Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

Lots more to come, but for now, I've updated my review with my not-quite-unboxing video: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32421-2019-official-forum-member-review-precision-pro-nx9-hd-rangefinder/?do=findComment&comment=556994

• Like 3

Nice stage 1s for all those who've posted so far.  

On 7/12/2019 at 9:25 PM, JonMUSC08 said:

Currently I’m gaming a 2009 Bushnell V2 Tour Slope Edition rangefinder.

@JonMUSC08 - I have the same one.  I'm interested to hear if there's any reason to change.  My Bushnell still works just fine.

• Like 2

Great start fellow spies Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Stage 1 is up now. Even more pictures of the same box we all have😂 but with all our own perspectives...

• Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, B.Boston said:

Hi All!  Big thanks to MGS and PrecisionPro for the opportunity to test out the NX9 HD Slope Rangefinder!

7AB8E8B3-EB02-4826-BDB6-C3A0C4B07FBE.thumb.jpeg.d051c407375ebc059b7321d504c70b91.jpeg

For those of you who don’t know me, which is most of you, my name is Bryan and I am the short guy in blue in the photo below and I live in Bellingham, MA.  I have been golfing for as long as I can remember but got much more serious about the game after I graduated from Bentley University in 2009.  I play to about an 8 handicap and I am always trying to improve my game, but between work, 2 boys (and a baby girl due in 4 weeks) practice time is not what it needs to be.

IMG_5134.thumb.jpg.107002d7222bf792e0dd799ce739c1bb.jpg

Here is two videos of my swing in action a few weekends ago on a golf trip with some friends (those less handsome guys in the photo from earlier). I’m fairly consistent, and generally hit my irons dead straight and my miss is typically a small cut or push right. My driver tends to favor a fade, but I’ve mostly eliminated the big slice I had when I was younger.  A draw used to be a four letter curse word for me, but I am now able to hit one, just not always when I need to, so I favor the left to right movement if I can.

(Swing tips and heckling are fully approved should you wish to chime in)

I usually shoot in the low to mid 80’s and would say my biggest weakness is in chipping and pitching it close.  I’m working on this and trying to rely less on feel and have a system for yardages inside of comfortable full swings.  My driving has improved significantly (thanks SuperSpeed) and I’ve always been a good putter.

One of my strengths is also that I use technology to my advantage and have a good strategy to attack the course.  Of course, it doesn’t always work, but that’s why we play the game right!? During a typical round I will use both my Leupold GX-3i2 and a GPS app on my phone.  Off the tee I’ll use the GPS to pick a landing area based on the fairway and hazards and always look to see where the flag is with my rangefinder in relation to the front and back of the green to select an approach shot.

Here is a quick view of what is currently in the bag, and you can get specifics from my signature down below.  Most of my bag isn’t going anywhere soon and earlier this year I went down to my fitter and had my putter adjusted for me (counter weight and loft/length/lie adjustments).  But I have been swinging some newer drivers lately…

947262718_RenderedImage2.thumb.jpg.4802f53b68efab1aa9ed593e248e4668.jpg

RenderedImage.thumb.jpg.60d79024737ebfedc2011e70206f1e94.jpg

But that’s enough about me, if you’re still reading along its time we got to talking about this little green machine:

2104958946_RenderedImage3.thumb.jpg.b673e9af67583e00bb1c6304b8b8bf65.jpg

Let’s start with a recap of what Precision Pro has to say about the NX9 HD:

• Faster, Brighter, Better
    • On top of Slope Measurement and Pulse Vibration technology, Precision Pro is claiming a Brighter and Wider display to make finding the pin even easier.
  • Built-in Magnet
    • Secures to the cart safely with the Magnetic Grip so that it’s always within easy reach before every shot.
  • Easy to Pick up the Flag
    • NX9 HD’s embedded Target Acquisition Technology makes it simple to lock on to the flag even if you have shaky hands.

First impressions are positive. The packaging is high quality and the unit itself has a great weight to it.  I know this was mentioned specifically somewhere before that they wanted more heft, and it does lend it self to a feeling of quality and durability. 

IMG_5190.thumb.jpg.b4cb3f7b421b286150d09865cce3adc3.jpg

IMG_5244.thumb.jpg.75b06ee25f244c56b12de6f8c73d7101.jpg

The buttons are easy to press, and mode/menu items are easy to access and work well.  There are far fewer options compared to my GX-3i2, with no reticle options, and really just Slope/No Slope, and Yards/Meters as the options per the user guide.  Simple and functional, so no complaints there.  

Here’s a view through the lens showing some options/modes selected:

30AA5F13-D408-401E-AE94-2D7E3E353612.thumb.jpg.7b649ff64cf18594b85a6345f79b6318.jpg

Two little questions are have from my first look at the NX9 HD are where is this lanyard supposed to connect to?

IMG_5245.thumb.jpg.943ff908c068c3966b1177f9cd9c84d1.jpg

And how well sealed is the Battery door?  Not used to seeing one quite like this, so I’ll have to see if that is unique to Precision Pro designs or if it is more common on newer models.

IMG_5258.thumb.jpg.0519e270235edd9adaa6210188c6fba5.jpg

As far as their claims go the magnet works as advertised!

1DBBB307-A4A5-4142-98D2-60F8C5B133EE.thumb.jpg.afc2089bc9230d3d703a8372b56de420.jpg

IMG_5327.thumb.jpg.6fdd634b5554f00711114b20d1b4392a.jpg

But is it Faster, Brighter, Better? It certainly looks like a nice bright and wide viewfinder, and I have some tests planned to put that to the test. And is it Easier to Pick Up the Flag?  While most modern rangefinders are quick, I’ll make not of any difficulty in picking up the flag as there are a few situations I’ve experienced on the course that give some rangefinders fits.

You may be asking yourself why a rangefinder would help your game, and wether its worth it or not compared to using a GPS app or *gasp* the on course markers to the middle of the green. Now, we’re not all as good as DJ, but the point here is if you know your yardage, and know your swing, you are going to hit it closer.  I’ve found that using a rangefinder can be eye opening as to how far you actually hit the ball, while giving you the added benefit of knowing exactly how far to the flag. 

*Insider tip:  It is almost never a bad move to take the distance to the flag, and a GPS to the center of the green and play for a spot between the two favoring the center of the green.  Using the rangefinder alone can lead to a lot of short sided misses if you don’t take other positional factors into account.*

Stay tuned for updates and some head to head battles against another premium rangefinder (albeit one that is not a few years old).  I’ll test the NX9 HD and GX-3i2 side by side both at the range and on the course making note of their pros and cons.  I’ll also grab my friends NX7 Slope for some on course comparisons if possible as well.

Leave a note below and tag me if there are any specific tests you’d like to see done!  I can guarantee there will be more awkward viewfinder photos, probably some chicken scratch yardage comparisons, and most certainly some bad grammar too!  

Sound off below, let’s do this!

IMG_5248.thumb.jpg.b79611e37d0e478e7458babc7d6d008d.jpg

Bryan,  

Great write-up. On your question about 'where does the lanyard go'? If you go to the other Precision Pro thread you'll find the pictures of the "slot". A different twist and response to your question:  I find that to be the only design weakness of the Precision Pro devices. The lanyard is too small and the slot too tight. I have an NX7 pro and have attached an extra long yellow lanyard to it. The access "slot" for the OEM lanyard doesn't allow enough space to attach an different one so I have to attach mine to the OEM.  

Why do I need an extra long brightly colored one? Great question. I've lost 2 LRFs on courses because I've laid them down and either forgot to pick them up or couldn't find them.  That happened again this year. I was pitching out of deep rough and over tall bunkers  - too preoccupied to see if I landed on the green, I  left it on the ground . After putting out I realized that I left it in the rough - going back I was only able to spot it because of the yellow lanyard - the NX7 just blended into the grass. Wish PrecisionPro would add a ring and/or a wider slot and just forget about the OEM lanyard. FYI, yes I know the yellow is getting pretty dirty and I need to replace it - but then it's a testament to how much I use my NX7! 😎

IMG_6073.JPG

• Like 4

Bryan,  
Great write-up. On your question about 'where does the lanyard go'? If you go to the other Precision Pro thread you'll find the pictures of the "slot". A different twist and response to your question:  I find that to be the only design weakness of the Precision Pro devices. The lanyard is too small and the slot too tight. I have an NX7 pro and have attached an extra long yellow lanyard to it. The access "slot" for the OEM lanyard doesn't allow enough space to attach an different one so I have to attach mine to the OEM.  
Why do I need an extra long brightly colored one? Great question. I've lost 2 LRFs on courses because I've laid them down and either forgot to pick them up or couldn't find them.  That happened again this year. I was pitching out of deep rough and over tall bunkers  - too preoccupied to see if I landed on the green, I  left it on the ground . After putting out I realized that I left it in the rough - going back I was only able to spot it because of the yellow lanyard - the NX7 just blended into the grass. Wish PrecisionPro would add a ring and/or a wider slot and just forget about the OEM lanyard. FYI, yes I know the yellow is getting pretty dirty and I need to replace it - but then it's a testament to how much I use my NX7! 
IMG_6073.JPG.e99a694fc94cb4a79104c3ccf30d26d4.JPG

Seems the Case redesign for the NX9 eliminated that slot. The battery door takes up all the space below the viewfinder.

IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

My guess is we got the same accessories as the NX7s but there is just no lanyard slot anymore.

Or I’m blind... both are potentially true. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Edit to include an unboxing video in which I actually manage to get the device unboxed: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32421-2019-official-forum-member-review-precision-pro-nx9-hd-rangefinder/?do=findComment&comment=556994

• Like 2

Forgot to add- the magnet is a beast! stuck it to my oven door and it doesn't shift without some good force behind it.

Makes me think of super gluing a piece of metal to the top of my push trolley and putting it magnetically there, would be really easy to use without opening and closing the case, plus theres no chance a failed caribiner (see my review) could let it drop off.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Forgot to add- the magnet is a beast! stuck it to my oven door and it doesn't shift without some good force behind it.

Makes me think of super gluing a piece of metal to the top of my push trolley and putting it magnetically there, would be really easy to use without opening and closing the case, plus theres no chance a failed caribiner (see my review) could let it drop off.

That is a great idea. I was bummed to find that there was nowhere on my pushcart to attach the magnet. If I get this done, I'll share what I did.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 808nation said:

Great start fellow spies emoji41.pngemoji106.png Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers emoji481.png

Grabbing the target isn't hard at all, however I've learned that it doesn't hurt to shoot it at least twice, especially if I'm a decent distance away and there's trees behind the pin. The closer I get the easier it is to make sure that the first check is the correct one. No image stabilization that I've noticed, I tend to hold it with both hands and lock my elbows into my body to keep things steady.

57 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

The magnet is indeed a beast! I played a muni who's cart paths are barely paved, it's definitely an offroading experience. The NX9 held onto the cart like a champ and didn't budge an inch. The magnet is SOLID.

• Like 5

Great start fellow spies Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers

It’s easy to use, I certainly use the old measure twice cut once motto. I take at least 2 measurements each flag. I had my 10 year old “caddie” for me yesterday and she was a pro using it after a couple holes. I would let her shoot it and then I’d verify and she was nailing it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Nice stage 1s for all those who've posted so far.  

@JonMUSC08 - I have the same one.  I'm interested to hear if there's any reason to change.  My Bushnell still works just fine.

Awesome! I have enjoyed my Bushnell as well. Without going into too much detail (since i have to post a stage 2 review...), it all depends on if you want to drop some some money on a new one. I used my Bushnell and the Precision Pro side by side and let others use it for about 2-3 rounds now. If you were buying brand new (or sold you old one) and didn't have a rangefinder then its a matter of 'whats another $100-$130 worth to you.' My wife my kill me if i spend $330 on something i already have. ...Clubs are different 😉

9 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Makes me think of super gluing a piece of metal to the top of my push trolley and putting it magnetically there, would be really easy to use without opening and closing the case, plus theres no chanstage ce a failed caribiner (see my review) could let it drop off.

SPOILER ALERT: I 2nd that, magnet is a beast. I was surprised. More info on that in stage 2!

20 hours ago, 808nation said:

Great start fellow spies emoji41.pngemoji106.png Looking forward to stage 2 particularly interested in seeing if you felt confident in your yardage on your first attempt or did you shoot it multiple times with different results. Ease of locking on your target, does it provide some sort of image stabilization. Cheers emoji481.png

Regardless if i used my old rangefinder or my new Precision Pro, I always shoot the flag 2-3x.

Image stabilization can be tough the greater the magnification there is. You're looking a smaller area over a greater distance.

• Like 3

Stage 1 is up, or as much as I can do until I get the NX9:

• Like 2

For those needing a rangefinder and for cheap. Prime day special
Precision Pro Golf, Nexus Golf Rangefinder, Laser Golf Rangefinder, 400 Yard Range, 6X Magnification https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017JIT6EG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6JilDbXYT792T

Also saw the Nikon ?Coolshot? For $200

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, FromRightToLeft said:

Anyway, a few years ago I was having major back issues but wanted to get my first round of the year in anyway. This is May 23rd, 2017. We get started on the back nine and on the twelfth hole I took a swing despite knowing my back was bad and heard a sickening “CRACK” and I dropped like a rock. I managed to get back to the parking lot and an Ambulance had to take me to the hospital from there. Found out I had disc issues, a compression fracture and osteoporosis. I got tested for everything under the sun as for a man my age (39 at the time), it’s rare to have osteo. Luckily (it often means bone cancer) for me it was just a genetic thing. With ostea, the disc issues and my stupidity it was a perfect storm haha!

Two years later and I’m back golfing again but learning left handed as it’s easier on my back. Just got a bone scan done and I’m increasing density due to exercise and medication. I’m currently a 34 index. My worst round is 138 and my low 104 from the wrong side of the ball. I don’t know if there could be anyone happier to be back golfing. I honestly didn’t know if it would ever be an option so the scores are secondary to that, however I’m a competitive s.o.b. so I want to get good again.

This is an amazing story, and I hadn't previously realized the significance of your forum handle. Wishing you all the best in your health and in your continued re-learning of the game!

• Like 2

Great stage 1!  So it looks like there are 3 lefties testing the NX9 HDs? 👍

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

Great stage 1!  So it looks like there are 3 lefties testing the NX9 HDs?

MDGolfHacker

You can count me as a half. I’m left handed but golf righty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

This is an amazing story, and I hadn't previously realized the significance of your forum handle. Wishing you all the best in your health and in your continued re-learning of the game!

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate that. It's been really great getting to relearn the game again. My absence just made me love it more and I really sympathize with what beginners are going through. Got to play the course I grew up playing last week, The Cape Breton Highlands! It is a top 100 in the world and it was in great shape. It is my favorite place to be in the world. 3 rounds walking, in two days too, perfect weather! I just added a few pics from the trip to my post!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32421-2019-official-forum-member-review-precision-pro-nx9-hd-rangefinder/?do=findComment&comment=556978

• Love 2

Great night with the NX9 on the course. The last 2 holes were definitely in the twilight and I had zero issues with picking up the flag. Only had one instance where the NX9 gave me the wrong distance on the first shot but I was also 220 out and chalk that up to my own personal steadiness.

• Like 3