TESTERS WANTED! ×

Airline travel

LeftyHawk

I've gone through and searched for thoughts on this question but can't find it, so I thought I'd post it.

In November I'm traveling to Arizona by plane. I'm really stuck as to weather or not to take the clubs on the plane or ship separately and hard shell case or soft?

For those of you who travel the airlines with your clubs, what are you thoughts?

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I used to travel with clubs.  Always used Club Glove.  Had a hard case long time ago.  PITA!  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I've used Club Glove for 15 years and it's still going strong. I can't justify shipping clubs when I have free bags on Delta.  I've saved enough money by not shipping that if a club breaks, I've already more than paid for it, and I get a new club!! 

A friend of mine had a hard side travel bag and you will have a very difficult time getting it in a rental car, depending on which one you get.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

I've gone through and searched for thoughts on this question but can't find it, so I thought I'd post it.

In November I'm traveling to Arizona by plane. I'm really stuck as to weather or not to take the clubs on the plane or ship separately and hard shell case or soft?

For those of you who travel the airlines with your clubs, what are you thoughts?

Chris

I recently found myself in the same boat and asked pretty much the same questions. No doubt, you will get a wide variety of answers. I opted for this case: https://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-4814W-Deluxe-Golf-Travel/dp/B000A13PGA

It's easily the most durable hard shell case currently available and I've read numerous reviews of guys who have had these for years and years. The downfall of this case is that it's not an easy fit in rental cars so unless you are alone (so you can lay it across the back seat or in the front seat) or renting a hatchback or SUV, I would recommend a soft case. There are plenty of good ones and the recent MGS Buyer's guide for travel cases can steer you in the right direction.

The last option is Ship Sticks. Again, I've seen plenty of good reviews and they even provide a cardboard box if you need it, but cost can be higher (excluding the cost of a case if you take your clubs on a plane).

How I justified going the hard shell case route: the case will last me a solid 10 years if not more and the company has a proven track record of good customer service if something on the case breaks. I don't travel often, but when I do this case will insure I'm protected from pretty much any scenario (it's also good to have when/if you move houses). Hard cases are also currently the only ones that airlines will provide insurance for in case of damaged clubs. Plenty of people get along just fine without this, but for me it provided a little extra peace of mind. Furthermore, SKB offers additional coverage should the airline insurance not sufficiently cover damages (up to $1500 I think). 

I have a feeling the consensus around here will be to go with a quality soft case and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Expect to pay somewhere around $200 or more if you want it to last for any length of time though. I'd also recommend a stiff arm club protector, removing the heads of any adjustable clubs, and additional protection with towels or clothing.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I bring on the plane as I’m a frequent flyer and get to check them in free, I use a soft Oggio case but first put a Home Depot bucket over the top of my bag to protect my heads, as well I wrap 2 golf towels around the club heads to prevent from rattling around, have been doing this for years with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I travel fairly often and always bring them on the plane.  I've never had any issues (knock on wood) and I have a soft case travel bag.  I put all my clubs towards the middle of my bag and take the metal woods off the shaft.  Also I wrap a couple towels around the club heads to help prevent rattling and to give more cushion.  

I would say if you can lug it around the airport, I'd opt for just carrying them on as it's usually cheaper by a decent amount I've found.

Also a colleague of mine did use ship sticks and the return shipping was very delayed and took him out of a tournament he was supposed to play after his trip.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I use a club glove soft case with the Bag Boy backbone. Never had an issue with a broken or damaged club and I was in the road with my sticks 65% of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

If you have free shipping I recommend using the airline. If not I recommend comparing the price at the airline with a company like “ship my sticks”.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going with the Club Glove with a Stiff Arm.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I bring on the plane as I’m a frequent flyer and get to check them in free, I use a soft Oggio case but first put a Home Depot bucket over the top of my bag to protect my heads, as well I wrap 2 golf towels around the club heads to prevent from rattling around, have been doing this for years with no issues.

The bucket is a great idea!! Can’t believe TSA has lost that baby yet though. 🤡 show, those guys.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going with the Club Glove with a Stiff Arm.
Chris

Best option, IMO. I travel with mine a LOT as well (they’re packed right now, flying tomorrow) and a good soft side (CG the best) and a stiff arm is a great combo. Wrap towels and remove adjustable heads. Don’t give them any chances to damage your gear.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I’ve flown the last two years for work and I’ve gone soft case, towels wrapped around my clubs (I use a towel every round to keep my clubs clean), and I remove the heads that I can and put them inside their head cover, then inside a side pocket, or in my actual luggage. I have one of the “stiff arms” that goes into the bag as well. I’ve had good success so far. I’ve had a free coupon for Shipsticks for over a year and never used it. It’s too inconvenient for me to ship 3 days ahead of time, to a course, and unless one puts their travel bag inside one of the Shipsticks boxes, I don’t see how the clubs are “safer”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm not a touring pro .. nor do I play on TV .. but I still like to have my own clubs with me when I travel. I have a Sun Mountain Club Glider which has plenty of room inside for extra padding (eg. foam or bubble wrap) around the whole bag. It's also really easy to roll around and maneuver one-handed.

Others have already mentioned but...
1. remove the driver head and pack it separately;
2. use extra padding around the bag for the shafts;
and,
3. yes a Stiff Arm is absolutely essential!

This past winter I found a deal on a hard-sided Samsonite case (model #6850) that's a reasonable weight and has plenty of room so you can fit your whole bag, shoes, etc., even some golf balls in it .. plus some extra padding .. and still be within the weight limit. I'm much more comfortable traveling with this type of case, and when it's upright with its 4 "spinner" wheels on the bottom it's fairly easy to roll almost anywhere.

Oh, PS:
Forgot to also mention about the Samsonite - you can pack your golf bag upside-down, so that the clubheads / the bulk of the weight are at the bottom when you're wheeling it, which makes it much easier!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg