TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge shaft selection .... Opinions

dan_t

Hey guys. One more question..... If I

Running project x high launch in. 5.0 flex taper tip, what would be a good shaft to compliment the shafts and flex? I am settled on the wedge heads already and I normally run with a 54 ( full shot 100 yard club) however I use a 60* for more feel shots (1/2 @ 3/4 swings) I know with rifle spinners they say to move down 1/2 flex point or so I have been told. So my thinking is to go something similar to my iron shafts in the 54* and say more a "wedge shaft" in the 60* am I correct in my thoughts here????

I had two clevelands with wedge flex shafts in them last year and they were like throwing darts literally

What would be an optimal shaft comb

For this kind of setup? I am kind of interested in the new dynamic gold spinners but whats the deal with the wedge and wedge + shafts??????

I had s300 on a set of callaway x dodgers but found them with no feel and very stiff in the past

Thank you

Dan

It would be noted too if

Got cut off. Btw I meant x tour wedges..... iPhone......

Anyway like I meant to say earlier, I will either run a .370 or run a .355 tip shaft with shim for my wedges as they are parallel tip heads

I was thinking on going 47 pitch 53 sand and 58 lob this time or may just stick with a 54/60. I always use the 60 out of the sand because of the nice big flange.

Thanks again guys

Did you bore out the wedge hosels? And I'm curious as to what you're asking as far as what shafts. Are you asking about flex or just shaft recommendations? What are you wanting them to do, go higher, spin more, etc.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

No the wedge heads are .370 tip

I was thinking what shaft would perform similar to the pitch wedge? And the 60 I would play that a little softer for feel and spin

The shafts I am running are discontinued. I was told though that the shorter clubs shafts were standard PX. Is this correct? What shaft would play similar to what I am setting up?

Thanks in advance

Then if they're X-tours, they've been bored out. Those were taper tips originally, they've only ever been offered in taper tips. How'd you determine they're parallel tipped?

The PX high launch are still available. I can get them from a few places.

As for the DG Spinners, they're available in 2 flexes, wedge and wedge plus. One is for 45-53 degrees, the other 54 and up. They're rated on loft, not swingspeed. I play them in my Scratch conforming wedges and have some

In CG12's. The spin is much higher in both than before. They're designed to launch the ball lower with more spin. They do this with a stiff tip and the hourglass section and how it presents the head at impact, deflected.

If you're wanting to hit the ball higher, you don't want the Spinners. Why you want your wedges to go higher, I don't know. You're going to lose distance and effect your gaps. The ball will fall out of the sky sooner because spin not changing but launch will. The KBS Hi-Rev is higher than the Spinner, but with a tad less spin (200-350 less RPM's).

Why do you want a softer flex in the 60 versus the 54? Just curious? They fall in the same flex category in most wedge shaft ratings and going softer isn't going to increase spin. Feel is subjective, but if you want them to feel better, dowel the shafts, don't tinker with flex.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Then if they're X-tours, they've been bored out. Those were taper tips originally, they've only ever been offered in taper tips. How'd you determine they're parallel tipped?

The PX high launch are still available. I can get them from a few places.

As for the DG Spinners, they're available in 2 flexes, wedge and wedge plus. One is for 45-53 degrees, the other 54 and up. They're rated on loft, not swingspeed. I play them in my Scratch conforming wedges and have some

In CG12's. The spin is much higher in both than before. They're designed to launch the ball lower with more spin. They do this with a stiff tip and the hourglass section and how it presents the head at impact, deflected.

If you're wanting to hit the ball higher, you don't want the Spinners. Why you want your wedges to go higher, I don't know. You're going to lose distance and effect your gaps. The ball will fall out of the sky sooner because spin not changing but launch will. The KBS Hi-Rev is higher than the Spinner, but with a tad less spin (200-350 less RPM's).

Why do you want a softer flex in the 60 versus the 54? Just curious? They fall in the same flex category in most wedge shaft ratings and going softer isn't going to increase spin. Feel is subjective, but if you want them to feel better, dowel the shafts, don't tinker with flex.

Hi Sorry for not being clear I own a few sets of wedges I had a set of x tours (.355) with the s300's they were way too firm for me

I had some cleveland cg12's last year with the cleveland traction true temper wedge shaft I really liked them because they felt softer then the s300 in the older x-tours.

I am using component clubs now because I really have good luck and like them

Maybe it was in my head the flex issue, Your information is excellent BTW THANK YOU this is the exact info I needed to go by.

Now I went with a HL in my irons because I want to try a different kind of blade this year I went with a forged cavity back and .355 tip shaft I have a swingspeed of 100 MPH with a driver and I hit a 6 iron 85 on average I have a smooth transition at the top. It isn't forced. I wanted to try a softer flex to load the club more and possibly gain carry distance. 99.9% time I run with KBS and I like them I have KBS .370 tours (130 gram shaft tipped @ 5.5) in my "other set" of clubs Maltby MMB 3-P plus 54* and a 60* I like the constant feel of this set of clubs. They are very smooth and not harsh. I tried PX 6.0 (NO) and 5.5 (so-so) This is why I try 5.0 now.

That being said, I know a 5.5 flex in .370 KBS plays like a PX 5.0 taper tip flex (so I have read) .... These clubs were an experiment (the newer set) I am going with a higher launch to maximize carry in my irons.... I really just want to get my iron play better I am a 8 handicap and if I can find the perfect set of clubs.... may just be the year for me. I have a third set too, same blade (MMB) however they are MOI fitted I really don't care for this combination They don't feel the same as other clubs to me.

So I gave a good explanation why I went HL it's an experiment.... maybe it will work out

Now from what you are saying the wedge + shaft would suit me, I hit a 54* wedge at full force (100 yard club) however I baby a 60* I hit a lot of 1/2 and 3/4 shots with that. I rely on that ONE club 60 yards and in.

So the spinner in wedge + that brings the ball in lower, I like that idea because I hit a PW about 115-120 at full swing speed ok I don't hit a lot of 1/2 shots with that club......

The 54 same deal full shots

The 60 is used for everything 60 and in I have a good feel with that club for trajectory and distance.... I use it out of all bunkers and don't have a good track record with a 54 in that department.

I was under the assumption that all wedge shafts were "softer" then their regular counterparts for shafts 3-PW I learned something today

So tell me on full swings how does the DG spinner shafts hold up any loss of distance?

I don't want the ball to "balloon" and lose distance as with these clubs, I have good confidence in them and know their optimal yardages. Maybe lower will bite more on green then what I am used too... Will control distances much better possibly with these shafts....see try it, may just improve the game.... thats why I want to try this

So in conclusion, wedge and wedge plus differences aren't stiffness they are in regards to loft, and if I run a 54 and 60 then wedge plus is the ticket for me. I tried a s300 wedge shaft and man did not feel a thing with it. Thats why I figured i'd ask about these newer shafts. I want to try them out but need more accurate information.

In regards to feel, will the 54 compared to the PW feel different with both shafts different? (PX HL to DG Spinner)

Thanks a lot for your very informative information

Regards

Dan

Hi Sorry for not being clear I own a few sets of wedges I had a set of x tours (.355) with the s300's they were way too firm for me

I had some cleveland cg12's last year with the cleveland traction true temper wedge shaft I really liked them because they felt softer then the s300 in the older x-tours.

I am using component clubs now because I really have good luck and like them

Maybe it was in my head the flex issue, Your information is excellent BTW THANK YOU this is the exact info I needed to go by.

Now I went with a HL in my irons because I want to try a different kind of blade this year I went with a forged cavity back and .355 tip shaft I have a swingspeed of 100 MPH with a driver and I hit a 6 iron 85 on average I have a smooth transition at the top. It isn't forced. I wanted to try a softer flex to load the club more and possibly gain carry distance. 99.9% time I run with KBS and I like them I have KBS .370 tours (130 gram shaft tipped @ 5.5) in my "other set" of clubs Maltby MMB 3-P plus 54* and a 60* I like the constant feel of this set of clubs. They are very smooth and not harsh. I tried PX 6.0 (NO) and 5.5 (so-so) This is why I try 5.0 now.

That being said, I know a 5.5 flex in .370 KBS plays like a PX 5.0 taper tip flex (so I have read) .... These clubs were an experiment (the newer set) I am going with a higher launch to maximize carry in my irons.... I really just want to get my iron play better I am a 8 handicap and if I can find the perfect set of clubs.... may just be the year for me. I have a third set too, same blade (MMB) however they are MOI fitted I really don't care for this combination They don't feel the same as other clubs to me.

So I gave a good explanation why I went HL it's an experiment.... maybe it will work out

Now from what you are saying the wedge + shaft would suit me, I hit a 54* wedge at full force (100 yard club) however I baby a 60* I hit a lot of 1/2 and 3/4 shots with that. I rely on that ONE club 60 yards and in.

So the spinner in wedge + that brings the ball in lower, I like that idea because I hit a PW about 115-120 at full swing speed ok I don't hit a lot of 1/2 shots with that club......

The 54 same deal full shots

The 60 is used for everything 60 and in I have a good feel with that club for trajectory and distance.... I use it out of all bunkers and don't have a good track record with a 54 in that department.

I was under the assumption that all wedge shafts were "softer" then their regular counterparts for shafts 3-PW I learned something today

So tell me on full swings how does the DG spinner shafts hold up any loss of distance?

I don't want the ball to "balloon" and lose distance as with these clubs, I have good confidence in them and know their optimal yardages. Maybe lower will bite more on green then what I am used too... Will control distances much better possibly with these shafts....see try it, may just improve the game.... thats why I want to try this

So in conclusion, wedge and wedge plus differences aren't stiffness they are in regards to loft, and if I run a 54 and 60 then wedge plus is the ticket for me. I tried a s300 wedge shaft and man did not feel a thing with it. Thats why I figured i'd ask about these newer shafts. I want to try them out but need more accurate information.

In regards to feel, will the 54 compared to the PW feel different with both shafts different? (PX HL to DG Spinner)

Thanks a lot for your very informative information

Regards

Dan

Wedge 124 G shaft is for sand and lob wedges and wedge + (131 g) is for gap and pitching wedges

OK so the wedge shaft... is the one for the 54* and up club...... so i'd play two of the same flex in both my clubs correct?

Now I can run these shafts in a .370 tip head.... I just need to shim it correct????

Thanks again

Wedge is for SW/LW (54 degrees and up), Wedge+ is for 53 degrees and less.

As for feel differences, there are lots of factors that effect feel. Grip selection, build quality, materials of the clubheads, forged versus cast, etc, etc, etc. It's hard to say if they'll "feel" different. I play KBS Tours in my iron sets and have DG's in one set as well. The DG Spinners don't feel any different to me from any of the others, but I built every set of clubs I own to very tight tolerances and with the same doweling technique on every one (the spinners were tricky because the hourglass section has an insert in it for feel, so they had to go in through the tip and then had to be fitted differently than most doweling applications. But, the extra work was worth it because they feel the same as before.

As for them launching lower, yes, they launch significantly lower than other wedge shafts I've tried, but the spin is higher than any other wedge shaft (proven in robot testing as well). They're great shafts, IMO, and do very well for those that are playing conforming grooves at recovering lost spin from the groove rollback. The great thing about these shafts is that even on less than full shots, spin isn't lost due to their design. The Hi Rev also does this, but the spin rate is lower than DG's.

In The Bag

Rookie Blue

I am going to go with the gut and do wedge + on the 54* and regular wedge on the 60* I think I will be FINE

Looking forward to trying the lower launch and added RPM

Ordered the stuff today and I am like you. I use KBS shafts in my gamers' but this set I am building now well, again I am just like you I want it to be built to exact and prefect tolerances. I measure and cut and weigh multiple times. It is a sickness.

You just never know until you build it right? Plus it's fun.

I had a UST .350 stiff shaft in a driver here... wow didn't fit it (head) at all ok felt like bad swings.

So I got a new head a few days ago.... pulled the UST and re shafted it to this head.... Like a different club completley Never had a driver that felt so right and hit it so well.

Thats the thing about equipment, some set ups feel awesome but some you need to swap around til you get it to feel just right.

Thats the theory I have come to accept as what works for me

Thanks again man!

Wedge is for SW/LW (54 degrees and up), Wedge+ is for 53 degrees and less.

As for feel differences, there are lots of factors that effect feel. Grip selection, build quality, materials of the clubheads, forged versus cast, etc, etc, etc. It's hard to say if they'll "feel" different. I play KBS Tours in my iron sets and have DG's in one set as well. The DG Spinners don't feel any different to me from any of the others, but I built every set of clubs I own to very tight tolerances and with the same doweling technique on every one (the spinners were tricky because the hourglass section has an insert in it for feel, so they had to go in through the tip and then had to be fitted differently than most doweling applications. But, the extra work was worth it because they feel the same as before.

As for them launching lower, yes, they launch significantly lower than other wedge shafts I've tried, but the spin is higher than any other wedge shaft (proven in robot testing as well). They're great shafts, IMO, and do very well for those that are playing conforming grooves at recovering lost spin from the groove rollback. The great thing about these shafts is that even on less than full shots, spin isn't lost due to their design. The Hi Rev also does this, but the spin rate is lower than DG's.

• 1 month later...

For years I have been taking whatever shaft I have in my irons and tip them like 8 irons. I cut to length from butt. I do this for both SW and LW. This gives me a softer feel for these scoring clubs!

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

Archived