TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

8 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 📹😍

/humble brag post of the day 😂

aaahhh man sorry i couldn't make it on such short term notice. Next time i'm in 😉

Thats awesome though, hit em straight!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 

/humble brag post of the day 

IMG_5605.gif

How’d it go?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

@perseveringgolfer very cool! sounds like you had a great day out there! I was lucky enough to go out there a few years ago and walk a few holes (wasn't able to play) during a freezing cold of November. Such an awesome course. It looks beautiful right now from your pictures. One day i'll get back there to play. In the mean time, i'll live vicariously through you.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

@perseveringgolfer unreal!  Looks like it was a perfect day.  I'd imagine 15 mph is slow winds for them! thanks for sharing.

I'm totally with @Shankster on taking out a window on that tee shot! haha *don't go right* *don't go right* THWACK *goes right*

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Haven't weighed in here in a bit with my thoughts on the range finder, other than noting my predilection for losing the thing.

Here's my TL;DR: I use the NX9 HD all the time. This, for me, is the best measure of a range finding device: is its use so unobtrusive that it can be incorporated into the round without thought and without delay? For the @PrecisionProGolf NX9 HD, the answer is yes.

I have the slope feature turned on all the time. I don't know exactly how to objectively evaluate it, but it has become another useful piece of data as I prepare to hit a shot. For the most part, I grab the range finder, hit the button, and I'm looking at the upper right distance (the slope number) and almost ignoring the actual number.

As some others have mentioned, the 7x zoom does introduce a bit of shake, but it's still light years better than the budget range finder that it's replacing, and the high zoom comes in handy on those holes where spotting the flag is a challenge (blue flag against trees).

Every so often, the NX9 picks up a background tree instead of the flag, but it is rare. I've been enormously impressed with the speed and accuracy of its ability to lock on to the target I actually want.

Other than the positioning of the mode button (which a few of us have noted already) and the replacement of the included carabiner with something more sturdy, it's hard to come up with a meaningful way to improve this device. It's earned its spot in my bag.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'm with @GolfSpy MPR when it comes to the slope; I never look at the actual yardage. Always adjusted for slope. On some holes it's a yard or two but I've had more than a few distances that were 10-12 yards different. That's a whole club, plus some depending on where I am in the fairway (or not). Love that feature.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm using mine for pretty much every 2nd shot now, only time I don't is a blind shot over a hill or dogleg.

I still havent used it for bunkers and hazards (penalty areas) but I think it's becoming the essential accessory for me now......and I dont have to remember to charge it up, unlike my gps watch.

I played with a guy yesterday who was lasering the pin from about 10 yds away! Don't think I'll ever do that! theres some distances that your eyes and brain are more suited for.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I played with a guy yesterday who was lasering the pin from about 10 yds away!

That's a little crazy, might as well be using it on the putting surface as well.

I typically just use my NX7 Pro for my approach shots and on par-3's. I use GPS for fairway bunkers / hazards.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Has anyone done any testing from where we shouldn't be hitting tee shots?  Sometimes my Nikon has issues sometimes if I'm trying to get yardages when I'm having to go under tree limbs or something like that.  I have to make sure I find a good hole, and sometimes walk out to get the yardage.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Has anyone done any testing from where we shouldn't be hitting tee shots?  Sometimes my Nikon has issues sometimes if I'm trying to get yardages when I'm having to go under tree limbs or something like that.  I have to make sure I find a good hole, and sometimes walk out to get the yardage.

I’ve found that with a little practice you’ll see how much space you need around your target to hit it. There is a hole that I play where you are hitting up hill and I know I need to aim above the flag with the flag all in the lower half of the cross hair to not get the hill.

There will always be limitations though since the software is looking for the closest reading in the ranged area.

I played another round with the NX9 HD yesterday and got to test it’s effective range a bit. This is a short par 4 at shining rock (the 17th).

IMG_5796.jpg

Playing from the white tee box I was easily
Able to pick up the flag at 268 yards. This is where the 7x magnification can really help.

IMG_5784.jpg

And not-so-humble brag it’s also the first time that I have carried the front bunker and landed on the green. The course was really soft from a lot of rain Wednesday so my drive landed very soft and settled up about 12 feet from the pin which made for a very easy two putt birdie!

IMG_5785.jpg

I got a lot of use out of my NX9 today over 18 holes, for the most part it was stellar. However, I had another hole this round where I shot the flag from 182 out and after shooting it 5 times, I had 5 different yardages. While I love the magnification that makes it so easy to find the pin or hazard, when you're over 150 out it can be very difficult to get a proper read sometimes. The further out you are, the more the slightest movement can make you mis-trigger a shot. 

going to have to agree with @russtopherb. I played this weekend as well and would pick up trees and bushes behind the green quite a bit. A bittersweet feature but can be annoying if you play in a heavily wooded course. I did compare this issue with my old Bushnell V2 Tour and the Bushnell would grab the flag before anything else. Does it happen all the time, NO. But its that 1 or 2x per round when youve lined up perfectly with some trees behind the flag. 

Still a great product but just some minor annoyances like anything.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

So for the other reviewers: how often are you using the NX9 for shots within 100 yards?

This is something I'm doing more and more often, especially in conjunction with nailing down some partial wedge feels with my SkyTrak. Again, for me, this is where the NX9 really shines: I can grab a yardage very quickly, and then step knowing I'm trying to hit a (for instance) 46 yard shot. I'm certainly not awesome at this yet, but the combination has me trending the right direction (and Game Golf agrees).

Full WITB with pictures

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So for the other reviewers: how often are you using the NX9 for shots within 100 yards?

This is something I'm doing more and more often, especially in conjunction with nailing down some partial wedge feels with my SkyTrak. Again, for me, this is where the NX9 really shines: I can grab a yardage very quickly, and then step knowing I'm trying to hit a (for instance) 46 yard shot. I'm certainly not awesome at this yet, but the combination has me trending the right direction (and Game Golf agrees).

I typically do not use a rangefinder for anything under 100yds. More specifically when i KNOW i am under 100yds (partial wedge shots). To me, those are more of a feel shot. Maybe i should be shooting the flag to know if its a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 wedge....

The PP NX9 will very easily tag the flag from that close.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll use it pretty must all the way up to the green on approach shots.  I've hit flags around 30 yards before.  It's actually kind of crazy how a little uphill or downhill lie can make that 30 seem like 20 or 40 yards.  Lots of stuff can play tricks on your eyes.

Once I'm green side its more of me picking a spot I want to land it and I rely much more on feel.

I should also note that like you I've been trying to lock down some swing feelings for partial wedge shots, so knowing how far those carry plus how far I am on those less than 100 yard shots is hopefully going to be the next key to shooting lower scores for me.  I'm still far too reliant on using my 54 and 58 on anything inside of 100 yards, but the past few range sessions I've been working on those all the way down to my 8 iron to look for some more consistency.

3 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

I typically do not use a rangefinder for anything under 100yds. More specifically when i KNOW i am under 100yds (partial wedge shots). To me, those are more of a feel shot. Maybe i should be shooting the flag to know if its a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 wedge....

The PP NX9 will very easily tag the flag from that close.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been working to implement in my game. It's still a work in progress, but going forward, I'm at least going to try to nail down the swings you mentioned above (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full) for both my 54° and 60° wedges. I'm toying with adding a Cleveland CBX PW and GW to my bag (replacing my G700 PW and GW) and adding them to my wedge matrix yardages.

Obviously, it doesn't always work, but lasering a flag at 62 yards and knowing that you have a stock shot to hit that number is confidence-building at address, and we all know that confidence is a big part of this game.

Full WITB with pictures

@GolfSpy MPR I went ahead and dropped my 56 wedge (which i used to use for EVERYTHING) from my bag and only carry a 52 & 60 now. The 52, for me, will go no more than 105 on a full swing. From there i know the feel all my pitches of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. Then around the green if i need to land it soft i use the 60 but if i need it to roll out i'll go 52. Same for bunker play.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I use my NX9 Pro from second shot in, except for Par 3's where I always measure from the Tee box. 

100 yds. in?  I've created a table for the different yardages on my wedge shots. So I know which wedge and the swing (full/1/2, etc) to use.  Using the LRF and the 'cheat sheet' has dramatically improved by short game. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

under 100yds I use my eyes.

Used it today in wind and rain, had to shoot it loads of times as targetting the pin was very very hard, first its 165 then 120, then 187 then 174.........man it's tough in the wind on top of my shaky hands.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

3 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

under 100yds I use my eyes.

Used it today in wind and rain, had to shoot it loads of times as targetting the pin was very very hard, first its 165 then 120, then 187 then 174.........man it's tough in the wind on top of my shaky hands.

Don't beat yourself up... likely the rain more than the shaky hands that were messing you up.  those little water droplets do not do wonders for lasers reflecting back 🙂 

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I absolutely have been using mine on approach shots. Knowing my yardage has really helped start dialing in wedge distances. Hasn't shown up in the scores yet but I'm a getting a lot better at knowing which wedge to pull and how much of a swing to take.

Don't beat yourself up... likely the rain more than the shaky hands that were messing you up.  those little water droplets do not do wonders for lasers reflecting back  

Haven't used it on a rainy day. But the other night while out playing , a sprinkler popped up in the fairway. My NX7 Pro shot through the water from the sprinkler with no problem.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Have had the issue of picking up trees behind the hole but it is easy to refocus and get the target.  

Right now using it within 100 yards, once the newness wears off will most likely only use it if I'm unsure about the yardage from that distance.  

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

So I mentioned in my opening post here that the NX9 HD would be replacing a very cheap, generic laser range finder. Going in, I honestly wasn't sure how much difference there really would be between the sub-$100 device and the more expensive device.

There is a difference.

And it's not just the obvious one: the slope feature. Yesterday, I got word that my NX9 HD was needed at the MGS home office, so I boxed it up and sent it away. <sniffle>

So for my league match last night, I pulled out the old range finder. Yikes. Lots of yikeses. The accuracy was fine on a clear shot; I have a hunch that that part of the tech is pretty universal across all the range finders. But actually shooting the flag? What a pain!

I know that from time to time, we who are using the NX9 will note that it doesn't always grab the flag on the first try, especially in tricky conditions (rain or lots of trees). But the cheap rangefinder really struggles, to the point that on certain shots, getting the yardage almost adds more doubt into your plan than it removes.

After one round, I already miss my NX9, and am eagerly awaiting its return.

Full WITB with pictures

So I'm just going to repeat my last post here: I miss my NX9. Last night's league match, I hit a nice 260-yard drive on a 320 yard uphill par 4. Grabbed my old rangefinder and tried to shoot the flag maybe a dozen times. Half the time, it was giving me a number in the mid-90s, which had to be the trees behind the hole. The other times, it was a number in the 70s, which seemed long for where I was relative to the yardage stakes.

For context, just before I left for league, I was drilling on partial wedge shots with SkyTrak. I was feeling really confident that I had swings for specific yardages.

Ended up guessing the yardage (which should have been around 65, not counting the upslope). Came up short, bad chip, made bogey.

Underrated downside of a bad rangefinder: by being untrustworthy, it actually adds uncertainty as you set up over a shot. It's like having a caddie say, "Well, I don't think this is a good idea, but...."

Looking forward to getting my @PrecisionProGolf device back in my bag. A lot.

Full WITB with pictures

Fun little factoid for anyone out there on the fence between the NX9 HD and the NX7 line of rangefinders....

IMG_5465.JPG

My league partner has an NX7 so took some time to play around with the NX9 HD. I filled him in on what Precision Pro was trying to accomplish wit the NX9 HD and before I could finish talking about that “Bigger, Brighter, Faster” line he targeted a flag and said: “Holy Sh*t that’s fast.”

In the 2 rounds we played together since he only used his rangefinder when he had to.

IMG_5560.JPG

The NX9 HD has been a really solid device and proved to me to be a significant upgrade over the already well reviewed NX7 series of rangefinders as well as my slightly older, but still premium Leupold GX3i2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have HD envy since I only have a NX-7 Pro. Although my wife did say the other day - we really need 2 LRF's since both of us play in leagues on the same day. Maybe............there's one in my future?????

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation