TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Ball Test - Buyers Remorse?

bens197

I was playing the Chrome Soft till I read the ball review.  Since then I went through a ball fitting and with my slower swing speed I was fitted into the Pro V1X.   I have played about 10 rounds with the new ball and do see a more consistent short game and improved distance from the tee.

Retired and play three time a week.  Equipment junkie...

For me it will not make much of a difference. Interesting test, loved reading the results and the comments have made for much entertainment! 🤣

I did play last week with a friend who uses Chromesofts, he loves them. He’s not a reader of MGS so I mentioned to him about the results of the Chromesofts. He didn’t believe it. So I tossed him a Kirkland from a sleeve I had in the bag.

Yep, you guessed it. He blasted that thing a country mile. The jaw dropped and the stuttering began. That was fun to watch as well.

I do agree that I need to move up to urethane but for me, I don’t think the exact ball will matter much. Balls tend not to stay too long in my bag, they flee like dogs running away when the firecrackers start on the 4th of July

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I switched from the Chrome Soft X to the Bridgestone Tour BX, it took a little getting used to the feel of the Bridgestone since the Chrome Soft is such a soft feeling ball while the Tour BX is much harder.  But as we know now, soft=slow.  I have seen an increase in distance as expected.  Another thing that I had to get used to was around the greens.  Chipping I had to land the new ball shorter then the old one due to less spin.  I have played the Tour BX all season and now love it. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 7/26/2019 at 6:40 AM, PlaidJacket said:

I recall the MSG Ball Test. And... I found it interesting. But that's it. I didn't use the Test date for anything. Certainly not selecting a ball to play.

I haven't made any adjustments to the "balls" I play. I play several and might play a different ball from one day to the next. No biggie to me. I basically have one requirement and that is... a Urethane cover. I play between a 3-5 hcp. Not bad for an old guy. Heh! However, my game I feel is good enough where if I play a PV1 or a Snell or an MG Tour C4, or TM or Callaway will suffer or improve in any appreciable way. I've played my best and worst rounds with all of them. It was never the balls fault. If I were a Tour Player and on the sponsor gravy train I'd play their ball exclusively. Who wouldn't. But for us Amatures I believe all that's necessary is to play a good quality ball you like and move on. A guy with a 12-15 hcp isn't going to discover nirvana by switching to a top of the line ball. However, if you think/feel that playing one brand/model makes a difference or gives you an edge by all means go for it. My personal testing says it doesn't.

I could not agree more.  I have also played and tested balls over the last couple of years.  I finally settled on the chrome soft because I liked the distance-spin performance.  That does not mean that it is the longest ball that I have played, but overall (for me) it is the best performing ball when I take into consideration distance, spin, and feel.  I think that the MSG Ball Test is a good place to start..but I think that taking the time to try several good quality balls over a season will yield better results.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

If you think the Z is firm? The XV must feel like a rock to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just compared to ProVs

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Just compared to ProVs

Take Dead Aim

Ah, I got it.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

On 7/27/2019 at 1:55 PM, isaacb1994 said:

So before the testing came out I used the Callaway Chrome Soft. After reading the data and everything I decided to go out and try the Snell MTB-X and Pro V1X (Never really thought about buying them due to price). I could not try out the Snell MTB-X because they were out of stock. I just placed an order of 2 dozen MTB-X to put it through its paces to see if it the new ball for me. But for now I am liking the Pro-V1X. The reason I like it is the distance off the tee and the durability. I try to use one ball for the entire round and the Pro-V1X usually can withstand a whole round without damages to the outside cover which I like. So next week I will be trying out the Snell MTB-X for two rounds next week and will see how it holds up against the Pro-V1X! 

What were your results? I tested the MTB-X for the forum and was a chrome soft-x player before that. I loved the MTB-X and was a huge fan. I found it superior or equal to to tour levels from many other companies, which is saying something. I hope it worked for you as well!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I had always played whatever was on sale at DSG, typically TopFlite, I felt I wasn't good enough for it to matter. As I began to get more serious about my game I started trying out different balls to see if I found a difference. I liked Pro V1x and the pattern on the TP5 pix really suited my eye. I'm a data nut and gear head so when the ball test came out, I was all in.

The results of the test would have led me to play Pro V1x but, loosing balls is a bit of a problem for me and $48/dz hurts. So I picked up 2 dz Snell MTB-X in yellow. I'm never looking back. I'm a total convert to color and the performance and consistency has given me more confidence in my game. I tried using a sharpie to put a pattern on the ball but it just ended up on my clubs!!!

Edited by Stealth147

I guess you could say I've got a bit of buyers remorse, mostly like why did I buy all those dozens of Wilson Duo Softs!?  I have noticed much better green sticking power since I starting trying urethane balls, and with so many affordable urethane options on the market now there is no reason not to play them.  Maybe I'll save the soft, 2-piece ones for the winter.

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

... I was totally happy with my TP5x. I still am. I have never liked the Srixon XV's as I thought they were like hitting concrete balls but the MGS test, along with some Srixon XV threads here convinced me to try some of the 2019 XV's that are supposed to be softer. Surprisingly I found them equal to my TP5x's. At $20 a dozen it was a no brainier. I ordered 5 dozen with free shipping for $99. I play almost every day and start every round with a new ball. The Phoenix desert takes a real toll on balls and I can easily go thru 2 or more in a round down there.  So I just ordered another 5 dozen Srixon XV's before the sale went away. 😜

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Used Snells before and after the test. Have used K Sigs, Srixon Q Star Tours and Bridgestones in the past.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I switched from the Prov1 and Prov1x to the Srixon Z star XV...........however, after 6 balls it still feels a tad firm and clicky, stops well on greens but def less spin that I was used to around the green.

Tried a Callaway Chromesoft yesterday, I wasn't going to after the MGS expose on their potential quality and distance issues, but I found it very nice around the greens, more spin and nice off the putter face. The guy I played with 2 days ago was using a truvis chromesoft and was easily getting past my best drives with the XV and had decent role and excellent stoppage on the greens.

I think I need to try them more in competition. Found some yellow truvis in my ball cupboard so if the rain stops I'll use for a 36 hole comp this weekend.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, toehold57 said:

For me it will not make much of a difference. Interesting test, loved reading the results and the comments have made for much entertainment! emoji23.pngemoji849.png🤣

I did play last week with a friend who uses Chromesofts, he loves them. He’s not a reader of MGS so I mentioned to him about the results of the Chromesofts. He didn’t believe it. So I tossed him a Kirkland from a sleeve I had in the bag.

Yep, you guessed it. He blasted that thing a country mile. The jaw dropped and the stuttering began. That was fun to watch as well.

I do agree that I need to move up to urethane but for me, I don’t think the exact ball will matter much. Balls tend not to stay too long in my bag, they flee like dogs running away when the firecrackers start on the 4th of July emoji95.png

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I remember when the Kirklands first came out. You could not buy them in SC. One of my WRX buds from Florida sent me a sleeve. Now I was long as heck off the tee. No problem with spin for me either but because I hit a trap cut I can spin anything including range rocks. If you go back on here on the Kirkland thread I actually questioned the legality of those things. I got on a smoking hot deal getting used AAAA Vice and Snell balls so I have been playing them the last year or so. By accident I discovered another ball the TM Project A. I ended up with a dozen for renewing my club membership. I guess every Tom Dick and Harry got those too because I started finding quite a few around the course. Anyhow I started using them in vintage play and they go like hell off a persimmon driver and I had no problem stopping them with semi worn out vintage irons. Since I had so many of them I started playing them with the more modern stuff. Like Rev I do not lose many balls. I have shot 3 of my best rounds of the year with the modern sticks using the Project A ball. When I beat all of them to death I will more than likely go back to the Vice and Snell since I have so many

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I remember when the Kirklands first came out. You could not buy them in SC. One of my WRX buds from Florida sent me a sleeve. Now I was long as heck off the tee. No problem with spin for me either but because I hit a trap cut I can spin anything including range rocks. If you go back on here on the Kirkland thread I actually questioned the legality of those things.

... Yup, when they were first released no urethane ball went farther than any others for me, with the exception of the TP5x. Low spin and high launch gave me another 10 yds off the tee. I tried the original KS and it was right there with the TP5x. And they both spun great around the greens. I still have 2 dozen I am hoarding since they are magical  🧙‍♂️.  My son carries them close to 300yds on his best drives. The KS 3 piece is the opposite for me as it spins more than any ball I have played and I actually lose distance. But great for my wife that needs the extra spin. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Yup, when they were first released no urethane ball went farther than any others for me, with the exception of the TP5x. Low spin and high launch gave me another 10 yds off the tee. I tried the original KS and it was right there with the TP5x. And they both spun great around the greens. I still have 2 dozen I am hoarding since they are magical  .  My son carries them close to 300yds on his best drives. The KS 3 piece is the opposite for me as it spins more than any ball I have played and I actually lose distance. But great for my wife that needs the extra spin. 

I have never tried any of the Kirkland balls - I've heard about them but I always stuck with Taylormade after switching from Titleist. I've never been very adventurous with golf balls

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

When I pay for golf balls, it's the Pro V1X.  I will pick up and keep other urethane balls and play them when I'm playing badly.  But @JohnSmalls slipped a sleeve of Snell MTB-X balls into my Hard Rock Challenge prize pack, and he may have made me a convert.  

I do not mind firm golf balls.  Especially after the test.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, chisag said:

... Yup, when they were first released no urethane ball went farther than any others for me, with the exception of the TP5x. Low spin and high launch gave me another 10 yds off the tee. I tried the original KS and it was right there with the TP5x. And they both spun great around the greens. I still have 2 dozen I am hoarding since they are magical  🧙‍♂️.  My son carries them close to 300yds on his best drives. The KS 3 piece is the opposite for me as it spins more than any ball I have played and I actually lose distance. But great for my wife that needs the extra spin. 

I had sorta dismissed the Kirkland balls after I had beat those 3 I had to death. One day recently we were playing somewhere ( I forgot where) and it was slow and I was basically hawking balls. Some one ahead of me must have been a real hack because I found 6 Kirklands--- Did not realize they were the 'new" 3 piece ones. I threw them in one of the vintage bags. Ended up playing them one Sunday afternoon. Noticed they were ballooning off of the persimmon driver. Also noticed I was spinning the crap out of them with my almost worn out set of 54 Hogan Precisions. After a couple of holes I dug out a Cally Super Soft and my normal ball and spin flight resumed. Did some research and found out that those were the new releases. I think I gave those balls to one of our older members at the club that loves those balls

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G