deejaid

New Golf Cart Batteries, Trojan Lead Acid or Upgrade to Lithium?

So it’s time for me to get new batteries for my golf cart. As you know, this is not an inexpensive purchase but I’ve been reading more about maintenance free lithium batteries and am intrigued.

My Club Car DS is a 48v and has 6- 8volt Trojan batteries in it. To replace with the same batteries I am looking at $1100-$1200. Cheaper Duracell batteries can be had for about $850. For $2000 I can upgrade to lithium batteries that claim to last for 5x the charge cycle of lead acid batteries, are maintenance free, weight 300 lbs less which will help performance of the cart.

So has anyone upgraded their cart to run lithium batteries? I’m looking at these from Allied Battery.

https://acegolfcartcovers.com/products/golf-cart-lithium-battery-set-for-club-car-ds2000-set-of-4-batteries-48v?variant=28357144936541

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are AGM batteries available for golf carts? I put a Duracell AGM in my truck and it's miles better than the lead acid that was once in it. The price difference was only about $30.

Are AGM batteries available for golf carts? I put a Duracell AGM in my truck and it's miles better than the lead acid that was once in it. The price difference was only about $30.

Don’t think the Duracell for golf carts is AGM, at least, I see no mention of AGM on the website.

• Like 1

Big difference between AGM and Lithium. AGM's have been a fairly common upgrade in boats for years, however you need a charger (on boats) that accommodates AGM's as the charge cycle is different. The charging I'm referencing is from 110 vs. charging off of an alternator as Matt has in his truck.

I imagine that the same is true for Lithium - special charger required. However, even with that in mind I'd be interested in learning more. I have 4 Trojan 12v that are at the end of their life. Current replacement cost in my area is about $1,000. (With my doing the replacing). Those Trojans are heavier than all heck so more life and lighter batteries is compelling. So definitely some interest on my part.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

We have just placed an order for 20 new EZ Go TXT cars with lithium batteries to replace 10 old off lease lead/acid cars. Should take delivery in 3-5 weeks. I’m quite excited about the reduced maintenance costs and wear and tear on the course due to lighter cars.

It’s my understanding that you can retrofit older golf cars with lithium ion batteries from a Prius. Might want to look into that as a possibility. (I think there is some type of conversation kit that has to be purchased and installed).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I found a dealer local and got 6 new 8V Trojan Lead Acid batteries for $900. I like the idea of the lithium as, like you said Tony, the Lead Acid weigh 70lbs each, so the weight savings with lithium would have been 300 lbs, but it would have been $2000 for the lithium batteries and new charger. I figured I’d go with the Trojans this time and in 6-7 years lithium prices should have come down.

• Like 1

We have just placed an order for 20 new EZ Go TXT cars with lithium batteries to replace 10 old off lease lead/acid cars. Should take delivery in 3-5 weeks. I’m quite excited about the reduced maintenance costs and wear and tear on the course due to lighter cars.

It’s my understanding that you can retrofit older golf cars with lithium ion batteries from a Prius. Might want to look into that as a possibility. (I think there is some type of conversation kit that has to be purchased and installed).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If I get a chance I'll post on a golf cart forum to see it anyone has done the upgrade. If you have to make upgrades to the electronics on board - it may not be cost effective.

• Like 2

So after some research it looks like the Lithium can be a direct drop in replacement for FC Batteries. However in pricing out both the batteries and charger - it doesn't make economic sense (between 1,900 - 2,400 for batteries and charger) .  On the other hand if I was buying a new cart I'd opt for the Lithium since the upcharge isn't that high 

Don't rule out gel batteries. Search for cell site backup power. Battery corp makes great deep cell. Batteryshark is a good website.

Ended up dropping 4 new wet cells in this past weekend. I got the new Crown batteries from my marina - they're standard golf cart batteries and ended up costing me $150. each. The identical Crown batteries at one local golf cart dealer were $190. The other local dealer stocks only Trojan 12v and he wanted $230 a piece. The Crown and Trojan batteries are identical in amp hr ratings.

Since this last set of Trojans only lasted me 4 years it didn't make sense to spend the extra $ for them. Also saved myself lots of $$$ by putting them in myself. Note: not recommended for people with bad backs since they weight 80+ lbs a piece.

Good find on the lithium upgrade, I'll definitely look in to that for next time.  Last time I'd looked in to it was a few years ago and there was no direct drop in solution.  Still cost at least $2k and you had to get a new charger and change the wiring in your cart.  

4 new 12v Trojans run me $800 up here.  Doesn't matter if I install or have the dealer do it, same price.  I can usually get 4-6 years out of a set so I'm a ways away from having to replace again.  If they truly last 5x as long and only cost twice as much it really does seem like a no brainer to go lithium.

Good find on the lithium upgrade, I'll definitely look in to that for next time.  Last time I'd looked in to it was a few years ago and there was no direct drop in solution.  Still cost at least $2k and you had to get a new charger and change the wiring in your cart.  
4 new 12v Trojans run me $800 up here.  Doesn't matter if I install or have the dealer do it, same price.  I can usually get 4-6 years out of a set so I'm a ways away from having to replace again.  If they truly last 5x as long and only cost twice as much it really does seem like a no brainer to go lithium.

Great price on the Trojans installed. The golf cart dealers around here want $200 to do the install which is why I did it by myself.

17 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Great price on the Trojans installed. The golf cart dealers around here want $200 to do the install which is why I did it by myself.

I did it myself last time too.  Made a DIY battery strap with some chain and carabiners and it worked great.  So much easier to get them out of the cart compared to doing it by hand without the strap.