TESTERS WANTED! ×

No Putts Given: Episode 9

MGS Ball Testing  

165 members have voted

1. 1. MyGolfSpy's ball testing and #FindItCutIt revelations:

• have already influenced a ball purchase of mine.
    • have changed what ball I plan to buy next.
    • have caused me to get rid of/give away balls in my stash.
    • have no influence on the ball I play.

Another episode of straight talk from Adam, Sam, Harry, and Tony. Topics in this episode: the Open Championship, a 200+ score from a serious golfer, more #FindItCutIt revelations, and new equipment from Mizuno and Callaway.

YouTube link:

Audio version on iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/no-putts-given-episode-9/id1356729135?i=1000444702845

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I enjoyed this episode of NPG a lot. It was nice to see the guys clarify their points about all the ball discussion a bit better and even offer some perspective from the manufacturers' side. Obviously, I hope Callaway will follow through on their statements about investigating the quality of their balls. If nothing else, everything MGS has done will force me to spend more time considering my next ball purchase. I don't care about the marketing story Vice is trying to sell, but I do care about consistent quality. Titleist seems to be the clear leader for quality and if I can afford their balls, I will certainly play them (I have in the past - it just hurts my already thin wallet).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I watched the discussion today about the Callaway balls. The picture of the cut ball revealed and off-centered core but I noticed the the cover thickness appeared to be thinner on the left side versus the right side. Maybe it was an optical illusion but it sure appeared that way.

This was probably my favorite episode so far. I really love what Mizuno is doing and at some point I’ll have another set of Mizzies in the bag. And some of those iron lifts? Un-freaking-real . I guess it just goes to show that the distance chasing market is alive and well!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

15 minutes ago, GilB said:

I watched the discussion today about the Callaway balls. The picture of the cut ball revealed and off-centered core but I noticed the the cover thickness appeared to be thinner on the left side versus the right side. Maybe it was an optical illusion but it sure appeared that way.

It's possible, but it also depends on how/where the ball is cut. If the cut travels through a dimple then there will be less cover material on top of the inner layers. I tried to cut several balls along the seam, but my cheap cutters drift and would create this very scenario. 

After playing with @Thin2win(Chris) this past weekend, and chatting about various balls, I'm more inclined to pay a bit more attention to which balls I play.  I haven't purchased balls for years - simply found too many at the courses I've played, and many are quality balls.  Importantly, I now know not to throw those Snell MTB-X back into the lake or weeds 😉.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

In the find it cut it segment of Episode 9, for the Chrome Soft ball the Sam cut open, would the ball flight be different based on where the heavy side of the core is located when the ball is placed on a tee?  In other words, if the heavy side of the core is positioned facing up when the ball is placed on a tee, would the ball trajectory be higher?  If the heavy side of the core is facing away from the golfer or toward the golfer, would the ball flight produce a slice or hook respectively?

11 minutes ago, Woody_1448 said:

In the find it cut it segment of Episode 9, for the Chrome Soft ball the Sam cut open, would the ball flight be different based on where the heavy side of the core is located when the ball is placed on a tee?  In other words, if the heavy side of the core is positioned facing up when the ball is placed on a tee, would the ball trajectory be higher?  If the heavy side of the core is facing away from the golfer or toward the golfer, would the ball flight produce a slice or hook respectively?

I can't find the post, but Tony talks about how it would alter the ball flight and spin axis for the ball.  The change in spin axis would cause the ball to have a different trajectory which I guess could be higher, lower but more likely farther left or right.   The ball cut open was one of the balls used during the ball test which could explain the weird results they saw with the chromesofts.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wonder if they people that answered #finditcutit wasn't had any influence on what ball I play because they are already playing Titleist, Bridgestone, or Srixon.  That is the case for me.  I've been playing Z-Star for a few years now because I love the performance out of it.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Once again, these guys hit the jackpot with this episode. Keep the ball rolling. As you guys get bigger and bigger, I hope to see you guys tone it down with some of the bad language. I just think it takes a little bit away from your professionalism and with the unbelievable work you guys are doing, i'd hate to see that overshadow anything. Just one persons opinion.

Other than that, the Callaway news was amazing. The equipment reveals and analysis seems to be spot on and once again, i watched the entire episode and it felt like it was 2 minutes long. Not boring at all for a long episode. great work

Golf is cool

One of the guys made a spreadsheet that allowed you to input various weighting on different parts of the game and he number he had were input from the ball testing. After entering my wants/needs from a golf ball it told me I should use the B XS from Bridgestone. I had tried B-stone in be past and didn’t care for them, but I decided I would at least put a good effort into trying the new ball. I switched from Callaway Truvis to the BXS and this ball has really done well for me. I have scored my lowest round of golf in many years with it. I don’t think I ever would have tried it if not for the test. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

7 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I wonder if they people that answered #finditcutit wasn't had any influence on what ball I play because they are already playing Titleist, Bridgestone, or Srixon.  That is the case for me.  I've been playing Z-Star for a few years now because I love the performance out of it.

yes, that was me as well.   I had to think about it before answering, as it doesn't fully say why it had no influence on me, but it was the closest thing to its, since I'm not going to change from what I feel is the best ball out there. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Srixon's already running ads based on the MGS test and #finditcutit

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Has anyone seen off-centered cores in the Snell MTB balls, I'm only asking because of the MGS ball test results showing the MTB-X to have missed the target line by somewhat large amounts. Also, I know that people complained about the MTB-Red ballooning, hence the discontinue. However, I don't recall ever having this problem with the Red's, and I loved the green side spin I would get with them. Anyway, I took this picture of the Red, Black & X, and noticed that the Red was made in China, while the Black and X are made in Korea...not sure if that plays a part.
IMG_3240.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Didn't change the ball I play since I was already playing a Pro V1x and I am happy with the performance. (I also got 4 dozen when they did their promotion this spring, so it wasn't likely going to change that until next time anyway).

What it did do.... I have two zip lock bags in my trunk.  One is labeled "Crap Ballz" (yes with a 'Z') and the other is "Good Balls."  The Crap Ballz I collect and give to a few friends of mine who are new.  Their might be good tour balls in there but they may have a scuff or two or something else preventing me from wanting to play it.  The other bag usually had other companies premium balls if I found them.  As a result of the test there are far fewer balls going into the "Good Balls" bag which I might have grabbed one or two out of to try on the course.

At the end of the day, I think it is unlikely that I'll move away from the Pro V series anytime soon.

If nothing else, it validated my personal findings and allowed me to not feel as bad about my #ballsnobbery

Also, I have a new Pro V1x that I won't play now, tore some of the cover up... If I can find a way to I might just #finditcutit for everyone.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

wow. that is amazing. I never tried the srixon ball....maybe i should start!!

I like the Q Star Tour a lot for my game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/19/2019 at 8:39 AM, Kor.A.Door said:

One of the guys made a spreadsheet that allowed you to input various weighting on different parts of the game and he number he had were input from the ball testing. After entering my wants/needs from a golf ball it told me I should use the B XS from Bridgestone. I had tried B-stone in be past and didn’t care for them, but I decided I would at least put a good effort into trying the new ball. I switched from Callaway Truvis to the BXS and this ball has really done well for me. I have scored my lowest round of golf in many years with it. I don’t think I ever would have tried it if not for the test. 

We'll don't hold out on us, where's the spreadsheet? Haha

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

8 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

It's in the ball testing thread, maybe 10 pages from the end IIRC.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, M. Parsons said:

Has anyone seen off-centered cores in the Snell MTB balls, I'm only asking because of the MGS ball test results showing the MTB-X to have missed the target line by somewhat large amounts. Also, I know that people complained about the MTB-Red ballooning, hence the discontinue. However, I don't recall ever having this problem with the Red's, and I loved the green side spin I would get with them. Anyway, I took this picture of the Red, Black & X, and noticed that the Red was made in China, while the Black and X are made in Korea...not sure if that plays a part.
IMG_3240.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've cut open a few MTB-Blacks and haven't seen anything out of place. Ballooning wouldn't suggest much as far as off-centered cores IMO, and I'm sure Dean Snell does something to ensure a higher level of quality than other DTC brands. It's unlikely he staffs anyone at or near the manufacturing plant (which is common in some other industries), but I'd be willing to bet he either makes a few trips himself or that he and his staff cut open a sample size or verify quality in some other way once they receive the balls.

For the 14.95% of Spys that are giving away their balls I am happy to send you my address!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

11 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

I believe it was txgolfjunkie who did the spreadsheet. It may be easier to pm him and ask. Otherwise I think it is about page 9-10 in the ball testing thread. 

2 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I believe it was txgolfjunkie who did the spreadsheet. It may be easier to pm him and ask. Otherwise I think it is about page 9-10 in the ball testing thread. 

Hate to be dense, but which ball testing thread? There seem to be quite a few and I tried searching a few of them. 

Edit: NM, I think I finally found it here: 

Edited by Tarheelvolvo

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

1 hour ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Hate to be dense, but which ball testing thread? There seem to be quite a few and I tried searching a few of them. 

Edit: NM, I think I finally found it here: 

That’s the one. I ended up Making a copy and downloaded it to my phone. After you input all of your preferences, look for the ball that shows the lowest number to the right. There will be a few that are close probably, and then pick a couple to try. It worked well for me

On 7/19/2019 at 2:48 PM, Tsecor said:

wow. that is amazing. I never tried the srixon ball....maybe i should start!!

Absolutely love the Q-Star tour

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I won't be buying any new balls soon...only because I have about 8 dozen z*stars in my stash in addition to the 4 dozen pro V1s I still need to go through...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder