TESTERS WANTED! ×

MALTBY ISO-T DRIVER

Popeye64

I have always been a fan of the Maltby gear and the recent wave of new irons, hybrids and fairways woods have been truly stellar. I have put those clubs up against a lot of OEMs on a launch monitor and they fair equal and most times better. Maltby used to have monster drivers but the last few releases have been ho hum.

This ISO-T is new construction technology that has never been done. Theory is that cold dies pull heat out of Titanium forging and the metal suffers from the various temp changes. So now Maltby has developed a way to super heat the dies so that when the titanium is forged there is no heat loss and hold its qualities it was designed for. So this has been a big driver release for them.

They have had issue with supply and the process in itself is tough on the dies so they are moving production and supply has been very limited.

So when available I could only get a 9.5. I normally play a 10.5 Rouge and I tinker with loft here and there. I struggled with consistency in a very bad way and that lack of consistency hurt distance in a big way. I really need a change from the Rouge

I put together a 9.5 head with an Xcaliber TSL in TS flex. At first I hated this driver. I have been playing composite heads for a while and the sound and feel are quite different. First range session was miserable but it at a minimum kept up with the Rouge. I gave it two more trys before i brought it out on course. Each time I gained confidence and a huge jump in consistency. On course this driver was awesome. It produces a low boring very strong flight the hits and just keeps going. I was able to completely eliminate the left side of the course. Drives were in spots that I had not found in years. I was averaging 285 with one crazy long 320 drive. Today I had it on another course that was much narrower. I again took a very aggressive line and just let it rip. Straight or a tiny fade. Only hit one slice all day long and hit one 300 yards. I hit a few M5 shots on identical holes and the M5 flew much higher but no further overall.

I almost returned this driver head the first week I had it. It's not a game improvement head. I have seen some of the website reviews of super senior golfers struggling with this head.... it's not for them!!!

The sound is loud compared to a composite head but it's not too loud. Find the dead center and it's a felling that you simply crushed it. Out on the toe let's you know you hit it there and will produce a draw. Two days in a row of simply killing this driver has really surprised me. I just didnt see it first time out.

In truth I need a bit more loft but as it sits it's in the bag for the foreseeable future. If you are looking at this club consider lofting up. The changeable weight port in the rear of the club allows all sorts of swing weight options and a heavier weight does increase launch. It's a solid driver that needs a serious look.20190721_112105.jpg1563823760957.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good info, thanks for the write up.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I had this out oncourse again and just as before it was super consistent. I changed shafts to a Paderson Launch just for giggles and it did launch higher. But I think it also spun more. The launch monitors are down so cant get any numbers.

I went to the range and brought an M5 9.0 with a Haz Smoke in an X flex. At the end of the range there is an uphill. Where the Maltby would fly lower it would hit into the hill. The M5 was landing on tip of the hill. The best shots of the Maltby made the hill as well but I really had to work to get it there. Feel wise I like the Maltby better and it has a more pleasing sound. The M5 has a muted thwack.

Putting it up against the M5 is sort of the high water mark. For a non optimized setup it hung in there pretty well. Oncourse it was keeping up a little better because of rollout.

Though the M5 is longer the Maltby was more consistent. I could hit some left pulls with the M5 that you just cant hit with the Maltby. As for which one I would game.... toss up on how tight a course I'm playing.

I found a 10.5 head and will report back in two weeks after some head testing. This is a very intriguing head. Once you groove it the feel is explosive off the face. Kind of feel where you dont have to look up to know it's a missile.

I really want to repeat that this head has a learning curve and I dont think it will fair well for an off swing. When I get the 10.5 I'll grab some people for some input and see how they do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the 10.5 I have is leaving me baffled. I am really struggling with it. It must be hit perfectly in order to go anywhere. The 9.5 has been a beast. I can hit it all over the face and still be in great shape. Not sure what's up with the 10.5.
Feel with the 9.5 is awesome. The 10.5 feels funky. I even have a shaft in the 10.5 that worked well with the 9.5. Head scratching.

Update on the 10.5....

I reahafted the 10.5 with a Paderson Launch shaft. It was night and day. The club was very repeatable and consistent. Where. The 9.5 was just a head of the M5 the 10.5 is a wash. I hit a lot of back to back shots with each club and the performance was nearly identical. Launch, shot shape, roll out. All very similar.

