Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Poults had someone booted from the WGC

Poulter has had run-ins with fans before, and has responded.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/heckler-who-harassed-ian-poulter-twitter-got-fired-his-job-florida-southern

I have no problem with rude and/or obnoxious behavior by golf fans being dealt with harshly.  I don't have much problem with rude Twitterers being dealt with fairly harshly, especially when they identify themselves with a specific employer.  If you want to act like a moron, especially via social media, do it using your own personal ID, not your company-based account.

That said, Poulter does have a reputation as being something of a primadona.  Even so, as a golfer going about his job he should at least be treated with decent manners and sportsmanship.  "Get in the bunker" fails that very modest level of behavior.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

No doubt about it...Ian makes himself a target and you make a good point Dave, but in this example I'd say the fan crossed the line.

Funny, I don't recall watching any European tour events where Americans are called out.  Maybe they don't pick up the audio or I'm not paying close enough attention.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Unfortunately, we're seeing more and more "ugly American" stories centered around the game of golf.  It's sad and disconcerting.  The PGA Tour needs to address it but they won't for fear of losing revenue.

Poulter can be thin-skinned at times but I would suspect, if we had to deal with the garbage he deals with on a daily basis, we would be a bit less tolerant as well.

Just now, sixcat said:

Unfortunately, we're seeing more and more "ugly American" stories centered around the game of golf.  It's sad and disconcerting.  The PGA Tour needs to address it but they won't for fear of losing revenue.

Poulter can be thin-skinned at times but I would suspect, if we had to deal with the garbage he deals with on a daily basis, we would be a bit less tolerant as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I think hoping someone will fail no matter what job they're doing is low class.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Maybe it's just me, but I think hoping someone will fail no matter what job they're doing is low class.

The opposing teams field goal kicker missing, receiver dropping the ball, basketball player missing a shot, soccer player missing the goal, baseball player striking out, golfer not getting a birdie because it will hurt my fantasy team, etc. While I don’t think telling out at a golf tournament is appropriate the world of sports is defined by people succeeding and failing at their job. Fans for one team root for the other team to fail. Kind of the nature of competition in both professional and amateur ranks.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

50 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The opposing teams field goal kicker missing, receiver dropping the ball, basketball player missing a shot, soccer player missing the goal, baseball player striking out, golfer not getting a birdie because it will hurt my fantasy team, etc. While I don’t think telling out at a golf tournament is appropriate the world of sports is defined by people succeeding and failing at their job. Fans for one team root for the other team to fail. Kind of the nature of competition in both professional and amateur ranks.

I don't have any issue with the fan's wishes that Poulter do poorly, but yelling out those wishes is bad behavior.  My issue is with the visible and audible lack of appropriate sportsmanship.  And golf is significantly different from those other sports in its tradition of honesty and sportsmanship.  No baseball pitcher has ever told the ump that a strike was really a ball, no offensive lineman has ever called holding on himself, no soccer striker has gently passed the ball to the goalie because he knew he was offside.  Golf is different, and golf fans should be expected (required?) to behave differently from the other fans.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I loathe being in agreement with Poulter on pretty much anything... but I'm with him on this one. It's just ridiculous. 

To me, it's one thing to be in a crowd of thousands so far away from a player that it's unlikely they'll hear anything you say or yell out. It's entirely another thing to be in a quiet crowd next to a golfer and yell out something stupid and insulting. It's reached the point of ridiculousness. 

Buying a ticket to a PGA event (or any other sporting event, really) doesn't buy you the right to act like an idiot. Yes, Poulter has certainly brought some of this on himself, but let's face it - every single golfer on tour deals with this garbage. I do think that there needs to be more calling out of it by both players and fans who are tiring of having some yahoo scream in their ear as soon as a shot is hit (or worse, during the swing itself).

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As time goes on I like Ian more and more. The guy is an awesome teammate and plays with a great fire. He treats the kids great and is overall just a fun and entertaining player. I know he’s been his own worst enemy with some of his twitter posts but let’s not forget those without sin cast the first stone.

The fans in golf are becoming dumber and dumber by the day. We need more of this from the players.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Poulter has become a US fan favorite target.  He definitely owns a bit of what he gets but I really don't like this relatively new "shout out loud so I can hear myself on replay fan". Whether it be "get in the hole" or "get in the sand"; I really hope the trend of loud obnoxious fans is reversed.  It's been getting worse as the years roll along.  We can probably thank The Wasted Management circus for this.  The PGA can absolutely put the kibosh on this but don't seem to care.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 3 months later...

Nope not just you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

11 hours ago, Charli said:

I see no issue with saying get in the bunker. As long as he said it after the swing zero issues with it at all. 

In my opinion, and as I said a few months ago in this thread, golf fans should be expected to show a similar level of sportsmanship as golfers themselves.  I would be irritated if someone in my foursome was shouting for my shot to go in the bunker (if he sounded serious), Poulter should not be required to accept that from fans.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia