Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Precision Pro NX9 HD Rangefinder

played today with no caribiner so had to keep getting it out the bag and out the case- bit of a fuffle doing it in the rain.

I'm definitley struggling with lasering the flag when it's totally limp, I have to do it numerous times as I'm not convinced I didnt laser the tree or mound behind the green. One hole today I had 3 different yardages so I was missing the flag, I dont have shaky hands but it is shaky when trying to hold steady, I even hold my breath.

I think I need to use the gps as well just to affirm which yardage is 'closest' to the gps middle green yardage.

I think I need to carry a surveyors tripod to mount it on for accuracy😂😂📹🔭🔭

• Like 2

played today with no caribiner so had to keep getting it out the bag and out the case- bit of a fuffle doing it in the rain.
I'm definitley struggling with lasering the flag when it's totally limp, I have to do it numerous times as I'm not convinced I didnt laser the tree or mound behind the green. One hole today I had 3 different yardages so I was missing the flag, I dont have shaky hands but it is shaky when trying to hold steady, I even hold my breath.
I think I need to use the gps as well just to affirm which yardage is 'closest' to the gps middle green yardage.
I think I need to carry a surveyors tripod to mount it on for accuracy

That’s probably the only downside of the extra level of magnification (7x) versus a lot of others using 6x or less. Every little movement is magnified.

However, I have not had any issues to date. I did see on Precision Pro’s website once you press the button to move it side to side over the target. From what I understand these sort out short and long distances and pick the shortest as the flag or target.

Also, the rain could be at fault here. Fog/rain to cause every rangefinder I’ve used to get tricked and give false readings. Using GPS as a piggy back during adverse conditions is a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I did see on Precision Pro’s website once you press the button to move it side to side over the target. From what I understand these sort out short and long distances and pick the shortest as the flag or target.

That's interesting. So if you fire at the flag them move it left and right past the flag it will give one distance? Does the vibration mean its locked on the closest object I wonder? I need to continue the testing this week.

• Like 2

That's interesting. So if you fire at the flag them move it left and right past the flag it will give one distance? Does the vibration mean its locked on the closest object I wonder? I need to continue the testing this week.

That’s how it’s always been described to me.

Here is the video from Precision Pro:

• Like 1

I too also played today. Used it the whole round and mounted it to my cart. Magnet is still going great. Easy to grab and shoot as i jump out of the cart at my ball. Rarely hitting much past the flag. Shot my best round of the Summer today (82) and felt very comfortable with the yardages.

I would 2nd the idea that with greater magnification comes a greater 'shakey' feeling. All movements are magnified.

Still really enjoying the rangefinder more than I expected. Time will tell on its durability but I've had no concerns at this point.

• Like 3

Alright, here we go!

The Newcomer: Precision Pro NX9 HD
The Defending Champ: Leupold GX-3i2

Who will win and be crowned champion for the remainder of the 2019 season and beyond!? Let’s get this battle started!

03762503-03D0-44F0-A89E-61557A2E03EC.jpg

Tale of the Tape:

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

As we can see the GX-3i2 has the advantage in # of reticles and also in having a fog mode. Fog mode displays the distance to the furthest object so its not as useful, and I’d likely just use a GPS to the middle if I couldnt get a read. For the reticle I used the Leupolds that looks most similar to the NX9 HD, so no real life advantage there either.

Size and weight both are very close. I weighed both and they are within .3oz of each other. They both feel solid and have good quality build materials.

For the NX9 HD we have an extra level of magnification and also comes with Slope. These two specs give it the edge in this round!

Here is a photo of my neighbors broken down truck with both. I hope that you will be able to see the difference in magnification. The field of view ends up being the same, but the actually viewfinder is a much larger aperature in the NX9 HD, making the image you see that much bigger and easier to target.

Leupold:
IMG_5457.jpg

NX9 HD:
IMG_5460.jpg

Winner: NX9 HD

Accuracy Test:

For this test I targeted two different yardages multiple times each for a short target and an intermediate target. Below is a summary of the tests.

IMG_5553.jpg

As you can see Both the Leupold and NX9 HD performed extrememly consistently. Leupold measures down to the tenth of a yard so that is shown. Interesting to note is that the NX9 HD showed one more yard on the intermedate test. Which is correct, I don’t know, but I can note that when I’ve been playing with folks using Bushnell or other rangefinders my Leupold was always 1-2 yards shorter than some of those. Neither number changes my approach, and consistency is great so both pass with flying colors.

Winner: DRAW

On Course Test:

I used both on course for 2 rounds alternating holes. A few things became redily apparant.
1. I love having slope, especially on an unfamiliar course.
2. I liked the larger aperature and extra magnifcation on the NX9 HD more than I missed the red lit display of the GX-3i2.
3. I like the case and magnet better on the NX9 HD than the case that was provided by Leupold.

Winner: NX9 HD.

Overall Winner: NX9 HD!

While I still have some more testing to do, so far I have seen no reason to not consider the NX9 HD a significant upgrade to my old GX-3i2.

IMG_5557.jpg

That’s all for today, Let me know if you guys have any other testing ideas. I’m still going to try to get to a football field or something where I have actual measured targets to compare to.

Thanks guys, hope you enjoied this heavyweight bout!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 📹😍

/humble brag post of the day 😂

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 

/humble brag post of the day 

I demand pictures... and a video of 6, 14, and 17
  • Like 2

1. I hate you.
2. You’re a jerk.
3. Have a blast and enjoy that round!

• Like 4

Selfie pics or it didn't happen

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I'll be testing the NX9 on the Old Course St Andrews this Thursday 📹😍

/humble brag post of the day 😂

aaahhh man sorry i couldn't make it on such short term notice. Next time i'm in 😉

Thats awesome though, hit em straight!

• Like 1

IMG_5605.gif

How’d it go?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@perseveringgolfer very cool! sounds like you had a great day out there! I was lucky enough to go out there a few years ago and walk a few holes (wasn't able to play) during a freezing cold of November. Such an awesome course. It looks beautiful right now from your pictures. One day i'll get back there to play. In the mean time, i'll live vicariously through you.

• Like 4

Oh man. See that 3rd window from the right at the top? I would have sniped a 3 wood right into it...

Thanks for sharing some pics of Golfs Holy Land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@perseveringgolfer unreal!  Looks like it was a perfect day.  I'd imagine 15 mph is slow winds for them! thanks for sharing.

I'm totally with @Shankster on taking out a window on that tee shot! haha *don't go right* *don't go right* THWACK *goes right*

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Haven't weighed in here in a bit with my thoughts on the range finder, other than noting my predilection for losing the thing.

Here's my TL;DR: I use the NX9 HD all the time. This, for me, is the best measure of a range finding device: is its use so unobtrusive that it can be incorporated into the round without thought and without delay? For the @PrecisionProGolf NX9 HD, the answer is yes.

I have the slope feature turned on all the time. I don't know exactly how to objectively evaluate it, but it has become another useful piece of data as I prepare to hit a shot. For the most part, I grab the range finder, hit the button, and I'm looking at the upper right distance (the slope number) and almost ignoring the actual number.

As some others have mentioned, the 7x zoom does introduce a bit of shake, but it's still light years better than the budget range finder that it's replacing, and the high zoom comes in handy on those holes where spotting the flag is a challenge (blue flag against trees).

Every so often, the NX9 picks up a background tree instead of the flag, but it is rare. I've been enormously impressed with the speed and accuracy of its ability to lock on to the target I actually want.

Other than the positioning of the mode button (which a few of us have noted already) and the replacement of the included carabiner with something more sturdy, it's hard to come up with a meaningful way to improve this device. It's earned its spot in my bag.

• Like 8

I'm with @GolfSpy MPR when it comes to the slope; I never look at the actual yardage. Always adjusted for slope. On some holes it's a yard or two but I've had more than a few distances that were 10-12 yards different. That's a whole club, plus some depending on where I am in the fairway (or not). Love that feature.

• Like 3

I'm using mine for pretty much every 2nd shot now, only time I don't is a blind shot over a hill or dogleg.

I still havent used it for bunkers and hazards (penalty areas) but I think it's becoming the essential accessory for me now......and I dont have to remember to charge it up, unlike my gps watch.

I played with a guy yesterday who was lasering the pin from about 10 yds away! Don't think I'll ever do that! theres some distances that your eyes and brain are more suited for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I played with a guy yesterday who was lasering the pin from about 10 yds away!

That's a little crazy, might as well be using it on the putting surface as well.

I typically just use my NX7 Pro for my approach shots and on par-3's. I use GPS for fairway bunkers / hazards.

• Like 1