Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Should i switch?

golfplaya

Went last night for a Mizuno fitting. Playing MP clubs you're clearly a more accomplished golfer than I am.

Fitting used the Mizuno fitting system - 3 swings of a club that has a number of sensors built into the shaft and a black box to record all of this.

I opted then for new JPX-800 head with Project X Rifle Shaft 5.5. Ended up I was 1" longer in shaft, plus 2 degrees upright. Also went for thicker grips. After this fitting, got these clubs and took them back onto the range. I have never before hit 10 shots in a row to within 2-3 yards of each other.

I was also able to fade and draw the ball properly (as opposed to aiming way left and slicing!). There's enough playability in these for me, and they are pretty forgiving.

If I were in your position I would take a look at the JPX-800 pro - the guy who fitted me used to be scratch and I know he has won a lot of top level amateur comps; he's now still a low handicapper and he has put these into his bag. His view was that that the ability to work the ball is there in spades because of the diamond cut sole; but the forgiveness is stupidly impressive.

BTW- previously I had been "fitted" in a pro shop. This involved me hitting balls at a net and the guy watching and listening, then selling me something out of stock. These were regular flex, regular lie, regular length irons. Initially I was pretty surprised when the Mizuno system advised something completely different to this, but after hitting balls with what it produced I was sold.

If you are going to change, I'd get properly fitted in this way and if you can get to one of those Mizuno systems you will not regret it.

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

• SPY VIP

Keep in mind that Mizuno doesn't force you to order a complete set. You could replace just your long irons (4-6 as an example) with MP-63s, or MP-53s, or even JPX-800 Pros, and still keep 68s as your scoring clubs.

It's not unheard of to play 3 different irons in your set (again as example 4 & 5, JPX-800 pro, 6-8 MP 63, 9 & PW, MP-68). The composition of the set is totally up to you, but with Mizuno, you can basically do whatever you want.

It's nothing that can't be done with any manufacturer, but Mizuno most definitely makes the process a little easier.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived