Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

Great start fellow spies Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It’s easy to use, I certainly use the old measure twice cut once motto. I take at least 2 measurements each flag. I had my 10 year old “caddie” for me yesterday and she was a pro using it after a couple holes. I would let her shoot it and then I’d verify and she was nailing it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

20 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Nice stage 1s for all those who've posted so far.  

@JonMUSC08 - I have the same one.  I'm interested to hear if there's any reason to change.  My Bushnell still works just fine.

Awesome! I have enjoyed my Bushnell as well. Without going into too much detail (since i have to post a stage 2 review...), it all depends on if you want to drop some some money on a new one. I used my Bushnell and the Precision Pro side by side and let others use it for about 2-3 rounds now. If you were buying brand new (or sold you old one) and didn't have a rangefinder then its a matter of 'whats another $100-$130 worth to you.' My wife my kill me if i spend $330 on something i already have. ...Clubs are different 😉

9 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Forgot to add- the magnet is a beast! stuck it to my oven door and it doesn't shift without some good force behind it.

Makes me think of super gluing a piece of metal to the top of my push trolley and putting it magnetically there, would be really easy to use without opening and closing the case, plus theres no chanstage ce a failed caribiner (see my review) could let it drop off.

SPOILER ALERT: I 2nd that, magnet is a beast. I was surprised. More info on that in stage 2!

20 hours ago, 808nation said:

Great start fellow spies emoji41.pngemoji106.png Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers emoji481.png

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Regardless if i used my old rangefinder or my new Precision Pro, I always shoot the flag 2-3x.

Image stabilization can be tough the greater the magnification there is. You're looking a smaller area over a greater distance.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

For those needing a rangefinder and for cheap. Prime day special
Precision Pro Golf, Nexus Golf Rangefinder, Laser Golf Rangefinder, 400 Yard Range, 6X Magnification https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017JIT6EG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6JilDbXYT792T

Also saw the Nikon ?Coolshot? For $200

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, FromRightToLeft said:

Anyway, a few years ago I was having major back issues but wanted to get my first round of the year in anyway. This is May 23rd, 2017. We get started on the back nine and on the twelfth hole I took a swing despite knowing my back was bad and heard a sickening “CRACK” and I dropped like a rock. I managed to get back to the parking lot and an Ambulance had to take me to the hospital from there. Found out I had disc issues, a compression fracture and osteoporosis. I got tested for everything under the sun as for a man my age (39 at the time), it’s rare to have osteo. Luckily (it often means bone cancer) for me it was just a genetic thing. With ostea, the disc issues and my stupidity it was a perfect storm haha!

Two years later and I’m back golfing again but learning left handed as it’s easier on my back. Just got a bone scan done and I’m increasing density due to exercise and medication. I’m currently a 34 index. My worst round is 138 and my low 104 from the wrong side of the ball. I don’t know if there could be anyone happier to be back golfing. I honestly didn’t know if it would ever be an option so the scores are secondary to that, however I’m a competitive s.o.b. so I want to get good again.

This is an amazing story, and I hadn't previously realized the significance of your forum handle. Wishing you all the best in your health and in your continued re-learning of the game!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Great stage 1!  So it looks like there are 3 lefties testing the NX9 HDs? 👍

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Great stage 1!  So it looks like there are 3 lefties testing the NX9 HDs?

MDGolfHacker

You can count me as a half. I’m left handed but golf righty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

This is an amazing story, and I hadn't previously realized the significance of your forum handle. Wishing you all the best in your health and in your continued re-learning of the game!

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate that. It's been really great getting to relearn the game again. My absence just made me love it more and I really sympathize with what beginners are going through. Got to play the course I grew up playing last week, The Cape Breton Highlands! It is a top 100 in the world and it was in great shape. It is my favorite place to be in the world. 3 rounds walking, in two days too, perfect weather! I just added a few pics from the trip to my post!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32421-2019-official-forum-member-review-precision-pro-nx9-hd-rangefinder/?do=findComment&comment=556978

:titelist-small: TS2 - 9.0 

Callaway Rouge Max LS

:titelist-small: Ts2 - 3 Wood

:titelist-small: TS2 - 7 Wood

:titelist-small: AP1 716 - 6i - Wedge

:titelist-small: Vokey Wedges

Clevland Huntington Beach 1 Putter

Great night with the NX9 on the course. The last 2 holes were definitely in the twilight and I had zero issues with picking up the flag. Only had one instance where the NX9 gave me the wrong distance on the first shot but I was also 220 out and chalk that up to my own personal steadiness.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 7/15/2019 at 7:29 AM, MDGolfHacker said:

Great stage 1!  So it looks like there are 3 lefties testing the NX9 HDs? 👍

MDGolfHacker

Wow, didn't even know that had a left hand model!!!

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Looking forward to my league round on Thursday! It will be my first real action with the NX9 HD on course.

As long as the rain moves through in the AM and doesn’t hang around I’ll update you guys with some on course comparisons to the Leupold GX-3i2.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Are you guys going to be stepping off any of the yardage to verify the NX9 and whatever you're putting it against actually has the correct yardage? Obviously not on a 500 yard measurement but say 100 yards or so? Maybe going onto a football field to measure off yardage.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Not sure if this has been covered but a couple of weather related tests: for and light drizzle would be great. . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

54 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

Are you guys going to be stepping off any of the yardage to verify the NX9 and whatever you're putting it against actually has the correct yardage? Obviously not on a 500 yard measurement but say 100 yards or so? Maybe going onto a football field to measure off yardage.

I should be able to get myself down to the football field if its open, good idea! 

42 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I should be able to get myself down to the football field if its open, good idea! 

Our football field has been torn up to install new artificial turf so I'll rely on you for this one 😉

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Our football field has been torn up to install new artificial turf so I'll rely on you for this one 😉

Just say you're there to officially make sure the yard markers are set up correctly once they start going in 🤣

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

One quick update from me: like @perseveringgolfer, it hasn't taken long for the spring in the carabiner on my case to break as well. For me, it was my son (my other son, not Kirke) who was playing with the case. Not sure what he did, and so I certainly can't blame Precision Pro for this one.

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Been trying to figure out where i can compare to a "calibrated" or set distance. So far been comparing distance between my old bushnell and the new Precision Pro

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

One quick update from me: like [mention=76917]perseveringgolfer[/mention], it hasn't taken long for the spring in the carabiner on my case to break as well. For me, it was my son (my other son, not Kirke) who was playing with the case. Not sure what he did, and so I certainly can't blame Precision Pro for this one.

Mine seems to have a lot of side to side play so I do worry about the durability of that part. I will likely just end up putting a more robust carabiner on there if I use the case vs a zippered pocket in my bag.

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Not sure if this has been covered but a couple of weather related tests: for and light drizzle would be great. . 

Somebody else going to have to test for this one, lucky if its below 100 degrees here 😀

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

The PP NX9 is quick! Compared to an older rangefinder, this one acquires a yardage much faster. I can appreciate that since i prefer to shoot a flag 2-3x.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

15 hours ago, poprocksncoke said:

Somebody else going to have to test for this one, lucky if its below 100 degrees here 😀

Maybe a trip to PNW - it's always raining there! 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

29 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

The PP NX9 is quick! Compared to an older rangefinder, this one acquires a yardage much faster. I can appreciate that since i prefer to shoot a flag 2-3x.

Interestingly, my NX7 Pro acquires the target before I can steady my hand. Yes it is fast and you don't have to aim precisely with a steady hand like the cheapo ebay one I had previously. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

How Strong is the magnet??? Quite strong! Check out the video. I am driving on the fairway (bc why would i drive the ball in the rough 😉). It does still hold on while driving over roots and through bumpy terrain!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

Stage 1 updated with pics and video! NX9 was waiting on my porch last  night when I got home. Hope I can get to the range tomorrow to test it out!

:titelist-small: TS2 - 9.0 

Callaway Rouge Max LS

:titelist-small: Ts2 - 3 Wood

:titelist-small: TS2 - 7 Wood

:titelist-small: AP1 716 - 6i - Wedge

:titelist-small: Vokey Wedges

Clevland Huntington Beach 1 Putter

Hey Guys,

Just a few notes and findings so far from my mixed use of both the NX9 HD and my older Leupold.  So far I am really liking the NX9 HD.  I have a lot of positives with it and only a few minor complaints, and they really boil down to my personal preferences, and I think both could be solved with software updates.

NX9 HD Pros:

• Loving the slope feature, which I never thought I would like.  I can see this being of particular value when I head to a new course.
  • Accuracy has been great so far.  every time I have tested against my Leupold I have gotten basically the same readings.  The NX9 HD will give me something like 55 or 56 yards and Ill get 55.6 on the Leupold.  I haven't been in a situation yet where I have been unable to confidently get the flag within 2 or 3 presses.
  • The viewfinder is nice, big, and bright.  the extra level of magnification shows the same image in both eye pieces, but the larger viewfinder overall in the NX9 HD means the picture I see is bigger.  This also helps in targeting.
  • While I probably still prefer the red readout on the Leupold, the black display has been easily legible for me, and will probably hold up better long term.
Here are two quick pics of my tee shot on the 6th hole at Shining Rock last week and my view of that green through the viewfinder.  Hopefully that gives you a little indication of just how awesome the 7X magnification really is.

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

NX9 HD Cons: 

• I REALLY like the "Scan" mode on the leupold as my main targeting mode.  This works differently than most rangefinders where you *press* to turn on and *press* again to target.  While this works great most of the time, occasionaly you get get the distance to the trees behind or something else (I'm talking about ALL rangefinders here, not just the NX9 HD).  The way Scan mode works on my leupold is like this: *Press* to turn on and *Press and Hold* to scan.  I start to the left of the flag and start scanning, this gives me the distance to whatever I'm pointing to.  Then while still holding the button down I go left and right over the flag, I'll see the yardage drop and know I've got the distance to the flag.  This mode works by displaying the *shortest* distance you've ranged.  I guess I prefer this way since I can see the change and am not relying on a beep or buzz to be told that the flag has been captured (I'll post an update after my round on Thursday with a video showing to the two modes if anyone is interested or if I have not explained it well).
    • It's not that this is needed, as the NX9 HD is fast enough I can get the distance to the trees in the background and then to the flag 5 times if I want without holding anything up.
  • Second con is how easily the MODE button can be engaged.  If the button were on the side of the unit this might not be an issue, but I've hit the MODE button a few times accidentally and switched between slope and non-slope.  For me this has no real consequence, but if you were in a tournament and ended up getting disqualified because you accidentally hit the button and turned on slope this could be really bad.
    • For this I think reprogramming the software to require a press and hold to engage the mode selections (much like they do for yards/meters) would be ideal.  You could *Press and hold for 3 seconds* to engage the mode features and then press to cycle through 1. Slope and Yards 2. No Slope and Yards 3. Slope and meters and 4. No Slope Meters.  Then do another *Press and hold for 3 seconds* to save changes.
Well sorry for all the words there, while it looks like I have a lot of cons I really don't.  I have been really enjoying the upgraded features and specs put into the NX9 HD, and think it really could be perfect with those few software tweaks as the hardware has been nothing short of impressive so far!

Let me know if anyone thinks I'm crazy or if you've run into similar issues as well! 

On 7/17/2019 at 3:49 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

One quick update from me: like @perseveringgolfer, it hasn't taken long for the spring in the carabiner on my case to break as well. For me, it was my son (my other son, not Kirke) who was playing with the case. Not sure what he did, and so I certainly can't blame Precision Pro for this one.

Give Precision Pro a call.  I had some major concerns with the carabineer when I tested the NX-7 Pro last year and they sent me a replacement case with a stronger carabineer.  I wouldn't go mountain climbing with it, but no worries for holding the case onto my golf bag.  Great customer service!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

25 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Hey Guys,

Just a few notes and findings so far from my mixed use of both the NX9 HD and my older Leupold.  So far I am really liking the NX9 HD.  I have a lot of positives with it and only a few minor complaints, and they really boil down to my personal preferences, and I think both could be solved with software updates.

NX9 HD Pros:

• Loving the slope feature, which I never thought I would like.  I can see this being of particular value when I head to a new course.
  • Accuracy has been great so far.  every time I have tested against my Leupold I have gotten basically the same readings.  The NX9 HD will give me something like 55 or 56 yards and Ill get 55.6 on the Leupold.  I haven't been in a situation yet where I have been unable to confidently get the flag within 2 or 3 presses.
  • The viewfinder is nice, big, and bright.  the extra level of magnification shows the same image in both eye pieces, but the larger viewfinder overall in the NX9 HD means the picture I see is bigger.  This also helps in targeting.
  • While I probably still prefer the red readout on the Leupold, the black display has been easily legible for me, and will probably hold up better long term.

Here are two quick pics of my tee shot on the 6th hole at Shining Rock last week and my view of that green through the viewfinder.  Hopefully that gives you a little indication of just how awesome the 7X magnification really is.

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

NX9 HD Cons: 

• I REALLY like the "Scan" mode on the leupold as my main targeting mode.  This works differently than most rangefinders where you *press* to turn on and *press* again to target.  While this works great most of the time, occasionaly you get get the distance to the trees behind or something else (I'm talking about ALL rangefinders here, not just the NX9 HD).  The way Scan mode works on my leupold is like this: *Press* to turn on and *Press and Hold* to scan.  I start to the left of the flag and start scanning, this gives me the distance to whatever I'm pointing to.  Then while still holding the button down I go left and right over the flag, I'll see the yardage drop and know I've got the distance to the flag.  This mode works by displaying the *shortest* distance you've ranged.  I guess I prefer this way since I can see the change and am not relying on a beep or buzz to be told that the flag has been captured (I'll post an update after my round on Thursday with a video showing to the two modes if anyone is interested or if I have not explained it well).
    • It's not that this is needed, as the NX9 HD is fast enough I can get the distance to the trees in the background and then to the flag 5 times if I want without holding anything up.
  • Second con is how easily the MODE button can be engaged.  If the button were on the side of the unit this might not be an issue, but I've hit the MODE button a few times accidentally and switched between slope and non-slope.  For me this has no real consequence, but if you were in a tournament and ended up getting disqualified because you accidentally hit the button and turned on slope this could be really bad.
    • For this I think reprogramming the software to require a press and hold to engage the mode selections (much like they do for yards/meters) would be ideal.  You could *Press and hold for 3 seconds* to engage the mode features and then press to cycle through 1. Slope and Yards 2. No Slope and Yards 3. Slope and meters and 4. No Slope Meters.  Then do another *Press and hold for 3 seconds* to save changes.

Well sorry for all the words there, while it looks like I have a lot of cons I really don't.  I have been really enjoying the upgraded features and specs put into the NX9 HD, and think it really could be perfect with those few software tweaks as the hardware has been nothing short of impressive so far!

Let me know if anyone thinks I'm crazy or if you've run into similar issues as well! 

I don't think these units can be reprogrammed out in the field.  Maybe good suggestions for the next version. 

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: