Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Back to an Old Friend

ED13

My first putter was a Ping Answer with the slot.  At the time it was cheap and seemed to roll the ball pretty well.  Over the years I would try other putters if they were free or I got them for good deal (Scotty Cameron Squareback, a couple from Odyssey, and a few others).  None stayed in the bag for more than a few rounds until I picked up the Mizuno in my signiature.  It seemed good but I always wondered if something else could be better so I went for a putter fitting.  The numbers were better with tempo and strike position than the others I tried using the SAM system.  It was recommended I not change the putter but I did change the grip to a round Edel I had tried out of their cart.

Last year I did a full bag fitting which included a putter fitting.  I ended up with an ER6 since it showed the ball skipped less.  Used the putter last year and early this year.  I found myself developing a pull with this putter.  I don’t know what the cause was but it wouldn’t go away.

While in the US on business I tried a TA3 and it rolled very well.  The putter rolled straight but it took me a few weeks and a lot of hours to get distance control while practising from 10-12’.  My issue is my proximity to the hole is not very good so 20’+ putts are the norm.  I just couldn’t get consistent results with the speed of putts.  This consistently caused my line to be off and I left putts too short or too long as they slipped past the hole.  Last Saturday I 3 putted 10 times and new something had to too be done.  Never had less than five 3 putts when using it.

The following Monday I took the TA3 as well as my old Mizuno to the putting green before my round for about 45 minutes.  I spent about 10 minutes with the TA3 hitting straight and breaking putts between 10-40’ from all over the green.  Then I tried the Mizuno and I kicked myself for ever doubting it.  Only left a couple of putts more than 6’ from the hole with the majority within 4’.  Used the Mizuno during the round, made a 30’+ putt and 3 putted three times.  Played Thursday with three 3 putts and Friday with only 2.  Also making more one putts in the 6-10’ range while the TA3 produced only one made in the previous five rounds.

A bit of a long ramble but I have learned my lesson.  If a club works, stick with it.  Chasing after something better worked out terrible for me.  The bright side is I won’t make the same mistake again, hopefully.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I have an old manganese bronze Ping Anser in the bag right now. It’s a great putter. I think many times we over analyze with launch monitors, SAM fittings, etc. when we should just really be more aware of our bodies and our swing. What are we doing that is causing the miss, not what is the equipment doing and what should be adjusted or replaced with $$$.

Glad you found one that works for you, even if it was a long journey that led you right back to where you started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 9 months later...

Put my OLD Never Compromise VooDoo Daddy in the bag this morning.  Dayuummmmmmm  Daddy rolled the rock good enough to stay around so it's my newest oldest addition to my bag.  This is one putter I never thought about trading or giving away. It's good to reunite with the ole fart. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Put my OLD Never Compromise VooDoo Daddy in the bag this morning.  Dayuummmmmmm  Daddy rolled the rock good enough to stay around so it's my newest oldest addition to my bag.  This is one putter I never thought about trading or giving away. It's good to reunite with the ole fart. 

Yup, I’ve got couple putters like that. Sometimes they’re magic for a couple months until it disappears. Have to put it back in the garage to recharge

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Guests
Guest Delete

I found the Evnroll putters are much heavier than old ping anser putters. My Evnroll ER8 has a swingweight of E0, and my Ping Anser is C8.

I use both to work on my mechanics. The Ping shows me my flinches more than the Evnroll because it is lighter. But, I game the Enroll. 

I tried my Dad’s old Ping Anser a couple weekends ago... Wow, was it LIGHT! I had a hard time getting putts to the hole. Back to the SeeMore!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I tried my Dad’s old Ping Anser a couple weekends ago... Wow, was it LIGHT! I had a hard time getting putts to the hole. Back to the SeeMore!

I switch putters often. A couple weeks ago I took out the old Ping Anser 2, BECU. and you’re correct the 340gr putter felt terrible. A few months ago bought the new version Anser 2, SS Vault 350 gr felt great.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 weeks later...

I took this Nead out this morning. It was a good move.IMG_1001.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

I took this Nead out this morning. It was a good move.IMG_1001.thumb.JPG.7aabdb60786866e3d309f997f5f1e82e.JPG

Gene Nead made some unique putters. Always loved looking at them on the putter talk forum.

Have you posted any more pictures to show off the whole putter?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I took this Nead out this morning. It was a good move.IMG_1001.thumb.JPG.7aabdb60786866e3d309f997f5f1e82e.JPG

Now that is one nice putter. Always liked Gene’s work just never pulled the trigger on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Gene Nead made some unique putters. Always loved looking at them on the putter talk forum.

Have you posted any more pictures to show off the whole putter?

No but I will. This was a one of a kind taking one of his designs and modified to my drawing.
I had 3 Neads at one time and stupidly sold 2 of them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Gene Nead 2011IMG_1003.JPGIMG_1004.JPGIMG_1005.JPGIMG_1010.JPG