TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Alignment Aids

ED13

Just wondering what alignment aids people prefer.

I prefer a single dot or line so I can narrow my focus.  Multiple lines or other wider alignment aids distract me more.  The cleaner the top of the putter the better I like it.  Both of my kids seem to gravitate to putters with ball width alignment aids.  Curious what people prefer and why.

Also, does colour of markings on the top of the putter matter to you?  I prefer white on a dark putter as it it easier for me to see.  

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Site dot on the top line. Use as a reminder for ball position and to move that spot through the ball and over the target line at impact.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

They don’t really matter to me. Dot, line, more lines, none, doesn’t matter. I seem to putt the same with any of them. I’d like to try the MLA thing, but I don’t see myself switching away from Evnroll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Definitely like the white dot on top! I like to use Pelz putting aid. Makes you have to roll the ball right on target or you will knock the balls of the aid. Great way to get the ball rolling correct and hitting it dead center.

-Nicole Collins

Expert @ Curated Golf - feel free to chat with me directly here https://curated.page.link/1Y3f!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a few putters over the years. The biggest improvement for me was when I bought a Plop and actually spent time on the practice green. I just got the Scotty Cameron and haven't hit it yet. For a measly 30 bucks, plus shipping, I can have the Custom Shop add a line or dot(10 each for each additional line or dot thereafter). That said, I do like the lines on the Gyro.

From left: Tour Model 506, Plop, Dunlop BTS-4, Ray Cook GyroML, and Scotty Cameron Newport.

20190808_230018_resized.jpg

Edited by Targetdrone

Irons:mizuno-small: MP-62 4-PW forged

Driver:mizuno-small:JPX-EZ 2016

Fairway Woods :titelist-small: j910F 15 + 19 deg.

Hybrid :bridgestone-small:J40 4H

Putter :cameron-small: Studio Select Newport

Wedge :titelist-small: Vokey 250-08 50deg

Wedge :titelist-small:Vokey 54-11 54deg

Shoes :nike-small:2012 Lunar Control with Pulsar SoftSpikes

Bag :bridgestone-small:

On 7/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, ED13 said:

I prefer a single dot or line so I can narrow my focus.  Multiple lines or other wider alignment aids distract me more.  The cleaner the top of the putter the better I like it.  Both of my kids seem to gravitate to putters with ball width alignment aids.  Curious what people prefer and why.

Also, does colour of markings on the top of the putter matter to you?  I prefer white on a dark putter as it it easier for me to see.  

The alignment lines on my 6m are mostly seen as peripheral objects. I tend to focus mostly on the front-most, blade-like portion of the putter head and make sure it's perpendicular to my line. I've found that setup to consistently provide the best results for me. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 5 weeks later...
The alignment lines on my 6m are mostly seen as peripheral objects. I tend to focus mostly on the front-most, blade-like portion of the putter head and make sure it's perpendicular to my line. I've found that setup to consistently provide the best results for me. 

Edel has some good theories on lines vs dots. Some people are better at the perpendicular view and need dots or nothing at all, others need lines.

Just noticed your handle and avatar. One of my favorite albums.

58 minutes ago, bluesmandan76 said:

Just noticed your handle and avatar. One of my favorite albums.

Going to see them for the first time in Tulsa. Been listening to DH since my brother brought home Summer of Darkness in 2004.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I did a putter fitting with the Edel cart a number of years ago.  It was informative to try the different configurations to see what worked better.   In the end my putter at the time was not bested but I did end up changing the grip from pistol to round.  More feedback and better hand placement for me.  Going through something like this is worth the time and expense.  Helps validate some things you thought and learn something new.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Going to see them for the first time in Tulsa. Been listening to DH since my brother brought home Summer of Darkness in 2004.

I saw them several years ago in their tour for Storm the Gates of Hell. Maylene & tsod was with them. Great show. I wonder if they play golf? Alice Cooper does.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:15 AM, ED13 said:

I don't have a preference, but I've been putting with an oldie but goodie for the last two months- a never compromise tdp 3.2 (anser style putter).  There's a color difference in the impact areas that helps frame the ball a bit better for me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=never+compromise+anser+putter+circa+2000&oq=never&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j0l2.3963j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=N7LMopmF6nGJ5M:

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I game the ER6 and inked out the alignment lines to my liking. 

Essentially I changed the alignment lines from:

-----------------

-----------------

-----------------

to:

--

------------------

--

It's similar to the Ketsch alignment which I really liked. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 7 months later...

Throwback Monday? Sure, why not!

Just received this order today:

The idea of this alignment aid intrigued me. So far, I'm getting along with it quite well. I have a drill I do regularly: 18 putts from around my green, varying lengths and breaks. My first attempt with this Stroke Lab R-Ball, I made 14/18, which ties my personal record. I might have to put it through the same testing I did with all my other putters, to see if it can earn a spot in the putter rotation this season.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 3 months later...

I prefer my putter not to have any alignment aid at all.  I also prefer to use a ball without any line or alignment aid.  It all seems distracting to me.  If I am busy aligning my ball with my start line, then aligning my putter with with the ball, I am relaxed and focused on the task at hand. 

4-P Hogan Edge (2018 version)

52 degree Hogan Equalier wedge

Arnold Palmer The Original  putter

Founder Club  hybrid 18 degrees

Taylor Made Burner 3 & 5 wood.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, ED13 said:

Well a year ago I would say small dot and/or oval (original TP MILLS like). But since switching to Odyssey TT #10 its the lines I very much like today. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand how a single dot could possibly help align anything.

My main putter is just a plain 8802 with nothing on it at all.  My 2 backup putters are different models of Odyssey O works with heavy lines and color changes to help align.  I go to those when in a putting funk and it seems to help me get back on track.  I end up using the 8802 about 3/4 of the time but never more than a couple of weeks it seems before the stroke gets too rounded and I start pushing puts then not seeing the line.

Edited by ChrisNH

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

On 8/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, ChrisNH said:

I don't understand how a single dot could possibly help align anything.

I would encourage you to take a look at Tiger's Scotty.

Single dot or nothing at all can really free up the stroke. I gamed a Ping Anser Milled with no alignment and I didn't stress over alignment. I don't have hard data to back it up, but I believe that was probably some of the most lax putting I've had in the last few years. I read the greens, I determined the speed and line, got up and hit the putt. I didn't have to worry about my ball being perfectly lined up and then getting the putter face exactly square...it was just point and shoot. So much of putting is between the ears and if you have one less thing to worry about, it could be beneficial. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty