bens197

MGS Ball Test - Buyers Remorse?

Our Sponsors

Ok...now that I have your attention I have two questions.

For those of you who used this data to pick a new golf ball, which ball did you switch to and are you convinced you found a better ball?

I switched from the Vice Pro Plus / Pro V1 to the OnCore Elixr and I have no doubts that I am playing a better, more durable ball.

• Like 3

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

I was playing Snell before the test and still playing Snell

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

FW: :taylormade-small:M4 - 3HL (16.5 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-W KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Started testing balls in April before the test came out.  Had a hard time distinguishing between my two favorite balls, Pro V1x and Snell MTB-X so chose the cheaper option.  Was having consistency issues for a couple of weeks but have since determined it is set-up related.  I had drifted a bit back on my heels in my set-up, leading to inconsistent ball striking.  Especially in the short irons and wedges.  

I feel comfortable enough with where I am to order 5 dozen more Snell MTB-X last week.

• Like 5

I recall the MSG Ball Test. And... I found it interesting. But that's it. I didn't use the Test date for anything. Certainly not selecting a ball to play.

I haven't made any adjustments to the "balls" I play. I play several and might play a different ball from one day to the next. No biggie to me. I basically have one requirement and that is... a Urethane cover. I play between a 3-5 hcp. Not bad for an old guy. Heh! However, my game I feel is good enough where if I play a PV1 or a Snell or an MG Tour C4, or TM or Callaway will suffer or improve in any appreciable way. I've played my best and worst rounds with all of them. It was never the balls fault. If I were a Tour Player and on the sponsor gravy train I'd play their ball exclusively. Who wouldn't. But for us Amatures I believe all that's necessary is to play a good quality ball you like and move on. A guy with a 12-15 hcp isn't going to discover nirvana by switching to a top of the line ball. However, if you think/feel that playing one brand/model makes a difference or gives you an edge by all means go for it. My personal testing says it doesn't.

• Like 7

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've always had a couple balls in rotation - ProV, TP5, and Srixon.  All are fairly close, but I have found the TP5's to generally be a bit longer than others which compares with the test.  I echo some of what @PlaidJacket says about a good urethane ball.  The only ball I've probably found that I dislike are Callaways, but everything else, it's more about the mental approach.

One caveat for me is if I'm playing in significant wind.  I have found that one ball may fly a little bit better than others at times, but really the majority is about the strike at the end of the day.

• Like 4

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

I had mentioned in the big thread that I normally play softer balls such as the Duo or Q Star Tour. I like the feel (and price) however I played a couple of higher compression urethane balls (ProV1x and B330-RX) and played quite well. So I'm seriously pondering the next couple of dozen balls that I purchase.

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

The ball test helped influence my switch.  I was trying out the usual suspects from Titleist, Bridgestone, and Snell as well as a few "cheaper" options like the Bridgestone e6/e12.  I wanted to try a Srixon before deciding when an article about the Q-Star Tour 2 appeared.  Based on that article and the ball test I tried the Q-Star as opposed to the Z-Star .  For me, it performed equally well as anything else and became one of my top choices.  I was down to the MTB-Black or the Q-Star Tour 2.  I caught a Buy 3 Get One Free Srixon sale online and went for the Srixon.  Before the ball test, I may not have given Srixon a go because I was just going to play a "top ball" and be done with it.   I find the Q Star to be a very durable ball too.  I definitely feel I am playing a better ball now.

• Like 2

I haven’t switched because I’m a Prov1 or 1x user. The test has me considering testing the Bridgestone balls again since it’s been awhile that I’ve had them in the bag. I wasn’t a fan of rx or rxs after the switch to the tour b design. The b330 s bad x weren’t a good fit for me but I’m curious about the new version.

the test and the findit cutit has me avoiding time with other balls that had my interest 

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I tried out the Maxfli Tour golf balls based on the report since they looked similar in stats to the Srixon XV I've been playing for years but had a softer compression rating.  So far I've had ZERO complaints about these balls.  They are doing everything I need them to do out on the course and equal anything I've ever tried.  I wish they made them in a gloss yellow but I'm so happy with them I'm not too worried.  I really have never even looked at a Maxfli ball since the Revolution back in the 90's.  Picked them up for $25 a dozen too which was just icing on the delicious cake.

• Like 3

My bag is a revolving door!

I like what you’re saying@plaidjacket and it’s likely you aren’t a quirky player. At least it doesn’t seem that way.

I liked the Vice and the Pro V1 but always figured if I could squeeze a little out of each I’d be happy.

I wasn’t pleased with the short game spin off the Vice and I don’t want to pay $48 for a dozen of golf balls.

Thanks to you guys who have chimes in, it’s interesting to read how it impacted each of your games.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

As a part of the MTB-X testing for the forum, our results should be coming up this weekend/ next week. I think all of us have had some interesting results, so if you are interested in those balls, definitely check it out.

I will be very heavily discussing the "feel" of these balls and what that means for me.

• Like 4

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I started playing the Z-Star as a result of the test and the BOGO sale. I don't regret it for a second. Very durable and performe very well for me. 

• Like 2

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

I was playing the MTB Black and switched to the MTB-X. The X is staying because I like the feel of it and I'm certain that I'm getting a little bit more distance out of it.

• Like 4

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

image.png

I’m probably an odd ball, but...

I am using the data in a different way. I spin everything too much. I gave that AVX a go last year I believe when my game was off. Going to give it another try, still get a urethane cover with a lower ball flight and less spin all around.

Very near future there will be a V1 vs V1x vs AVX vs Z Star vs Tour B X/XS battle.

• Like 3

I switched to the Z star and have no regerts. Though on colder days, I would switch back to the Q star tour. To me, the Z is by far the firmest ball of all the tour quality balls.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 3

I’m probably an odd ball, but...

I am using the data in a different way. I spin everything too much. I gave that AVX a go last year I believe when my game was off. Going to give it another try, still get a urethane cover with a lower ball flight and less spin all around.

Very near future there will be a V1 vs V1x vs AVX vs Z Star vs Tour B X/XS battle.

I wonder how the MTB-X would perform for you.
  • Like 1

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

I wonder how the MTB-X would perform for you.

Didn’t. Just finished up my stage 2 on it.

Ballooned my iron shots with them.
  • Like 1

Didn’t. Just finished up my stage 2 on it.

Ballooned my iron shots with them.

D’oh...I forgot you were testing 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • Like 1

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

D’oh...I forgot you were testing 🤦🏼‍♂️

Hard to keep track. Lots of good stuff going on around here!

They aren’t in the won’t ever use again category, but not in the must have either. For me anyways.

I over analyze a lot. Like why does the 8 on the 8 iron look like a different font than the rest...?

• Like 3

I order 4 dozen Pro VIx's at the start of every season.  I love PlaidJacket but do disagree with him on this matter.  I agree that you could and should play a Urethane ball but there are subtle differences between each of them - it's best practice to pick one and stick with it for the entire season IMO.  There's a big difference between having a 5 footer or a 7 footer for par and changing balls round to round can easily account for that difference.  Why introduce a variable that doesn't need to be there?

By virtue of the MGS test we also know that there are some ball OEM's whose quality control is better than others.  So yes if you take a spec Taylor Made, Srixon, Titleist, etc. you are going to see very little difference in performance but we know that Taylor Made will have more inconsistencies from ball to ball.  So again, why introduce a variable?

I may be unique though - I don't loose many balls - I still have 2 dozen of the 4 that I got at the start of the year in my closet and there are over a dozen balls in my bag including two fresh sleeves.  I rarely crack into the last dozen prior to receiving next year's balls.  Cost is not as big an issue for me as for some, I just don't lose many golf balls.  The advantage of not hitting it very far. 🙂

• Like 6

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them