TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball getting in the way of a good swing.

I'm a big fan of video and carry a tripod in my trunk at all times. Love taping my swing when something feels particularly wrong.

I will say, the last month I've done very little video. Sometimes, I have a nasty habit of trying to hit positions rather than just swing. I find this is made worse by over analyzing the recordings.

Glad you were able to find what works. You sometimes just really do have to, "swing your swing," as they say.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Thanks for the input. I was given a cigar holder that looks like a 2 iron by Barbajo several years ago when we played together. (He played and I chopped weeds.) it turns out it is perfect for holding a cell phone. (I may include a pic next weekend when I get back home.

I really did consider trying to change more of my swing but I realize that any time I got in a pressure situation I would probably revert back. Also, I realized I was nearly paralyzed with swing thoughts.

Now it’s decide how to setup, then feel like I’m rolling the right elbow under while making a full turn, pull the butt of the club through first and hit the ball. Then find the ball. Then repeat.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Don't give up on your dreams of looking like Rory! 🙂 haha. I've been taking lessons at GolfTec for a few weeks now and seeing my swing in slow motion video has been eye opening. I think it's one of the critical elements to fixing your swing. Good luck with the changes!

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

There's an older YouTube video about the driver that's aimed at chronic slicers that talks about setting up with the driver in the middle of your stance and just letting the ball get in the way of a full swing. I remember watching it a few times when I was fighting a banana slice and the concept made a lot of sense to me. 

I used to video my swing but I found that I would then go apply a million tips I found on the Internet and none of them would ever work for more than a range session or two. So I just stick with the basics that I learned over a few lessons with a former mini-tour player and they do OK for me. My biggest issue, like yours Rick, is just not enough time out on the actual course vs. being a range rat.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I use video but am careful with it. You can chase positions too much and actually be detrimental to your game. One of the best things to come out of modern golf teachings is the fact that you can achieve good positions without having a cookie cutter swing or one that looks like Rory. 

Harvey Penick said don't be afraid of the golfer with a good swing and a bad grip, fear the golfer with a bad swing and a bad grip. (paraphrased) 

When I do use video I use slow motion exclusively. I also have a a selfie stick that works great. Somebody on here recommend it and it is perfect. 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=yoozon+selfie+stick&gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCocQ4GwQ1JUecLTLqbuPegBgfdpjO0a2O2uT4pTZFvLoYUaQuHD7OnDhoC_5QQAvD_BwE&hvadid=224105654577&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032262&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2313723202478902827&hvtargid=aud-648278611385%3Akwd-367475320756&hydadcr=27229_10165008&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_8ra0zcmfl1_e

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I downloaded a free app called Swing Profile. You can speed it up x4 or slow it down 1/4 and also freeze frame. It only does like 240 frames per second but that’s plenty. And since it was free it was well worth the money. 🤣

22 hours ago, russtopherb said:

There's an older YouTube video about the driver that's aimed at chronic slicers that talks about setting up with the driver in the middle of your stance and just letting the ball get in the way of a full swing. I remember watching it a few times when I was fighting a banana slice and the concept made a lot of sense to me. 

I used to video my swing but I found that I would then go apply a million tips I found on the Internet and none of them would ever work for more than a range session or two. So I just stick with the basics that I learned over a few lessons with a former mini-tour player and they do OK for me. My biggest issue, like yours Rick, is just not enough time out on the actual course vs. being a range rat.

This sort of makes sense to me. I've got a tee time on Saturday and am going to try this on the range before I head out.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I didn’t have a slicing problem. It was more of a getting out of sync and making poor (not strong enough of a word) contact. I could move the ball back and make great contact, but doing that with a driver does not lead to long, high drives. So I set up and focus on a point 6-8” directly behind the ball and let ‘er rip. I’m sure that subconsciously I’m adjusting my body to the left but it seems to be working.

46 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

I didn’t have a slicing problem. It was more of a getting out of sync and making poor (not strong enough of a word) contact. I could move the ball back and make great contact, but doing that with a driver does not lead to long, high drives. So I set up and focus on a point 6-8” directly behind the ball and let ‘er rip. I’m sure that subconsciously I’m adjusting my body to the left but it seems to be working.

Yeah that's exactly what the video describes doing. Glad it's working for you!

On 7/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, MattF said:

This sort of makes sense to me. I've got a tee time on Saturday and am going to try this on the range before I head out.

Well, I tried it and I have to say it helps, a lot. I still put a few over to the right but it was nowhere near as bad as it has been. I'll be using this set up for the driver for the foreseeable future.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Well, I tried it and I have to say it helps, a lot. I still put a few over to the right but it was nowhere near as bad as it has been. I'll be using this set up for the driver for the foreseeable future.

I am thrilled that a thread I started lead to a reply by someone that helped your game.

I’ve never been a great driver, but these last few weeks I have been.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:20 AM, russtopherb said:

This makes sense. Very simple concept. I have been struggling with driver, and this seems to be a simple thing to try. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

This makes sense. Very simple concept. I have been struggling with driver, and this seems to be a simple thing to try. 

Full disclosure - I still have a two way miss However this setup/drill worked for me because I still suffer from massive hit impulse at times. When that happens I go back to this for a bit to remember to focus on the full swing, not hitting the ball. Having the decoy or just something else to focus on is a big help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I like this tip because swaying is big problem at times! I’ll try this tomorrow🏌️♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Full disclosure - I still have a two way miss emoji1787.png However this setup/drill worked for me because I still suffer from massive hit impulse at times. When that happens I go back to this for a bit to remember to focus on the full swing, not hitting the ball. Having the decoy or just something else to focus on is a big help.

My driver swing is bad. I have hit driver 3 times in the last 12 rounds, 1 into a penalty area to the left, 1 down the middle, and 1 left of the fairway got a good bounce and stayed out of the trees. This drill seems simple enough to follow, in that it makes sense from a driver swing standpoint. You want to hit up on the ball, which means you have to keep your center behind the ball. By setting up with your center behind the ball and using a dummy focal point it seems like it will allow for a full swing without “hitting” the ball, rather the ball getting in the way of the swing.

I'll reiterate...it works. Give it a go and see how you do...I'm a believer.

In the bag:

Bag: 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:20 AM, russtopherb said:

Morning fellas - Thanks for posting this video....it REALLY helped me. First, I'm 49 and have a 9.6 Handicap. I've been struggling with my Driver for the past few weeks. Low and left, which is not normal for me at all. My tempo would get out of whack, causing me to swing harder and harder which just caused things to get worse as the round went on.

Went to the range after work and really focused on staying relaxed and generating a good swing tempo. My swing thought was simply keeping tempo in check. I used another "tip" from a thread here, which was to repeat "Ernie Els"....Ernie in the backswing and Els in the downswing.

Didn't get to hit my driver on the range, as tees were all the way forward....but I was bouncing my 3 wood off the net with a nice little draw.

Decided to try the driver....so I went to the course and played a few holes. Played 4 holes and hit 2 drives per hole using the direction from this video and using the "Ernie Els" swing thought. Absolutely crushed all 8 right down my target line with a slight right to left (5 yards) draw!!!

Really excited about this, as the rest of my game has been pretty solid and looking to get my handicap consistently back down around 6.

So, again, thanks Russtopherb for posting up this video!

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

I tried this, and i believe this will work, however, my driver swing is so bad right now, I don’t even feel like I can hit the ball at this point. I have used the driver a few times so I am getting the feel of the swing back, but I don’t think I can really use this method when I feel completely out of sorts. 

5 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I tried this, and i believe this will work, however, my driver swing is so bad right now, I don’t even feel like I can hit the ball at this point. I have used the driver a few times so I am getting the feel of the swing back, but I don’t think I can really use this method when I feel completely out of sorts. 

I'm also struggling with my driver big time.  I used to be "fairly" decent with my driver, but have developed this "need" to drive from the shoulders and no matter how much I work on overcoming this path, it creeps back in at the most inopportune time.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

28 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I'm also struggling with my driver big time.  I used to be "fairly" decent with my driver, but have developed this "need" to drive from the shoulders and no matter how much I work on overcoming this path, it creeps back in at the most inopportune time.  

I struggled on Saturday of  a tournament, so I thought “I stunk without the driver”, so it can’t be any worse with it, so on Sunday I put the driver in, hole 1 straight down 420 par 4, not trouble unless you go 20 yards right or 30 yards left. So plenty of room, I proceeded to hit my first shot about 240 out and about 50 yards left. Handed the driver to the club pro, and asked him to put it inside so I wasn’t tempted to try again. I have used it a couple time since, and have figured out some, but I am still not really comfortable swinging it yet. I try to use it on hole where my left miss isn’t going to put me out of play. 

I learned something new from this video - how to stop that pop up shot!

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I just took a few swings off my practice mat into a net using this setup and every strike was solid and most were near center of the club face. It seemed like it took a lot less effort to swing from that position compared to setup directly behind the ball. I typically struggle with any kind of consistency with the driver hitting all over the club face, topping it and hitting pop ups. So much so that I was thinking about going 5W for driving in tomorrow's scramble, but I'm excited to try this out now. Going to have to hit the range beforehand and see what kind of flight I get.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

On 8/14/2019 at 9:45 PM, MomoMan83 said:

I just took a few swings off my practice mat into a net using this setup and every strike was solid and most were near center of the club face. It seemed like it took a lot less effort to swing from that position compared to setup directly behind the ball. I typically struggle with any kind of consistency with the driver hitting all over the club face, topping it and hitting pop ups. So much so that I was thinking about going 5W for driving in tomorrow's scramble, but I'm excited to try this out now. Going to have to hit the range beforehand and see what kind of flight I get.

In a scramble, always hit driver. I wish I had a scramble to play, I would hit it 14 times, and hope to figure something out. Since there is usually someone in play, pound the driver, you never know. 

Just now, Kor.A.Door said:

In a scramble, always hit driver. I wish I had a scramble to play, I would hit it 14 times, and hope to figure something out. Since there is usually someone in play, pound the driver, you never know. 

Seniors scramble tomorrow morning....I'm hitting the driver on every hole except the par 3s...even the 2 shorter par 4s that I normally hit a hybrid off the tee box.....on second thought...I'll not hit the driver on #7 .... 2 ponds make it a very poor choice!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I can confirm that the setup change works. 😃 My group played 9 holes tonight. All six driver holes, my drives were well struck, one was just a bit of a slice into some trees, but fairway distance, and the last I hooked into the woods. That last one was weird because I don't hook my driver, usually it's a slice. I think I hit 2 or 3 fairways. Easily the most consistently solid I have ever hit my driver.

Edited by MomoMan83

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

8 hours ago, CarlH said:

Seniors scramble tomorrow morning....I'm hitting the driver on every hole except the par 3s...even the 2 shorter par 4s that I normally hit a hybrid off the tee box.....on second thought...I'll not hit the driver on #7 .... 2 ponds make it a very poor choice!

That’s the best way to do it. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, russtopherb said:

Full disclosure - I still have a two way miss emoji1787.png However this setup/drill worked for me because I still suffer from massive hit impulse at times. When that happens I go back to this for a bit to remember to focus on the full swing, not hitting the ball. Having the decoy or just something else to focus on is a big help.

I wish I could get over this. It's getting somewhat better but far from gone. I had an instructor that used to say, "the ball will talk you out of a good swing" and that is certainly true for me. I'm like the opposite of Charles Barkley...he hesitates and I devastate. I can make the smoothest practice swings and then step up to the ball and it's rarely, if ever, can I just swing the club. I've never been on a launch monitor but I'm presuming that my swing speed is fine...my smash factor is awful.