TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno MP-20

yungkory

Interesting they've done away with the SC line in favor of the MMC and HMB pairing. Poor lefties though, only a special edition combo set available for them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

37 minutes ago, Shankster said:

More interesting is the T-20 Wedges... in Raw... emoji15.png

Of course they’d do that. 44-62 probably through custom if they go the same route as the T-7’s...

Forged wedges in raw from the “feel” company sounds like a winner to me.

Yeah, I was going to make a T20 thread but I knew you'd want to. So I've left you the honors sir.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The only thing that drives me nuts about this release is that the friendliest MP-20 HMB looks near identical to the least-friendly MP-20 MB. I feel like it puts the MMC at odds with the other two when you go to put together a combo set and it just throws the aesthetics off. That's a personal preference though, and I couldn't say for sure how I would assemble a combo set without actually hitting these and seeing ball flights.

Otherwise... I've not seen any clubs more drool-worthy from a major OEM in quite some time. The MP-18's looked decent, but the MP-20's are just next level IMO.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

The only thing that drives me nuts about this release is that the friendliest MP-20 HMB looks near identical to the least-friendly MP-20 MB. I feel like it puts the MMC at odds with the other two when you go to put together a combo set and it just throws the aesthetics off. That's a personal preference though, and I couldn't say for sure how I would assemble a combo set without actually hitting these and seeing ball flights.
Otherwise... I've not seen any clubs more drool-worthy from a major OEM in quite some time. The MP-18's looked decent, but the MP-20's are just next level IMO.

I didn’t think about that, but great point! Hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I really love the look of these, but it does bug me that they nixed the SC, that was by far my favorite of the 3 and replacing that with a hollow club seems to leave a large gap between the MB and MMC. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I have to admit, just seeing the name  MP20 HotMetal Blade got my heart beating fast, but form the initial pics you are correct.  I'm hoping as someone who is more toward the Hot Metal ability than the blade, that there is more to what we are seeing that makes it lean to the more forgiving side of things.   The MMC could indeed be the forgotten child in this group. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have to admit, just seeing the name  MP20 HotMetal Blade got my heart beating fast, but form the initial pics you are correct.  I'm hoping as someone who is more toward the Hot Metal ability than the blade, that there is more to what we are seeing that makes it lean to the more forgiving side of things.   The MMC could indeed be the forgotten child in this group. 

I'm sure the MP-20 HMB performs as intended and offers more forgiveness than the blade. I also expect it's noticeably larger and presents more offset as specified in the blog. My point is more along the "how it looks in the bag" side of things.

Just imagine you put together a combo set with HMB for the 3 & 4, MMC 5-7, and MB 8-PW. That progression would have you go from a slightly larger head that looks drop-dead gorgeous with no cavities or extra bits to disrupt the flowing lines; move on to the MMC which looks fantastic, but has a little bit of a cavity, a titanium "badge" so-to-speak, and some additional laser-etching with the words "Titanium" and "Tungsten"; only to then go back to a pure blade that looks eerily similar to the HMB, but lacks all the technological bells and whistles (as it should). 

I think I'd rather just pick the MMC for everything, but the 3-Iron or go HMB 3, 4, 5, 6, and MB 7, 8, 9, PW.

20 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I really love the look of these, but it does bug me that they nixed the SC, that was by far my favorite of the 3 and replacing that with a hollow club seems to leave a large gap between the MB and MMC. 

I think Mizuno's justification for this was well stated in the MGS blog. There simply wasn't enough performance difference between the MB & SC to warrant the continuation of such a model. If you really look at the MP-18 MB vs. MP-18 SC they are basically the same club except they created a slightly thicker topline on the SC so they could then add a cavity. How much is that cavity really helping anyone? I realize there are a few more very subtle differences intended to add more forgiveness to the SC, but that's pretty much the bulk of it.

57 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I'm sure the MP-20 HMB performs as intended and offers more forgiveness than the blade. I also expect it's noticeably larger and presents more offset as specified in the blog. My point is more along the "how it looks in the bag" side of things.

Just imagine you put together a combo set with HMB for the 3 & 4, MMC 5-7, and MB 8-PW. That progression would have you go from a slightly larger head that looks drop-dead gorgeous with no cavities or extra bits to disrupt the flowing lines; move on to the MMC which looks fantastic, but has a little bit of a cavity, a titanium "badge" so-to-speak, and some additional laser-etching with the words "Titanium" and "Tungsten"; only to then go back to a pure blade that looks eerily similar to the HMB, but lacks all the technological bells and whistles (as it should). 

I think I'd rather just pick the MMC for everything, but the 3-Iron or go HMB 3, 4, 5, 6, and MB 7, 8, 9, PW.

Ahh...I see what you mean now.   But it's a moot point since they'd be hidden with iron covers 😂😂   I'm kidding, I'm completely kidding, I would never!     But yeah, I guess it would be a bit of an odd look for the purest.    But since I think they are all great looking  it wouldn't bother me as much, but I get where you're coming from. 

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ahh...I see what you mean now.   But it's a moot point since they'd be hidden with iron covers 😂😂   I'm kidding, I'm completely kidding, I would never!     But yeah, I guess it would be a bit of an odd look for the purest.    But since I think they are all great looking  it wouldn't bother me as much, but I get where you're coming from. 

LOL!!! That reminds me, I played with a guy in the Ozark Am this weekend that used iron covers and it was all I could do not to say anything about it. I haven't played with anyone who used irons covers since my dad who used them briefly some 20 years ago...

Back on topic though, I'm sure I wouldn't have a real issue with it at the end of the day either. If I purchased a set of these, it would be the first brand new set I owned and would be properly fit so I guarantee I wouldn't mind one bit!!!

As someone who has primarily played blades through the years but doesn't anymore because I need the help - the HMB is great (at least from what I see and read) and a combo set with the MB would be perfect! I have not thought a Mizuno iron was as good looking as the MP 14/29 (the last Mizuno blades I played) until now - these are beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

34 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

LOL!!! That reminds me, I played with a guy in the Ozark Am this weekend that used iron covers and it was all I could do not to say anything about it. I haven't played with anyone who used irons covers since my dad who used them briefly some 20 years ago...

Back on topic though, I'm sure I wouldn't have a real issue with it at the end of the day either. If I purchased a set of these, it would be the first brand new set I owned and would be properly fit so I guarantee I wouldn't mind one bit!!!

Yeah, I think you'd somehow get used to the look..ha

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

... I know some do, but I have never cared what my clubs "look like in the bag" IF they look great at address and give me the performance I need from my irons. I was playing the original AP2's when I discovered Cobra's Amp Forged that were just a little better in every way but had a gaudy bright orange colored cavity with silly looking tungsten on either side of the sole of the 7-3 irons. Just most unappealing in the bag but the look at address was just about perfect and the performance was as good as it gets. Obviously the hideous striped cavity of my P760's would offer further proof of form over function as I think they look terrible in the bag but just awesome at address and I think offer the best combination of size, playability and forgiveness in a players iron.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I know some do, but I have never cared what my clubs "look like in the bag"

I play Nike Vapor Pro Combo irons. Believe me I don't really care too much about looks either (lol), but if I had my druthers, the HMB wouldn't so closely resemble the MB and instead would create a visual progression that matches the performance progression.

It's all much ado about nothing though. It's more an observation than anything really.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Middler said:

I’ve never understood OEMs that suggest combo sets where lofts are different, there will obviously be a gap issue at the crossover. In this case, the MMC and HMB lofts are 2 deg stronger than the MBs - so bend your MBs? At least the MP20 line lofts aren’t as far apart as some OEMs.There was a tester a few  years ago who did a Titleist combo and ended up with two 6 irons in his bag...not for me. YMMV

I plan to buy an MP20 HMB 2-iron though, to replace my 3 hybrid - we’ve never gotten along.

Anyone know if the HMB cavity is filled with something, for acoustics and dampening?

Mizuno will ask how you want the lofts matched and will bend either set to match the other -- based on your fitting.

I don't think the HMB is filled with anything. At least, I didn't hear anything about it in the TxG video with Voshall.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

There's some tungsten in the cavity of the HMB but no elastomers or foams. It does have the same layering of copper and nickel that the rest of the range has and the face and neck are the forged part of the club.

I’ve never understood OEMs that suggest combo sets where lofts are different, there will obviously be a gap issue at the crossover. In this case, the MMC and HMB lofts are 2 deg stronger than the MBs - so bend your MBs? At least the MP20 line lofts aren’t as far apart as some OEMs.There was a tester a few  years ago who did a Titleist combo and ended up with two 6 irons in his bag...not for me. YMMV
I plan to buy an MP20 HMB 2-iron though, to replace my 3 hybrid - we’ve never gotten along.
Anyone know if the HMB cavity is filled with something, for acoustics and dampening?

I really want to try these they look gorgeous I would almost guarantee you i would be fit in the HMB's they look beautiful. I was testing out the JPX Hot Metal Pro and they were flying well. Wish I could get these out for an on course round may need to see if there are any courses near me to try these or HMP 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I hit all 3 of the MP 20 models yesterday.  They all felt and sounded wonderful.  I was surprised that the HMB sounded so good given its hollow design.  The MMC and HMB were giving me my regular distances even though they are 2 degrees weaker than my current irons.  The MP 20s gave me the numbers I would expect from a traditionally lofted blade. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

30 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Arent the MMC's a bit strong compared to "traditional" lofts?

MMC's and HMB's are the same loft which is 2-degrees stronger than the MP-20 blade from the 8-iron and up. They're pretty close to what I would call modern-traditional. Starting with the 4-iron, they go 22, 25, 28, 32, 36, 41, 46. MP-20 blade goes 24, 27, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46.

What I'd consider "traditional" lofts is going to have the PW somewhere closer to 49-degrees and we haven't really seen anyone release a PW with that loft in quite some time.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Tiger spec'd P7TW have 49° PW but your point stands as the standard spec of the set is 47°.

MMC's and HMB's are the same loft which is 2-degrees stronger than the MP-20 blade from the 8-iron and up. They're pretty close to what I would call modern-traditional. Starting with the 4-iron, they go 22, 25, 28, 32, 36, 41, 46. MP-20 blade goes 24, 27, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46.
What I'd consider "traditional" lofts is going to have the PW somewhere closer to 49-degrees and we haven't really seen anyone release a PW with that loft in quite some time.

5 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Tiger spec'd P7TW have 49° PW but your point stands as the standard spec of the set is 47°.

Yeah, I thought about about that, but it's pretty uncommon. Tiger's setup is definitely old-school and you won't find many sets with those lofts on tour - on any tour.

19 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Arent the MMC's a bit strong compared to "traditional" lofts?

Yes, but they are one to two degrees weak compared to most current GI and SGI sets on the market.  For instance, my Titleist 718 AP1s have a 30 degree 7 iron.  The new Titleist T300s have a 29 degree 7 iron, which is 2 clubs stronger than my Ping Eye 2s.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Yes, but they are one to two degrees weak compared to most current GI and SGI sets on the market.  For instance, my Titleist 718 AP1s have a 30 degree 7 iron.  The new Titleist T300s have a 29 degree 7 iron, which is 2 clubs stronger than my Ping Eye 2s.

that's understandable given the difference in class of irons.

Golf is cool

I love the looks of these and am wondering how forgiving the hot metals are.  Nobody makes a better looking iron then Mizuno.  I have seen reviews where guys are using a combo set and they have not said anything negative about looking down at the top line. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

• 1 month later...

I just got a call today from the store, that my MP-20 SELs will be shipping out to the store this Thursday and should be here early next week!!!!!!   Now I can't wait!!!    Pure Buttery heaven can't come soon enough for me!

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

• 2 weeks later...

Update after my second round with the SELs yesterday. I was playing a completely new course to me and we went from the Championship Tees with 15 mph winds (Texas). Doing so gave me the opportunity to use my longer irons frequently in the round, including longer par 3s and some longer par 4s as well. In regards to the MB, I

got to play my MB 5 iron, 5 times today and have to say I'm really impressed with the results (please note this is the lowest MB iron in the SEL set). From the 5 shots, 4 were in the green (closest was 6 feet) and 1 was around 10 yards short of the green due to my own error. I would take that EVERY single day for sure!!! Kinda still wish us lefties had the option to have 3-4 in MB as well, but is a move forward with Mizuno and no biggie. Next year I hope the JPX Tour version gets released in left-handed and I will be buying them as well if that's the case (I'm that in awe with these Mizuno irons)

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020