Both the 9.5 and the 10.5 heads will perform very well. Just make sure you choose your shaft carefully.

• 1 month later...

Finally had these on the monitor today along with the M5. Long story short the 10.5 with the Paderson shaft is a low spin setup that is just as long if not longer than the M5.

I was on a GC2 and put all three through a first round and kicked out the low performer. The 9.5 I struggled with in doors as it was hitting these big fades. I hit all three outdoors yesterday and the 9.5 was playable.

So first up I hit the M5. It has a Hazardous Smoke 6.5. Head was set at 9.5, one weight in the middle, one weight towards the heel. I tend to draw this setup a bit but it's just a bit. This is the first snap shot.

Next up was the ISO-T 10.5. Paderson Launch shaft in S but it's a stiff X. The spin was lower and the dispersion was a bit better. It also has a better feel through the ball. I have the 4g weight on the sole. This actually swing weights about C8, M5 is a D2.The ISO-T beat out the M5 and had I thrown out a bad swing the margin would have been higher. The M5 was 275 and the ISO-T should be 280. Not a massive distance but it's still 5 yards.

The 9.5 ISO-T had a 12g weight that I swapped into the 10.5 head. It increased spin almost 300 rpm. I then went back to back with it and the M5 and the two produced very similar spin launch and distance.

So for in play tomorrow I will bring out the ISO-T. 20191003_150556.jpg.29fb7704e874f1c389ebd6625aed1d22.jpg20191003_151342.jpg.8b9636f5852e7206369148297c6dadee.jpg

Finally had these on the monitor today along with the M5. Long story short the 10.5 with the Paderson shaft is a low spin setup that is just as long if not longer than the M5.
I was on a GC2 and put all three through a first round and kicked out the low performer. The 9.5 I struggled with in doors as it was hitting these big fades. I hit all three outdoors yesterday and the 9.5 was playable.
So first up I hit the M5. It has a Hazardous Smoke 6.5. Head was set at 9.5, one weight in the middle, one weight towards the heel. I tend to draw this setup a bit but it's just a bit. This is the first snap shot.
Next up was the ISO-T 10.5. Paderson Launch shaft in S but it's a stiff X. The spin was lower and the dispersion was a bit better. It also has a better feel through the ball. I have the 4g weight on the sole. This actually swing weights about C8, M5 is a D2.The ISO-T beat out the M5 and had I thrown out a bad swing the margin would have been higher. The M5 was 275 and the ISO-T should be 280. Not a massive distance but it's still 5 yards.
The 9.5 ISO-T had a 12g weight that I swapped into the 10.5 head. It increased spin almost 300 rpm. I then went back to back with it and the M5 and the two produced very similar spin launch and distance.
So for in play tomorrow I will bring out the ISO-T. 20191003_150556.jpg.29fb7704e874f1c389ebd6625aed1d22.jpg20191003_151342.jpg.8b9636f5852e7206369148297c6dadee.jpg

It’s a dang shame they had the smash set at 1.36! Jeez, that’s REALLY low for a driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

21 minutes ago, PMookie said:

It’s a dang shame they had the smash set at 1.36! Jeez, that’s REALLY low for a driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah but all that impacts is club head speed. Ball speed is what it's actually reading and thats all that matters 

7 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

I had not been on this machine before and I was surprised given the club head speed how low the ball speed was. They were TP5x balls. At least it was consistent.

Actually the machine only measures ball speed, so that is accurate 

The head speed is what is calculated based on the fixed smash factor. Smash factor in reality was probably higher which means your actual clubhead speed was lower 

Actually the machine only measures ball speed, so that is accurate 
The head speed is what is calculated based on the fixed smash factor. Smash factor in reality was probably higher which means your actual clubhead speed was lower 
Well then my swing speed is definitely down then. I'm usually 108 -110 when I'm warmed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this head. I have two of these shafted up. The 10.5 with the Paderson shaft that has been my gamer and the 9.5 with an Xcaliber Superlite55.
Last week I got some time in the simulator and brought an M5 along as a bench mark. It was a GC2 but hitting into a white screen. For me it's really tough to not see the ball flight. So with the 9.5 I was hitting these giant slices that I couldn't seem to get to straighten out.
So I went head to head with the M5 in 9.5 and the ISO-T at 10.5. The ISO-T edged out the M5 by a few yards mostly due to its lower spin. It wasnt a huge difference but 3-4 yards on most swings.
So the 10.5 has been my gamer. Consistent, easy to control and good if not great length. Today I brought along the 9.5 for the hell of it to see what I can do out on the course. After a few shots that had a heavy fade near slice bias I changed up my swing a little and got the 9.5 to work. I was noticing I was in spots I had not seen all year long.
It turned out to be an absolute missile launcher. I was going past the 10.5 by 10-15 yards. I then left the 10.5 in the bag and really started to zone in with the 9.5. On the back side of the course there is a 353 yard par 4 that plays slightly downhill but then comes back up by the green. Closest I have ever been to this green is 45 yards or so. Today I hit two back to back balls with the 9.5. It was mid 50 degrees out and a swirling wind,,, but definitely not helping. As I walked down the fairway I was nervously looking around to see where the balls had gone because both were dead straight. I was dumbfounded that I would have lost either ball.. I kept walking and one ball was 10' short of the green and the other was pin high.
Some people have been very quick to write off these heads and I initially had some reservations but my god.. I havent hit balls that far in 20 years.

Also I cant say enough about how great of a feel the Xcaliber Superlite55 has. For being a shaft that's under $100 it has no right to be this good.

Today continued with the stupid long distance I'm getting. I drove a 285 yard par 4 uphill green. 343 yard par 4 15 feet short of the green. An uphill par 4 and my drive went 297. These are unheard of distances for me these days. Guys who I have been playing with for a while are looking at me sideways. Screenshot_20191015-134501_Golfshot.jpg20191015_133430.jpg20191015_132513.jpg

Boy, you've gotta quit posting this stuff! You're making my pockets burn! 😉

Looks like you're absolutely pounding that thing, good for you

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Boy, you've gotta quit posting this stuff! You're making my pockets burn!
Looks like you're absolutely pounding that thing, good for you
If you look at the picture of my app I have been averaging 275 all year long. I'm beating that by an easy 20 yards.
This driver will not help a bad swing as I can fade/slice it pretty bad if I swing like crazy... But.... hitting this driver flush,, it's a rocket. Off the toe puts out just as good of performance and has good gear effect to bring it back online. My best drives have been a relaxed, smooth yet strong swing. The kind where you look up and expect a decent drive yet it just keeps on going. The big thing is this wasnt a one day fluke. I crushed this two days in a row in very cool temperatures.
I finished the day today getting on in two at the 510 yard par 5. Plays slightly uphill the whole way, had 205 to the flag. I put a 5 iron with a little draw to pin high 12 feet away.. I came back down to earth though and two putted. 20191015_135845.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some quality time in the Simulator. The numbers I got confirmed everything I have been seeing on the course. For the session of 15 shots I averaged 293 overall. That's 20 yards further than what I was doing with my Rouge. I had a long of 307 with one stinker of about 208. Most of my bad shots were in the 275 range. Hitting this in the sweet spot has such and awesome feel.

Average spin was just about 2900 which is really impressive for my swing as I struggle with a neg AOA.

I let the pro hit it and he was getting insane ball speeds out of it.

Ball speed of 175mph on a 119mph swing. He loved it and was able to really let it RIP.

The Xcaliber shaft more than held up to his swing. He was hitting them right down the middle.

Winter has set in here so I might be done for on course play this year. Will be fun playing the Sim season this year with how I'm hitting driver. I'm actually even more excited for the coming spring and having a huge problem in my bag very well worked out. 20191108_160144.jpg.330635e2f7d133940f977c931f0bec62.jpg20191108_155700.jpg.cd46db8191753e9f906f6e44c3ce5086.jpg20191108_161429.jpg.c1b884ee4c3f1c36960f756b9692c780.jpg

I know you've mention you don't think it's a "game improvement" driver, so I'm curious what kind of player you think should take a serious look at the ISO-T? How consistent of ball striking, hdcp, seeing speed, seeing type, etc.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

I know you've mention you don't think it's a "game improvement" driver, so I'm curious what kind of player you think should take a serious look at the ISO-T? How consistent of ball striking, hdcp, seeing speed, seeing type, etc.
I have been having more in more people hit this. Good big thing with this driver is getting the correct weight in the soul to produce the right spin. Properly fit and set up correctly it can be a very potent driver. If you look at mallby's on website a lot of the testers were putting in A flex shafts and were quite senior players. That's the last guy I would put in this driver. A mid handicapper should do fine with this driver. What I'll say again it needs to be set up correctly Because at first I wasn't quite happy with it either.
I really think we have been spoiled with the concept of an out of the Box wonder driver... After a 1/2 dozen swings where ready to throw it in the bin if it doesn't fit us

I'm really still learning this driver and if you look at my 15 shot session I have some varying results. A 9.5゚ driver is fairly aggressive for me. But the reward is very worth it. Now that it's simulator season I'll take the 10.5 head and see if I can get some numbers that come close to the 9.5.

Some have complained about the noise but I have yet to any for anyone to say to me that's A LOUD driver. What They have said to me is good God that goes far.

Here is my summary from flight scope. I had a couple shots that were further left to right that I wanted but I was getting some good grouping out of the driver. That's 15 shots that would have been in play on almost any golf course.
The other summary is from 4 different shafts that I have been tinkering with with some pretty interesting results. All 6 iron PTM heads. 20191109_104520.jpg

20 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

The other summary is from 4 different shafts that I have been tinkering with with some pretty interesting results. All 6 iron PTM heads.

Wow. Those are some impressive numbers with the PTM heads. Are these with range or gamer balls? Making me wonder just how bad the range rocks I'm hitting right now are. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Wow. Those are some impressive numbers with the PTM heads. Are these with range or gamer balls? Making me wonder just how bad the range rocks I'm hitting right now are. 
That was using a Taylor made TP5. That was carry distance grouping in the lower picture. The PTM is a 28° head so it's not distance iron strong but it's a modern loft. The four shafts were a DG Tour 105, Xcaliber Tour X, Paderson TS-1 and a new Xcaliber Prototype shaft. The Paderson didn't spin as well as the others so its total distance is kind of high. I have a lot more testing to do for those 4. Out on the course I found the Prototype to be longest by 3-4 yards so this data is flipped. I have to see if I can repeat these results.

Just now, Popeye64 said:

That was using a Taylor made TP5. That was carry distance grouping in the lower picture. The PTM is a 28° head so it's not distance iron strong but it's a modern loft. The four shafts were a DG Tour 105, Xcaliber Tour X, Paderson TS-1 and a new Xcaliber Prototype shaft. The Paderson didn't spin as well as the others so its total distance is kind of high. I have a lot more testing to do for those 4. Out on the course I found the Prototype to be longest by 3-4 yards so this data is flipped. I have to see if I can repeat these results.

Good to know. Thanks. I was hitting the PTM 7 Iron (with C-Taper Lite Stiff) yesterday at the range and not seeing carry distances that would be in line with your 6 irons, hence my question. But I was hitting range rocks in 30 degree weather, so changing out the ball and adding 30-40 degrees to the ambient temperature would probably make up that difference.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Good to know. Thanks. I was hitting the PTM 7 Iron (with C-Taper Lite Stiff) yesterday at the range and not seeing carry distances that would be in line with your 6 irons, hence my question. But I was hitting range rocks in 30 degree weather, so changing out the ball and adding 30-40 degrees to the ambient temperature would probably make up that difference.
Hitting in doors with 70° temp and no wind is easy. Hitting outside bundled up in 30° is a monumental difference. I'm also swinging the 6 iron at 90 mph.

• 6 months later...
Popeye, I was interested in the Iso-T.  I see that you changed to the KE4 TC driver this season, how does the TC compare to the ISO-T?

So.. funny you should bring them up because I just finished a fitting. The 9.5 ISO-T was 15 yards further than any combination of KE4 I handed him.
He was carrying it 275-280. Plus they were dead straight.
Knowing this player I was almost certain that that was the driver he was going to do best with.
The shaft was a super light 55 by xcalibur.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk