I was closer to the hole on a regular basis, even on shots that I really just tried to hit the center of the green. The NX9, however, will not prevent you from duffing 3 chips in a row, leading to a 10 on a par 5. Just so you know.

Play it or Trade it? (18 out of 20 points)

Having never owned a rangefinder before, I didn’t go into this review with any preconceived ideas. There were no other models for me to compare it to, or anything I was specifically looking for. This was 100% a “show me what ya got” situation.

Even with the points that I deducted in previous sections for all the reasons I laid out, I still think this is a great rangefinder for golfers who want a really good device without breaking the bank. I’m a weekend golfer who has no plans to compete in tournaments, so the lack of visual confirmation on the slope mode isn’t a dealbreaker at all… for me. You, however, may be in a different situation and it’s something I needed to take into consideration for this review.

The position of the Mode button is a big concern, and it’s something I hope Precision Pro addresses in future releases. Other users may not have that issue, based on finger size and dexterity. Maybe I’ve just got fat fingers, I don’t know.

fat-fingers.bmp

Likewise with the concern on needing to laser targets multiple times to ensure you have the proper yardage. The closer you get, the less of a problem this is, but it’s still an issue that I’ve had along with my fellow testers. Once you adjust and know you need to laser multiple times, it’s not so bad, however some golfers may want a “point once and go” solution, and I don’t think this is it.

I do, however, think the pros far outweigh the cons here.

Pros:

• Great price for the features you get
  • Dead simple to use
  • Magnet could potentially be used to lift a car off of a trapped puppy
  • Good build
  • Free battery replacement for life is killer

Cons:

• Image can be shaky and tough to lock on from a distance
  • Buttons too close together on the top
  • No visible indicator of slope mode
  • Won’t prevent you from hitting terrible shots and maybe saying a bad word or two on occasion

Conclusion

The NX9 is a solid entry in the range finder market, particularly for those looking for a model with slope at a good price. If you’re a weekend duffer or even someone who plays on the regular, this model is one you should definitely be looking at. It doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles some others do, but that doesn’t detract from the yardage accuracy or the industrial strength magnet that’s a huge bonus for those that prefer to ride. 

It fits well in your hand, stays stuck to the cart, and is so easy to use a junior golfer can start lasering distances within seconds of holding it for the first time. 

Final Score: 85/100 - Would buy and recommend you strongly consider it too if you want a no-frills, wallet-friendly and accurate range finder. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Stage Two – Precision Pro NX9 HD Slope – Official MGS Forum Review by B.Boston, Sep 15, 2019.

Intro

Alright fellow spies, it’s time for a Stage Two Review!  In the last few months I’ve spent a lot of time with the Precision Pro NX9 HD Laser Rangefinder.  Besides several league rounds and weekend rounds with friends, I took the NX9 HD out in the yard several times to compare and check the accuracy and consistency of the unit.  I asked my friends to try it and got feedback on the device compared to their own, and tried out their models as well to see if I felt the same way.  With no exception, the NX9 HD compared favorably to everyone who tried it.  They loved the optics, speed, and build quality of the NX9 HD!   

IMG_6135.thumb.jpg.05880fe3e50f7b2efe4cf3c3a48e9084.jpg

Looks & Feel (9 out of 10 points) 

The NX9 HD looks and feels like a premium rangefinder from the box to the unit itself.  The packaging is well done and manuals were printed on high quality paper.  The case is solid and zippers feel good to use and the bungie cord provides another in round option for securing if you aren’t taking advantage of the sleek built in magnet.  The only two quips against the packaging are: 1.  The lanyard provided literally has nowhere to be attached to the device. 2. The carabiner to clip the case to your bag is a weak point and does not work as solidly as I’d like, so I’m using a different one.

Alright, that’s enough on the packaging.  On to the device itself; The size, feel, and heft of the device all lead to a premium device.  The plastics and polymers used feel soft with no noticeable rough edges from seams. The magnet has a nice finish and integrates seamlessly into the unit.  There’s no wobble or creakiness to speak of. Compared to my Leupold GX-3i2 the NX9 HD feels as good if not better.  I see nothing that makes me worry about its long-term durability that wouldn’t concern me about any other unit.

7AB8E8B3-EB02-4826-BDB6-C3A0C4B07FBE.thumb.jpeg.ee68b15df0f8a1c9e984eddf20d11882.jpeg

Setup (15 out of 15 points)

Setup was simple and intuitive.  A quick review of the user guide showed how to get between Yards/Meters and Slope/No Slope.  Press the main button once to turn it on, and one more time to start getting your yardages. Simple, Easy, Awesome! 

In my time since receiving it I’ve used the rangefinder every round of golf and quite a bit around the yard to do some additional testing.  The battery meter still reads full, and I have no reason to believe that I couldn’t get a full year out of one battery, and with PrecisionPro’s free battery program, there really is nothing to worry about.  (Bonus Points to them perhaps?)

30AA5F13-D408-401E-AE94-2D7E3E353612.thumb.jpg.e0725fe6c9c284ec92c39092fcca4c9e.jpg

Accuracy (13 out of 15 points) 

When considering the accuracy of the rangefinder the testing that I did earlier in this thread:

Link: 

From the stand point of accurately hitting targets, I did have a few spots where it was harder to get a reading on the flag.  I wouldn’t say it is unique to the NX9 HD or PrecisionPro’s lineup either, and it was clear to me that it wasn’t getting the right reading, so a few more zaps of the target and I knew I now had the right number.  

On-Course (30 out of 40 points)

On the course the NX9 HD has mostly been a delight to use.  Most of the time I have no issues as my normal routine was to use my Leupold rangefinder.  The extra level of magnification, larger aperature, and larger viewfinder all make it easier for me to find flags and get my distance.  The Slope feature is an added bonus that I did not have before.

IMG_5784.thumb.jpg.15a90048bb6d0f6e992f9f14d78278f2.jpg

For me it was very easy to use on the course.  There were just a couple of issues that could be fixed with a software update that I’d love to see done.  I talked about them earlier: 

Link:  

1.    The Mode button is too close to the On/Use button, and I often hit it accidentally changing from Slope to non-Slope.  While this may not seem to be a big deal, if playing in a tournament that allows DMDs, the Slope feature accidentally being turned on could disqualify you.  The simple fix here would be a software update.  A Long Press of the mode button should be used to activate changing between the 4 available modes.

2.    I prefer the way you can get distances on the Leupold, but the NX9 HD’s way seems to the way most rangefinders are designed.

Lastly, I do believe that the slope feature has helped me shoot lower scores.  I recorded two of my lowest rounds at my league course, and it was shooting to the slope adjusted yardages that left me with two short 3 and 4 foot putts for birdies in those rounds.  

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

The PrecisionPro NX9 HD is firmly part of my golf bag now and I see no reason as to why that would change anytime soon.  As far as laser rangefinders go I see it as an incredible value for a feature packed and premium DMD.  Overall, I prefer the NX9 HD to the other current DMDs on the market.  I think it is a worthy upgrade to the NX7 line (in design and performance), and prefer it to other premium rangefinders from Leupold and Bushnell.  

IMG_5248.thumb.jpg.e4774ea190f5091c8e178ac9a958e497.jpg

Any player that is looking to gain more confidence by knowing the distance to the flag should have this on their short list of DMDs to try.  I know that my handicap dropped and I became much more aware of my yardages once I started to use laser rangefinders.

IMG_5559.thumb.jpg.c2cd3ea2210a960640cadfe6ebb3e1cf.jpg

Conclusion

When PrecisionPro designed the NX9 HD they set out to build a premium level rangefinder that improved upon the successful NX7 line in 3 key ways:

1.    Faster, Brighter, and Better optics

2.    A Premium design and upgraded features

3.    Easy to pick up the flags

They nailed all three of these compared to the NX7 line and now can really compete against other premium rangefinders.  The Optics are superb and really are Faster, Brighter, and Better than the NX7 and Bushnell and Leupold models I was able to compare against.  The design has all the premium features you would expect of a top of the line DMD including soft touch materials, no creaking or cracking, and a build in magnet.  Lastly, it was quicker and easier to pick up flags than the Bushnell and NX7, and while I still prefer the ranging method available on the Leupold, the other benefits of the NX9 HD have me won over.

While not perfect, the issues I have with the NX9 HD could theoretically be solved by a software update. If you are in the market for a new Laser Rangefinder you need to put the Precision Pro NX9 HD on your short list 

Final Score: 87!

1701631863_RenderedImage3.thumb.jpg.89c40dbb16ae5c42cc1cdaa8a90fd33e.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Stage One – July 16, 2019 

20190716_095933.jpg.886203329f116a2c7174418e813633bb.jpg

First off I would like to thank MGS for the opportunity to test the Precision Pro HD!  This will be my first experiment other than a skycaddie (I’ll get more into that later) with distance golf equipment.  I  hope to do MGS proud and will try to answer as many questions you readers may have that I can.

I began golfing at the age of 10 with my father and my grandpa at a 9 hole course in Delano, California.  I remember the hot summers there in 100+ degree temperature being dropped off in the morning and picked up at the end of the day when my parents got off work.  I have played golf ever since.  Played for my high school team, Tulare Union and then for Bakersfield College.  Soon after college I started working at Wasco Valley Rose Golf Course.  While working at the golf course in Wasco I was elected to PGA membership in 1998 and worked in the golf business until 2004.  Other courses I worked at included Stockdale Country Club, North Kern, Hanford Country Club and eventually became Head Professional at the course I grew up on in Delano.

20190716_101101.jpg.fe8489fb0f45bd673ca6a3216015e18c.jpg

These days I don’t get a chance to play often as I used to (although that used to be everyday so…) my family which includes a 4 year old keep pretty busy these days but I typically can still keep it in the 70’s.   If I were to list strengths of my game it would be putting and I am consistent with my driver off the tee.  When I used to play almost every day I considered myself to be a great chipper around the greens, these days I don't have the touch I used too, that’s the downfall of not enough practice time I guess.  If I did have to choose a weakness in my game it would be the gap between my 5 iron and 3 wood.  Have tried fairway woods and hybrids which I absolutely loath, just haven’t found the right one.  

Currently in my bag I have a set of the Ben Hogan Ft Worth Black irons 4-PW, Taylormade SLDR driver, Taylormade R11s 3 wood, Cleveland wedges and an Odyssey Sabertooth putter.  I still have a set of Callaway Apex irons that I use on occasion depending on how I’m feeling that day and if I want to do something different. 

20190716_100323.jpg.7f7c9814306fc271bf6ac2ae8f3a3a17.jpg

I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy, I have worked on computers and can usually figure devices out by playing around with them.  My wife just says I don’t like reading instructions, maybe she’s right?  That being said, I currently get my yardages but the old tried and true method of using yardage markers and stepping it off.  We all know how accurate that is, right?  There was this one time I had a skycaddie though.  I just found it a little too troublesome to have to download new courses when needed and too make sure it was always charged.  Unfortunately the skycaddie fell victim to I forgot it in the cart one day.  I never bought any yardage device after that, don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I didn’t want to I just didn’t.

20190716_100032.jpg.0bfc79144b46656b7030c1a4ef36d4e8.jpg

My first impressions of the Precision Pro NX9 HD was that it is a very bright color, hopefully that the sturdy case and the strong magnet that I can attach to the golf cart will keep me from forgetting in in the cart!  Who am I kidding, I know there will be times I have to run back to the cart and pray it’s still there.  The Precision Pro NX9 HD also came packaged very well and also in the bright green box.

20190716_095808.jpg.5d25de60117a5894f28664b00cf42a14.jpg

I am hoping with the use of the Precision Pro NX9 HD that I am able to become more accurate with my irons and not have to wonder if I got a bad yardage, didn’t hit it as well as I thought I did or just got a hold of that one!  There are a couple of holes out there I have questioned the yardage markers on and am anxious to see if it’s me or is it the markers?  Full well knowing it could still very well be me.  Stay tuned……..

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Stage TwoPrecision Pro NX9 – Official MGS Forum 9/16/2019

20190911_073620.jpg.7f14a6fb883012c06752950aaea74496.jpg

Intro

I have never owned a rangefinder before, have either relied on yardage markers or counting steps.  I was more than excited to get this out on the course and see what I have been missing out on and if it could improve my game.

Looks & Feel (9 out of 10) 

The size and feel of the rangefinder was perfect.  Was easy to hold onto and could even fit in my pocket.  So far from what I could tell it is pretty durable, I dropped it a couple times and even my 4 year old daughter dropped it once.  That is saying something because if it’s going to break, she’s going to break it. The magnet on the side to attach to the cart is very strong and makes it easy for storage when riding in the cart.  For storage the case is really a nice touch, I have a thing about not putting things back where they belong and losing, breaking them but the case is simple and have had no problems with storing the rangefinder.  It there were any negatives it would be that I’m not real crazy about the green color and like others every once in a while pressed the wrong button with them being so close together.  Not major problems that would deter me from purchasing the product.

1395243077_Screenshot_20190913-120013_VideoPlayer.jpg.bacbf61a1995ba74733f7e3cab5a8b70.jpg

The instructions are clear and easy to understand even I could do it!  There is really no setup at all, you just scroll through the menu and select meters and yards.  It would be nice to have it so you could say, select yards and leave that locked in in case you accidentally pushed the menu button, which I did on multiple occasions and noticed the next time I took a reading and thought to myself “this can’t be right?”

9357810_Screenshot_20190913-115836_VideoPlayer.jpg.380fc2976b4d2a1937b9fd999fdd1e3f.jpg

Accuracy (14 out of 15 points)

I found the accuracy to be amazing.  The only problem was most of the time user error.  I found that some of the yardage markers on the course were a little off, who would have thought?  There were a few times when I picked up things behind the target and had to re-shoot to get a better yardage but most of the time it was pretty obvious I had received a bad reading.  Most of the time it was more my unsteady hands than the rangefinder in getting a good reading, also was a problem with trying to take a picture through the viewfinder.  Would be much easier if they would install a camera inside those things!  Took it to the roof of my work one day to get some yardages to some things around town, can’t tell you how accurate it was but it was kind of fun to see what I could pick up.

2001399545_Annotation2019-09-16164818.jpg.1c79b38acc0800b637f09226d529694a.jpg

On-Course (40 out of 40 points)

This rangefinder was more than simple to use on the course, all you have to do is click and go.  I have never used one of these before so the only thing I had to compare to is my old sky caddy (which I didn’t keep in a case and it ended up broken.)  I like this much better as I do not have to download anything before use.  I feel that this will help my game as I have more confidence on my yardages and know If I’m off its more likely my fault.

1924807803_Screenshot_20190913-120106_VideoPlayer.jpg.0f4e62b684f183321323ba7f7a09589a.jpg

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

Definitely going to play this, made it so easy to get yardages didn’t have to worry about walking anything off or finding a sprinkler head with “close” yardages.  This easy to use rangefinder would be a benefit to golfers of all skill sets.

Final Score: (97 out of 100)

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Admin reviews are a bit different format than the ordinary Stage 1/Stage 2. Through the next several weeks, I'll keep editing this post here with my observations about the Precision Pro NX9 HD range finder.

I'll begin with my failed attempt at an unboxing video. I pulled the green box out of the shipping box and brought it downstairs to my putting green. My dog and youngest daughter also came down. Let's just say that it I never succeeded in getting the thing unboxed:

Later that afternoon, @Kirke and I sat down a filmed a more sedate unboxing, though with a couple of light moments courtesy of Kirke:

About me

I've chronicled the state of my game pretty extensively in this thread. I'm an entirely mediocre golfer, regularly playing most of my rounds around bogey golf. The strength of my game is my putting, which is better than average for my handicap. My iron play is also decent, in part thanks to the help provided by the PING G700 irons I was able to review last summer. My biggest weakness in my short wedge game, where I'm regularly throwing away multiple strokes per round.

image.png

My current distance measuring device is a budget laser range finder. It's a pretty utilitarian device. I've had no reason to distrust its yardages, but it is a challenge to lock on to a specific target. Holding it steady enough is very difficult, and I often take five or more measurements to get the flagstick rather than the trees behind the hole.

I have used the GPS features of a couple of different apps for getting yardages in the past, but I don't want to go back to those. I am very obviously a tech and data nerd, and I have a tendency to fiddle with these devices during a round, especially if they're not working exactly how they should. That kind of distraction has had adverse effects on my scoring. So a key feature I'll be looking for in the NX9 is its ability to get me a quick yardage without pulling my attention out of the round.

First Impressions

The other reviewers have done a great job taking pictures of the device itself. My opinion is that it is right in the Goldilocks zone for weight: enough that it doesn't feel like a cheap toy, but not too heavy for using.

Setup and use is pretty intuitive.

The case is well thought out. When not in play, the case can be zippered securely closed. During rounds, the elastic band easily holds the case closed while allowing quick access to the NX9.

Like others here, I've been very impressed with the magnet on the NX9. I've played one round thus far with a cart since getting my NX9, and the magnet held on the cart without any hint of failure. The only downside: I ended up forgetting it was stuck to the cart when I finished my round and left it behind. There's a happy ending to the story, though:

An Initial Concern

One early concern is the button setup. On top of the device, there are two buttons: the main button that powers the rangefinder on and triggers the laser, and the second button that switches the device mode and measurement unit (yards/meters). To change units, you hold the mode button for three seconds. That's just fine.

The concern I have is that a single tap of the mode button switches the NX9 from standard mode to slope mode. For me, this is not anything more than a trivial annoyance. It's very easy to accidentally press the mode button while grabbing the device.

My concern is for those who might use the NX9 is an official, sanctioned round of golf. Unless I'm mistaken, even in rounds that permit the use of rangefinders, the use of the slope calculation is not permitted. A scrupulous and honest golfer might easily (and inadvertently) put the rangefinder to his eye and find that he's got the NX9 in slope mode and suddenly be facing the prospect of a penalty.

Summary Review

So I didn't get around to writing my final review of the @PrecisionProGolf NX9 HD last year, but I think I have a pretty decent excuse. The guys at MGS HQ needed a NX9 for a video that wanted to shoot. PP didn't have them in stock at the moment (if I recall correctly), so I offered to send mine back to Harry and the gang. They ended up shooting this video:

Yep, that is my rangefinder flying through the air multiple times in this video 🙂. Yes, I did cringe a little seeing that 🙂

It's hard for me to add a ton to the reviews already posted. In every way, the NX9 HD absolutely checks the boxes I wanted it to check.

It works quickly in every way. I zip the case shut between rounds, but during rounds, I'm just using the elastic cord to fasten it. The rangefinder doesn't fall out, but it is out quickly when needed. I normally shoot the flag (or whatever target) twice for confirmation; the readings come instantly. Only every so often do I get disparate numbers (flag on one shot, trees behind the green on the second, for instance). Normally, those are really easy to clean up.

The magnet is powerful. As I chronicled through this thread, I really enjoy the ability to stick the range finder to the cart when driving. It doesn't fall off (almost miraculously). But it's so accessible when needed. My only issue was my repeated tendency to forget about it after a round. That's my fault.

I still need to finalize a solution for using the magnet with my pushcart. There isn't an obvious place on the cart, and the place I selected to stick a piece of metal for using the magnet wasn't ideal; I kept knocking the NX9 off. Your mileage will vary here depending on the design of your cart.

It's accurate. Again, other than the occasional tree reading, the number I get with the NX9 is spot on on the first read.

On the slope feature: this is harder for me to evaluate. I have left it off most of the time. I might add a few more comments to this thread this year comparing the NX9's slope number to the Arccos recommended distance.

The slope button is a problem. I definitely echo the others (and repeat myself): it shouldn't be so easy to switch modes from slope on to slope off. It is inevitable that you will accidentally hit that button at some point (probably a time or two a round). For me, it's an annoyance. For someone who plays in tournament play, it nearly makes the NX9 an impossible option; the risk of inadvertently getting a slope reading when it is not permitted by the rules is too high.

It's making my game better. This season, I'm fully committed to a clock system with my wedges. That means I need to get yardages on shots inside 100 yards. In my experience, a laser is ideal here. It's fast, and yardages on a GPS sometimes drift as you cart/walk into position next to your ball. I want to be able to be confident that my distance is accurate so I can choose my swing. Plus, I just don't want to mess with my phone more than necessary during a round.

Using the NX9 in this way has been perfect for me this year. My short game stats with Arccos have me (so far) this year around a 14 handicap, which is lower than it was on Game Golf. And that is with a number of thinned shots. As the season goes on, I'm expecting that the system of "get to the ball/laser the distance/confirm on my chart which club and swing I'm using/hit the shot confidently" is going to make this my best short game season to date.

In summary: the Precision Pro NX9 has a permanent spot in my bag and my game. I haven't yet had to contact PP for a replacement battery, but that is also a reason that this range finder isn't going anywhere.

In summary:
Looks & Feel: 10 out of 10. Great size, great weight. The green doesn't do anything for me, but it's not offensive either.
Setup: 11 out of 15 points. Here's where I'll knock the points for the mode select button.
Accuracy: 14 out of 15 points. Nothing inaccurate, but it does sometimes pick the wrong target (trees, etc.). I'll save a perfect 15 for a rangefinder that never misses, if that could ever be invented.
On-Course: 40 out of 40 points. Yep. It's exactly what I wanted it to be.
Play It or Trade It? 20 out of 20 points. It's my range finder.
Overall: 95/100

If you're looking for a rangefinder, I can't see spending more for something else.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Stage 1 is up

I’m doing a lot of testing next week , please message or tag any questions you have or tests you would like see.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Stage 1 is live! 

Tag me with any question or comments you guys would like me to address during the review process!  I'll be sure to make note on any tests you guys come up! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Hey Spies, my Stage 1 is now up!!! Give it a read and be sure to let me know if you have any questions!!!

Stage 1 is up!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Lots more to come, but for now, I've updated my review with my not-quite-unboxing video: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32421-2019-official-forum-member-review-precision-pro-nx9-hd-rangefinder/?do=findComment&comment=556994

Full WITB with pictures

Nice stage 1s for all those who've posted so far.  

On 7/12/2019 at 9:25 PM, JonMUSC08 said:

Currently I’m gaming a 2009 Bushnell V2 Tour Slope Edition rangefinder.

@JonMUSC08 - I have the same one.  I'm interested to hear if there's any reason to change.  My Bushnell still works just fine.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Great start fellow spies Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Stage 1 is up now. Even more pictures of the same box we all have😂 but with all our own perspectives...

On 7/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, B.Boston said:

Hi All!  Big thanks to MGS and PrecisionPro for the opportunity to test out the NX9 HD Slope Rangefinder!

7AB8E8B3-EB02-4826-BDB6-C3A0C4B07FBE.thumb.jpeg.d051c407375ebc059b7321d504c70b91.jpeg

For those of you who don’t know me, which is most of you, my name is Bryan and I am the short guy in blue in the photo below and I live in Bellingham, MA.  I have been golfing for as long as I can remember but got much more serious about the game after I graduated from Bentley University in 2009.  I play to about an 8 handicap and I am always trying to improve my game, but between work, 2 boys (and a baby girl due in 4 weeks) practice time is not what it needs to be.

IMG_5134.thumb.jpg.107002d7222bf792e0dd799ce739c1bb.jpg

Here is two videos of my swing in action a few weekends ago on a golf trip with some friends (those less handsome guys in the photo from earlier). I’m fairly consistent, and generally hit my irons dead straight and my miss is typically a small cut or push right. My driver tends to favor a fade, but I’ve mostly eliminated the big slice I had when I was younger.  A draw used to be a four letter curse word for me, but I am now able to hit one, just not always when I need to, so I favor the left to right movement if I can.

(Swing tips and heckling are fully approved should you wish to chime in)

I usually shoot in the low to mid 80’s and would say my biggest weakness is in chipping and pitching it close.  I’m working on this and trying to rely less on feel and have a system for yardages inside of comfortable full swings.  My driving has improved significantly (thanks SuperSpeed) and I’ve always been a good putter.

One of my strengths is also that I use technology to my advantage and have a good strategy to attack the course.  Of course, it doesn’t always work, but that’s why we play the game right!? During a typical round I will use both my Leupold GX-3i2 and a GPS app on my phone.  Off the tee I’ll use the GPS to pick a landing area based on the fairway and hazards and always look to see where the flag is with my rangefinder in relation to the front and back of the green to select an approach shot.

Here is a quick view of what is currently in the bag, and you can get specifics from my signature down below.  Most of my bag isn’t going anywhere soon and earlier this year I went down to my fitter and had my putter adjusted for me (counter weight and loft/length/lie adjustments).  But I have been swinging some newer drivers lately…

947262718_RenderedImage2.thumb.jpg.4802f53b68efab1aa9ed593e248e4668.jpg

RenderedImage.thumb.jpg.60d79024737ebfedc2011e70206f1e94.jpg

But that’s enough about me, if you’re still reading along its time we got to talking about this little green machine:

2104958946_RenderedImage3.thumb.jpg.b673e9af67583e00bb1c6304b8b8bf65.jpg

Let’s start with a recap of what Precision Pro has to say about the NX9 HD:

• Faster, Brighter, Better
    • On top of Slope Measurement and Pulse Vibration technology, Precision Pro is claiming a Brighter and Wider display to make finding the pin even easier.
  • Built-in Magnet
    • Secures to the cart safely with the Magnetic Grip so that it’s always within easy reach before every shot.
  • Easy to Pick up the Flag
    • NX9 HD’s embedded Target Acquisition Technology makes it simple to lock on to the flag even if you have shaky hands.

First impressions are positive. The packaging is high quality and the unit itself has a great weight to it.  I know this was mentioned specifically somewhere before that they wanted more heft, and it does lend it self to a feeling of quality and durability. 

IMG_5190.thumb.jpg.b4cb3f7b421b286150d09865cce3adc3.jpg

IMG_5244.thumb.jpg.75b06ee25f244c56b12de6f8c73d7101.jpg

The buttons are easy to press, and mode/menu items are easy to access and work well.  There are far fewer options compared to my GX-3i2, with no reticle options, and really just Slope/No Slope, and Yards/Meters as the options per the user guide.  Simple and functional, so no complaints there.  

Here’s a view through the lens showing some options/modes selected:

30AA5F13-D408-401E-AE94-2D7E3E353612.thumb.jpg.7b649ff64cf18594b85a6345f79b6318.jpg

Two little questions are have from my first look at the NX9 HD are where is this lanyard supposed to connect to?

IMG_5245.thumb.jpg.943ff908c068c3966b1177f9cd9c84d1.jpg

And how well sealed is the Battery door?  Not used to seeing one quite like this, so I’ll have to see if that is unique to Precision Pro designs or if it is more common on newer models.

IMG_5258.thumb.jpg.0519e270235edd9adaa6210188c6fba5.jpg

As far as their claims go the magnet works as advertised!

1DBBB307-A4A5-4142-98D2-60F8C5B133EE.thumb.jpg.afc2089bc9230d3d703a8372b56de420.jpg

IMG_5327.thumb.jpg.6fdd634b5554f00711114b20d1b4392a.jpg

But is it Faster, Brighter, Better? It certainly looks like a nice bright and wide viewfinder, and I have some tests planned to put that to the test. And is it Easier to Pick Up the Flag?  While most modern rangefinders are quick, I’ll make not of any difficulty in picking up the flag as there are a few situations I’ve experienced on the course that give some rangefinders fits.

You may be asking yourself why a rangefinder would help your game, and wether its worth it or not compared to using a GPS app or *gasp* the on course markers to the middle of the green. Now, we’re not all as good as DJ, but the point here is if you know your yardage, and know your swing, you are going to hit it closer.  I’ve found that using a rangefinder can be eye opening as to how far you actually hit the ball, while giving you the added benefit of knowing exactly how far to the flag. 

*Insider tip:  It is almost never a bad move to take the distance to the flag, and a GPS to the center of the green and play for a spot between the two favoring the center of the green.  Using the rangefinder alone can lead to a lot of short sided misses if you don’t take other positional factors into account.*

Stay tuned for updates and some head to head battles against another premium rangefinder (albeit one that is not a few years old).  I’ll test the NX9 HD and GX-3i2 side by side both at the range and on the course making note of their pros and cons.  I’ll also grab my friends NX7 Slope for some on course comparisons if possible as well.

Leave a note below and tag me if there are any specific tests you’d like to see done!  I can guarantee there will be more awkward viewfinder photos, probably some chicken scratch yardage comparisons, and most certainly some bad grammar too!  

Sound off below, let’s do this!

IMG_5248.thumb.jpg.b79611e37d0e478e7458babc7d6d008d.jpg

Bryan,  

Great write-up. On your question about 'where does the lanyard go'? If you go to the other Precision Pro thread you'll find the pictures of the "slot". A different twist and response to your question:  I find that to be the only design weakness of the Precision Pro devices. The lanyard is too small and the slot too tight. I have an NX7 pro and have attached an extra long yellow lanyard to it. The access "slot" for the OEM lanyard doesn't allow enough space to attach an different one so I have to attach mine to the OEM.  

Why do I need an extra long brightly colored one? Great question. I've lost 2 LRFs on courses because I've laid them down and either forgot to pick them up or couldn't find them.  That happened again this year. I was pitching out of deep rough and over tall bunkers  - too preoccupied to see if I landed on the green, I  left it on the ground . After putting out I realized that I left it in the rough - going back I was only able to spot it because of the yellow lanyard - the NX7 just blended into the grass. Wish PrecisionPro would add a ring and/or a wider slot and just forget about the OEM lanyard. FYI, yes I know the yellow is getting pretty dirty and I need to replace it - but then it's a testament to how much I use my NX7! 😎

IMG_6073.JPG

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Bryan,  
Great write-up. On your question about 'where does the lanyard go'? If you go to the other Precision Pro thread you'll find the pictures of the "slot". A different twist and response to your question:  I find that to be the only design weakness of the Precision Pro devices. The lanyard is too small and the slot too tight. I have an NX7 pro and have attached an extra long yellow lanyard to it. The access "slot" for the OEM lanyard doesn't allow enough space to attach an different one so I have to attach mine to the OEM.  
Why do I need an extra long brightly colored one? Great question. I've lost 2 LRFs on courses because I've laid them down and either forgot to pick them up or couldn't find them.  That happened again this year. I was pitching out of deep rough and over tall bunkers  - too preoccupied to see if I landed on the green, I  left it on the ground . After putting out I realized that I left it in the rough - going back I was only able to spot it because of the yellow lanyard - the NX7 just blended into the grass. Wish PrecisionPro would add a ring and/or a wider slot and just forget about the OEM lanyard. FYI, yes I know the yellow is getting pretty dirty and I need to replace it - but then it's a testament to how much I use my NX7! 
IMG_6073.JPG.e99a694fc94cb4a79104c3ccf30d26d4.JPG

Seems the Case redesign for the NX9 eliminated that slot. The battery door takes up all the space below the viewfinder.

IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

My guess is we got the same accessories as the NX7s but there is just no lanyard slot anymore.

Or I’m blind... both are potentially true. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit to include an unboxing video in which I actually manage to get the device unboxed: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32421-2019-official-forum-member-review-precision-pro-nx9-hd-rangefinder/?do=findComment&comment=556994

Full WITB with pictures

Forgot to add- the magnet is a beast! stuck it to my oven door and it doesn't shift without some good force behind it.

Makes me think of super gluing a piece of metal to the top of my push trolley and putting it magnetically there, would be really easy to use without opening and closing the case, plus theres no chance a failed caribiner (see my review) could let it drop off.

2 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Forgot to add- the magnet is a beast! stuck it to my oven door and it doesn't shift without some good force behind it.

Makes me think of super gluing a piece of metal to the top of my push trolley and putting it magnetically there, would be really easy to use without opening and closing the case, plus theres no chance a failed caribiner (see my review) could let it drop off.

That is a great idea. I was bummed to find that there was nowhere on my pushcart to attach the magnet. If I get this done, I'll share what I did.

Full WITB with pictures

12 hours ago, 808nation said:

Great start fellow spies emoji41.pngemoji106.png Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers emoji481.png

Grabbing the target isn't hard at all, however I've learned that it doesn't hurt to shoot it at least twice, especially if I'm a decent distance away and there's trees behind the pin. The closer I get the easier it is to make sure that the first check is the correct one. No image stabilization that I've noticed, I tend to hold it with both hands and lock my elbows into my body to keep things steady.

57 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

The magnet is indeed a beast! I played a muni who's cart paths are barely paved, it's definitely an offroading experience. The NX9 held onto the cart like a champ and didn't budge an inch. The magnet is SOLID.