Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best way to butt trim taper tip shafts

dan_t

HI All

As the topic says I am doing a dry build on a set of forged cavity backs (new) and PX taper tip shafts (new) and I am running with a 38 1/2' 4 iron.

I was contemplating rough cutting the shafts then dry installing each head onto it's shaft then laying the clubs toe down on a table butted up against the hosel (to get all clubs the exact same length)

then using a 1/2 gauge and going 1/2 space shaft to shaft on the butt end. To get them accurate for 1/2" difference sand the butts on a 90* flat sander then re measure butt of club to club hosel(s) evenly against the edge of the table.

In theory does this sound OK?

I just want to get this set sickly accurate.

Thank You

It'll work, if the BBTG measurement on every club is identical. If it's not, your whole set will be thrown out of whack. You'd be better served using a correct club measuring ruler and cutting after the shafts are installed, manufacturing tolerances what they are.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It'll work, if the BBTG measurement on every club is identical. If it's not, your whole set will be thrown out of whack. You'd be better served using a correct club measuring ruler and cutting after the shafts are installed, manufacturing tolerances what they are.

+100.

And remember to cut an extra 1/8" to account for the extra length the grip cap will add to the total length of the finished club.

Get a 60 degree angle and you're set.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I measured the center of the sole and clubface and went from there.... I tried a protractor and the exact measure tool but wanted to get them 110% on bang lengths

Just want this set as tight and accurate as I can be

I think these will be a delight to hit

I measured the center of the sole and clubface and went from there.... I tried a protractor and the exact measure tool but wanted to get them 110% on bang lengths

Just want this set as tight and accurate as I can be

I think these will be a delight to hit

You want them set up to measure on a 60 degree angle, honestly. Just measuring from the center of the clubface isn't really accurate as far as measuring goes. Setting them up on a 60 degree angle is the best measuring method to ensure that you're getting the right measurement. I've built the jig before, and it works well, but I just bought the appropriate tool and now it's a snap. Here's what I have: http://www.mitchellgolf.com/products/CLUBLENGTH_Ruler_Measuring_Tool_Kit-288-0.html

In The Bag

BLUE....

I have the maltby exact measure tool what I ended up on doing is buying a protractor from the dollar store and setting the angle of the sole plate to 60* and measuring from there. I got them all perfectly exact. I know there is differences due to bounce profiles in the soles from the 4 to the P head.

Anyways dude, got them 110% bang on now so I can pursue getting them SST pured now....

I want this experiment to be the most accurate ans sickest set to date.

I run a KBS 130 g .370 shaft in my main MMB blades cut to 5.5 and I have them tipped accordingly 3 to the 60*. I was told these will CPM out to a 5.1 or so (prostix told me) I know they are softer then their taper tip brothers.... I am going back to PX again however this time it is taper tips and it's 5.0 flex which I think should play similar to my KBS They are High Launch shafts as well and I am going with forged CB heads (Maltby TE)

I liked the 6.0 and 5.5 the only problem was that I felt I didn't have the proper CHS to load these shafts. I am hoping that these shafts will be significantly better. I swing a 6 iron 85 on average and a 5 88 on average with a smooth tempo so that being said, with the KBS thats why I like them, I can feel the heads in the swing. I only paid $44 for the 4-PW PX HL so this is a cheap experiment.

Thanks Man

You want them set up to measure on a 60 degree angle, honestly. Just measuring from the center of the clubface isn't really accurate as far as measuring goes. Setting them up on a 60 degree angle is the best measuring method to ensure that you're getting the right measurement. I've built the jig before, and it works well, but I just bought the appropriate tool and now it's a snap. Here's what I have: http://www.mitchellgolf.com/products/CLUBLENGTH_Ruler_Measuring_Tool_Kit-288-0.html

Archived