TESTERS WANTED! ×

A DIY Stroke Lab shaft? Why not!

GolfSpy MPR

Cool project! End result looks pretty cool too! Nice work. I’ll have to check in and see how you like the feel of this DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

This is neat. When rolling a stroke lab, the first takeaway was how much better I felt the head weight thorough the stroke. Does this have that same effect?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Love the ingenuity in this and interested in hearing the results. Wish I had thought of this!

Just to help clarify what stroke lab did was to make a putter that had the same total weight and distribute the weight to the head and grip ends. Pretty sure You can find the % distribution online.

Would have been nice to know the component weights before you put everything back together to see how it compared to the strokelab setup.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is a really cool project I wouldn't have thought to try. I'm interested in your thoughts on performance and feel. I found the Stroke Lab concept very compelling - I could certainly feel the "stroke" more and would even say it helped me swing the club. My issue was more the feel of the insert. I have considered doing a Stability Shaft or a Stroke Lab shaft on my gamer but I don't want to mess with it so I haven't touched it. I will be very interested in your thoughts on this. Well done!

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

This is a really cool project I wouldn't have thought to try. I'm interested in your thoughts on performance and feel. I found the Stroke Lab concept very compelling - I could certainly feel the "stroke" more and would even say it helped me swing the club. My issue was more the feel of the insert. I have considered doing a Stability Shaft or a Stroke Lab shaft on my gamer but I don't want to mess with it so I haven't touched it. I will be very interested in your thoughts on this. Well done!

If you prefer a milled face the new Toulon putters are available in stroke lab as well. You could go give those a roll and see if you like them.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Okay, so I just did this same project 4 days ago. Strange coincidence.

I did it to my red ball because there is no stroke lab red ball. I find that mine has noticeable flex to it. Not so much on the actual putting stroke, some but not much. But if you give it a Jason Dufner waggle you can definitely feel it. I used a stiff driver shaft and then today replaced that with an X stiff hybrid shaft. 25" of hybrid shaft and 10" of metal. Thoughts?

On 7/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, Justwanna69 said:

Okay, so I just did this same project 4 days ago. Strange coincidence.

I did it to my red ball because there is no stroke lab red ball. I find that mine has noticeable flex to it. Not so much on the actual putting stroke, some but not much. But if you give it a Jason Dufner waggle you can definitely feel it. I used a stiff driver shaft and then today replaced that with an X stiff hybrid shaft. 25" of hybrid shaft and 10" of metal. Thoughts?

Interesting. Do you find the flexibility the same between the two shafts that you built? How much overlap do you have between the steel and graphite?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 3 weeks later...

This is very tempting for my EXO 7s from the year before they put stoke lab shafts into the EXO line... Great work on the build... I don't think I ever had a round of 1.6 putts/hole, jealous. 

Hope it keeps performing for you. Speed control is my biggest issue so the stroke lab shaft is of interest. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 3 months later...

DIY Stroke Lab, Part Deux is underway:

image.png

Full WITB with pictures

I thought I was going to have this finished today, but the grip I ordered has been delayed by USPS. The rest is done, however:

IMG_20191123_093440.jpg

I'll do more of a play by play of the build when I have a keyboard handy. One addition: there's a small piece of shrinkwrap at the joint. It's covering a tiny bit of paint chipping on the graphite, giving it a cleaner look.

Full WITB with pictures

I am going to try that--- Just have to figure out which putter I want to try it on. I am thinking I have a Ray Cook mallet in the stash out there but can not remember if it has a straight or bent shaft in it. I may try it in one of the numerous Ansers I have since I have been putting on and off with them for 40 years. In fact I have some Matrix shafts in the shop and I also have a steelfiber one too. I will figure it out after Church tomorrow. Also remember I have a bunch of those old Pro Force 65 Gold ones too in X flex which are about like rebar

Also I will enlighten you younger guys about the twist and torque thing. A lot of your older putters ie: Bulls Eyes , Spalding TP Mills and Tad Moore came with what is called a 'fluted shaft"- Those shafts have like little intentions about 3 or 4 inches above the head. That is said to help with torque etc and enhance feel. I know a lot of us older guys will sometimes stick Bulls Eye flare tip shafts in Ping and Scotty putters for this reason. A flare tip shaft is one where the shaft actually slides over the machined part of the hosel.  

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

LOL just thought about something funny. You said in your original post you were thinking of fixing the seam with pinstripe tape. For me I would use electrical tape or medical adhesive tape. On my end it would be for kicks and giggles since most around my home course think I have a screw loose or am a nut case. I can hear it now " That Stu has flipped out he has a putter with half a graphite shaft taped together with tape" Now one thing I can tell you is if you are concerned with graphics on the shaft you can conceal by using electrical shrink wrap. There is not enough heat involved to hurt the shaft's integrity or the epoxy bond. In fact you can melt the stuff with a hair dryer. Lots of DIY guys on WRX have custom colored shafts like that. I have not tried it myself personally because I am not into all of that but just offered a suggestion

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

LOL just thought about something funny. You said in your original post you were thinking of fixing the seam with pinstripe tape. For me I would use electrical tape or medical adhesive tape. On my end it would be for kicks and giggles since most around my home course think I have a screw loose or am a nut case. I can hear it now " That Stu has flipped out he has a putter with half a graphite shaft taped together with tape" Now one thing I can tell you is if you are concerned with graphics on the shaft you can conceal by using electrical shrink wrap. There is not enough heat involved to hurt the shaft's integrity or the epoxy bond. In fact you can melt the stuff with a hair dryer. Lots of DIY guys on WRX have custom colored shafts like that. I have not tried it myself personally because I am not into all of that but just offered a suggestion

Not sure if you saw, not I went with the shrinkwrap on my latest build, two posts above. I've used it for whole shafts before; this is the first time I've used it for an accent.

Full WITB with pictures

Yep you are correct I missed the whole paragraph under the picture---- Chalk it up to another senior moment

G

This is very interesting. I love that you guys are doing this. I have always wanted to tinker, but the cost of all the equipment has always stopped me. So kuddos to you guys for doing this.

Here are some  questions I have regarding this. 

1. Would it be best to use the stiffest possible graphite shaft possible for this set up? 

2. Other than changing the weight what are you trying to accomplish? 

3. Are you negating the potential benefits of the graphite by putting steel at the end? (only as strong as your weakest link idea).

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 12/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, pajerus said:

can U play this or is not conforming? i've made one with stiff steel and reg graphite

I have not seen anything in the equipment section of the rules of golf that would deem it non conforming----- BUT!!!! let someone start making a lot of putts and winning a lot of majors and get Brendell and Frankie Poo at the GC stirred up and the USGA will surely ban it

G

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I have a bi-Matrix x flex shaft in the garage it already has the steel tip, and I am not using it for anything. I wonder what would happen if I cut that down🤔. I probably won’t, but...

giphy.gif

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 month later...

I played a round with a guy on the UST marketing team who did this. Took an F5/XS recoil shaft and an old steel tip. Interesting feel. 

Having tried both the stroke lab and the BGT shaft I’m not 100% sold but if it helps you feel good over the ball odds are it helps.