Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

...you can pick up a heavy-duty carabiner at homedepot for about 5 bucks.... the one I had for my NX7 bit it pretty quickly but I didn't bother to mention anything about it since I didn't even expect it to be included.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

After hearing about issues with the carabiner I haven't even used it yet. I either stick it on the cart or if I'm walking I have it the NX9 in the case inside a zippered pocket. I should invest in a decent carabiner, however. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Hey Guys,
Just a few notes and findings so far from my mixed use of both the NX9 HD and my older Leupold.  So far I am really liking the NX9 HD.  I have a lot of positives with it and only a few minor complaints, and they really boil down to my personal preferences, and I think both could be solved with software updates.
NX9 HD Pros:

• Loving the slope feature, which I never thought I would like.  I can see this being of particular value when I head to a new course.
  • Accuracy has been great so far.  every time I have tested against my Leupold I have gotten basically the same readings.  The NX9 HD will give me something like 55 or 56 yards and Ill get 55.6 on the Leupold.  I haven't been in a situation yet where I have been unable to confidently get the flag within 2 or 3 presses.
  • The viewfinder is nice, big, and bright.  the extra level of magnification shows the same image in both eye pieces, but the larger viewfinder overall in the NX9 HD means the picture I see is bigger.  This also helps in targeting.
  • While I probably still prefer the red readout on the Leupold, the black display has been easily legible for me, and will probably hold up better long term.
Here are two quick pics of my tee shot on the 6th hole at Shining Rock last week and my view of that green through the viewfinder.  Hopefully that gives you a little indication of just how awesome the 7X magnification really is.  
IMG_5468.thumb.jpg.ac5d9e5de53dac14b8104fe1b5361448.jpg

IMG_5470.thumb.jpg.2fcf53a99f9dcb4b0cb0aa8d85a3e65b.jpg

NX9 HD Cons: 

• I REALLY like the "Scan" mode on the leupold as my main targeting mode.  This works differently than most rangefinders where you *press* to turn on and *press* again to target.  While this works great most of the time, occasionaly you get get the distance to the trees behind or something else (I'm talking about ALL rangefinders here, not just the NX9 HD).  The way Scan mode works on my leupold is like this: *Press* to turn on and *Press and Hold* to scan.  I start to the left of the flag and start scanning, this gives me the distance to whatever I'm pointing to.  Then while still holding the button down I go left and right over the flag, I'll see the yardage drop and know I've got the distance to the flag.  This mode works by displaying the *shortest* distance you've ranged.  I guess I prefer this way since I can see the change and am not relying on a beep or buzz to be told that the flag has been captured (I'll post an update after my round on Thursday with a video showing to the two modes if anyone is interested or if I have not explained it well).
    • It's not that this is needed, as the NX9 HD is fast enough I can get the distance to the trees in the background and then to the flag 5 times if I want without holding anything up.
  • Second con is how easily the MODE button can be engaged.  If the button were on the side of the unit this might not be an issue, but I've hit the MODE button a few times accidentally and switched between slope and non-slope.  For me this has no real consequence, but if you were in a tournament and ended up getting disqualified because you accidentally hit the button and turned on slope this could be really bad.
    • For this I think reprogramming the software to require a press and hold to engage the mode selections (much like they do for yards/meters) would be ideal.  You could *Press and hold for 3 seconds* to engage the mode features and then press to cycle through 1. Slope and Yards 2. No Slope and Yards 3. Slope and meters and 4. No Slope Meters.  Then do another *Press and hold for 3 seconds* to save changes.
Well sorry for all the words there, while it looks like I have a lot of cons I really don't.  I have been really enjoying the upgraded features and specs put into the NX9 HD, and think it really could be perfect with those few software tweaks as the hardware has been nothing short of impressive so far! Let me know if anyone thinks I'm crazy or if you've run into similar issues as well! 

Great pros and cons - but I gotta ask how in the world did you get a pic of the display?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Great pros and cons - but I gotta ask how in the world did you get a pic of the display?

Verrrrrry steadddy hands. Haha

I’ve also started using this. I call it the “official NX9 HD tester thingy I stole from my
Kids bath toys”. It’s almost a perfect
Match for color but more
Importantly it’s at a good thickness for a focal length between the iPhone camera and the viewfinder.

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

I am working on something a bit smaller too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Awesome! Just curious do your kids know it's missing? 😂

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Awesome! Just curious do your kids know it's missing? 

Not yet! I’m sure it will be the end of the world when they find out its missing. But at least the 0 and O looks the same in the set.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On the mounting front: this morning, I ordered a set of magnets with double-sided tape from Amazon ($7):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GF4D22M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll let everyone know how well they work as a way of mounting the NX9 to my pushcart. I've been thoroughly impressed with the magnet on the NX9. I've hit some jarring bumps on the course in a cart, and it stays mounted. I wouldn't have believed it without seeing it, but the magnet is a great idea that makes the NX9 incredibly accessible during the round.

I'll add: for me, this is a big deal. Any piece of on-course tech needs to be as transparent in usage as possible. I've posted in my other thread that I gave up using my phone for shot tracking because I played worse using it, fiddling with shot placement and whether the ball was on the green etc. The same principle applies here: anything that streamlines the process of grabbing this device and getting the yardage makes it far more valuable.

As small a thing as it is, the magnet does that.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

On 7/23/2019 at 9:48 PM, B.Boston said:

Verrrrrry steadddy hands. Haha

I’ve also started using this. I call it the “official NX9 HD tester thingy I stole from my
Kids bath toys”. It’s almost a perfect
Match for color but more
Importantly it’s at a good thickness for a focal length between the iPhone camera and the viewfinder.

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

I am working on something a bit smaller too.

OK I think I need one of those green donut thingies too! I tried for a good 15 minutes last night to take pictures through the viewfinder with my phone and I just couldn't get it to work. I'm going to have to bring a tripod and my wife's DSLR I guess to make it work.

OK I think I need one of those green donut thingies too! I tried for a good 15 minutes last night to take pictures through the viewfinder with my phone and I just couldn't get it to work. I'm going to have to bring a tripod and my wife's DSLR I guess to make it work.

Yeah you need some space between the end of the viewfinder and your camera lens for it to work.

I will say
I’m not sure how well a DLSR will work... the lens may be too big to get a good image or you may have to crop it a lot.

I got a few more yesterday, so far the black readout has been plenty legible!

IMG_5554.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

OK guys, I did it again. Getting my stuff together for last night's league round, pulled my case out of my bag (it's in a pocket until I replace the carabiner)—and the case is empty. Once again, I had left it magnetized to the cart I had taken earlier this week. Once again, it was found and turned in to the pro shop.

Am I alone in having this problem? I walk most of my rounds, so I don't have this problem then. But when I cart, I put the NX9 on the upright of the cart with the magnet. It's awesomely accessible. But I finish the round, and I'm looking in the cupholders and bins and such in the cart to make sure I have everything, and I keep overlooking the NX9.

To be honest, I wasn't too keen on the bright green color, but in hindsight, I'm thinking they should make the whole thing blaze orange for the sake of people like me.

Full WITB with pictures

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

OK guys, I did it again. Getting my stuff together for last night's league round, pulled my case out of my bag (it's in a pocket until I replace the carabiner)—and the case is empty. Once again, I had left it magnetized to the cart I had taken earlier this week. Once again, it was found and turned in to the pro shop.

Am I alone in having this problem? I walk most of my rounds, so I don't have this problem then. But when I cart, I put the NX9 on the upright of the cart with the magnet. It's awesomely accessible. But I finish the round, and I'm looking in the cupholders and bins and such in the cart to make sure I have everything, and I keep overlooking the NX9.

To be honest, I wasn't too keen on the bright green color, but in hindsight, I'm thinking they should make the whole thing blaze orange for the sake of people like me.

While I haven't left it on the cart because I usually put it away after my last approach shot for the day (my glove too if its on the green), I have had a few heart attack moments driving thinking it had fallen off even though it was still there.  For the most part it rides in a cup holder.  I have no reason NOT to trust the magnet... but knowing its hanging out on the side like that still makes me nervous!

I've let it hang by the magnet on the bar next to the windshield for 3 rounds now for all 18 holes and had no problems with it falling off. And I drove through some ROUGH patches getting my ball out of the woods. This was my biggest 'ah ha' moment for this product as odd as it seems. The magnet is legit.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

surprisingly enough I have yet to forget mine attached to the cart! 🤣

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Video credit to @Kirke:

Full WITB with pictures

With these rangefinders being primarily used in warmer weather, I wonder if the magnet will lose it's strength over time.  Especially if it's kept in a hot garage.  Had to go back to my old school science class to make sure I was at least on the right track with this question.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

@GolfSpy MPR I can be very absent-minded as well (I once abandoned a round after 6 holes because I never zippered my ball pocket and lost my keys as a result) so what I do is leave the empty Precision Pro case in the cart if I'm riding. This way when I'm cleaning all of my tees & balls out back at my car, I know to grab the case and put the NX9 back in it, if I haven't already. 

As far as the magnet, I've got 3 rounds of 9 in so far riding (we're walking today) and that thing does not budge. Like, AT ALL. And I've done some pretty serious offroading the past few rounds with how my driver's been!!

Today was the first time I had a bit of an issue with the NX9 locking on properly. We were on a par 4 and my son wanted to shoot his distance (he gets a kick out of using it) and he told me he had 98 yards to the flag. I told him that was way too far and to do it again. He kept saying 98 so I took over and I also shot a 98. In reality the flag was 63 yards away and the trees behind the green weren't too thick. But even with what seemed like the bulls eye right on the flag, the NX9 kept picking up the trees. Same with the flagstick itself. 

Every other time I used it today, it was dead on. I also had to keep switching slope mode back on because my 13yo was constantly hitting the function button by accident. It would be nice to see it take a bit longer to switch modes so if you accidentally hit the mode button by mistake, it doesn't switch out of slope right away.  

Today was the first time I had a bit of an issue with the NX9 locking on properly. We were on a par 4 and my son wanted to shoot his distance (he gets a kick out of using it) and he told me he had 98 yards to the flag. I told him that was way too far and to do it again. He kept saying 98 so I took over and I also shot a 98. In reality the flag was 63 yards away and the trees behind the green weren't too thick. But even with what seemed like the bulls eye right on the flag, the NX9 kept picking up the trees. Same with the flagstick itself. 
Every other time I used it today, it was dead on. I also had to keep switching slope mode back on because my 13yo was constantly hitting the function button by accident. It would be nice to see it take a bit longer to switch modes so if you accidentally hit the mode button by mistake, it doesn't switch out of slope right away.  

Wonder if the flagsticks had reflectors on them? After almost a year or use I have yet to have that problem but then we do have reflectors so I pick up the flagstick even when it's close to trees.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

9 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Wonder if the flagsticks had reflectors on them? After almost a year or use I have yet to have that problem but then we do have reflectors so I pick up the flagstick even when it's close to trees.

Don't believe so, however I've lasered that pin before with no issues. Maybe it was the angle, maybe it was just a random occurrence. At most I've had to laser a pin 3x. Usually the 3rd time is just a "let's play it safe" thing. In my comparisons to my watch and apps, it's been dead on distance-wise, so no complaints there at all. 

Just a quick tease, I’m putting together a short comparison post between the GX-3i2 and the NX9 HD!

03762503-03D0-44F0-A89E-61557A2E03EC.jpg

Who wins the look and feel?!

Who is more accurate?!

Who has better optics?!

Tune in later to find out!

played today with no caribiner so had to keep getting it out the bag and out the case- bit of a fuffle doing it in the rain.

I'm definitley struggling with lasering the flag when it's totally limp, I have to do it numerous times as I'm not convinced I didnt laser the tree or mound behind the green. One hole today I had 3 different yardages so I was missing the flag, I dont have shaky hands but it is shaky when trying to hold steady, I even hold my breath.

I think I need to use the gps as well just to affirm which yardage is 'closest' to the gps middle green yardage.

I think I need to carry a surveyors tripod to mount it on for accuracy😂😂📹🔭🔭

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

played today with no caribiner so had to keep getting it out the bag and out the case- bit of a fuffle doing it in the rain.
I'm definitley struggling with lasering the flag when it's totally limp, I have to do it numerous times as I'm not convinced I didnt laser the tree or mound behind the green. One hole today I had 3 different yardages so I was missing the flag, I dont have shaky hands but it is shaky when trying to hold steady, I even hold my breath.
I think I need to use the gps as well just to affirm which yardage is 'closest' to the gps middle green yardage.
I think I need to carry a surveyors tripod to mount it on for accuracy

That’s probably the only downside of the extra level of magnification (7x) versus a lot of others using 6x or less. Every little movement is magnified.

However, I have not had any issues to date. I did see on Precision Pro’s website once you press the button to move it side to side over the target. From what I understand these sort out short and long distances and pick the shortest as the flag or target.

Also, the rain could be at fault here. Fog/rain to cause every rangefinder I’ve used to get tricked and give false readings. Using GPS as a piggy back during adverse conditions is a great idea.

58 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I did see on Precision Pro’s website once you press the button to move it side to side over the target. From what I understand these sort out short and long distances and pick the shortest as the flag or target.

That's interesting. So if you fire at the flag them move it left and right past the flag it will give one distance? Does the vibration mean its locked on the closest object I wonder? I need to continue the testing this week.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

That's interesting. So if you fire at the flag them move it left and right past the flag it will give one distance? Does the vibration mean its locked on the closest object I wonder? I need to continue the testing this week.

That’s how it’s always been described to me.

Here is the video from Precision Pro:

I too also played today. Used it the whole round and mounted it to my cart. Magnet is still going great. Easy to grab and shoot as i jump out of the cart at my ball. Rarely hitting much past the flag. Shot my best round of the Summer today (82) and felt very comfortable with the yardages.

I would 2nd the idea that with greater magnification comes a greater 'shakey' feeling. All movements are magnified.

Still really enjoying the rangefinder more than I expected. Time will tell on its durability but I've had no concerns at this point.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Alright, here we go!

The Newcomer: Precision Pro NX9 HD
The Defending Champ: Leupold GX-3i2

Who will win and be crowned champion for the remainder of the 2019 season and beyond!? Let’s get this battle started!

03762503-03D0-44F0-A89E-61557A2E03EC.jpg

Tale of the Tape:

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

As we can see the GX-3i2 has the advantage in # of reticles and also in having a fog mode. Fog mode displays the distance to the furthest object so its not as useful, and I’d likely just use a GPS to the middle if I couldnt get a read. For the reticle I used the Leupolds that looks most similar to the NX9 HD, so no real life advantage there either.

Size and weight both are very close. I weighed both and they are within .3oz of each other. They both feel solid and have good quality build materials.

For the NX9 HD we have an extra level of magnification and also comes with Slope. These two specs give it the edge in this round!

Here is a photo of my neighbors broken down truck with both. I hope that you will be able to see the difference in magnification. The field of view ends up being the same, but the actually viewfinder is a much larger aperature in the NX9 HD, making the image you see that much bigger and easier to target.

Leupold:
IMG_5457.jpg

NX9 HD:
IMG_5460.jpg

Winner: NX9 HD

Accuracy Test:

For this test I targeted two different yardages multiple times each for a short target and an intermediate target. Below is a summary of the tests.

IMG_5553.jpg

As you can see Both the Leupold and NX9 HD performed extrememly consistently. Leupold measures down to the tenth of a yard so that is shown. Interesting to note is that the NX9 HD showed one more yard on the intermedate test. Which is correct, I don’t know, but I can note that when I’ve been playing with folks using Bushnell or other rangefinders my Leupold was always 1-2 yards shorter than some of those. Neither number changes my approach, and consistency is great so both pass with flying colors.

Winner: DRAW

On Course Test:

I used both on course for 2 rounds alternating holes. A few things became redily apparant.
1. I love having slope, especially on an unfamiliar course.
2. I liked the larger aperature and extra magnifcation on the NX9 HD more than I missed the red lit display of the GX-3i2.
3. I like the case and magnet better on the NX9 HD than the case that was provided by Leupold.

Winner: NX9 HD.

Overall Winner: NX9 HD!

While I still have some more testing to do, so far I have seen no reason to not consider the NX9 HD a significant upgrade to my old GX-3i2.

IMG_5557.jpg

That’s all for today, Let me know if you guys have any other testing ideas. I’m still going to try to get to a football field or something where I have actual measured targets to compare to.

Thanks guys, hope you enjoied this heavyweight bout!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 📹😍

/humble brag post of the day 😂

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 

/humble brag post of the day 

1. I hate you.
2. You’re a jerk.
3. Have a blast and enjoy that round!

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 

/humble brag post of the day 

Selfie pics or it didn't happen

Left Hand orientation