TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Ball Test - Buyers Remorse?

bens197

Ok...now that I have your attention I have two questions.

For those of you who used this data to pick a new golf ball, which ball did you switch to and are you convinced you found a better ball?

I switched from the Vice Pro Plus / Pro V1 to the OnCore Elixr and I have no doubts that I am playing a better, more durable ball.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I was playing Snell before the test and still playing Snell

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Started testing balls in April before the test came out.  Had a hard time distinguishing between my two favorite balls, Pro V1x and Snell MTB-X so chose the cheaper option.  Was having consistency issues for a couple of weeks but have since determined it is set-up related.  I had drifted a bit back on my heels in my set-up, leading to inconsistent ball striking.  Especially in the short irons and wedges.  

I feel comfortable enough with where I am to order 5 dozen more Snell MTB-X last week.

I recall the MSG Ball Test. And... I found it interesting. But that's it. I didn't use the Test date for anything. Certainly not selecting a ball to play.

I haven't made any adjustments to the "balls" I play. I play several and might play a different ball from one day to the next. No biggie to me. I basically have one requirement and that is... a Urethane cover. I play between a 3-5 hcp. Not bad for an old guy. Heh! However, my game I feel is good enough where if I play a PV1 or a Snell or an MG Tour C4, or TM or Callaway will suffer or improve in any appreciable way. I've played my best and worst rounds with all of them. It was never the balls fault. If I were a Tour Player and on the sponsor gravy train I'd play their ball exclusively. Who wouldn't. But for us Amatures I believe all that's necessary is to play a good quality ball you like and move on. A guy with a 12-15 hcp isn't going to discover nirvana by switching to a top of the line ball. However, if you think/feel that playing one brand/model makes a difference or gives you an edge by all means go for it. My personal testing says it doesn't.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've always had a couple balls in rotation - ProV, TP5, and Srixon.  All are fairly close, but I have found the TP5's to generally be a bit longer than others which compares with the test.  I echo some of what @PlaidJacket says about a good urethane ball.  The only ball I've probably found that I dislike are Callaways, but everything else, it's more about the mental approach.

One caveat for me is if I'm playing in significant wind.  I have found that one ball may fly a little bit better than others at times, but really the majority is about the strike at the end of the day.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I had mentioned in the big thread that I normally play softer balls such as the Duo or Q Star Tour. I like the feel (and price) however I played a couple of higher compression urethane balls (ProV1x and B330-RX) and played quite well. So I'm seriously pondering the next couple of dozen balls that I purchase.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

The ball test helped influence my switch.  I was trying out the usual suspects from Titleist, Bridgestone, and Snell as well as a few "cheaper" options like the Bridgestone e6/e12.  I wanted to try a Srixon before deciding when an article about the Q-Star Tour 2 appeared.  Based on that article and the ball test I tried the Q-Star as opposed to the Z-Star .  For me, it performed equally well as anything else and became one of my top choices.  I was down to the MTB-Black or the Q-Star Tour 2.  I caught a Buy 3 Get One Free Srixon sale online and went for the Srixon.  Before the ball test, I may not have given Srixon a go because I was just going to play a "top ball" and be done with it.   I find the Q Star to be a very durable ball too.  I definitely feel I am playing a better ball now.

I haven’t switched because I’m a Prov1 or 1x user. The test has me considering testing the Bridgestone balls again since it’s been awhile that I’ve had them in the bag. I wasn’t a fan of rx or rxs after the switch to the tour b design. The b330 s bad x weren’t a good fit for me but I’m curious about the new version.

the test and the findit cutit has me avoiding time with other balls that had my interest 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I tried out the Maxfli Tour golf balls based on the report since they looked similar in stats to the Srixon XV I've been playing for years but had a softer compression rating.  So far I've had ZERO complaints about these balls.  They are doing everything I need them to do out on the course and equal anything I've ever tried.  I wish they made them in a gloss yellow but I'm so happy with them I'm not too worried.  I really have never even looked at a Maxfli ball since the Revolution back in the 90's.  Picked them up for $25 a dozen too which was just icing on the delicious cake.

My bag is a revolving door!

I like what you’re saying@plaidjacket and it’s likely you aren’t a quirky player. At least it doesn’t seem that way.

I liked the Vice and the Pro V1 but always figured if I could squeeze a little out of each I’d be happy.

I wasn’t pleased with the short game spin off the Vice and I don’t want to pay $48 for a dozen of golf balls.

Thanks to you guys who have chimes in, it’s interesting to read how it impacted each of your games.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

As a part of the MTB-X testing for the forum, our results should be coming up this weekend/ next week. I think all of us have had some interesting results, so if you are interested in those balls, definitely check it out.

I will be very heavily discussing the "feel" of these balls and what that means for me.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I started playing the Z-Star as a result of the test and the BOGO sale. I don't regret it for a second. Very durable and performe very well for me. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I was playing the MTB Black and switched to the MTB-X. The X is staying because I like the feel of it and I'm certain that I'm getting a little bit more distance out of it.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I’m probably an odd ball, but...

I am using the data in a different way. I spin everything too much. I gave that AVX a go last year I believe when my game was off. Going to give it another try, still get a urethane cover with a lower ball flight and less spin all around.

Very near future there will be a V1 vs V1x vs AVX vs Z Star vs Tour B X/XS battle.

I switched to the Z star and have no regerts. Though on colder days, I would switch back to the Q star tour. To me, the Z is by far the firmest ball of all the tour quality balls.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I’m probably an odd ball, but...

I am using the data in a different way. I spin everything too much. I gave that AVX a go last year I believe when my game was off. Going to give it another try, still get a urethane cover with a lower ball flight and less spin all around.

Very near future there will be a V1 vs V1x vs AVX vs Z Star vs Tour B X/XS battle.

I wonder how the MTB-X would perform for you.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Didn’t. Just finished up my stage 2 on it.

Ballooned my iron shots with them.

D’oh...I forgot you were testing 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

D’oh...I forgot you were testing 🤦🏼‍♂️

Hard to keep track. Lots of good stuff going on around here!

They aren’t in the won’t ever use again category, but not in the must have either. For me anyways.

I over analyze a lot. Like why does the 8 on the 8 iron look like a different font than the rest...?

I order 4 dozen Pro VIx's at the start of every season.  I love PlaidJacket but do disagree with him on this matter.  I agree that you could and should play a Urethane ball but there are subtle differences between each of them - it's best practice to pick one and stick with it for the entire season IMO.  There's a big difference between having a 5 footer or a 7 footer for par and changing balls round to round can easily account for that difference.  Why introduce a variable that doesn't need to be there?

By virtue of the MGS test we also know that there are some ball OEM's whose quality control is better than others.  So yes if you take a spec Taylor Made, Srixon, Titleist, etc. you are going to see very little difference in performance but we know that Taylor Made will have more inconsistencies from ball to ball.  So again, why introduce a variable?

I may be unique though - I don't loose many balls - I still have 2 dozen of the 4 that I got at the start of the year in my closet and there are over a dozen balls in my bag including two fresh sleeves.  I rarely crack into the last dozen prior to receiving next year's balls.  Cost is not as big an issue for me as for some, I just don't lose many golf balls.  The advantage of not hitting it very far. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I had bought 4 dozen Kirkland balls beginning of year after the TXG video on them. (2 sets of 24). Was not hitting my irons as far as used to, but chalked it up to being early in season. Then the testing showed that they were shorter than other balls. Took advantage of Costco’s generous return policy to return 2 dozen and then picked up the Maxfli Tour-X based off the test and sale at Dick’s. Very happy with it. Also very happy with Callaway Diablo that my wife got personalized for Father’s Day. They also performed well. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Hard to keep track. Lots of good stuff going on around here!

They aren’t in the won’t ever use again category, but not in the must have either. For me anyways.

I over analyze a lot. Like why does the 8 on the 8 iron look like a different font than the rest...?

We deserve these answers!!! 🤣
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

No buyer's remorse here. I've played ProV1X, ProV1, TM Penta TP5, TM Project (a), TM Leathal, TM TP5X and now back to ProV1X. I've liked all of those balls... no issues with any of them. I will probably just stay with ProV1X from here on.... they are easy to find on line and on the golf course...lol.

The one ball that I really do miss is the Penta TP5. I really liked that ball.

So before the testing came out I used the Callaway Chrome Soft. After reading the data and everything I decided to go out and try the Snell MTB-X and Pro V1X (Never really thought about buying them due to price). I could not try out the Snell MTB-X because they were out of stock. I just placed an order of 2 dozen MTB-X to put it through its paces to see if it the new ball for me. But for now I am liking the Pro-V1X. The reason I like it is the distance off the tee and the durability. I try to use one ball for the entire round and the Pro-V1X usually can withstand a whole round without damages to the outside cover which I like. So next week I will be trying out the Snell MTB-X for two rounds next week and will see how it holds up against the Pro-V1X! 

Nike: Vapor Speed 8.5 Degree (Diamana Whiteboard X-Stiff 70G)

Nike: VRS Covert 3 Wood (Diamana Whiteboard X-Stiff)

Taylormade: P790 2 Iron (Project X Hazard Shaft X-Stiff)

Adams: 3H (20 Degree) Super 9031  (Diamana Whiteboard Hybrid Stiff)

Nike: Vapor Pro 4-PW (Stiff)

Titleist: 54 and 60 Vokey SM5 

Odyssey: Toe Up #1 

No buyers remorse for me. For the last 10 years or so, I consistently played the Taylormade tour ball from TP Red/Black to the TP5/TP5x. I had played Titleist from the time I started golf till I made the switch and last year while in Phoenix and playing TPC Scottsdale, I found an AVX, played it and loved it. I play in windy conditions most of the time so lowering launch and spin seemed like a good thing. The added bonus of them feeling great and the fact that I had no issues around the greens made it an easy decision for me so I played them and scored quite well. I had, at times, a concern it wasn't the best ball for me due to launch conditions with the driver though I really enjoyed it with ever other club in the bag.

When the MGS Ball Test came out I thought I would try the 2019 ProV1 and it was fantastic and would have settled there had it not been for the Srixon review. Like Rev, I don't lose many balls, so I don't think too much about the finances of a ball - just performance and preferences. In fact when I received the 2 dozen Srixon to test my wife said, "You'll never buy golf balls again!" I'm thankful for the Srixon review because I have been exposed to a ball I never otherwise would have played and now as Survivor said, "The Search Is Over."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I bought Bridgestone B X, Pro V1X, Srixon XV, and played what I had left of my TP5X. I just recently added Pro V1 to the mix since they flight lower than the V1X. I’ve been happy with all of them! To pick one to go with for good is going to be tough to do. Of these I’ve tried, the TP5X are my least favorite. No buyer’s remorse on the rest at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I switched to the Z star and have no regerts. Though on colder days, I would switch back to the Q star tour. To me, the Z is by far the firmest ball of all the tour quality balls.

Take Dead Aim

If you think the Z is firm? The XV must feel like a rock to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I dont know about buyer's remorse but I did play the Snell MT-B after the test and enjoyed it but now play the Titleist Velocity and like it better.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

As a bit of an older and mildly handicapped player dealing with some limitations, when I got back into golfing, I started with the :bridgestone-small: e6.  For me, the results were good and over the year I learned to play the ball well.  We do adapt our game to all the equipment we use. 

I have played a number of soft balls over the past few year, but seem to prefer the e6.

When the e12 was released, I tried it out and made the switch.  Again, for how I play, I am quite happy with the way they play.  My swing is still being redeveloped.  So, I want some aspect of my game to be somewhat steady. 

I do loose some golf balls every now and then. And, as I AM retired, cost is a factor.

:titelist-small: did give me a few sleeves of Pro V1x to play. Given may rather sub-par club speeds, I did not see me playing them too often at this time.  I forwarded them on to my son who loves them.

I am happy with the decision I have made, and for now, will live with it.  I do expect from time to time I will experiment. 

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).