SteddyGolf

Mizuno 919 mistake then surprise

Looking for a little more forgiveness and distance I decided to table my current irons (Mizuno MP5),  so off I headed to the local Golf fitter to spec out some new irons.  When all was said and done the Mizuno 919 Forged with Stiff graphite shafts (a first for me) worked the best.   I took the spec sheet with me, grabbed a cold beverage and then saddled up to the computer to complete my order.   This was to be my first endeavor in the game improvement iron category.  10 days later my irons arrived.   Much to my dismay the wrong irons were sent to me.  Yes, the specs were as ordered but instead of receiving my 919 Forged I received the bladed 919 Forged Tour.   The sad part is I was the one who made the mistake 😞.   I had both sets in my shopping bag and simply deleted the wrong model.  

Given it was my mistake I decided to "suck it up butter cup" and give them a try.   Boy am I glad I did.  They performed excellently.  I gained a full club in distance, ball flight was a lazy draw and the stiff graphite shafts absorbed shock to my joints.  Would the larger 919 Forged perform even better???  If you are currently a blade gamer and are considering moving to a game improvement iron my recommendation is now to take baby steps.  The 919 Forged Tour with stiff graphite shafts is an improvement over my MP5 set with regular AMT steel shafts.  

• Like 6

It's awesome when we trip and fall into a bed a roses instead of a pile of rocks.  

I've heard they are among son of the best irons out there....for the right skill level of course. 

• Like 3

The 919 tours are incredible. Best iron I've ever hit 

• Like 2

Awesome! I never get that lucky! I’m Charlie Brown at Halloween, “I got a rock...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

The Mizuno 919 Tour are such great irons! Mizuno makes some of the best forged irons on the market. Glad it worked out for you!

-Nicole Collins

Expert @ Curated Golf - feel free to chat with me directly here https://curated.page.link/1Y3f!

• Like 1

The 919's look and feel so pure!  What shafts did you put in them?  I have the Modus in mine and am in love with that shaft!

• Like 1

Interesting that you went with the stiff graphite... any particular reason?

4 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Easier on the joints I'm guessing. I'm considering it in the near future. Trying to minimize the damage my wrists take after years of destroying them bailing on skateboards and typing at my computer. 

I've been scouring the bay and classifieds for a set of 919 forged but haven't gotten lucky yet with shafts. I think I'm just going to get them in the same specs I was fit for 2 years ago until I can get to the mainland for a fitting from somewhere like Truespec or Coolclubs

• Like 3

Do they feel as good as the mp5? (That’s what I’m hitting)

• Like 1

They feel really good when that miss hit that would be in the front bunker with the mp5 ends up as a 30 footer a little short and right of the target.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, revkev said:

They feel really good when that miss hit that would be in the front bunker with the mp5 ends up as a 30 footer a little short and right of the target. emoji6.png

Well now he just went to the 919 tour, not g410 magnum sgi spade-o-matic.😂

I went with the stiff graphite on the recommendation of the fitter. He was watching me hit balls and noted the club head was lagging (bending) behind me. My miss is a fat shot so as soon as he made that statement I had a “ah ha” moment”. Once we changed out the shafts his observation was validated. Good call on his part.

They feel very different from the MP5s. The sound is also very different. I think were the 919 Forged Tour out performs the MP5s the most is on off center hits.

Easier on the joints I'm guessing. I'm considering it in the near future. Trying to minimize the damage my wrists take after years of destroying them bailing on skateboards and typing at my computer. 
I've been scouring the bay and classifieds for a set of 919 forged but haven't gotten lucky yet with shafts. I think I'm just going to get them in the same specs I was fit for 2 years ago until I can get to the mainland for a fitting from somewhere like Truespec or Coolclubs

Absolutely easier on the joints and I have truly gained a club and a half. I’m not and never have been a big hitter However, I can now push my 7 out to 165 which is a huge benefit.