TESTERS WANTED! ×

Superstitions on the Course

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

I always like to hear about the different superstitions and rituals that go along with someones game. Lucky socks, no #3 balls, & etc.

For me, I have my Chinese dragon coin ball marker in the right pant pocket and my Byron Turf's up tool in my left. Numerous times, after putting and repairing ball marks, i put them in the wrong pockets, or even together in one pocket. That just won't do. I swear I feel the weight wrong on my thighs. As I step up to the next tee shot, I always make sure they are back in their correct pockets.

How about you?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I don't like #4 balls, and prefer a #3. 3 is a good score on any hole. Ball marker in right pocket with tees, one spare ball in left. That's about it. aside from the chicken foot...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I actually stopped carrying an extra ball in my pocket to the tee because subconsciously that told me I was going to need it after I shanked the first one. So now no extra ball.

Volvo Intorqueo

Yup, and I don't drink at home in front of the kids much, if any. I can't go out and party like I used to in college, so a relaxing beer or three on the golf course is some of the only times I can enjoy some. Sad, but reality.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

huh... I'm trying to think of odd things I do on the course, and I can't think of anything...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I have a few things that I catch myself doing. I always put my tee in my right pocket and after I finish a hole the ball goes in my right pocket. In my left pocket I keep my divot tool and ball marker. I am also extremely methodical when it comes to my pre-shot routine.

I don't really have any, per se....but one thing I do is if I'm marking my ball with a coin that has a face on it, I always line the face pointing or looking towards the hole. If it's got an animal on it, I always have their nose to the hole.

I actually stopped carrying an extra ball in my pocket to the tee because subconsciously that told me I was going to need it after I shanked the first one. So now no extra ball.

Comfort is a huge issue with me. Can't have an extra ball protruding in my pocket. Same thing goes for my wallet, cash, keys, and cell phone. I have a Crown Royale pouch that I put all my personal items in before the start of each round. Also, I like to keep my bag super organized... So I use old medication bottles to store tees, ball marks, etc. Gots to keep it neat!

I always powder the boys before a round. Sorry, too much?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Comfort is a huge issue with me. Can't have an extra ball protruding in my pocket. Same thing goes for my wallet, cash, keys, and cell phone. I have a Crown Royale pouch that I put all my personal items in before the start of each round. Also, I like to keep my bag super organized... So I use old medication bottles to store tees, ball marks, etc. Gots to keep it neat!

I'm the same way... I can't stand to h ave anything in my pockets other than 2 tees and a pencil in my right, and my ball marker/divot tool in my left... I also usually have a ball in my right, but that's kinda uncomfortable...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I just thought of another: when I mark my ball with the aforementioned Illinois state quarter, I like to start with Lincoln facing up and looking at the hole. If I miss a putt that I feel like I should make, I blame Abe for not seeing the line and I let the eagle have a shot at it. If the eagle misses (because it's never my fault), then it's back to Abe.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I just thought of another: when I mark my ball with the aforementioned Illinois state quarter, I like to start with Lincoln facing up and looking at the hole. If I miss a putt that I feel like I should make, I blame Abe for not seeing the line and I let the eagle have a shot at it. If the eagle misses (because it's never my fault), then it's back to Abe.

Wow, you actually put a lot of thought into that. If you make it, does Abe or the Eagle get any credit or do you hog all the glory for yourself?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well I do have one, I try not to ever answer my cell phone on the course, it's always bad news, and I always play worse after answering it!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Wow, you actually put a lot of thought into that. If you make it, does Abe or the Eagle get any credit or do you hog all the glory for yourself?

I have no idea where it came from, it's certainly not something I thought up and then brought to the course. I think I just got annoyed and flipped the coin one time and probably made the next putt. It's not something I adhere to religiously, just something that makes me laugh on the green.

and I'm very generous with the credit, they got a solid "atta boy" before they look at the next putt.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Balls in left pocket.. Tees in right. I can't play if I have my cellphone or money clip in my pocket. I prefer number 3 balls (in highschool when we got balls for tournaments, I got the 3s as a sophomore [first year playing] and I just liked them) My putter grip has to be clean or else I will look at it and my putting will suck. I think gloves are pointless and if your hands can't get a grip then you need to change your grips. I have a routine for my driver/woods/irons/ wedges. And another routine for putting. I only use white wooden tees.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

I always powder the boys before a round. Sorry, too much?

As that no one else has chimed in, yes...

Well I do have one, I try not to ever answer my cell phone on the course, it's always bad news, and I always play worse after answering it!

Played a round with a buddy whose wife was pregnant. Popping time pregnant. He heard other phones ringing as we played and he freaked out. My brother and I changed our ringtones to match his and started calling each other. He got pissed, but laughed. Then his actually rang, and his round ended up being 7 holes that day with his daughter coming before we finished at the 19th.

Volvo Intorqueo

Played a round with a buddy whose wife was pregnant. Popping time pregnant.

What, like a turkey?

Funny deal with the phones though. You guys are cruel.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Balls in left pocket...

Sounds painful.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Oh yeah...one other superstition I have: if I play badly, everyone else in my group must die.

I'll make sure not to play in front of you. Because if I play slow, everyone in n you're group will die....

Sounds painful.

Sounds like a meaningless post to get points for the contest...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

My only "superstition" is that I use colored balls (I know, very stereotypical girl) because they're easy to find.

If you read the posts about the new Yellow Srixon balls, you will find that there are a lot of men who want color too.

These are "tour" balls though so playing a colored ball is ok. :(

You should make Matt play a colored ball as a handicap when you play together.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived