TESTERS WANTED! ×

Jordan Spieth puts T100 Irons in Play at The Open

Following is a press release from Titleist.   This is huge news in my mind, as he's been a devoted AP2 user for several years, this must speak volumes in his confidence in the new irons. 

JORDAN SPIETH MAKES SWITCH TO NEW TITLEIST T100 IRONS AT THE OPEN 

Add Jordan Spieth to the list of players who have made the switch to the new Titleist T100 irons. 

Titleist officially launched its new T-Series - as well as the new 620 MB and 620 CB irons - at the U.S. Open, and the T100 has quickly become one of the most played models on the PGA TOUR.  Charles Howell III and Cam Smith switched the first week. They have since been joined by Open Championship participants Charley Hoffman and Sungjae Im. Titleist has been the most played iron brand on the PGA TOUR for six consecutive years and 15 of the last 16. 

While Spieth waited to put the T100's in the bag until the season's final major, he is not unfamiliar with the iron. In fact, according to lead Titleist Tour Representative,  J.J. VanWezenbeeck, Jordan was clearly the most influential player in the development process. 

"It was over two years ago that Jordan and [Titleist Director of Iron Development] Marni Ines had already started discussing what Jordan was looking for in a next generation iron," said VanWezenbeeck. "The keys for Jordan were sole, offset, and overall look. As we created early prototypes and discussed specifics with Jordan and other players, we found an opportunity to take everything we learned with the AP2 line and build an entirely new iron. There was an obvious challenge to surpass the most played tour iron in the world." 

The final T100 prototype was revealed to Jordan and other select players during a Titleist photo shoot at Scioto CC during the week of the Memorial. 

"Jordan immediately commented that the offset and top line was everything he wanted," said VanWezenbeeck. "As we moved to the tee, Jordan kept commenting to Marni about how the club set up and the look was just what he was looking for. Knowing we succeeded in those categories, now the question became, 'are you getting the performance of the AP2 line and more, despite being in a sleeker chassis?' His performance and responses at the hitting session confirmed we succeeded at what we set out to do." 

Spieth immediately referenced the improvement in sole interaction and feel on the face. He also saw an increase in ball speed at the top of the bag which allowed even better distance gapping. Spieth was asked to provide his reaction to his initial fitting session with the new irons. 

"The way these turned out is amazing," said Spieth. "I remember a couple of years ago when we were talking about my AP2's and the Titleist team asked what I'd like to see improved. I told them I preferred the sole being a little bit different and the least amount of offset and top-line as possible. When I set the new T100's down for the first time I could already tell the difference compared to my gamer AP2 irons. They made the exact improvements I was looking for in an iron. They look really, really good. They slide through the turf nicely, and my mishits are straighter and further than on my AP2 irons." 

Spieth, who is not one to change equipment without a lengthy testing period, asked if he could put the T100's in play that week. However, the tour launch for the new irons was not scheduled until the Rocket Mortgage Classic. Due to the player feedback Titleist received at the photo shoot, the launch was accelerated two weeks earlier to the U.S. Open. Spieth decided to take the irons home and familiarize himself with them during an extended time off. He is confident the new irons are game ready. 

"When I first saw the T100 irons and it didn't say 'AP2' on it, I had to have full trust," said Spieth. "I'm sitting there saying, 'Man, I played the same iron that said the same thing on it since 2010,  probably earlier.' But I've been playing Titleist clubs since I was 12 years old, and they've never led me the wrong direction and they've always gotten better. And the idea of a name change – really an entire change across the board with their irons – is big. But there are big changes. These T100s are fantastic." 

image.jpeg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

That’s pretty cool that he’s put it in already. He hates change and has waffled on irons and woods for 4 years. 

I haven’t looked but I’m wondering if he had u500/510 in 3&4 irons or even up to a 2 iron

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

Might as well, he can't hit anything he's currently gaming anymore. 

Yea, no kidding.  A game that's gone from the penthouse to the outhouse faster than any I can recall.  TGC was just showing his 2019 season stats... really hard to believe he's fallen that far.  I sure hope the new irons get some mojo back for him.  For a brief time it looked like it was going to the the Speith vs. Thomas tour.  That was short lived.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s pretty cool that he’s put it in already. He hates change and has waffled on irons and woods for 4 years. 

I haven’t looked but I’m wondering if he had u500/510 in 3&4 irons or even up to a 2 iron

He put the U500 (4 iron) in play at the Memorial, and up to his last tournament still  had a 818 H2 21*.   The Darrel report isn't out yet for this week, so the people at Titleist aren't sure if he's going to change that by the time he tees off. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Looks to have worked alright for him today!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

He's definitely playing solidly with them in the bag so far. I would love to see him stay in contention all weekend.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I’d play them!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Jordan will get back into form with or without the gear but he played pretty well with these over there. Problem for him is the rest of his career will be measured by a 2 year span of possibly unrepeatable performance maybe even in his own mind. But I digress, I’ve never been a titleist equipment player for no other reason than I could never afford to try one. Not to say that I can afford many of the other OEMs but they were a tad more accessible for me at the time. Good looking gear though. I know plenty of fellas who will wanna get these in their bag ASAP. Till the next release at least...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:07 PM, EthanSterlingPrice said:

Jordan will get back into form with or without the gear but he played pretty well with these over there. Problem for him is the rest of his career will be measured by a 2 year span of possibly unrepeatable performance maybe even in his own mind.

That's a great point.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)