TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tempo and Timing

Played in a match today, and later in the match probably the last 7 holes I felt like my tempo and/or timing got out of whack a little. So I was giving a lot of strokes in the match today so I felt like I had to make birdie in order to win or tie holes so I felt like I was pressing a little bit, and kind of felt like I was too quick with my swing and in doing so I was pulling everything to the right. So I guess the question is. What do you guys do to sort of reset yourself when you start to speed up and lose your tempo on the course?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I try to hit punch shots and make my self take my time with my swing. It’s hard to do cause I feel like I end up “swinging slow” but once I get a few good swings with great contact I’m back in my groove

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Usually just go play another day cures it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yep, timing is everything. I can go from 84 to 93 to 80. Just a matter of timing.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 6:29 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

Played in a match today, and later in the match probably the last 7 holes I felt like my tempo and/or timing got out of whack a little. So I was giving a lot of strokes in the match today so I felt like I had to make birdie in order to win or tie holes so I felt like I was pressing a little bit, and kind of felt like I was too quick with my swing and in doing so I was pulling everything to the right. So I guess the question is. What do you guys do to sort of reset yourself when you start to speed up and lose your tempo on the course?

There are a lot of tempo drills that you can do to get back on track but I'll let you search for those on your own.  The other side to this issue is resitting the default impulse to 'change' your game or 'make' something happen.  These statements are reserved for those who hold these concepts as romantic thoughts about what it means to compete.  For the majority, competition, is about doing the simple things really well and consistently.  What is simple?  Strategy, targeting, identifying environmental conditions that can affect your shot, and choosing the correct club.  Let's start with strategy.  The correct strategy is sufficient when you play by yourself, compete against a friend, an alien golfer, a man or woman, in match play, in stroke play, on the LPGA, European Tour, LET, PGA, USGA, & US Kids.  there is never a need to change or adjust strategy for any reason - period.  The game is about creating opportunities and minimizing most bogeys and all doubles and worse.   You can practice the correct strategy, simulate it on the range or the course, use a book so you always make the right decision or do whatever it takes to not fall prey to the 'strategy changes' myth.  Good luck!

There are a lot of tempo drills that you can do to get back on track but I'll let you search for those on your own.  The other side to this issue is resitting the default impulse to 'change' your game or 'make' something happen.  These statements are reserved for those who hold these concepts as romantic thoughts about what it means to compete.  For the majority, competition, is about doing the simple things really well and consistently.  What is simple?  Strategy, targeting, identifying environmental conditions that can affect your shot, and choosing the correct club.  Let's start with strategy.  The correct strategy is sufficient when you play by yourself, compete against a friend, an alien golfer, a man or woman, in match play, in stroke play, on the LPGA, European Tour, LET, PGA, USGA, & US Kids.  there is never a need to change or adjust strategy for any reason - period.  The game is about creating opportunities and minimizing most bogeys and all doubles and worse.   You can practice the correct strategy, simulate it on the range or the course, use a book so you always make the right decision or do whatever it takes to not fall prey to the 'strategy changes' myth.  Good luck!

Great stuff Ed. Have been following this approach when I have been playing and I am seeing much better results overall. Still make mistakes, but the big numbers are getting under control.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When I find myself getting fast, I try to slow my swing down with the words "easy money" during a couple of practice swings.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug