GolfSpy MPR

A DIY Stroke Lab shaft? Why not!

Cool project! End result looks pretty cool too! Nice work. I’ll have to check in and see how you like the feel of this DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is neat. When rolling a stroke lab, the first takeaway was how much better I felt the head weight thorough the stroke. Does this have that same effect?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Love the ingenuity in this and interested in hearing the results. Wish I had thought of this!

Just to help clarify what stroke lab did was to make a putter that had the same total weight and distribute the weight to the head and grip ends. Pretty sure You can find the % distribution online.

Would have been nice to know the component weights before you put everything back together to see how it compared to the strokelab setup.

• Like 2

This is a really cool project I wouldn't have thought to try. I'm interested in your thoughts on performance and feel. I found the Stroke Lab concept very compelling - I could certainly feel the "stroke" more and would even say it helped me swing the club. My issue was more the feel of the insert. I have considered doing a Stability Shaft or a Stroke Lab shaft on my gamer but I don't want to mess with it so I haven't touched it. I will be very interested in your thoughts on this. Well done!

• Like 3

This is a really cool project I wouldn't have thought to try. I'm interested in your thoughts on performance and feel. I found the Stroke Lab concept very compelling - I could certainly feel the "stroke" more and would even say it helped me swing the club. My issue was more the feel of the insert. I have considered doing a Stability Shaft or a Stroke Lab shaft on my gamer but I don't want to mess with it so I haven't touched it. I will be very interested in your thoughts on this. Well done!

If you prefer a milled face the new Toulon putters are available in stroke lab as well. You could go give those a roll and see if you like them.

• Like 1

A couple early observations:

I played 27 holes yesterday, celebrating my 40th birthday. Played 18 in the morning with my sons, and then another 9 in the afternoon with another local pastor whose a close friend of mine. My short game remains a total flaming Hindenburg, but I had a really nice day putting: 44 total putts for the 27 holes, or 1.63 per hole. I really didn't make anything terribly long, but (this was key) I wasn't missing short ones. I think there were maybe two or three putts all day that I feel I should have made that I didn't.

Comparing strokes gained putting in yesterday's rounds with the five rounds before:

image.png

So the first positive here is that I didn't destroy my putting by disassembling a putter that was working well for me 🙂

As for feel: I can't say that the feel of impact has changed a lot, but the putter feels very balanced and very comfortable.

• Like 6

Okay, so I just did this same project 4 days ago. Strange coincidence.

I did it to my red ball because there is no stroke lab red ball. I find that mine has noticeable flex to it. Not so much on the actual putting stroke, some but not much. But if you give it a Jason Dufner waggle you can definitely feel it. I used a stiff driver shaft and then today replaced that with an X stiff hybrid shaft. 25" of hybrid shaft and 10" of metal. Thoughts?

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, Justwanna69 said:

Okay, so I just did this same project 4 days ago. Strange coincidence.

I did it to my red ball because there is no stroke lab red ball. I find that mine has noticeable flex to it. Not so much on the actual putting stroke, some but not much. But if you give it a Jason Dufner waggle you can definitely feel it. I used a stiff driver shaft and then today replaced that with an X stiff hybrid shaft. 25" of hybrid shaft and 10" of metal. Thoughts?

Interesting. Do you find the flexibility the same between the two shafts that you built? How much overlap do you have between the steel and graphite?

This is very tempting for my EXO 7s from the year before they put stoke lab shafts into the EXO line... Great work on the build... I don't think I ever had a round of 1.6 putts/hole, jealous. 

Hope it keeps performing for you. Speed control is my biggest issue so the stroke lab shaft is of interest. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:49 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Interesting. Do you find the flexibility the same between the two shafts that you built? How much overlap do you have between the steel and graphite?

The x stiff was stiffer. I have since solved the problem by using a carbon hiking pole. Works great.