TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

On 7/28/2019 at 12:33 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

That's interesting. So if you fire at the flag them move it left and right past the flag it will give one distance? Does the vibration mean its locked on the closest object I wonder? I need to continue the testing this week.

I have the NX7 Pro and moving side to side to detect the closest object (usually the flag) is the recommended way to get an accurate flag reading.  In rain or foggy/misty conditions, the water droplets suspended in the air can produce false distance readings.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

On 8/8/2019 at 10:46 PM, goaliewales14 said:

Has anyone done any testing from where we shouldn't be hitting tee shots?  Sometimes my Nikon has issues sometimes if I'm trying to get yardages when I'm having to go under tree limbs or something like that.  I have to make sure I find a good hole, and sometimes walk out to get the yardage.

On a lot of these range finders, it's an area around the reticle cross hairs that is active for distance measurement.  I know when there is a mound or only a part of the flag stick is showing, I'll more likely get an incorrect distance reading.  Sometimes easy enough to move left, right or I step up onto the cart to expose more of the flag.  Usually solves my issue.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

So (honestly!) I'm not usually the guy who leaves headcovers behind, forgets his wedge three holes back, etc.

But I keep losing my rangefinders. Earlier in this thread, I've noted that twice I've forgotten my NX9 HD because I left it magnetized to the golf cart. Both times I've gotten it back.

While my NX9 is at the MGS home office, I've been reduced to using my old generic rangefinder. So last night, Kirke and I are playing an evening round. I've got a shot into the green from a parallel hole (hey, it happens!), so I'm going to grab my rangefinder to get a number.

Problem: the cheap nylon case is hanging from my bag upside down and empty. Sigh. I'm pretty sure the rangefinder fell out of my bag (pushcart) sometime in the first few holes. (Unless one of my kids just took it from the case before the round, which isn't impossible.)

So I'm hoping that someone comes across it and turns it in.

In the meantime, here's another vote for the NX9: the case has two different mechanisms to close it (the zipper and the elastic band), and neither would allow the rangefinder to simply fall out.

I'm really looking forward to getting my NX9 back.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

In the meantime, here's another vote for the NX9: the case has two different mechanisms to close it (the zipper and the elastic band), and neither would allow the rangefinder to simply fall out.

I'll echo that with the NX7... as well as the fact that the case doesn't open all the way - just far enough so that you can slide it out.  I've had it unzipped and open and the case was "smart enough" that the RF stayed in since the top didn't fully open.

Small things like this make a big difference and @PrecisionProGolf has nailed it!  Bravo...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I agree, it is a really nice case.  This coming from someone who loses stuff on the course constantly.  So far so good here!

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

1 hour ago, poprocksncoke said:

I agree, it is a really nice case.  This coming from someone who loses stuff on the course constantly.  So far so good here!

I TRIED to lose the NX9. For those of us that play courses that do not have fully paved paths and take the cart over roots when looking for our balls in the woods, the magnet was amazing. I couldn't get that thing to fall off even once.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

6 hours ago, JonMUSC08 said:

I TRIED to lose the NX9. For those of us that play courses that do not have fully paved paths and take the cart over roots when looking for our balls in the woods, the magnet was amazing. I couldn't get that thing to fall off even once.

Agreed. That magnet is AWESOME.

I leave the empty case in the cart with me so when I go to grab the tees & balls in the holders, I remember to pull the NX9 off the cart since I see the empty case there. Of course, that wouldn't work in @GolfSpy MPR's case, but hopefully it'll help out some others!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Agreed. That magnet is AWESOME.
I leave the empty case in the cart with me so when I go to grab the tees & balls in the holders, I remember to pull the NX9 off the cart since I see the empty case there. Of course, that wouldn't work in [mention=58668]GolfSpy MPR[/mention]'s case, but hopefully it'll help out some others!

Yeah that thing hasn’t moved on the cart and I’ve gone over some gnarly terrain by golf course standards. Some washed out rutted our paths between holes, and it hasn’t even twisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Been enjoying the NX9 a lot. I'm thinking of trying to use it with my push cart (magnet). Just gotta figure out a spot...

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

So I was on a new course today that doesn't have reflectors. I can't believe the difference in acquisition speed. With reflectors on the flag staff I don't even have to center it and I get the number. Today it took a bit more work. On the other hand I don't think this is a problem peculiar to the PP products but rather something across the board of LRF's. A GPS watch would have been handy today. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The Precision Pro NX9 HD helped my buddy out of a tough spot today.

IMG_6135.JPG

What you can’t see is besides the branches he had to deal with a steep incline, large bunker, and fast greens with about 60 yards to the flag from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 8/28/2019 at 4:27 PM, FromRightToLeft said:

Been enjoying the NX9 a lot. I'm thinking of trying to use it with my push cart (magnet). Just gotta figure out a spot...

I hang mine off of the umbrella holder tightening screw via the caribiner, works well and right beside your hands.

I was going to glue on a piece of metal into the push cart and use the magnet. I believe @GolfSpy MPR has done that with some success.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

someone mentioned on the NX7 you can scan back and forth at the flag and the numbers change, so you know whats the flag and whats the tree behind.

Tried this many times but doesnt appear to do this on the NX9, pity as my shaky hands def mean I have to 'fire' the laser a good 4 or 5 times just to be sure I hit the flag.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I hang mine off of the umbrella holder tightening screw via the caribiner, works well and right beside your hands.

I was going to glue on a piece of metal into the push cart and use the magnet. I believe @GolfSpy MPR has done that with some success.

Yeah, I still need to tweak it a bit: the place where I attached the metal plate is also a place that I learned I sometimes grab the cart, knocking the NX9 off in the process. But the principle is sound and I'm going to find a way to make it work well. The magnet is the kind of thing that you wouldn't think you need, but after using it, you wouldn't want to be without.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...

My Stage 2 is up! 

Edit: I added a little video review as well.

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

My Stage Two is now up!! Give it a read and by all means, let me know if you have any questions.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Stage 2 is up!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

On 7/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, FromRightToLeft said:

Stage Two – Precision Pro NX9 – Official MGS Forum Review by FromRightToLeft, Sept. 10th, 2019

So to continue the review, I ended up getting right around 15 rounds in with this device. I have been really struggling with my switch to left handed golf the last two months and am only coming out of it somewhat now. That said I did a lot of testing. I compared it to my Garmin watch, then my new Bushnell Phantom GPS. My home course has a lot of hazards around the greens. They are environmental areas that make about 7 greens almost island greens. The NX9 had the most value for me in these situations. Also in the forced carries as I am not hitting the ball long right now. Some of these things the GPS doesn’t show.

Looks & Feel (8 out of 10 points) 

• It fit in my hand perfectly (I am a ML glove size) and the rubber for the eye socket was really comfortable. I was surprised that I liked the bright green but I did.
  • The durability and build quality seem very high. I dropped it a few times and there were no issues. I think if you buy one of these you’ll be good for many years without having to replace it.
  • The storage case is fantastic. It has a great zipper but also even when you have the zipper open it is designed so that your range finder falling out would be pretty unlikely. In fact mine never fell out once with the zipper open.

Setup (11 out of 15 points)

• The instructions for the NX9 are simple enough. The only thing I had to look at was the slope setting. It says “M1” for no slope and “M2” for slope setting. This I just don’t understand. Why make it so close? Why not have nothing on the screen if there is no slope on and “SL” or just “S” when it’s on? What does “M1 or M2” mean to anyone? This is poorly thought out and bad design in my opinion. 
  • I didn’t end up talking to customer service as the one issue I had resolved itself (more on this to come).

Accuracy (12 out of 15 points)

• So, I had an issue for a few rounds where I would tag something and it wouldn’t come off the screen. So I accidentally tag a tree behind the flag for example and I know the yardage is wrong at 100 yards. Its max 80 yards. So I hit the button to laser the flag again but the 100 yards won’t go away no matter what I try and tag. The golf cart 10 yards away still says 100 yards. This “getting stuck” in a yardage happened several times over a few rounds and then just stopped happening. The last 10 rounds I’ve not had an issue.
  • My other major issue was that it would tag trees behind flags very often instead of the flag. This could mean having to try two or three times to get a yardage.
  • As far as being accurate when you did tag the correct target it was awesome. Bang on to what my Bushnell GPS was saying and Garmin watch.

On-Course (30 out of 40 points)

• So, on the course it was really intuitive to just grab this and take it out once I got used to having it. I have a magnetic pocket so that helped I think (I walk with a push cart).  I didn’t use the magnet on a cart since I'm a walker, but it’s super strong when I tested it on my fridge!
  • I would also say that using a range finder often added probably 5-10 mins to my round when I was using the NX9. Just always having to find the target, double check it etc. added 10-15 seconds at least per shot.
  • I have used a Garmin watch and now a Bushnell Phantom GPS. I have to say I prefer the GPS in most instances. You just look down and you’re done. No taking it out, bringing it up to the eye, finding the target and then re-tagging it at least once or twice to make sure yardage is correct. My skill is also not high enough to need more than front, center, back of the green. I also hate playing slow.
  • As far as a range finder goes this was the best one I have ever used. It is very fast to tag and the screen is really clear. Mis-tagging trees was annoying though. I have owned a couple of basic Bushnell range finders in the past and the NX9 blew them out of the water; it was faster, more accurate and fit in my hand better than any of the other rangefinders.
  • The NX9 also had a much better screen than anything I’ve used before. The slope feature was really cool to have in certain spots as well although it feels like cheating....hah.

I have to say despite some annoyances I played better with the range finder than without it. As I mentioned, my home course has a lot of environmental areas near or around the greens and on forced carries off the tee. I would have under-clubbed many times without the NX9.

Play it or Trade it? (15 out of 20 points)

After much consideration I would have to say I would want this in my bag in any competitive match. For “pleasure golf” or say with nothing on the line I don’t think I’d use it more than a half dozen times a round. My GPS would be good enough in most cases.

Part of that might be that I’m a beginner again now playing left handed and general yardages are more than fine for me. When I was a single digit I think I would use it much, much more.

I think the NX9 would be geared towards pretty much anyone that needs accurate distances on the courses they play but more so for the better players. I feel that way about all range finders though. For a fifteen cap or above like me, a GPS with front, middle, back is more than enough in most cases. Everyone can use one of these for doglegs, forced carries and hazards not shown on GPS devices however. I also love it for the driving range. It's really handy there to tag different targets, be it a dark patch of ground or a marker. 

For myself being a high handicap right now with limited disposable income, I don’t think I would shell out the extra money for it above and beyond my GPS. Once I get down below a fifteen index I think I would then very likely buy one.

Conclusion

The NX9 was by far the best rangefinder I have used. It was really accurate with distances and fast to tag. My main issues were; not knowing if the slope was on or off due to poor graphic design and that it would miss-tag trees fairly often behind flags. Overall it’s something I’d want in my bag, especially when I get below that fifteen index.

Final Score: 76/100

Quick Video Review

Great second stage review.  I would of still contacted their customer service for the issues you were experiencing for a swap out.  Never know if there will be issues down the road.  Plus, Precision Pro could do a root cause analysis on that NX9 to see if it's a one off issue or something that might effect all of the NX9's out there.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

On 7/12/2019 at 9:32 PM, russtopherb said:

Stage Two - Precision Pro NX9 HD – Official MGS Forum Review by Russtopherb

When we last left our intrepid (or maybe insipid? Either could work here, TBH) hero, he was excited to be testing the brand-new Precision Pro NX9 HD Slope rangefinder for his fellow spies. As a weekend golfer who had never used a rangefinder before, would he lower his scores? Break 90 for the first time? Learn how to hit his driver? Discover that Racer X was really his older brother, hiding his identity and throwing races to protect him against agents of evil?

We now begin the exciting conclusion of “Russtopherb Tests The NX9” starting… NOW!!! 

Looks & Feel (7 out of 10 points)

The NX9, as pointed out in Stage One, is on the smaller side for a rangefinder but it fits perfectly in my hand. My 13yo was able to use the NX9 repeatedly out on the course without a problem as well, the rangefinder is simple enough to use that he was lasering distances without any instruction or input from me at all. 

The case, as many have pointed out, is designed to really hold onto the NX9, even if you accidentally forget to close it. The carabiner that’s attached to the case… well, that’s another story. I know other testers swapped theirs out; I just played it safe and left the case in my bag when I was walking. 

IMG_0098.jpg.8745c43e91b15f8294d9def8e1072e24.jpg

Some points get deducted however due to how close the Mode button is to the Shoot button. It’s FAR too easy to accidentally hit the Mode button and either turn the slope on/off by mistake, or change Yards into Meters. I did that more times than I can count while on the course, and to be honest, that’s an issue. If you’re in a foursome, you don’t want to waste time futzing with your rangefinder to make sure you’re lasering the correct distances.

IMG_0088.jpg.166a0a730d89e40410cf759b3f40bb6d.jpg

The NX9 also gets some points off for not having any external visual indicators for the slope mode. Now, I don’t play in any tournaments, however I can see a lot of golfers who want a solid budget-friendly rangefinder needing to pass this one by so there’s no concerns over the slope mode accidentally being engaged, or the ability to show playing partners & event organizers that they’re complying with the rules.

For some golfers these may not be big concerns. However, with the amount of times I accidentally changed the mode & measuring distance type just trying to laser a pin, I think it’s a design concern for future models. 

The NX9 does win some points back for it’s sturdy and STRONG magnet. I play a local muni that’s pretty hilly to start with, and the cart paths… well, let’s just say they’re still on the “needs to be improved” list for the new management group. I played 3 rounds there with the NX9 attached to the side of the cart at eye level when sitting, and that sucker did not budge a single centimeter. Attach that puppy to anything you want my friends - it ain’t going ANYWHERE.

Setup (15 out of 15 points)

As noted above in Looks & Feel, the NX9 is dead easy to use. I scanned the included instruction booklet when I first pulled it out of it’s case, and I haven’t needed to look back at it since. Nor have I needed to look up any info online, and let me tell you - I’m one of those weirdos who has to investigate the heck out of anything I purchase or want to use. Like, putting together entire spreadsheets when just thinking about maybe buying a new car in another year. Yep, I’m that guy. So the ability to use the NX9 without any concerns or needing to memorize step by step instructions is huge for a dummy like me. 

I know some of the other testers have interacted with Precision Pro in regards to their case concerns, however I never used the carabiner so no issues there. The battery life appears to be fantastic - after a couple of months of using it on the course, at the range, and letting my son use it with his golf team, the battery life hasn’t budged at all. With lifetime free battery replacements, I have zero concerns about being able to use the NX9 indefinitely. 

The eyepiece is great and as a glasses wearer I never had any problems with it. I adjusted it slightly when I first pulled it out of the box and I haven't needed to touch it since.

I made sure to register my NX9 online using the including instructions right away, and haven’t been back to their website since. I consider that a very good thing.

Accuracy (10 out of 15 points)

We’re going to start with the good here - I compared the NX9 with a couple of GPS apps (FunGolf and 18 Birdies) as well as my older Neo+ watch. Distances were almost dead on at elevation, with only a yard or two of difference, max. Having the slope here was beyond helpful when playing hilly courses, hitting into elevated greens, etc. The NX9 had no problem locking onto sand traps, trees, doglegs or tee box markers when I wanted to laser a drive distance. 

Now, we have to go with the bad - the NX9 can be extremely difficult to get a correct distance on the first shot. Here in New England, there’s trees EVERYWHERE. 

You can’t escape them. So it’s inevitable that you’ll be aiming at a flag that has trees behind it. You really need to shoot the pin a good 2-3 times at the very least to make sure you have the right distance. Sometimes I even had issues getting consistent distances when lasering a pin that had nothing behind it. 

Precision Pro recommends holding down the shoot button while slowly sweeping across the flag you are shooting, but that really didn’t do anything for me to give me the correct distance right away. I can understand wanting to shoot a pin 2x to play it safe, but needing to do it 3-4 times can be a problem. It may be that the HD & zoom features are the culprit here - I found that I needed to use both hands on the NX9 while also tucking my elbows against my body to steady the device. The more zoom you have on your device, the more your tiny movements are magnified. 

I will say that shots from 100 and in were far more apt to give me the correct distance right away, however after experiencing issues from further out I still lasered multiple times when I was in closer. 

On-Course (35 out of 40 points)

On course, the NX9 is dead easy to use. Now, we need to also factor in the fact that while it’s easy to use, you also need to make sure that you haven’t accidentally changed the distance type or turned slope off, and you also need to shoot your target a bunch of times. So while it’s easy to use, it’s not as simple as pull it out, laser once or twice, and toss it back in the case or your cart. 

All that said though, the NX9 still performs great - again, no issues at all with accuracy once you confirmed you had the correct yardage to the pin (or your aim point) by lasering it a few times. I never had a distance that was off at all. 

Even with the concerns that I noted above, it’s still faster and easier to use the NX9 than a phone app to get a distance, which is what I did before the NX9. No need to pull the phone out of your pocket, unlock the screen, wait for the app to update the hole you’re on, then put the phone away again… you get the gist of things. I also preferred it to my watch, as the Neo+ only gave straight line distance, making the watch much harder to use on doglegs or holes where hazards were in play based on my shot shape and distances. 

I made sure to have the NX9 on every round I played, including one with fellow spies Golf Spy Stroker and Wedgie. I never ran into a situation where the NX9 led me wrong, or gave me a bad reading. Every misplaced shot was purely on me! As much as I’d like to blame that dead pull with my driver in Acushnet that almost wiped out an entire group on another tee box on something besides my terrible swing, the NX9 was great to have out there. 

Having the NX9 on approach shots made a noticeable difference for me. While it didn’t show up on my scores unfortunately, guys I play regularly with pointed out that my wedges were much improved from 100 yards and in. I was closer to the hole on a regular basis, even on shots that I really just tried to hit the center of the green. The NX9, however, will not prevent you from duffing 3 chips in a row, leading to a 10 on a par 5. Just so you know.

Play it or Trade it? (18 out of 20 points)

Having never owned a rangefinder before, I didn’t go into this review with any preconceived ideas. There were no other models for me to compare it to, or anything I was specifically looking for. This was 100% a “show me what ya got” situation.

Even with the points that I deducted in previous sections for all the reasons I laid out, I still think this is a great rangefinder for golfers who want a really good device without breaking the bank. I’m a weekend golfer who has no plans to compete in tournaments, so the lack of visual confirmation on the slope mode isn’t a dealbreaker at all… for me. You, however, may be in a different situation and it’s something I needed to take into consideration for this review.

The position of the Mode button is a big concern, and it’s something I hope Precision Pro addresses in future releases. Other users may not have that issue, based on finger size and dexterity. Maybe I’ve just got fat fingers, I don’t know.

fat-fingers.bmp

Likewise with the concern on needing to laser targets multiple times to ensure you have the proper yardage. The closer you get, the less of a problem this is, but it’s still an issue that I’ve had along with my fellow testers. Once you adjust and know you need to laser multiple times, it’s not so bad, however some golfers may want a “point once and go” solution, and I don’t think this is it.

I do, however, think the pros far outweigh the cons here.

Pros:

• Great price for the features you get
  • Dead simple to use
  • Magnet could potentially be used to lift a car off of a trapped puppy
  • Good build
  • Free battery replacement for life is killer

Cons:

• Image can be shaky and tough to lock on from a distance
  • Buttons too close together on the top
  • No visible indicator of slope mode
  • Won’t prevent you from hitting terrible shots and maybe saying a bad word or two on occasion

Conclusion

The NX9 is a solid entry in the range finder market, particularly for those looking for a model with slope at a good price. If you’re a weekend duffer or even someone who plays on the regular, this model is one you should definitely be looking at. It doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles some others do, but that doesn’t detract from the yardage accuracy or the industrial strength magnet that’s a huge bonus for those that prefer to ride. 

It fits well in your hand, stays stuck to the cart, and is so easy to use a junior golfer can start lasering distances within seconds of holding it for the first time. 

Final Score: 85/100 - Would buy and recommend you strongly consider it too if you want a no-frills, wallet-friendly and accurate range finder. 

Well done second stage!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Nice Stage 2's fellas!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Stage 2 is up.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Great second stage review.  I would of still contacted their customer service for the issues you were experiencing for a swap out.  Never know if there will be issues down the road.  Plus, Precision Pro could do a root cause analysis on that NX9 to see if it's a one off issue or something that might effect all of the NX9's out there.

MDGolfHacker

I had a problem with my NX7 Pro and they immediately sent me a new one without waiting for mine to go back so I wouldn't be without a LRF. Fabulous customer service.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

This topic just remained me. I need to replace the battery; again in my NX7 Pro. I seem to recall replacing it just a couple months or so ago. To me I think this LRF drains a battery quickly. I hope that's all it is as I think the NXS-P is a good one. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

6 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

This topic just remained me. I need to replace the battery; again in my NX7 Pro. I seem to recall replacing it just a couple months or so ago. To me I think this LRF drains a battery quickly. I hope that's all it is as I think the NXS-P is a good one. 

@PlaidJacketI've used my NX7 Pro all summer (virtually every day) and just replaced my battery. Could be the battery - but if that happens again  I'd contact PP maybe the on/off switch is malfunctioning. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

6 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

maybe the on/off switch is malfunctioning. 

I didn't know there was such a switch. Mine is wrapped in a magnetic Velcro sleeve thing that I attach to the cart.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Just now, PlaidJacket said:

I didn't know there was such a switch. Mine is wrapped in a magnetic Velcro sleeve thing that I attach to the cart.

news to me also and I'm testing one😂

I dont believe there is a switch on the NX9 plus Precision Pro give free battery replacements for the first 2 years.

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

news to me also and I'm testing one😂

I dont believe there is a switch on the NX9 plus Precision Pro give free battery replacements for the first 2 years.

Sorry - using old terminology. The on button on top of the unit is what I was referring to. The one you have to press to activate the unit and then press again to measure. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Stage 2 is live!  

Go Pats! 

IMG_6477.JPG