Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Extremely tight fairways giving me fits

Big money

Why is it when I play the clubs with extremely low cut tight fairways my ball curves excessively? Either left to right or right to left ? You would think with today’s current ball and equipment this wouldn’t happen as much 

Keep it in the short stuff

More spin on the ball due to shorter grass and more friction could be accentuating the golf ball causing it to curve more than normal. The cleaner you pick the ball the more spin. That plus swing path and natural tendencies could be causing the ball to sway in one direction more than you are used to.

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

It's all about face angle and swing path.  Face open to the path... fade; face closed to the path... draw.  The equipment isn't going to fix that; might lessen it, but not fix it.  

If you are playing fine on wide open fairways, then the mental aspect of golf comes into play.  You see the tight tree-lined fairway and your brain says "Whoa!!  This is different!"  The tendency is for you to be more cautious and "steer" the club... which will change your path.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's all about face angle and swing path.  Face open to the path... fade; face closed to the path... draw.  The equipment isn't going to fix that; might lessen it, but not fix it.  
If you are playing fine on wide open fairways, then the mental aspect of golf comes into play.  You see the tight tree-lined fairway and your brain says "Whoa!!  This is different!"  The tendency is for you to be more cautious and "steer" the club... which will change your path.

I think he’s talking about grass height not tight as in tree lined, Kenny. I know that I expected tree lined when I clicked in but that doesn’t seem to be Big Money’s concern.

This is much like “fast” greens. Lots of people mistakenly believe that tour conditions are easier than our course set ups. The fact is the average rating for a course set up for a PGA tour event is around 77. Lots of luck if you aren’t used to tight fairways particularly if they are wet. And just for giggles the ball will spin more off of them.

It’s not surprising that anyone with a handicap would have trouble under those conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I think he’s talking about grass height not tight as in tree lined, Kenny. I know that I expected tree lined when I clicked in but that doesn’t seem to be Big Money’s concern.

This is much like “fast” greens. Lots of people mistakenly believe that tour conditions are easier than our course set ups. The fact is the average rating for a course set up for a PGA tour event is around 77. Lots of luck if you aren’t used to tight fairways particularly if they are wet. And just for giggles the ball will spin more off of them.

It’s not surprising that anyone with a handicap would have trouble under those conditions.

Exactly Rev. We play this particular course maybe once or twice a year.It holds many major events collegiate level. The fairways are so short and firm that even my divot swing only scruffs the surface at times. I guess it just shows me how far behind I am from accomplished well skilled golfers. It’s like hitting off of a pool table in thickness. Often I just get perplexed how good some of these golfers are who shoot par or under here. 

Keep it in the short stuff

Exactly Rev. We play this particular course maybe once or twice a year.It holds many major events collegiate level. The fairways are so short and firm that even my divot swing only scruffs the surface at times. I guess it just shows me how far behind I am from accomplished well skilled golfers. It’s like hitting off of a pool table in thickness. Often I just get perplexed how good some of these golfers are who shoot par or under here. 

I hear you! My club prides itself on tight fairways and fast firm greens. Breaking 80 there is like shooting even where I play in league.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD